GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
lawscholar20

New

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by lawscholar20 » Tue May 31, 2011 1:42 pm

RTFM wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:Definitely a dumb question, where are the Student Loan Applications and Georgetown Law Financial Aid Application Part II (the “Blue Form ”)? and are they really due June 1st?
I have no clue if it is really due June 1st, but I just did it all to be on the safe side. (On the financial aid website, it says that you need to complete the entrance counseling and MPNs before filling out the Blue Form. On the actual Blue Form, it says to complete the entrance counseling by the first week of August...)

You can find the Blue Form and all the instructions here:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/ap ... ml#ijdijdt
As I have come to realize most of the "deadlines" at GULC are not hard deadlines. A woman in the financial aid office confirmed this in regard to the Blue Form. She said that they want them in ASAP so that they can figure out tuition credits etc and how much to bill for tuition which is due sometime at the end of July.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Tue May 31, 2011 2:24 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Help!!!

I am trying to configure my lawmail account so that it will pop up on my Mac in the mail app and I cant figure it out.

I am able to receive incoming but when I try to send it says there is a problem with the outgoing server.

Can anyone help?
I have it set up as Exchange IMAP, using mail.law.georgetown.edu for everything. It works.
If you still can't figure it out by the time school starts, let me know. I'm an ex-genius at the Apple store and have done mac repairs on the couches at school for people, so I can probably figure it out.

Just think, incoming 1Ls, this time next year you'll be doing write-on and wondering how the time went by so fast!

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Tue May 31, 2011 9:02 pm

Regarding financial aid questions, everytime i have called their office they have been extremely helpful.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:49 pm

FlanAl wrote:Anyone know where we are supposed to mail (or if we are even supposed mail) the photocopies of our parents tax returns and our tax returns? It says this as a requirment on the deadlines page but doesn't give any detail. I've emailed the financial aid office a few times and gotten zero response. I've managed to do everything else but this deadline is getting pretty close. If anyone has any advice I'd really appreciate it.
Last year they let us email this stuff in. YMMV.

juevonate

New

Post by juevonate » Sat Jun 04, 2011 3:43 pm

I've finally officially committed to Georgtown.

Hello!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:53 pm

Is it just me, or does finaid never respond to emails? I guess I'll have to call unless anyone can help. I completed all the requirements and signed the MPNs for stafford and gradplus, now I just wait for GTown to finalize everything? This lack of communication is killing me.
juevonate wrote:I've finally officially committed to Georgtown.

Hello!
Congrats, I can't wait to move to DC

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:57 pm

They never respond to emails, it's not just you. I've found them to be much better if you call though!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:01 am

Hey, anyone in Gewirz know why some rooms have 'A' at the end of the room number? Does that mean we're assigned specific rooms in, say, a 2 or 3 bedroom apt?

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:03 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Hey, anyone in Gewirz know why some rooms have 'A' at the end of the room number? Does that mean we're assigned specific rooms in, say, a 2 or 3 bedroom apt?
Yes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Siamsa414

Bronze

Post by Siamsa414 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:24 pm

Officially signing off. Decided to accept an offer off the waitlist at NYU. Best of luck to you all at GULC!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:22 am

MSPeast wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Hey, anyone in Gewirz know why some rooms have 'A' at the end of the room number? Does that mean we're assigned specific rooms in, say, a 2 or 3 bedroom apt?
Yes.
Thanks for the response.

In other news, how's everyone doing w/finaid and other forms? Orientation schedule just went up today on the ASW. Not terribly exciting, to be honest.

kobebeef

New

Post by kobebeef » Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:45 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
MSPeast wrote:
Yes.
Thanks for the response.

In other news, how's everyone doing w/finaid and other forms? Orientation schedule just went up today on the ASW. Not terribly exciting, to be honest.
I can't seem to find the orientation schedule. ASW looks like it was designed in 5 hours by someone using iWeb and Microsoft Word.

I also asked for an extension for the Gewirz deadline until i visit later that week. They haven't responded so who knows.

littlebluetree

New

Post by littlebluetree » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:41 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Orientation schedule just went up today on the ASW. Not terribly exciting, to be honest.

Yeah... You noticed that too? Not to get all Elle Woods, but isn't there anything, like, fun planned? A BBQ or a dinner or *something* besides a faculty lecture and community service??

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:44 pm

littlebluetree wrote:
wiseguy33 wrote:Orientation schedule just went up today on the ASW. Not terribly exciting, to be honest.

Yeah... You noticed that too? Not to get all Elle Woods, but isn't there anything, like, fun planned? A BBQ or a dinner or *something* besides a faculty lecture and community service??
i thought when i looked at the schedule it had a picnic with profs/admins and a dinner on the main campus? i think i looked at it before my morning coffee though so it's entirely possible i just made that up.

ps. i love your username littlebluetree, how adorable!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:48 am

I remember there being an event on the main campus, mostly because of a stern admonition re: getting back on the bus in time. Don't remember anything about a coffee reception or dinner. Then again, I checked last week when the schedule was first posted. Maybe they updated since then.

littlebluetree

New

Post by littlebluetree » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:08 am

wiseguy33 wrote:I remember there being an event on the main campus, mostly because of a stern admonition re: getting back on the bus in time. Don't remember anything about a coffee reception or dinner. Then again, I checked last week when the schedule was first posted. Maybe they updated since then.
Yeah, ditto - it's possible they updated their events since I looked. I was mostly concerned with the general feeling of joylessness displayed in the schedule. -- I know we're going to LAW SCHOOL, but I don't see why we should make our lives any more dour and cheerless than they absolutely need to be. I for one think orientation should absolutely involve Sangria and some kickin' tunes.

and
hipstermafia wrote:ps. i love your username littlebluetree, how adorable!
Thanks! I have a little blue tree tattoo. - I'm a fan of "hipstermafia" too. Good to know I won't be leaving the hipsters behind just because I'm off to law school.

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:54 pm

Last year there was a lot of fun stuff that happened, but I don't think the details for those were out this far in advance.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:54 am

littlebluetree wrote:I for one think orientation should absolutely involve Sangria and some kickin' tunes.
we're going to be good friends :)
MSPeast wrote:Last year there was a lot of fun stuff that happened, but I don't think the details for those were out this far in advance.
yay!

sketchonglass

New

Post by sketchonglass » Wed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 pm

Hello! I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on dc's music scene. I've lived in baltimore for the past four years of my life, but only rarely popped by dc for concerts. Is there an indie scene ala baltimore's MICA crowd?

Also anyone going to the glitch mob concert (bloody brilliant) at the DC 9:30 club in July? I would love to meet some fellow music-lovers/law students there!

Thanks!

grifter1910

New

Post by grifter1910 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:12 pm

Now that I'm committed to GULC, who here still needs an off-campus roommate? I don't drive, am hypoallergenic and don't shed much. I've found a lot of tempting stuff via craigslist, largely in Columbia Heights, mostly 2br in the $2000/mo. range, but I need somebody to share with me. I'd be happy to do reconnaissance when I visit the 2nd week of July, unless you've already done so and found a perfect spot. PM me if you're interested.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:08 am

sketchonglass wrote:Hello! I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on dc's music scene. I've lived in baltimore for the past four years of my life, but only rarely popped by dc for concerts. Is there an indie scene ala baltimore's MICA crowd?

Also anyone going to the glitch mob concert (bloody brilliant) at the DC 9:30 club in July? I would love to meet some fellow music-lovers/law students there!

Thanks!
you rang? jk

I don't think the music scene in dc is much different, there is not a real MICA crowd (there's an art school in arlington but nothing in the city that i know of) but there are still plenty of people who are very into music and a lot of indie venues a la the 8x10 where those people hang out. H st and U st (where 9:30 club is) are always having shows of some sort, i'm partial to rock and roll hotel on h st myself and it's not very far from the law school :) I used to go to baltimore all the time for shows but in the past few years i've seen more and more bands play dc instead of baltimore, the scene is definitely on the up! I'll be out of town for the glitch mob show but put me down for another one.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Jun 16, 2011 9:30 am

Has anyone had any luck contacting the IT department? I have called several times, and every time I do I get a message saying that they are "experiencing an unusually high call volume right now, and no one is available" which honestly seems questionable. I mean, it's the IT department at a law school, albeit a big one, not AT&T customer service or something. I left them a message, but I don't expect I'll hear back from them because no one returns voicemails/emails it seems like, whether it's a LS help desk or a potential landlord or the manager of a restaurant where you want to have your rehearsal dinner. I try to be positive, but it seems like almost everyone I deal with is either completely inept or just unconcerned with providing me service, which 9 times out of 10 I am trying to PAY THEM or have already paid them for. Ugh. I just want to access my netid. /rant

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:02 am

hipstermafia wrote:
sketchonglass wrote:Hello! I was wondering if anyone has the scoop on dc's music scene. I've lived in baltimore for the past four years of my life, but only rarely popped by dc for concerts. Is there an indie scene ala baltimore's MICA crowd?

Thanks!
you rang? jk

I don't think the music scene in dc is much different, there is not a real MICA crowd (there's an art school in arlington but nothing in the city that i know of) but there are still plenty of people who are very into music and a lot of indie venues a la the 8x10 where those people hang out. H st and U st (where 9:30 club is) are always having shows of some sort, i'm partial to rock and roll hotel on h st myself and it's not very far from the law school :) I used to go to baltimore all the time for shows but in the past few years i've seen more and more bands play dc instead of baltimore, the scene is definitely on the up! I'll be out of town for the glitch mob show but put me down for another one.
Yes! So stoked. This reaffirms why I chose GULC over Cornell. In a city like D.C., there will always be something going on. I know 1L will be busy, but a show or two on the weekends is totally possible, yeah? Yeah.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Fri Jun 17, 2011 12:05 pm

wiseguy33 wrote: Yes! So stoked. This reaffirms why I chose GULC over Cornell. In a city like D.C., there will always be something going on. I know 1L will be busy, but a show or two on the weekends is totally possible, yeah? Yeah.
Not only possible, also necessary for our sanity

Mike12188

Silver

Post by Mike12188 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 am

Nevermind

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”