Boston College Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
skippy1

New

Re: Boston College Class of 2014

Post by skippy1 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:49 pm

BC housing lets you post to the eagleionline website for roommates. If you are an admitted student, contact housing and they'll give you temporary access.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:35 pm

Would living in West Roxbury be okay? I found a cheapish apartment there. I will have a car and the thought of sky high insurance and limited parking in Boston proper has me a little scared. Not to mention having to change the registration on my car in order to get a permit for street parking. My fiancé and I would really prefer an apartment complex if anyone knows anything off the top of their head.

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:30 am

Where you live is going to be a personal choice. I wasn't even sure where West Roxbury was until I googled it. Very few students live that far away, but that doesn't mean that it isn't a good choice. You should see how long the drive is to the law school (I can't imagine that anything longer than 30 minutes would be desirable).

One thing I will mention is that BC students are very collegial and there are frequently night activities planned (probably a few times a month). These include the standard bar reviews, boat cruise, law prom, etc. Also, students generally go out on weekend nights. If you know that you won't attend these events or don't mind the hassle of securing transportation home to West Roxbury (I don't think there is public transportation out there), then you should be fine. As an alternative, I would suggest also looking in Newton around the law school.

Law school, especially the first year, is a bit like going back to middle school. All of your 1L classes will be with the same 80 or so students. You'll get to know most of your classmates quite well by the end of your 1L year. For me, living that far away from the rest of my classmates would be a little too isolationist (although I am not from Boston and had no ties/friends when I arrived for law school).

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Wed Mar 23, 2011 1:23 pm

alumniguy wrote:Law school, especially the first year, is like going back to middle school.
Awww man, I am going to DESTROY you guys at kickball. You were forewarned.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:10 pm

Well, I wasn't planning on attending BC until today, but I think it's a pretty good possibility. I know the Boston area pretty well (live in Mass) and am trying to find an apartment for ~500-600/month, which requires roommates obviously. If anyone is looking at keeping their COL loans low as well, hit me up via PM. I might head up to Boston in a couple weeks and check out the apartment situation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:13 pm

RPK34 wrote:If anyone is looking at keeping their COL loans low as well, hit me up via PM. I might head up to Boston in a couple weeks and check out the apartment situation.
I just might do that. Also, we should probably create a Facebook group for c/o 2014, as well...most people I know who have found roommates have done it through that.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:13 am

There is a facebook group for BC 2014 already...you might be able to search for it? Admissions sent an email out with the link to it awhile ago.

Good luck with roommate finding!

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:25 pm

This should link you to the group...

http://www.facebook.com/#!/home.php?sk= ... 8481&ap=1u

I've been in contact with 5-6 people from Facebook who are looking for roommates. Maybe I should put everyone in contact with each other? I'd like to arrange a meet up in Boston one weekend for 1Ls looking for a place. PM if you'd like to be included!

knotoftoads

New

Post by knotoftoads » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:18 am

deposit deadline is april 15th, right?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:36 am

Yep, April 15.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:50 am

Just visited this past Friday and am pretty sure I'll end up there. I loved the school and am very excited! I'm also interested in finding roommates/housing.

A little info about me:

-24 y/o female, would prefer to live with other women
-Looking for something either close to the campus in Newton or in the Cleveland Circle area so I can take the shuttle back and forth (no car, sadly)
-I have a bf...he probably won't be around more than once or twice a week, but I need to live with someone who will be okay with that
-Would like to keep it under $900 incl. utilities (ideally less, but I'm being realistic about COL)
-I like to keep other expenses low- not interested in having a $100/month cable package and things like that (really, when are we going to have time to watch TV anyways?)

I don't live in Boston now but I am there about once a month or so (to visit the aforementioned bf, who lives in the Boston suburbs) if you want to try to meet up. If you're interested, send me a message so we can chat more!

clair de lune

New

Post by clair de lune » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:33 pm

Hi all! I just want to say, I’m really friggin’ excited to get to Boston and start! I’ve heard nothing but awesome things about BC’s atmosphere. I’ll be in the city next weekend, as I was not able to make it to ASD. If anyone has ANY suggestions for anything I should check out while I’m there, please let me know!

I just PMed IsleMet - I think it’d be a really cool idea for some of us 1Ls to meet up in the coming months!

As for roommates, here’s some info about myself:

- 23 yr old female (I’d like to live with other females)
- I will have a car, so I’m interested in living in Washington Square/Coolidge Corner. From what I’ve heard, these areas are more geared toward grad students. I’ll let you know what I think after my visit next weekend.
- I’m generally a morning person and therefore, do not enjoy late night music and noise. Of course, weekends and down time from studying are different…but generally, I like a quiet place.

- I have a bf, but he will be staying in Florida so he shouldn’t be around more than once a month

- I, too, don’t think things such as hefty cable packages are important - I’m good with internet and basic cable!

Let me know if any of you are possibly interested in housing. I look forward to chatting with you guys and getting to know each other better.

ylnechev

New

Post by ylnechev » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:53 pm

I just got into BC yesterday. I am very excited since BC was somewhat of a reach for me, but I am a bit worried because I do not expect to receive any money, and it will be so expensive. Anyone else not get scholarship money and worried about the debt?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:07 pm

I'll be at BC in the Fall but being so far away is keeping me from being able to visit the living options of the area. From what I have seen and heard, the housing fair in June is the best opportunity to find housing and roommates. I like to have things planned and mapped out so this date seems a little late, but housing did make a good point that most apartments won't know what they have open for August and September until June and July.

How many room mates are most of you shooting for? I have been living with one other person for the last few years but figured it may be less expensive to look for three or maybe even four bedrooms.

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:54 pm

ylnechev wrote:I just got into BC yesterday. I am very excited since BC was somewhat of a reach for me, but I am a bit worried because I do not expect to receive any money, and it will be so expensive. Anyone else not get scholarship money and worried about the debt?
Yes! Definitely, but I think that even with paying back student loans I will make more money in the long run than I will if I don't go to law school, so I am trying not to worry about it. Congratulations!

ylnechev

New

Post by ylnechev » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:45 pm

Where is everyone choosing to live next year? I know a lot of students live in cleveland circle and coolidge corner. However, I am also potentially interested in being more centrally located in boston like back bay. I do not mind the 40-50 minute commute. This way, I would be living in boston proper and would be close enough to commute to school and to social outings/events. Do you guys think this is manageable in 1L?

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:21 pm

ylnechev wrote:Where is everyone choosing to live next year? I know a lot of students live in cleveland circle and coolidge corner. However, I am also potentially interested in being more centrally located in boston like back bay. I do not mind the 40-50 minute commute. This way, I would be living in boston proper and would be close enough to commute to school and to social outings/events. Do you guys think this is manageable in 1L?
As an alum of BC Law, I think Back Bay is practical only with a car. I'd recommend living in Coolidge Corner/Washington Square on the C line - which is a pretty fast line and will get you to Boston relatively quickly (about 20 minutes to Copley Square). It will also get you to the law school in 40-50 minutes. I don't think you can make it to the law school by the T and shuttle bus in 40-50 minutes from Back Bay.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ylnechev

New

Post by ylnechev » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:46 pm

Ok thanks for the advice. What about Brookline? Does living in Brookline provide a manageable commute? How long of a commute do you think is OK for a 1L? My problem is that my SO goes to UMass Boston, so we are trying to find a place that is at least somewhat convenient for both of us. Any suggestions?

alumniguy

Bronze

Post by alumniguy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:20 pm

Well, if you are trying to accommodate the two commutes, Back Bay is probably a good compromise (assuming no car). I don't know much about South Boston and the mass transit there so I can't really comment on good places for both. I assume your SO will need the red line and that will require being close to downtown unless there is going to be a transfer involved. One comment I would make is that the red line is generally more efficient than the green line so it may make sense that your SO would transfer and you wouldn't, especially as you will be taking the shuttle bus.

If you and your SO live in Boston, you should do some trial runs.

Length of commute is personal. Anything much more than an hour would be difficult in my opinion. However, you may need to compromise given your situation. You'll probably be able to do some studying while commuting, but for me that was difficult.

Your classes will run between 9am and 4pm (depends on the day). If you treat law school like a job (which in my opinion is a great way to think about it), you'll be fine. Get up around 7ish, get ready for class, commute to the law school by 8:45/9:00, attend classes, study in your time between class, study for several hours after your last class and commute home. Sure you'll probably have to spend a little more time studying most nights of the week, but treating like a job is the best way to think about it. It should not be treated like undergrad (where you can do nothing for a majority of the semester and catch up at the end and still be fine). I found that of the people I knew, the ones that were always falling behind on their reading and generally not putting the time in early didn't do as well as those that did. The reason is that EVERYONE works hard at the end. So if you have catching up to do, you are actually significantly behind those that are fully caught up and have been diligently working on getting an outline started. It is a marathon, not a sprint at the end.

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:31 pm

ylnechev wrote:Ok thanks for the advice. What about Brookline? Does living in Brookline provide a manageable commute? How long of a commute do you think is OK for a 1L? My problem is that my SO goes to UMass Boston, so we are trying to find a place that is at least somewhat convenient for both of us. Any suggestions?
Brookline would be very doable.

uk4220

New

Post by uk4220 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:07 pm

Hey Guys. Headed to BC in the fall. A current student forwarded me the academic schedule for next year. Thought you all might be interested.

