GULC Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
santoinettea
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby santoinettea » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:33 pm

I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Also, I think I'll be living in Gewirz next year. I'm so looking forward to this!

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby 02122015 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:36 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:Are any of you guys do any BJJ/Judo/Submissions Wrestling? I'm excited to move to a part of the country that has such a huge bjj community and a lot of good schools Team Lloyd Irvin, Ryan Hall, etcetera but i'm worried about having time to train (school comes first) and having transportation. Do you know if GULC's fitness center offers any classes/if there are any clubs?

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/fitness/

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:29 pm

santoinettea wrote:I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Also, I think I'll be living in Gewirz next year. I'm so looking forward to this!


Dean Cornblatt was wearing a jacket from one suit and pants from another. It inspired confidence. :D

User avatar
santoinettea
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby santoinettea » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:26 pm

Marionberry wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I wish I could have attended the ASW. Any highlights? : )

Also, I think I'll be living in Gewirz next year. I'm so looking forward to this!


Dean Cornblatt was wearing a jacket from one suit and pants from another. It inspired confidence. :D


Haha! Well, that's it, I am sold. Can't beat Administration like that. : )

User avatar
savvyradish
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby savvyradish » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:12 pm

After a few months of soul searching, I'll be sending in my deposit next week!

Anybody thinking about Section 3?

okfine
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:13 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby okfine » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:59 pm

I'm leaning toward section 3. From what I've found, it has more reading, but that reading is also more interesting. The guy who had done section 3 on our student panel at ASW spoke very highly of it, and said there was a lot of policy, politics and theory.

User avatar
Siamsa414
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Siamsa414 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:18 pm

After much see-sawing, I think I've settled on GULC as my final choice. Hooray! I am so pumped to come live and study in DC.

Amhernan
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:00 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Amhernan » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:02 pm

Hey all- Just sent in my deposit today and will be visiting GULC later on this week! :D Very excited to start in the fall and wondering whether most 1Ls plan on living on or off campus?

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby RTFM » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:23 pm

Hi friends! Just sent my deposit in after much debate with myself.

harryminorhood
Posts: 11
Joined: Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby harryminorhood » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:16 pm

I just sent my deposit in as well!

Anyone hear any anecdotal evidence about how hard it will be to get on campus housing? The lottery is supposed to be May 6th.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:52 pm

harryminorhood wrote:I just sent my deposit in as well!

Anyone hear any anecdotal evidence about how hard it will be to get on campus housing? The lottery is supposed to be May 6th.


Gewirz is supposedly available to all those who want it, though I don't know if everyone gets their preferred floorplan.

henry flower
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 1:22 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby henry flower » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:52 am

Is everyone else still showing "direct loan entrance counseling" as an outstanding requirement? I completed mine 2 1/2 weeks ago...

Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.

User avatar
Siamsa414
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Siamsa414 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:49 pm

henry flower wrote:Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.


Yay for kittens! I'm moving with my partner, a puppy and two cats--a regular menagerie.

Is anyone planning to live a little farther out and commute? I'm considering the Takoma area, but I don't know DC very well and likely won't have a chance to visit for apartment-hunting. Thoughts?

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Tue Apr 26, 2011 5:55 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
henry flower wrote:Also, anyone looking for a roommate? If so, please PM me! I'm neat and really easygoing. I'm a little older than the average GULC student (graduated in 2004), and I won't be living on campus because I have two (very well-behaved) kittens.


Yay for kittens! I'm moving with my partner, a puppy and two cats--a regular menagerie.

Is anyone planning to live a little farther out and commute? I'm considering the Takoma area, but I don't know DC very well and likely won't have a chance to visit for apartment-hunting. Thoughts?


Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.

User avatar
Siamsa414
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Siamsa414 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:14 pm

Marionberry wrote:Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.


Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, VA is out for me because of their lack of protection for same-sex relationships--a serious bummer since I have a lot of family in Arlington. Thanks for pointing me toward the C/O 2014 group, I'll be sure to join!

feyonce
Posts: 22
Joined: Wed Jun 02, 2010 4:56 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby feyonce » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:56 pm

Finally made my decision and sent in my deposit -- it's official! Georgetown here I come!

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby volsi » Fri Apr 29, 2011 11:40 pm

Siamsa414 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.


Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, VA is out for me because of their lack of protection for same-sex relationships--a serious bummer since I have a lot of family in Arlington. Thanks for pointing me toward the C/O 2014 group, I'll be sure to join!


You better join Outlaw - we are huge and awesome. We're planning a bunch of stuff during orientation week, too. [Said as someone not actually on the board].

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby 02122015 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 2:55 am

volsi wrote:[Said as someone not actually on the board].


Oh?
Image
I've got my eye out for you, Volsi.

srvyorgeneral
Posts: 91
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:39 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby srvyorgeneral » Sat Apr 30, 2011 5:53 am

Siamsa414 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Takoma has the benefit of being on the red line, which is a direct shot to Union Station, but NoVA is a little closer and your actualy commute time might be the same. A currect DC resident could probably better speak to this than I could. There is a Class of 2014 housing group going on facebook, if you're interested in joining that.


Thanks for your input! Unfortunately, VA is out for me because of their lack of protection for same-sex relationships--a serious bummer since I have a lot of family in Arlington. Thanks for pointing me toward the C/O 2014 group, I'll be sure to join!


Logan circle is the resident DC gayborhood. Nice place to be, but it's pricey and probably unaffordable on a student budget unless you have support from a partner or parent. I like the green-line corridor (Columbia Heights & Mt. Pleasant, Petworth, Shaw/Howard). The neighborhoods have a lot more character and flavor, and the commute isn't terrible--about 25 minutes. Yes, there's a transfer from green to red, but if you've worked before it's not like commuting will be a surprise to you. You can also go the other way towards Capitol Hill, Eastern Market and H Street NE corridor, which is DC's equivalent to williamsburg in terms of hipsterdom. The latter is the least convenient from a public transportation perspective; it's also not the safest place either. But then again, there are few places in DC that are truly walled-off havens of suburban tranquility.

Takoma, to me, is just too far away--both from the school, but also from what you can enjoy of life in DC (when there's time, of course).

My opinion is that if you're moving here with a partner/spouse, you want to live in a place that will also make them happy. If you want a more suburban lifestyle, go to NoVA or Silver Spring/Takoma. If you like being close to the city, which is what I think is more fun and enjoyable, come closer in along the green or red lines. But whatever you do, don't live in Rockville.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby volsi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:02 am

MSPeast wrote:
volsi wrote:[Said as someone not actually on the board].


Oh?
Image
I've got my eye out for you, Volsi.


What, am I misreporting? :P I just cant be on the board of two student orgs. I mean, feel free to issue corrections or whatever.

New students, don't mind us. We act like this in person, too.


Also, livingwise, I always want to pimp Southwest. Really residential, quiet, actually diverse, inexpensive, and 15-20 minutes to school.

02122015
Posts: 5317
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:57 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby 02122015 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:26 am

volsi wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
volsi wrote:[Said as someone not actually on the board].


Oh?
Image
I've got my eye out for you, Volsi.


What, am I misreporting? :P I just cant be on the board of two student orgs. I mean, feel free to issue corrections or whatever.
Haha, no that's fine, I'm just giving you trouble.

Also, livingwise, I always want to pimp Southwest. Really residential, quiet, actually diverse, inexpensive, and 15-20 minutes to school.

Hey, how long before school started did you look for apartments? I still haven't found a 2L place yet but I haven't really had time to look yet.

User avatar
volsi
Posts: 274
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby volsi » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:00 am

I used a really nice realtor (they are just a $40 fee in DC, no month's rent or anything). I looked in early-mid July and moved in August 1.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby RTFM » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:03 pm

Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

Also, is it due May 6th or May 1st? The deadline and deposit says May 6th if you don't have any special requests, but the application itself says May 1st.

naurae29
Posts: 7
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:22 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby naurae29 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:37 pm

RTFM wrote:Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

Also, is it due May 6th or May 1st? The deadline and deposit says May 6th if you don't have any special requests, but the application itself says May 1st.


i've had the admitted students website direct me back to the login page, and that usually means you've been inactive for too long. if you didn't get a payment page, things didn't go through. those deadlines seem pretty self-explanatory, no? if you don't have any special requests, you have until friday to submit your application.

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby RTFM » Mon May 02, 2011 1:47 am

naurae29 wrote:
RTFM wrote:Has anyone submitted the Gewirz application yet? My internet kind of sucks, so I'm not sure if it went through or not. When I clicked submit it took me back to the admitted students username/password page--I entered that I wanted to pay by credit card so I'm assuming it should have taken me to a payment page?

Also, is it due May 6th or May 1st? The deadline and deposit says May 6th if you don't have any special requests, but the application itself says May 1st.


i've had the admitted students website direct me back to the login page, and that usually means you've been inactive for too long. if you didn't get a payment page, things didn't go through. those deadlines seem pretty self-explanatory, no? if you don't have any special requests, you have until friday to submit your application.


Thanks for the reply.

The confusion with the dates was that the actual housing application says, "Your payment must be received by May 1, 2010 to enter the housing lottery," and then says, "Your housing application and $125 non-refundable application fee are due to the Office of Residence Life by May 1, 2011," without saying anything about May 6th. Since the first date has the wrong year, I'm assuming that they just messed up. Since May 6th is listed under "Important Admissions Deadlines," I'm hoping that date is correct.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest