NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
law_monkey

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by law_monkey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:56 am

ahduth wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote:Lot of people from LA huh. Any Chicagoans?
Midwesterner here - I visit Chicago fairly often. If you put something together, let me know
There don't seem to be a ton of Midwesterners. Doesn't matter. We will dominate NYU with our general placidity and level-headedness.
I'm actually Midwest. I'm only in LA for college which I now officially only have one week of class left.. :D

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:59 am

law_monkey wrote:
ahduth wrote:
incompetentia wrote:
ahduth wrote:Lot of people from LA huh. Any Chicagoans?
Midwesterner here - I visit Chicago fairly often. If you put something together, let me know
There don't seem to be a ton of Midwesterners. Doesn't matter. We will dominate NYU with our general placidity and level-headedness.
I'm actually Midwest. I'm only in LA for college which I now officially only have one week of class left.. :D
Midwest where?

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:57 am

Midwest - Columbus, here. I'd set up something fun to do in Columbus... except its boring as sh** here. Ha ha.

Yeah, the campus housing looks ridiculously expensive. There are places up in Harlem for 1000-1400 bucks for studio apartments and 1 bdrooms. Right next to the subway, with a direct line (it has stops, just no changing), which googlemaps says takes ~30 minutes to get basically directly to NYU. I don't mind a 1/2 hour commute.

Only thing - i take it i should get there early - and I need parents to sign something, given that they don't count my student loans as "income" guaranteeing that i can pay rent. yes?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:32 pm

melamine wrote:Midwest - Columbus, here. I'd set up something fun to do in Columbus... except its boring as sh** here. Ha ha.

Yeah, the campus housing looks ridiculously expensive. There are places up in Harlem for 1000-1400 bucks for studio apartments and 1 bdrooms. Right next to the subway, with a direct line (it has stops, just no changing), which googlemaps says takes ~30 minutes to get basically directly to NYU. I don't mind a 1/2 hour commute.

Only thing - i take it i should get there early - and I need parents to sign something, given that they don't count my student loans as "income" guaranteeing that i can pay rent. yes?
I stayed with my friend in Harlem when I was in NYC and the commute was pretty long. It was doable, but not the most convenient thing. Plus you'll be by the CLS people there. I'm looking at some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn that seem pretty cool. And everyone I've talked to has said to get housing a couple weeks in advance, not super early. It'll depend on the landlord whether they'll want you to have a guarantor or accept your loan documents.

And birdlaw, I'm from Nebraska.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:34 pm

law_monkey wrote:
melamine wrote:Midwest - Columbus, here. I'd set up something fun to do in Columbus... except its boring as sh** here. Ha ha.

I stayed with my friend in Harlem when I was in NYC and the commute was pretty long. It was doable, but not the most convenient thing. Plus you'll be by the CLS people there. I'm looking at some of the neighborhoods in Brooklyn that seem pretty cool. And everyone I've talked to has said to get housing a couple weeks in advance, not super early. It'll depend on the landlord whether they'll want you to have a guarantor or accept your loan documents.

What is that supposed to mean? :evil:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:38 pm

CLS people are squares, that's all. :lol:

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:02 pm

incompetentia wrote:CLS people are squares, that's all. :lol:
Nah, we wea sky blue because we're fly. :lol: :lol: (Damn that was terrible)

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:06 pm

Case in point 8)

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:14 pm

incompetentia wrote:Case in point 8)
I had to do it though. I just saw someone say that on youtube and it was so bad that it had to be repeated.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:14 pm

Maybe googlemaps is wrong, but the commute between Brooklyn and NYU, and Harlem and NYU is comparable (unless you're specifically living in downtown Brooklyn - even then its a 10 minute difference).

Thanks for the advice though, lawmonkey. I'll probably take a look at Brooklyn as well. Anyone know exactly how taking out loans is supposed to work out? Do we just wait for an e-mail from NYU - do they participate in the organization of that?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:26 pm

melamine wrote:

Maybe googlemaps is wrong, but the commute between Brooklyn and NYU, and Harlem and NYU is comparable (unless you're specifically living in downtown Brooklyn - even then its a 10 minute difference).

