NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
incompetentia

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:41 am

The bedrooms are on opposite sides of the kitchen in Dag - I don't think sleep patterns will be that big of a deal (I have horrible sleeping patterns and preferred studio for other reasons as well, but ended up with a 2BR).

You may be better off with off-campus housing, though. Seems like it's not too ridiculous if you know what you're doing.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jun 11, 2011 10:49 am

itimgtd wrote:are the rest of you waitlisted folks going to switch up your preferences in hopes of getting a spot or are you going to just get off campus housing? I really wanted to live alone (i swear im not antisocial, just prefer to not have to cater to my roommate's sleep cycle and stuff)..... but if finding off campus housing turns out to be as annoying as i think it'll be i might just budge and change my preferences to 'whatever you have available in mercer/d'ag... even if i have 8 roommates'.
I feel you on all of this. unsure whether Im going to email them back and change it to give me whatever. But right now I'm thinking I'm just going to get something off campus. There are mad studios in the east and west village that you can snag in the $1450-$1800 range in a nice elevator building and whatnot - a lot cheaper than the on campus

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:26 am

if you look on craigslist for a place, what location under NY would you be looking in? manhattan?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:29 am

glitched wrote:if you look on craigslist for a place, what location under NY would you be looking in? manhattan?
Life is cheaper in Brooklyn, but if you want somewhere closer to campus then yeah Manhattan.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:40 am

law_monkey wrote:
glitched wrote:if you look on craigslist for a place, what location under NY would you be looking in? manhattan?
Life is cheaper in Brooklyn, but if you want somewhere closer to campus then yeah Manhattan.
HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM... i dont want roommates lol

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:44 am

glitched wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Then go with the cheaper option which would be Brooklyn. Unless of course you want to take out the most loans possible.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:52 am

law_monkey wrote:
glitched wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Then go with the cheaper option which would be Brooklyn. Unless of course you want to take out the most loans possible.
wait but you know student housing... for it's location, isn't it super cheap? also i dont want to subway to school. :/

lol i guess ima just have to deal. i'm just a terrible roommate... looks like ima have to change my ways.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:02 pm

For its location (primarily, for the convenience really), it is a decent deal...but if you move about 30 blocks away, I think you're already looking at significantly lower costs.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 pm

so now just for some loan info then

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:29 pm

When it comes to convenience, I think it's best to focus on the subway route. If you're not in on-campus housing, you'll probably be elsewhere in Manhattan subway-distance away, in the East Village (about a 20-25min walk way) though these apartments are probably more difficult to find, or in Brooklyn. The only problem with Brooklyn is travel to and from Manhattan late at night - cabs don't like to go to Brooklyn, and from Brooklyn you'll probably have to call a car service. So you'll be at the mercy of the subway, which really slows down late at night. This sort of stuff is only relevant for going out, though, so if you plan to go out in BK, you're fine.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:44 pm

Oh dear.

edit: yeah, I don't know why I like it so much: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nt8r8fumEYY

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

Is there anyone on this thread that can shead some light on OCI interviews? Do they know our class ranking. . .do we even know our class ranking? Do they know our grades? What is the procedure to secure an interview? How do we provide them with YX&Z info on our accomplishments? Whatever experience you can share would be very helpful. Thanks

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:26 pm

You realize none of us go to nyu yet. Dude relax it will all come together

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Stoic

New

Post by Stoic » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:52 pm

thecilent wrote:You realize none of us go to nyu yet. Dude relax it will all come together
TITCR. I'll probably not be living in NYU housing though. I already saw what CLS housing did to my boy. Hopefully I can room with some friends who are moving to NYC for jobs. I hope that won't kill campus life for me.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:54 pm

Stoic wrote:
thecilent wrote:You realize none of us go to nyu yet. Dude relax it will all come together
TITCR. I'll probably not be living in NYU housing though. I already saw what CLS housing did to my boy. Hopefully I can room with some friends who are moving to NYC for jobs. I hope that won't kill campus life for me.
I'm not living in housing either. We can hang.

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:55 pm

Considering how much of a campus NYU has, you'll probably be okay. We've already decided on gigantic Brooklyn parties anyway...

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:01 pm

Renne Walker wrote:Is there anyone on this thread that can shead some light on OCI interviews? Do they know our class ranking. . .do we even know our class ranking? Do they know our grades? What is the procedure to secure an interview? How do we provide them with YX&Z info on our accomplishments? Whatever experience you can share would be very helpful. Thanks
Dunno if this is still accurate:

http://leiterlawschool.typepad.com/leit ... curve.html

It sounds like NYC firms just dump NYU and CLS resumes together and sort by GPA, as far as they handle the huge NYC T6 cohort they look at?

As far as the EIW process... I dunno. I recommend getting a 4.0 and law review, so you can phone it in.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:41 pm

ahduth wrote:I recommend getting a 4.0 and law review, so you can phone it in.
Copy that―I’ll drop you a line in three years asking for the phone #. Thx. 8)

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:47 pm

Who would settle for a four poinTTT oh? That curve has at least one A+ per class 8)

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:32 am

Stoic wrote:
elaborate bolded plz. tyia

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:17 pm

Anyone else having problems checking their NYU email? I have been able to check it before and got my housing info and everything, but since Saturday it gives me an error.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:51 pm

Mine is still working, although I went ahead and set up forwarding to my personal account as well.

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:42 pm

neyaae wrote:Anyone else having problems checking their NYU email? I have been able to check it before and got my housing info and everything, but since Saturday it gives me an error.
Since the switch to gmail a couple of weeks back you need to create a google accounts password (and, if you're checking through your gmail, change the account server).

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Dayan114 wrote:
neyaae wrote:Anyone else having problems checking their NYU email? I have been able to check it before and got my housing info and everything, but since Saturday it gives me an error.
Since the switch to gmail a couple of weeks back you need to create a google accounts password (and, if you're checking through your gmail, change the account server).
A hint if for everyone who uses gmail for personal email too: You can link your accounts in the top right corner (if you click your email address up there there should be an option to do it if you've enabled it in both accounts).

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:57 pm

wait did people get loan forms yet? just realized i never changed my address from college for the last month, sooo dk if they dent anything.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”