NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
incompetentia

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

I THINK I GOT LOAN INFO

"Fall 2011 Enrollment and Tuition Payment Instructions for First Year Students" and what not. Apparently our tuition for the fall semester is due by August 10. There are instructions on how to go through all of the loan processes.

I need to sit down after dinner and fill all this shit out

djaja

New

Post by djaja » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 pm

:roll: It would be nice to get some contact from the administration other than, 'hi! i'm the new acting ______ ________ of ________. I have no idea what I'm doing so maybe this form letter jam-packed with information you received three months ago will get you caught up.'

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:57 pm

incompetentia wrote:I THINK I GOT LOAN INFO

"Fall 2011 Enrollment and Tuition Payment Instructions for First Year Students" and what not. Apparently our tuition for the fall semester is due by August 10. There are instructions on how to go through all of the loan processes.

I need to sit down after dinner and fill all this shit out
Hmm... well, that makes one of us...

sgtgrumbles

Silver

Post by sgtgrumbles » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:04 pm

I got the (maybe, sort of) loan info, too. It came by snail mail. In typically cryptic NYU fashion, it's vague and ambiguous, much like the law itself!

Case in point:
Fall 2011 Electronic Billing
All students who enroll for Fall semester courses will receive an e-mail in mid-July... notifying them to log onto the NYU eSuite to view a bill for tuition, fees, and housing.
Fall 2011 Payment Deadline
Student payment for the Fall semester tuition and fees, along with your remaining housing balance is August 10, 2011
Does this mean loans will be disbursed in time to make the August 10 payment deadline? Will the payment be made automatically? What exactly does "mid-July" mean? Who knows!

Edit: Perhaps I joked too soon. There's additional language that says "credits" for Federal Direct Loans will be applied to the Bursar E-bill after you fill out loan info at some sites for which the letter gives the URLs.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:16 pm

no email makes me nervous.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:20 pm

glitched wrote:no email makes me nervous.
It's snail mail apparently. Sounds like an email will be out sometime soon... ish? In typical NYU fashion.... :roll:

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:23 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote: Edit: Perhaps I joked too soon. There's additional language that says "credits" for Federal Direct Loans will be applied to the Bursar E-bill after you fill out loan info at some sites for which the letter gives the URLs.
This was ridiculously hidden. I didn't spy it until the third read-through of the letter.

Apparently we have to go through and fill out a bunch of forms and also go through "Entrance Counseling", which is mentioned a grand total of one time in the three-page letter.
Somebody's taking an extended lunch break tomorrow.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

birdlaw117 wrote:
glitched wrote:no email makes me nervous.
It's snail mail apparently. Sounds like an email will be out sometime soon... ish? In typical NYU fashion.... :roll:
The motto should really read "Perstare et praevaricare"

teaadntoast

Bronze

Post by teaadntoast » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:24 pm

sgtgrumbles wrote: Edit: Perhaps I joked too soon. There's additional language that says "credits" for Federal Direct Loans will be applied to the Bursar E-bill after you fill out loan info at some sites for which the letter gives the URLs.
THIS.

For everyone flipping out about money: Once you complete the loan application and get the ball rolling, NYU will credit your account for your tuition.

Sometime in August the gv't/lender will get around to sending NYU your actual loan money. The Bursar will deduct the credited amount (ie: tuition), then send you the balance via direct deposit or a check.

Is this ideal? No. Is it the best everyone can do given that actual class sizes are hard to nail down until July? Probably.

Breathe.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:50 pm

And, in the least emphasized section of the damn packet:
Payment (select one) (due by August 10):
[...] • If you are paying the balance due with loans, please write "loans pending" on the top portion of your statement and return it to the Office of Admissions.
We'll be okay...eventually. :lol:

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:51 pm

Anyone want to send me a picture of the snail mail stuff? I don't know if they sent it to my family's house, but no one is there if they did, and I'm kinda out of the country.

ugbadger

New

Post by ugbadger » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:26 pm

I got the Enrollment and Tuition Payment instructions and have been looking at the loan information on it. I went out to the direct loans site it talks about at nyu.edu/financial.aid but can't see where to accept direct loans. Am I missing something or is NYU still just not having the loan stuff available yet?

