NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Muenchen

Silver

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by Muenchen » Fri May 06, 2011 9:37 am

hotthaichick wrote:Guys I need help. I am in love with NYU but Chicago just gave me $30,000 (total, not per year) in scholarship money. I have no money at NYU currently and I need to decide on Chicago by Monday!
Also combined with lower cost of living, I think this difference will be fairly substantial.

Please help convince me that NYU is still worth it. I already have a sweatshirt :P
Money talks...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Fri May 06, 2011 9:44 am

Muenchen wrote:
hotthaichick wrote:Guys I need help. I am in love with NYU but Chicago just gave me $30,000 (total, not per year) in scholarship money. I have no money at NYU currently and I need to decide on Chicago by Monday!
Also combined with lower cost of living, I think this difference will be fairly substantial.

Please help convince me that NYU is still worth it. I already have a sweatshirt :P
Money talks...
GET OUT!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 9:53 am

spacepenguin wrote:

Email NYU to appeal your award, I'm almost positive they'll at least match it--in which case this becomes a non issue and NYU is the clear choice for you.

I was able to negotiate with them with money from a lower ranked school, so I'd imagine it should work with Chicago as well.
Yeah, I'd try to negotiate, but the COL in Hyde Park is certainly lower than in the Village.

Muenchen

Silver

Post by Muenchen » Fri May 06, 2011 9:54 am

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Fri May 06, 2011 10:06 am

It's also Hyde Park. It truly is where fun goes to die. You know it's bad when people who live within the city boundaries proper still talk about "going into the city."

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 am

Muenchen wrote:Image
...okay, I deserve this one. :lol:

Seconding the Hyde Park sentiments, though. You have to take a train to go anywhere that's "exciting", outside of the Museum of Science and Industry

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri May 06, 2011 10:58 am

Thai chick are you interested in strictly firm life, academia potentially, etc.? If so go to Chicago unless NYU matches, but if you're public interested minded or even think that you might be...then I would go with NYU. Chicago's working on improving their PI program, but NYU's is firmly established.

gatorgirl4life

Bronze

Post by gatorgirl4life » Fri May 06, 2011 12:26 pm

spacepenguin wrote:

Email NYU to appeal your award, I'm almost positive they'll at least match it--in which case this becomes a non issue and NYU is the clear choice for you.

I was able to negotiate with them with money from a lower ranked school, so I'd imagine it should work with Chicago as well.
I doubt it...I received $45k from Chicago, a $60k Wilson from Penn, and $90k from UVa. I tried to negotiate, but NYU still wouldn't give me anything. Good luck, though! and FWIW, I still sent in my deposit to NYU.

mcweanis

Bronze

Post by mcweanis » Fri May 06, 2011 1:20 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

I doubt it...I received $45k from Chicago, a $60k Wilson from Penn, and $90k from UVa. I tried to negotiate, but NYU still wouldn't give me anything. Good luck, though! and FWIW, I still sent in my deposit to NYU.
if you love nyu, go! you will be happier there! 30k is not that much in the long run. (you can make that just working your two 2l summers!) if you're PI or NYC big law, NYU no doubt.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Fri May 06, 2011 2:22 pm

I would definitely visit, though. Not a good idea to make a decision of this type without knowing the environments.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri May 06, 2011 3:43 pm

incompetentia wrote:I would definitely visit, though. Not a good idea to make a decision of this type without knowing the environments.
I agree with this. Fit can seem so trivial compared to the other factors, but it really does matter especially when you're dealing with peer schools. I know of several people, myself included, who went completely opposite of their original plans after visiting. They're both great schools, so just do what's best for you.

