GULC Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Sandrew
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Sandrew » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:06 am

Hi there! Just wanted to stop by and say hello to some of my new classmates.

My wife and I visited DC the past two weekends for apartment-hunting and we're very excited about the move! We found a great apartment between Dupont and Logan Circles and are busily organizing our move from Brooklyn next month. We used a broker for our first trip to get a sense of the neighborhoods, but found better deals on Craigslist.

Based on the draft orientation schedule released a few weeks ago, it looks like they added a section, bringing the number of full-time sections to five. If the total entering class size remains roughly the same as 2010, that would put FT section sizes at about 94. I put a request in for Section 3 (Curriculum B), which I'm guessing will be a slightly larger section.

Look forward to meeting my classmates at orientation!

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 am

Sandrew wrote:Hi there! Just wanted to stop by and say hello to some of my new classmates.

My wife and I visited DC the past two weekends for apartment-hunting and we're very excited about the move! We found a great apartment between Dupont and Logan Circles and are busily organizing our move from Brooklyn next month. We used a broker for our first trip to get a sense of the neighborhoods, but found better deals on Craigslist.

Based on the draft orientation schedule released a few weeks ago, it looks like they added a section, bringing the number of full-time sections to five. If the total entering class size remains roughly the same as 2010, that would put FT section sizes at about 94. I put a request in for Section 3 (Curriculum B), which I'm guessing will be a slightly larger section.

Look forward to meeting my classmates at orientation!


As someone who is highly interested in GULC despite its relative bashing on TLS, what were some deciding factors amidst your other acceptances? Congratulations all around though, D.C. is an awesome city.

User avatar
littlebluetree
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:27 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby littlebluetree » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:27 am

B.Web wrote:As someone who is highly interested in GULC despite its relative bashing on TLS, what were some deciding factors amidst your other acceptances? Congratulations all around though, D.C. is an awesome city.


You know, when I toured/interviewed with current students at any of the schools I was considering, I always asked whether people seemed happy there. Georgetown was the only place I got a yes. Also, the law library is GORGEOUS as opposed to the oppresive hole in the wall it seemed to be at many other schools. And of course, DC is an amazing place to be.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:50 pm

B.Web wrote:
As someone who is highly interested in GULC despite its relative bashing on TLS, what were some deciding factors amidst your other acceptances? Congratulations all around though, D.C. is an awesome city.


It's worth pointing out, and I often do, that most of the GULC hate on this website is based on a rather myopic interpretation of placement statistics, that focuses on biglaw and pretty much ignores PI/gov placement. GULc places less students in biglaw than the rest of the T14, but only by about 5-10%. When you factor in that they place about 10-50% more students in gov/PI jobs, which regardless of how prestigious they are are eligible for LRAP, the situation at Gtown isn't any gloomier than any other lower T14. There's a number of other factors that should be considered in determining a school's placement ability, but most of the GULC hate on here is just people repeating what they've heard, and basing their opinion of school's almost exclusively on USNWR and the NLJ250 numbers.

Sandrew
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Sandrew » Tue Jun 21, 2011 4:21 pm

B.Web wrote:As someone who is highly interested in GULC despite its relative bashing on TLS, what were some deciding factors amidst your other acceptances? Congratulations all around though, D.C. is an awesome city.

Georgetown was an easy choice for me. Wife took a job in DC. I followed.

Still, I'm thrilled to be going, even absent such considerations. I don't put much stock (though admittedly some) in the opinions expressed pseudonymously on TLS, and even less on those of USNews.

User avatar
Whiskeyjack
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Whiskeyjack » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:28 pm

I guess it is time to check in, I certainly spend enough time lurking here so I might as well join up and contribute.

I'm an incoming FT 1L, 22 years old and straight through from undergrad. I'll be living in Gewirz for the upcoming school year. I'm pretty excited for the whole experience, still trying to figure out the best way to get my junk from Arizona to DC though.

Our thread is kind of depressing, this time last year the GULC C/O 2013 thread was rocking 70 pages.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:13 pm

Thanks for the info, really makes it more appealing for me knowing that everything can qualify for LRAP, and can't beat the location


Marionberry wrote:
B.Web wrote:
As someone who is highly interested in GULC despite its relative bashing on TLS, what were some deciding factors amidst your other acceptances? Congratulations all around though, D.C. is an awesome city.


It's worth pointing out, and I often do, that most of the GULC hate on this website is based on a rather myopic interpretation of placement statistics, that focuses on biglaw and pretty much ignores PI/gov placement. GULc places less students in biglaw than the rest of the T14, but only by about 5-10%. When you factor in that they place about 10-50% more students in gov/PI jobs, which regardless of how prestigious they are are eligible for LRAP, the situation at Gtown isn't any gloomier than any other lower T14. There's a number of other factors that should be considered in determining a school's placement ability, but most of the GULC hate on here is just people repeating what they've heard, and basing their opinion of school's almost exclusively on USNWR and the NLJ250 numbers.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:44 pm

B.Web wrote:Thanks for the info, really makes it more appealing for me knowing that everything can qualify for LRAP, and can't beat the location



Just so my previous post isn't misinterpreted, the jobs that GULC places more students into, PI/Gov job, are eligible for LRAP. I'm not sure what you meant by everything, but the standards for LRAP eligibility are pretty much the same at most schools.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Ruxin1 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 pm

MarionBerry - Sorry meant everything as in all gov/pi even prestigious/well paying

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:18 pm

Whiskeyjack wrote: I'm pretty excited for the whole experience, still trying to figure out the best way to get my junk from Arizona to DC though.

i love love love arizona

User avatar
Whiskeyjack
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Whiskeyjack » Wed Jun 22, 2011 7:38 pm

hipstermafia wrote:i love love love arizona


Great scenery, if nothing else. For the last few years though I've somehow managed to spend my winters in the north putting up with ridiculous amounts of snow and my summers down south in the heat. I'm sure I'll miss parts of it but it will be nice to be able to enjoy short visits to Arizona from now on without having to deal with it year round.

SirWilliam1022
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:01 pm

Whiskey... where did you attend undergrad? NAU? I am from AZ as well and went to NAU.

User avatar
Whiskeyjack
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Whiskeyjack » Thu Jun 23, 2011 3:03 am

Yeah, NAU '11

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:29 am

NAU is in flagstaff right?

SirWilliam1022
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:20 pm

Yes, NAU is in Flagstaff. That is cool to know another alum so far away. I graduated '09 and have been circulating around the political scene nationwide for a while. I will PM you my info.

User avatar
savvyradish
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby savvyradish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:48 pm

Anybody else get their section assignments today?

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:51 pm

savvyradish wrote:Anybody else get their section assignments today?


No. Is everyone else able to log into MyAccess with their Netid?

Edit: I did get my section, section 4! I had to log on to the ASW to find that out, though.

User avatar
savvyradish
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby savvyradish » Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:59 pm

Is everyone else able to log into MyAccess with their Netid?


As of a few minutes ago, yes.

I did get my section, section 4! I had to log on to the ASW to find that out, though.


Woo! Perhaps they're sending the emails in section order, since I'm in 1.

No class Fridays makes me smile.

User avatar
Marionberry
Posts: 1302
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:24 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Marionberry » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:09 pm

Can anyone confirm if we will need to use our myaccess page prior to orientation? The ITS department NEVER answers the phone, and my password isn't working. If I can, I will just wait until I can go in person.

aph4law
Posts: 9
Joined: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:51 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby aph4law » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Thought I'd say hi on the forum since I'll be attending GULC. Just got assigned to section 1. Yay for no Friday classes!

Sandrew
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Sandrew » Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:50 pm

Just got my section assignment. I'm a little irked that I didn't get section 3. I phoned the registrar to ask about a waitlist or something. They told me that there is a process to request a section change and that instructions are forthcoming via mass email.

User avatar
grifter1910
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:20 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby grifter1910 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:01 pm

Sandrew wrote:Just got my section assignment. I'm a little irked that I didn't get section 3. I phoned the registrar to ask about a waitlist or something. They told me that there is a process to request a section change and that instructions are forthcoming via mass email.

They never even gave me an opportunity to select section 3 in the first place. What form did you fill out? Any other late admits have this problem?

RTFM
Posts: 307
Joined: Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:45 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby RTFM » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:13 pm

grifter1910 wrote:
Sandrew wrote:Just got my section assignment. I'm a little irked that I didn't get section 3. I phoned the registrar to ask about a waitlist or something. They told me that there is a process to request a section change and that instructions are forthcoming via mass email.

They never even gave me an opportunity to select section 3 in the first place. What form did you fill out? Any other late admits have this problem?


The form is "curriculum selection" and its under "deadlines" on the admitted students page. It might be a little late for that form now, but hopefully there will be room for you to switch in!

I'm in Section 3, woohoo.

User avatar
grifter1910
Posts: 12
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:20 am

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby grifter1910 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:17 pm

RTFM wrote:
grifter1910 wrote:
Sandrew wrote:Just got my section assignment. I'm a little irked that I didn't get section 3. I phoned the registrar to ask about a waitlist or something. They told me that there is a process to request a section change and that instructions are forthcoming via mass email.

They never even gave me an opportunity to select section 3 in the first place. What form did you fill out? Any other late admits have this problem?


The form is "curriculum selection" and its under "deadlines" on the admitted students page. It might be a little late for that form now, but hopefully there will be room for you to switch in!

I'm in Section 3, woohoo.

Fantastic. They didn't even let me in until a few days after that deadline passed. Congrats on getting into Section 3, here's hoping I see you there. If not, maybe I'll drop in on a few lectures during my Fridays off.

User avatar
Whiskeyjack
Posts: 12
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:56 pm

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby Whiskeyjack » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:11 pm

Section 1, reading teacher reviews on ratemyprofessor is hilarious. For just about every professor it is just one review after another saying, "This guy is really smart but he's an arrogant asshole and the exam was too hard!"

Who would have ever guessed that law school professors might not be the kindest and most humble people around?




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest