NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
ahduth

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by ahduth » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:45 pm

bleedblue wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote: Fuller disclosure: I am considering staying in Brooklyn even if I attend CLS, which is completely bananas, so take everything I say about commute times, etc. with a grain of salt.
:shock: :shock: That is pretty nuts. I kept reading that as if you actually meant to type the bronx(not sure if that is more or less nuts).

Has anyone worked on pinpointing the week for notifications of finalist status on named scholarships?? I looked it up once and I remember it being the second half of february but I cant remember if it was the last week or second to last week.
Last year it was this Friday.
Jeeesus. I... hope I get an interview and... I hope they schedule the interviews during an ASW.

WestOfTheRest

Silver

Post by WestOfTheRest » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:46 pm

I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:13 am

CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.
That being said, if I get one, I'm going, unless something magical and HIGHLY unlikely happens at Yale.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:23 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
CastleRock wrote:I hate how they put such a quick deadline on scholarship winners.
That being said, if I get one, I'm going, unless something magical and HIGHLY unlikely happens at Yale.
What about Harvard?

CR is commenting on the fact that it's an exploding offer. If they start handing this stuff out that soon... you'd be forced to eliminate those other options. As a forgotten at Harvard, the exploding aspect is pretty annoying.

Thankfully I won't get the scholarship I applied for, so this is all meaningless speculation for me personally. :D

LinzerTorte

Silver

Post by LinzerTorte » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:53 pm

ahduth wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
What about Harvard?

CR is commenting on the fact that it's an exploding offer. If they start handing this stuff out that soon... you'd be forced to eliminate those other options. As a forgotten at Harvard, the exploding aspect is pretty annoying.

Thankfully I won't get the scholarship I applied for, so this is all meaningless speculation for me personally. :D
If I get an RTK I would probably take it over Harvard, but not over Yale.

The bolded, however, applies just as much to me as it does to you!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:55 pm

When does nyu release fin aid info? Not the schollys

Frankie55

Bronze

Post by Frankie55 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:02 pm

As I understand it, neither named, nor Dean's/invitations to Dean's have gone out yet, right?

nyulawguy

New

Post by nyulawguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:44 am

Hi all! The NYU Law Class of 2014 group is up on facebook, and there are plenty of current students who are willing to help answer your questions (if they aren't getting answered here).

The addie is http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 02026&ap=1 and congrats to all of you!

nyulawguy

New

Post by nyulawguy » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:45 am

Also, regarding scholarship semi-finalists and finalists, the committees meet at different times, and then things get tricky. Sometimes people decline a semi-final or finalist interview, and then they bounce to the waitlist, etc... so it can stagger out pretty quickly.

Best of luck!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:40 am

I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:15 am

arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.
What happened?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:14 pm

arism87 wrote:I just called the admissions office and it was somewhat unpleasant.. sad face! That's the first time I've felt that way after calling a school.
I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:15 pm

law_monkey wrote:
I actually called with a question once, and they weren't all that polite to me either. It was right after I had called Duke about something too, and they're always super friendly. I'm sure they're nicer in person though.
Michigan admissions staff is top notch. And that's an understatement. Super friendly.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

Nothing in particular happened, just not all that polite I guess. Maybe I'm just accustomed to more from the south :) Although my question was regarding ASWs and I was told to email someone.. I did, and shortly after got the form email about ASWs. Did everyone get that again? I'm hoping it wasn't the response because it wouldn't really answer my question.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:23 pm

RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Michigan admissions staff is top notch. And that's an understatement. Super friendly.
Michigan is TTT

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:40 pm

thecilent wrote:
RJ127 wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Michigan is TTT
QFT. Also worth adding that the exploding offer thing barely gives you enough time to play it off other schools, but at least you'll have forewarning if you're selected as a (semi-)finalist. Are you really required to interview in person???

mst

Silver

Post by mst » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:42 pm

I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

-Courteous but god-awful slow: Cornell
-Nicest but I'm still not going there: Mich (which is impressive because it's so big)
-Worst: Columbia (running off prestige much?)

I never felt that NYU's office was rude or unpleasant. Just efficient, which is to be expected I suppose w/ the size of their incoming class.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:49 pm

mst wrote:I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

-Nicest but I'm still not going there: Mich (which is impressive because it's so big)

I never felt that NYU's office was rude or unpleasant. Just efficient, which is to be expected I suppose w/ the size of their incoming class.
Yeah I didn't feel that they were rude necessarily, but they weren't friendly either. And the bolded has so much truth. :(

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:54 pm

Starry & other GG fans: they're filming Gossip Girl near mah dormmmm!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:55 pm

mst wrote:I applied to a lot of schools and I agree that Dook was the most polite and helpful.

Other awards:

Times a million. Unpleasant, unhelpful, uninformative, and possibly untruthful. Good thing NYU would never stoop to such a blatant selectivity play.

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:07 pm

arism87 wrote:Nothing in particular happened, just not all that polite I guess. Maybe I'm just accustomed to more from the south :) Although my question was regarding ASWs and I was told to email someone.. I did, and shortly after got the form email about ASWs. Did everyone get that again? I'm hoping it wasn't the response because it wouldn't really answer my question.
Meh, this is NYU administration, or at least what I remember of it. You need to go through 3 phone menus and visit 4 different offices, before you find the person who can actually help you. That person is very friendly and concerned, and can solve your problem immediately - you do need to find them first, however.

One of the "perks" of going to a university with a student body population that's larger than a small town.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 4102011 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:10 pm

I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:50 pm

~
Last edited by cruelestgame on Sun Mar 31, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:03 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.
same
Oh good, that makes me feel better! Thanks!

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:04 pm

cruelestgame wrote:
dulcatis wrote:I got another generic form e-mail about ASWs, if that helps you at all.
same
+ another 1.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”