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Fri May 06, 2011 4:04 pm

ahduth wrote:It's also Hyde Park. It truly is where fun goes to die. You know it's bad when people who live within the city boundaries proper still talk about "going into the city."
Lol! I went to Chicago undergrand, and this is so true! Then again, I felt it was true for grad school at Columbia (although transportation downtown from Columbia is easy, whereas from Hyde Park to downtown is definitely not!). Really, very few schools are actually "in the city" as in "directly in the middle of where you want to be." That's definitely a plus about NYU (that, of course, comes with a higher COL!).
I don't feel comfortable giving advice about where one should go.... just because I know have made most choices in life based on purely personal and social needs. I think most law schools are probably pretty similar if you're going the straight-and-narrow route into firm life. Other things may be more difficult from one school or another (because of culture and connections), but I don't think these differences are insurmountable.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Fri May 06, 2011 4:33 pm

so under the FAAPS section under "my status" it now says "Award Finalized," as of May 5, 2011. anyone know what this means?

also, i submitted my FAFSA months ago, but are we supposed to go to studentloans.gov and request a grad-plus loan (if that's the option chosen), or will they contact us and tell us what to do later on

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lisi

Bronze

Post by Lisi » Fri May 06, 2011 4:38 pm

cruelestgame wrote:so under the FAAPS section under "my status" it now says "Award Finalized," as of May 5, 2011. anyone know what this means?

also, i submitted my FAFSA months ago, but are we supposed to go to studentloans.gov and request a grad-plus loan (if that's the option chosen), or will they contact us and tell us what to do later on
When I dropped my deposit off, I stopped into the Financial Aid office, and they told me that I would get an email in June with instructions about things I would need to complete online by July sometime. That is the next stage for all of use who are getting loans.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Fri May 06, 2011 4:51 pm

thanks

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat May 07, 2011 9:30 pm

So I just saw Something Borrowed, and two of the main characters went to NYU Law. Such a win! <3 <3 <3

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat May 07, 2011 10:29 pm

After seeing 5 seasons of Ginnifer Goodwin on Big Love, my truthiness meter is flashing :lol:

EDIT: but seriously, how was it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun May 08, 2011 1:54 am

I loved it. But I also was a fan of the book and I'm a major proponent of chick flicks. :D

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sun May 08, 2011 2:26 am

i read that... i imagined rachel to be much prettier in my head. and darcy was supposed to be a brunette. i also imagined darcy to be MUCH prettier.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun May 08, 2011 2:41 am

glitched wrote:i read that... i imagined rachel to be much prettier in my head. and darcy was supposed to be a brunette. i also imagined darcy to be MUCH prettier.
Do you mean prettier than how they were described in the book or prettier than Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson? Cuz Rachel is supposed to be kind of plain, but Ginnifer actually looked super adorable in the movie. Especially with her new hair style. And in case I wasn't in love with John Krasinski before, I definitely am now! He was soooo sweet in this.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sun May 08, 2011 2:45 am

law_monkey wrote:
glitched wrote:i read that... i imagined rachel to be much prettier in my head. and darcy was supposed to be a brunette. i also imagined darcy to be MUCH prettier.
Do you mean prettier than how they were described in the book or prettier than Ginnifer Goodwin and Kate Hudson? Cuz Rachel is supposed to be kind of plain, but Ginnifer actually looked super adorable in the movie. Especially with her new hair style. And in case I wasn't in love with John Krasinski before, I definitely am now! He was soooo sweet in this.
i pretty much ignore most of the detailed descriptions in books. i get a base and then imagine the prettiest version possible. it makes the book much more enjoyable for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun May 08, 2011 4:12 am

Haha fair enough. They really did a great job with the movie though. Especially with casting.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sun May 08, 2011 9:57 am

Anyone watch Thor/Fast Five? Explosions everywhere!

hotthaichick

Bronze

Post by hotthaichick » Sun May 08, 2011 11:30 am

So unfortunately I will be jumping ship now to Chicago. You guys are wonderful though and I'm sure you will have an amazing class! Also thanks for everyone who helped to give me advice. And I'm still jealous that you all get in live in the Village...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sun May 08, 2011 11:33 am

hotthaichick wrote:So unfortunately I will be jumping ship now to Chicago. You guys are wonderful though and I'm sure you will have an amazing class! Also thanks for everyone who helped to give me advice. And I'm still jealous that you all get in live in the Village...

Chicago is an amazing school and with the added bonus of getting money from them, I think you made the right decision. With that said, enjoy Hyde Park!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”