Thanks for the advice though, lawmonkey. I'll probably take a look at Brooklyn as well. Anyone know exactly how taking out loans is supposed to work out? Do we just wait for an e-mail from NYU - do they participate in the organization of that?
I think they are comparable. Make sure you take the express train though because the normal one DEFINITELY takes forever. Uptown you're further away from everything else though too, not just the law school. I'm partially biased though because I was just not a fan of that area. Your personal preferences might make it a good match.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:27 pm

and so it was...

Just withrew from my last remaining school and will definitely be in NYU next fall (unless, you know, something terrible happens between now and then). I'm late to this party, but I'll be as cool as the internet will permit me to be.

melamine

Bronze

Post by melamine » Sat Apr 23, 2011 1:43 pm

spacepenguin wrote:and so it was...

Just withrew from my last remaining school and will definitely be in NYU next fall (unless, you know, something terrible happens between now and then). I'm late to this party, but I'll be as cool as the internet will permit me to be.
welcome to NYU class of 2014! I feel like i should start buying rulers and protractors and shit. I'm getting a little restless here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ahduth

Gold

Post by ahduth » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:21 pm

law_monkey wrote:
melamine wrote:

I think they are comparable. Make sure you take the express train though because the normal one DEFINITELY takes forever. Uptown you're further away from everything else though too, not just the law school. I'm partially biased though because I was just not a fan of that area. Your personal preferences might make it a good match.
I planned on paying up / sizing down to live as conveniently near campus as possible for the first year. 1L is kinda... the whole shebang for corporate.

That being said, I'm pretty sure parts of Brooklyn are closer depending on the trains. It really depends on where in Brooklyn you are as to whether or not it's going to be cheaper though.

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:19 pm

Two questions:

1) To those of you who appealed your award: How did y'all go about appealing your aid award? I'm looking at sticker, but figure I might as well give a try at having them reconsider. Did you have any luck? Any tips?

2) When you guys are comparing rents, are you taking into account the cost of furniture and utilities? From what I've seen, the off-campus / on-campus in the area seem similar until you take those things into account. It seems the actual savings don't begin until you venture into Brooklyn or figure out some clever apartment-sharing, multiple-roommate scenario. Am I wrong on this?

rikkitikki

New

Post by rikkitikki » Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:25 pm

3) Does anyone know if it is possible to request which section you're put in? I already have preferences for which profs I want to take, is the reason because I ask...

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:38 pm

rikkitikki wrote:Two questions:

1) To those of you who appealed your award: How did y'all go about appealing your aid award? I'm looking at sticker, but figure I might as well give a try at having them reconsider. Did you have any luck? Any tips?
I appealed using competing offers, at least at first. Have you deposited yet?

Also, to your other question, I'm pretty sure your sections are assigned upon orientation. According to the students I met at ASW, it seems like there's usually one big-name faculty member per section.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

birdlaw117

Gold

Post by birdlaw117 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:48 pm

incompetentia wrote:
Also, to your other question, I'm pretty sure your sections are assigned upon orientation. According to the students I met at ASW, it seems like there's usually one big-name faculty member per section.
This is what I've heard as well. I like that they try and even out the big named profs

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:49 pm

Anybody else here interested in getting involved law revue?

*cricket*

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:22 pm

incompetentia wrote:Anybody else here interested in getting involved law revue?

*cricket*
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! I do that type of thing now in college, so I'm glad I get to continue those antics in law school. :D :D :D

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:32 pm

Are you more on the writing or the performance side of things? (If so, what instrument/vocal style/range?)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pixytree

Bronze

Post by pixytree » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:35 pm

law_monkey wrote:

I'm considering NYU's International House in Morningside Heights. I'd get to still be around NYU grad students, have a care-free living arrangement and a one bedroom or studio for much cheaper than Mercer or Dag. I'm weighing all of that against the commute. But it sounds like a cool place to live.

As far as off-campus housing, from what I hear, it's good to start looking about 4 weeks out but things go quickly so you have to be prepared to snap up the place you want right away, even if it means paying an extra month of rent.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:46 pm

so do we have to do anything more for federal loans after they send us the award? or just wait for them...

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:49 pm

cruelestgame wrote:so do we have to do anything more for federal loans after they send us the award? or just wait for them...
i emailed them about that sometime early last week. they still haven't got to me. i'll post when i get a reply.

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:23 pm

glitched wrote:
cruelestgame wrote:so do we have to do anything more for federal loans after they send us the award? or just wait for them...
i emailed them about that sometime early last week. they still haven't got to me. i'll post when i get a reply.
ohh very cool...thanks

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”