Boston College Law School
Academic Calendar 2011-2012

FALL SEMESTER, 2011

On Campus Recruiting Begins ......................................................Week of August 24th
Upper level Classes Begin..............................................................August 29 (Mon)
Orientation for First Year Students ..............................................August 29-30 (Mon-Tue)
No Classes (Labor Day)..................................................................September 5 (Mon)
No Classes (Rosh Hashana) ...........................................................September 29 (Thurs)
No Classes (Columbus Day)..........................................................October 10 (Mon)
Administrative Monday*………………………………………. ..October 11 (Tue)
Administrative Thursday**………………………………………October 19 (Wed)
Thanksgiving Recess ......................................................................November 24-25 (Thurs-Fri)
Classes End ......................................................................................December 7 (Wed)
Reading Day ....................................................................................December 8 (Thurs)
Exams ................................................................................................December 9 – 21 (Fri-Wed)
Conflicts and Make-up day for exams………………………….December 22 (Thurs)
(*Tuesday classes are cancelled and Monday classes substituted)
(**Wednesday classes are cancelled and Thursday classes substituted)

SPRING SEMESTER, 2012

All Classes Begin .............................................................................January 9 (Mon)
No Classes (Martin Luther King Day) .........................................January 16 (Mon)
No Classes (Presidents’ Day) ........................................................February 20 (Mon)
Administrative Monday* ...............................................................February 21(Tue)
Spring Recess ...................................................................................March 5 – 9 (Mon-Fri)
Easter Recess ....................................................................................April 5-6 (Thurs-Fri)
No Classes (Patriots Day) ..............................................................April 16 (Mon)
All Classes End ..............................................................................April 27 (Fri)
Reading Days ...................................................................................April 28 – April 30 (Sat-Mon)
Second and Third-Year Exams ......................................................May 1 – 14 (Tue-Mon)
First-Year Exams .............................................................................May 1 – 17 (Tue-Thurs)
Law Reviews/UCC Writing Competition (Pick-up)** ..............May 17 (Thurs)
University Commencement ...........................................................May 21 (Mon)
Law School Commencement .........................................................May 25 (Fri)
Law Reviews & UCC Writing Competition (Return) ................May 31 (Thurs)

(**Writing Competition Participation is optional.)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

skippy1

New

Post by skippy1 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:21 am

Does anyone know what exactly happens during the "Housing Fair" on June 17th? Can any current students comments on how useful it was - is it more effective than just looking on our own on CL?

K1988

New

Post by K1988 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:14 am

uk4220 wrote:Hey Guys. Headed to BC in the fall. A current student forwarded me the academic schedule for next year. Thought you all might be interested.

FALL SEMESTER, 2011

On Campus Recruiting Begins ......................................................Week of August 24th
Upper level Classes Begin..............................................................August 29 (Mon)
Orientation for First Year Students ..............................................August 29-30 (Mon-Tue)
No Classes (Labor Day)..................................................................September 5 (Mon)
No Classes (Rosh Hashana) ...........................................................September 29 (Thurs)
No Classes (Columbus Day)..........................................................October 10 (Mon)
Thanksgiving Recess ......................................................................November 24-25 (Thurs-Fri)
Classes End ......................................................................................December 7 (Wed)
Reading Day ....................................................................................December 8 (Thurs)
Exams ................................................................................................December 9 – 21 (Fri-Wed)

SPRING SEMESTER, 2012

All Classes Begin .............................................................................January 9 (Mon)
No Classes (Martin Luther King Day) .........................................January 16 (Mon)
No Classes (Presidents’ Day) ........................................................February 20 (Mon)
Administrative Monday* ...............................................................February 21(Tue)
Spring Recess ...................................................................................March 5 – 9 (Mon-Fri)
Easter Recess ....................................................................................April 5-6 (Thurs-Fri)
No Classes (Patriots Day) ..............................................................April 16 (Mon)
All Classes End ..............................................................................April 27 (Fri)
Reading Days ...................................................................................April 28 – April 30 (Sat-Mon)
Second and Third-Year Exams ......................................................May 1 – 14 (Tue-Mon)
First-Year Exams .............................................................................May 1 – 17 (Tue-Thurs)
University Commencement ...........................................................May 21 (Mon)
Law School Commencement .........................................................May 25 (Fri)

Thanks for posting the schedule! That is a surprisingly short Winter Break!

tram988

Silver

Post by tram988 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:56 am

K1988 wrote:
uk4220 wrote:Hey Guys. Headed to BC in the fall. A current student forwarded me the academic schedule for next year. Thought you all might be interested.

FALL SEMESTER, 2011

SPRING SEMESTER, 2012

Thanks for posting the schedule! That is a surprisingly short Winter Break!
Haha, as a current BC student, tell me about it!

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:21 pm

Anyone know if we get a confirmation when they receive our deposit?

Edit: got an email!
Last edited by Perch on Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”