Ratchet Jackson

Gold

Post by Ratchet Jackson » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:40 pm

I think I'm just going to give FinAid a call tomorrow. Hopefully get some direct answers about all of this loan information. If I come across anything useful, I'll post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:15 pm

lol chaos itt

Dayan114

New

Post by Dayan114 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm

Has anyone had success following these instructions?
http://www.nyu.edu/admissions/financial ... tions.html

When I log in it tells me that my award decision is pending...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:38 pm

Dayan114 wrote:Has anyone had success following these instructions?
http://www.nyu.edu/admissions/financial ... tions.html

When I log in it tells me that my award decision is pending...

That's probably a good thing.

I apparently have a hold since "Your borrowing exceeds a loan aggregate limit as determined by your dependency status and your degree. You are not eligible for any federal aid"

Which I take as me being boned. That can't be right at all...

lzyovrachievr

Gold

Post by lzyovrachievr » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:42 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
I apparently have a hold since "Your borrowing exceeds a loan aggregate limit as determined by your dependency status and your degree. You are not eligible for any federal aid"

Ouch. That's a very official way to say you're boned.

Why would that be true?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:52 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

Why would that be true?

I have 15k in undergrad loans....I'm really starting to freak out about this.

environmentallaw

New

Post by environmentallaw » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:22 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

Why would that be true?

I have the same hold. There is a limit to the amount of subsidized loans that we're allowed to borrow, so maybe that's it? But no, that can't be right...

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:28 pm

environmentallaw wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
lzyovrachievr wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:

Why would that be true?

I have the same hold. There is a limit to the amount of subsidized loans that we're allowed to borrow, so maybe that's it? But no, that can't be right...
The total aggregate subsidized loan is 20k each year for a total up to 138k or something to that effect...

Maybe the system thinks we're going back for a second undergraduate degree?

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:23 pm

So the letter says "if you are taking a PLUS loan, you must complete the PLUS loan MPN..." should we be doing this now? Or is there a step before that...like actually applying for the loan? I guess I should just wait for this "mid-July" email...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:28 pm

neyaae wrote:So the letter says "if you are taking a PLUS loan, you must complete the PLUS loan MPN..." should we be doing this now? Or is there a step before that...like actually applying for the loan? I guess I should just wait for this "mid-July" email...
https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

Go here. Do Entrance Counseling. Request Federal Grad Plus Loans. Sign MPN for Plus Loans. You might have to sign an MPN for Stafford Loans too.

*Edit: I believe you don't have to sign up for Stafford Loans because those have already been offered by NYU in your awards offer. You probably signed up for it by signing up on FAFSA.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:43 pm

glitched wrote:
neyaae wrote:So the letter says "if you are taking a PLUS loan, you must complete the PLUS loan MPN..." should we be doing this now? Or is there a step before that...like actually applying for the loan? I guess I should just wait for this "mid-July" email...
https://studentloans.gov/myDirectLoan/index.action

Go here. Do Entrance Counseling. Request Federal Grad Plus Loans. Sign MPN for Plus Loans. You might have to sign an MPN for Stafford Loans too.

*Edit: I believe you don't have to sign up for Stafford Loans because those have already been offered by NYU in your awards offer. You probably signed up for it by signing up on FAFSA.
Grrrr my pin is at home. Good to know though. I still haven't gotten the letter.

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Tue Jul 19, 2011 1:50 pm

is this something I should have known?

neyaae

New

Post by neyaae » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:19 pm

does the loan for the new computer come out of what is already budgeted? Or do they actually increase the budget for the year?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”