Boston College Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
knotoftoads
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby knotoftoads » Tue May 10, 2011 5:02 pm

Perch wrote:
mettasutta wrote:Got an apt within walking distance of campus. Sweeeeet! :mrgreen:


already signed a lease? I was planning on waiting until the housing event in June. Is that too late?


yea I thought it was still pretty early but thats awesome you already got a place. I'd also like to be within walking distance

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby HWS08 » Tue May 10, 2011 5:12 pm

mettasutta wrote:Got an apt within walking distance of campus. Sweeeeet! :mrgreen:


Nice. I got my apartment locked in too. I'm living in Cleveland Circle though, so I'm planning to take the BC shuttle to campus. My car-less roommates and I decided we need to be close to the T!

Does it seem crazy to move up to MA on August 27? Orientation starts the 29th. Ideally I'd like to be there earlier, but I doubt I can move into my apartment before the 29th and maybe not even until Sept. 1, so it seems pointless to move up earlier when I could still be working and pulling down a paycheck.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue May 10, 2011 6:05 pm

The apartment search is killing me... my fiance and I are still in undergrad and both live at home with parents because we're saving for our wedding, so we have no references or old landlords or anything. Not knowing where he will be working after graduation doesn't help matters because right now we don't make very much and most places have been asking for paystubs and such. It's so frustrating because we know the money for rent will be there, but loans don't count for income :x

How are you guys finding apartments?

maglialoro
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:25 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby maglialoro » Wed May 11, 2011 12:19 am

.
Last edited by maglialoro on Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 9:45 am

Bpobryan wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't heard a peep from BC since sending in my deposit, save for a 4 line generic email? What gives? Thought there might be some contact, calendar, information on what happens next, maybe just a more personal acknowledgment... Am I missing something?


I haven't heard much either...it's annoying. I've also had a pretty bad experience trying to negotiate scholly $ and it is really turning me off of the school. Considering dropping even though they have my deposit b/c I think their admissions team kind of sucks.

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 11, 2011 9:47 am

bostonlawchick wrote:How are you guys finding apartments?


I'm curious about this as well...assuming I stick around I wasn't planning to come up until June -- should I be starting already?

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed May 11, 2011 1:25 pm

fingersxd wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:How are you guys finding apartments?


I'm curious about this as well...assuming I stick around I wasn't planning to come up until June -- should I be starting already?


There's kinda slim pickings for august leases... I don't know if it's because I'm too early or too late though. Or maybe I'm just being too picky. I'm having a tough time finding someone who wants to rent to someone who won't have a job.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby skippy1 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:07 pm

I think August leases are very rare. I've been searching for a few months now and I finally accepted that I will be in a Sept 1 lease. As for landlords asking for paystubs - I believe they do only a credit check, then they either ask for a co-signer if you don't have a job or you can put down additional security deposit or last month rent - usually this seems to make them feel safer having you sign a lease.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Wed May 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby RPK34 » Thu May 12, 2011 10:38 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.


Just an FYI, if you're taking 93 up to Boston and you're traveling at peak commuter times (ie around 7-9 am going into the city and 4-6 coming out), you're looking at more of a 40-50 minute commute in all likelihood. 30 minutes to Foxboro would be if the roads were empty.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Fri May 13, 2011 7:51 am

RPK34 wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:Well ::crosses fingers:: I think our apartment search is over. We're probably going to be living right outside Foxboro, which I guess is about a 30 min drive to school. I don't mind the commute though, I drive 40 minutes to school right now. It's just SO MUCH cheaper to live outside the immediate Boston area.


Just an FYI, if you're taking 93 up to Boston and you're traveling at peak commuter times (ie around 7-9 am going into the city and 4-6 coming out), you're looking at more of a 40-50 minute commute in all likelihood. 30 minutes to Foxboro would be if the roads were empty.


No, I'd be taking 95 up to Commonwealth and heading into Newton that way. I'm planning to do all of my work on campus anyway, so I don't mind getting to campus early and staying a little later so I don't have to bring work home with me. I just really can't justify paying like 300 a month more for an apartment half the size, and this way my fiance might not have to leave his job.

RPK34
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby RPK34 » Sun May 15, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey, if anyone is looking for an apartment, shoot me a PM. I have a place in Newton that's barely a mile from the school for $600 a month. It's in a great neighborhood, close to the school, close to the T (if you wanted to go into Boston), and a great price for the Boston area. I need to know very soon, so if you're looking for a place, just let me know.

HWS08
Posts: 179
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby HWS08 » Sun May 15, 2011 6:02 pm

fingersxd wrote:
Bpobryan wrote:Am I the only one who hasn't heard a peep from BC since sending in my deposit, save for a 4 line generic email? What gives? Thought there might be some contact, calendar, information on what happens next, maybe just a more personal acknowledgment... Am I missing something?


I haven't heard much either...it's annoying. I've also had a pretty bad experience trying to negotiate scholly $ and it is really turning me off of the school. Considering dropping even though they have my deposit b/c I think their admissions team kind of sucks.


Yeah, I'd really like more info too. I'm not that annoyed by it, but it would be nice to know more details.

If you're looking for the academic calendar, it's online. I googled "BC Law Academic Calendar" or something like that and found it for the 2011-2012 school year. It looks like we get quite a few holidays off, which is nice. At my UG it seemed like we were lucky to even get Thanskgiving and Christmas off.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby Perch » Wed May 25, 2011 4:41 pm

I'm calling tomorrow anyway, but just to get some reassurance tonight- 2nd deposit must be POSTMARKED by June 1, correct?

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby fingersxd » Wed May 25, 2011 4:52 pm

Perch wrote:I'm calling tomorrow anyway, but just to get some reassurance tonight- 2nd deposit must be POSTMARKED by June 1, correct?


Yes.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby Perch » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 am

everyone get those deposits in? getting excited for the housing fair!

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:11 pm

I completely forgot about the deposit and had to run to the post office at 3pm yesterday :oops: oh well... Got it in! Looking forward to getting my bc email.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:09 am

Got confirmation of my second deposit, and a whole bunch of new stuff popped up on agora. Our emails are available now too :D it's starting to feel like I'm actually going to law school!

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby Perch » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:58 am

very exciting. do you all think we actually need those financial forms in by the 10th, or is it just a suggested date?

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 pm

Perch wrote:very exciting. do you all think we actually need those financial forms in by the 10th, or is it just a suggested date?


I could have sworn that in one of the other emails they said they would send us a request for the other stuff.

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby bostonlawchick » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:15 am

Accidentally posted this in the applicants thread instead of the 2014 thread:

Soooo I'm getting kind of excited. I was looking around on Agora and we can now see course listings if you click on 'my services' and then 'course information and schedule'. It's just a list of all the courses offered next semester, but it has 1L courses listed.

If it doesn't change, Contracts, torts, and property are all Tuesday Thursday Friday I think, except one section of torts is on TWF. Civpro and LRRW are Monday and Wednesday for everyone. It looks like we're all going to be there from about 9-3 on T Th F no matter what section we're in, and Monday and Wednesday you either get out early or go in late.

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby zonto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:21 pm

I am pretty sure the forms are due by the 10th. The Law Validation form, tax returns (for you and possibly/probably your parents), and another one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay your tuition.

User avatar
knotoftoads
Posts: 86
Joined: Wed Oct 27, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby knotoftoads » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm

zonto wrote:I am pretty sure the forms are due by the 10th. The Law Validation form, tax returns (for you and possibly/probably your parents), and another one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay your tuition.


I sent in whatever it said on agora I needed, my 1040, w2, and validation form but what is the one page letter authorizing them to use loan money to pay my tuition?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby zonto » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:38 pm

On the validation form I believe. They printed a link to another webpage where I had to print another document and mail it to another address.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Postby skippy1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Where is the request for these forms - did you guys get an email from the school or are you seeing it on Agora?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest