Boston College Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
IsleMet

Bronze

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Post by IsleMet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:14 pm

No one else is as excited as me to start?! :-)

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:39 pm

I went to an admitted students' reception last week and am definitely VERY excited about BC now! Just waiting to visit on the 18th and hear back about money before I get too excited.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:43 pm

ldboston wrote:I went to an admitted students' reception last week and am definitely VERY excited about BC now! Just waiting to visit on the 18th and hear back about money before I get too excited.
Haha, fair enough I suppose. See you there!

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 am

Hi Everyone,
I'm also attending BC this fall. Interested in finding roommates. Please PM if you're also looking. Thanks!

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:46 am

Has anyone gotten Agora log in info yet? I am just making sure I didn't miss an email or something.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:27 pm

ldboston wrote:Has anyone gotten Agora log in info yet? I am just making sure I didn't miss an email or something.
No, no one has

They will send it out in the next few weeks

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:17 pm

Got Agora ID today but there is no information posted on the website yet - financial aid or housing. I guess that's coming on March 15.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 am

Yep, 3/15 is the day! Scholly info AND the new USNWR rankings

If BC offers me a good deal, I'll be going here for sure...

maglialoro

Bronze

Post by maglialoro » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:07 pm

-
Last edited by maglialoro on Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:43 pm

In the email they sent you with the Agora information, the Eagle Number in the e-mail (also temporary password) is the User ID that the Financial Aid site asks for.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:29 pm

Do I HAVE to fill out the Need Access thing?

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 am

tttlllsss wrote:Do I HAVE to fill out the Need Access thing?
:shock: wasn't it terrible??? I was at it for like 45 minutes... By the end I wanted to throw my computer at a wall. As a commuter student who lives with parents they really want me to estimate how much my parents assisted me with room and board over my (7 year) undergraduate experience? It was so frustrating.

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:07 pm

From what I've learned Need Access is very important - that's what the school uses to evaluate need based aid. I don't know if BC gives out need based aid though - guess I'll find out on the 15th.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NOLA Proud

New

Post by NOLA Proud » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:44 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:Do I HAVE to fill out the Need Access thing?
:shock: wasn't it terrible??? I was at it for like 45 minutes... By the end I wanted to throw my computer at a wall. As a commuter student who lives with parents they really want me to estimate how much my parents assisted me with room and board over my (7 year) undergraduate experience? It was so frustrating.

After spending like an hour going through all those stupid questions, the stupid paypal setting wouldn't even let me pay. My computer was almost thrown at the wall as well.

Perseus

New

Post by Perseus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:53 pm

I just checked Agora for my Financial Aid 'award'. Has anyone else received this info? Do you know if this is the complete award, or (as I desperately hope) is there more to come?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Tue Mar 15, 2011 9:57 pm

Perseus wrote:I just checked Agora for my Financial Aid 'award'. Has anyone else received this info? Do you know if this is the complete award, or (as I desperately hope) is there more to come?
You're looking at the fin-aid component. That's something which is handled not by admissions, but by a separate division.

From what I've heard, the merit aid component, if you're awarded one, will show up in a separate section on Agora. These awards have been few so far, and I'm not even sure that they uploaded any today.

Perseus

New

Post by Perseus » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:02 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
Perseus wrote:I just checked Agora for my Financial Aid 'award'. Has anyone else received this info? Do you know if this is the complete award, or (as I desperately hope) is there more to come?
You're looking at the fin-aid component. That's something which is handled not by admissions, but by a separate division.

From what I've heard, the merit aid component, if you're awarded one, will show up in a separate section on Agora. These awards have been few so far, and I'm not even sure that they uploaded any today.
Cheers

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:15 pm

Anyone getting into Boston tomorrow night and want to go out St. Patricks Day?! I feel pretty lame spending St. Pattys day by myself haha, but I don't know too many people in the area (going for the admitted students day on Friday). PM me if you want to meet up! I'd love to meet some future fellow 1Ls :-)

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:55 pm

Just got a $25k/yr scholly and I'm pretty much set on BC

Does anyone know of any decent apts where you WOULDNT need a car?

also, if anyone's looking for a roommate, hit me up. clean/quiet dude here

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:06 pm

I am not planning to have a car, and I think it is doable (although more inconvenient than a car) to live in Allston/Brighton either by Cleveland Circle or on the B Line. I plan to take the BC law shuttle from there.

After ASD, I have decided on BC for this fall. Excited to start at BC and meet some of you!

ILikeToBike

New

Post by ILikeToBike » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:17 pm

I am almost certainly going here! The admitted students day won me over!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:25 pm

ldboston wrote:I am not planning to have a car, and I think it is doable (although more inconvenient than a car) to live in Allston/Brighton either by Cleveland Circle or on the B Line. I plan to take the BC law shuttle from there.

After ASD, I have decided on BC for this fall. Excited to start at BC and meet some of you!
How are you finding an apt in that area? Also, what is the BC law shuttle?

I'm all the way over in the Midwest, so I'm trying to work out how I'm going to find a place...

fetalposition

New

Post by fetalposition » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:27 pm

tttlllsss wrote:
ldboston wrote:I am not planning to have a car, and I think it is doable (although more inconvenient than a car) to live in Allston/Brighton either by Cleveland Circle or on the B Line. I plan to take the BC law shuttle from there.

I'm all the way over in the Midwest, so I'm trying to work out how I'm going to find a place...
From a current BC 2L: "There will be an event sponsored by residential life sometime in June where entering students partner up and look for housing."

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:56 pm

fetalposition wrote:
tttlllsss wrote:

From a current BC 2L: "There will be an event sponsored by residential life sometime in June where entering students partner up and look for housing."
The problem with that is most of the good housing (cheaper, high quality, convenient location) is gone by early June. That's the problem with a city that is composed of a million different colleges (everyone secures housing for Sept 1st before they go home for the summer). That was my experience from going to school in Boston for undergrad anyway.

I've met a couple of people through Facebook and this website that seem cool and I might end up living with. I recommend trying to make a weekend trip to Boston in order to look at a bunch of places to get an idea of what you'd like. Look on Craigslist for ideas--type in searches for "Cleveland Circle" or "Brighton." If enough people are looking for housing, maybe we could all meet up in Boston sometime? Or maybe BC Law could help us organize a housing get together in April? Just ideas!

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:12 pm

BC law grad here - class of 2008.

You can certainly survive at BC w/o a car. You'll inevitably have friends with cars that you can car pool with to class (they used to have special parking for car pooling that encouraged it, not sure if they still do though). The shuttle is bearable, but it can get very frustrating depending on the time of day/time of year. The shuttle bus is primarily for the undergrad students and you'll find that the service is generally catered to them. For example, when I was at BC the undergrads and law students had different vacation schedules. When the undergrads are on vacation, then the bus service is so reduced in frequency that you really have to schedule your day around the bus service. Things may have changed, but there were many complaints from law students regarding the bus when I was there.

Unfortunately, I didn't have a choice because I didn't have a car and couldn't afford to buy/lease a car either.

In terms of location, I would highly recommend living on the Alston/Brighton/Brookline border - preferably near washington square (maybe a little more towards the B line than exactly in washington square). Great area that gets away from all of the undergrads near cleveland circle. close proximity to both the B line (goes to BC undergrad campus where you can catch one of the shuttle buses) and the C line (goes to cleveland circle where you can get a shuttle to the main campus - where you can then switch shuttles and get a bus to the law school).

Fully agree that most apartments in Boston (including Alson/Brighton/Brookline) have leases that begin 9/1 and the better apartments typically rent in the spring. Certainly there will be available apartments to find right up to 9/1, but you'll be limiting your search if you wait until june/july/august.

Shoot me a message if you would like further thoughts on where to live.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”