NYU Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
incompetentia

Gold

Re: NYU Class of 2014

Post by incompetentia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:30 pm

thecilent wrote:Lol incomp, I laugh every time I think about the housing tour and leaving you with that girl hahaha
Oh screw you :lol:

...do you remember her name - she'd be a 2L this year

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:42 pm

Lol I don't remember

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:03 pm

law_monkey wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
thecilent wrote:Thats why I'm now hoping I actually do get my studio in mercer.. would just be a lot easier

Honestly, the convenience of resident housing might be worth the extra money. No bills; no commute; 9 month lease; living in the village; and most importantly, not having to deal with a landlord.
But then I wouldn't get to bring my kitteh kitteh. And that is NOT an option. I will probably need my sweet little fur ball to prevent overwhelmed freak outs haha.

Also, apparently Yale checks out puppies from the library during finals so the students can de-stress.
I'm not living in the dorm for the same reason. I will not give up my baby (see tar to understand why). adorable like that doesnt come around too often.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 pm

nihilism is key wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
spacepenguin wrote:
thecilent wrote:Thats why I'm now hoping I actually do get my studio in mercer.. would just be a lot easier

Honestly, the convenience of resident housing might be worth the extra money. No bills; no commute; 9 month lease; living in the village; and most importantly, not having to deal with a landlord.
But then I wouldn't get to bring my kitteh kitteh. And that is NOT an option. I will probably need my sweet little fur ball to prevent overwhelmed freak outs haha.

Also, apparently Yale checks out puppies from the library during finals so the students can de-stress.
I'm not living in the dorm for the same reason. I will not give up my baby (see tar to understand why). adorable like that doesnt come around too often.
Your cat is adorable. <3

I also present to you all, my baby:

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:30 pm

Ew (JK kinda)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:35 pm

thecilent wrote:Ew (JK kinda)
:evil: :evil: :evil:

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:48 pm

:D :D :D

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:02 pm

thecilent wrote::D :D :D
Nope. Still :evil:

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:08 pm

law_monkey wrote:
LOLL

did you go with brooklyn or socrates?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:19 pm

glitched wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
LOLL

Neither because I got a different cat than I was supposed to and she didn't look like either. Her name is Desi (short for Desdemona from Othello).

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:48 pm

cat!!!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:35 am

I really like othello and almost anything Shakespeare

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:31 am

law_monkey wrote:
glitched wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
LOLL

Neither because I got a different cat than I was supposed to and she didn't look like either. Her name is Desi (short for Desdemona from Othello).

I still think Brooklyn 2.0 has a nice ring to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cruelestgame

Bronze

Post by cruelestgame » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 pm

anyone else get a second (same) med/immunization form?

thsmthcrmnl

Bronze

Post by thsmthcrmnl » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:22 pm

cruelestgame wrote:anyone else get a second (same) med/immunization form?
Yes

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:50 pm

Yeah - I don't trust my primary care physician so I'm keeping them just in case.

TheKingintheNorth

Bronze

Post by TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am

For anyone looking for studios or whatever in lower Manhatten, yo check it:

1. Login to home.nyu.edu

2. Click on the NYU Life tab

3. Click on the Housing Registry link on the middle left.

4. Click Find Rentals

I assume these are apartments that have been cycling among NYU upperclassmen and graduates for decades. Sounds like a great way to avoid craigslist scams plus there's over 100 listings for studio apartments south of 23rd alone. There's also no mention of broker's fees, but alas most of the listings are from brokers.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:48 am

TheKingintheNorth wrote:For anyone looking for studios or whatever in lower Manhatten, yo check it:

1. Login to home.nyu.edu

4. Click Find Rentals

I assume these are apartments that have been cycling among NYU upperclassmen and graduates for decades. Sounds like a great way to avoid craigslist scams plus there's over 100 listings for studio apartments south of 23rd alone. There's also no mention of broker's fees, but alas most of the listings are from brokers.
For those of you looking to work directly with a broker, CitiHabitats are pretty good. If I remember right, they and a few other brokers give a discount on the broker's fee to NYU students -- definitely ask the broker you're using.

glitched

Silver

Post by glitched » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:30 pm

hey does anyone know if nyu offers free printing/cheap printing? too lazy to google...

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:44 pm

glitched wrote:hey does anyone know if nyu offers free printing/cheap printing? too lazy to google...
Believe printing is free at the library and Mercer, possibly D'ag as well.

I want my housing assignment... anyone else in a position where they might not be able to afford some options they might be assigned, if not their listed choices?

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 pm

legalmindedfella wrote:
glitched wrote:hey does anyone know if nyu offers free printing/cheap printing? too lazy to google...
Believe printing is free at the library and Mercer, possibly D'ag as well.

I want my housing assignment... anyone else in a position where they might not be able to afford some options they might be assigned, if not their listed choices?
Unlimited printing used to be free. I hear they've changed it (you have to swipe your NYU card to print and it charges you 10 cents a page).

EDIT: Apparently still free in the Law School labs! Good to know.
Last edited by whathojeeves on Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

incompetentia

Gold

Post by incompetentia » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:47 pm

I'm thinking that the pricier options are usually not randomly assigned to students who pick the lower-priced options.

Considering that I'm going to be relying on LRAP, I'd probably be pretty pressed if some of those ended up being my assignment.

spacepenguin

Silver

Post by spacepenguin » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:54 pm

incompetentia wrote:I'm thinking that the pricier options are usually not randomly assigned to students who pick the lower-priced options.

Considering that I'm going to be relying on LRAP, I'd probably be pretty pressed if some of those ended up being my assignment.

Seeing as I'm relying on loans and probably no LRAP..it's all the same to me. 170k vs 200k is really the same in terms of how miserable I'll be when I graduate unemployed.

nihilism is key

Bronze

Post by nihilism is key » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:55 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
TheKingintheNorth wrote:For anyone looking for studios or whatever in lower Manhatten, yo check it:

1. Login to home.nyu.edu

4. Click Find Rentals

For those of you looking to work directly with a broker, CitiHabitats are pretty good. If I remember right, they and a few other brokers give a discount on the broker's fee to NYU students -- definitely ask the broker you're using.
CitiHabitats is good, but whether or not the fee is negotiable will have less to do with the fact that your and NYU student and more to do with the specific broker and the property itself (some properties have a set fee because they are "co-broke") and you can also specify that youd like to see no fee apartments (buildings in which the management will pay the brokers fee). If anyone is looking for a specific recommendation, PM me and I will give you the name of the CitiHabitats broker I met with. Also, I would recommend using more than 1 broker.

legalmindedfella

Bronze

Post by legalmindedfella » Tue Jun 07, 2011 2:32 pm

spacepenguin wrote:
incompetentia wrote:I'm thinking that the pricier options are usually not randomly assigned to students who pick the lower-priced options.

Seeing as I'm relying on loans and probably no LRAP..it's all the same to me. 170k vs 200k is really the same in terms of how miserable I'll be when I graduate unemployed.
I mean that I don't actually have the resources available with loans for some of these options when you factor in living expenses.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”