GULC Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
swiftdittrich

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Postby swiftdittrich » Wed May 18, 2011 2:05 pm

Hey gang, I'm happy to join this thread. Unless I get into Penn, (got lots of family in Philly) I'll be joining you lot at GULC and fired up to do so.

FlanAl wrote:
constellations wrote:i'm excited for this california contingent!

FlanAl wrote:any of the accepted students interested in trying to go surf a bit next year

YES

where in california are you from? if you're in the neighborhood we could try and meet up before we head out there. on that note are there any other prospective gulc's from san diego or california in general?

I am from San Diego and a surfer! I feel like I should be involved in this conversation. I'm in OB, where do you stay Flan?

DAisaka09 wrote:Are any of you guys do any BJJ/Judo/Submissions Wrestling? I'm excited to move to a part of the country that has such a huge bjj community and a lot of good schools Team Lloyd Irvin, Ryan Hall, etcetera but i'm worried about having time to train (school comes first) and having transportation. Do you know if GULC's fitness center offers any classes/if there are any clubs?

Woah, looks like I'm in good company! I currently train in San Diego and I'm definitely going to be looking for somewhere to train when I get out to DC. I have been asking my professor to give me a list of the schools that he would recommend I go to. He's been getting me fired up, saying there's a lot of great ones. There's a chance I might have a car out there as well. Actually it's pretty likely. I'll keep you posted.

Siamsa414 wrote:OK, TLS GULC: Which curriculum are you choosing, and why?

I'm still not sure about this one... I am kind of interested in the history stuff so I might go with that. I also heard from an alum that it makes for good conversation during interviews.

How is everyone's last true summer going? Big plans? Trapped working?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed May 18, 2011 2:18 pm

swiftdittrich wrote:

Quitting my job in two weeks, selling my car, packing up my belongings, getting married, honeymoon in Hawaii, then driving halfway across the country in a Ryder truck to DC. It's gonna be epic.

DAisaka09

Postby DAisaka09 » Wed May 18, 2011 6:31 pm

swiftdittrich wrote:Woah, looks like I'm in good company! I currently train in San Diego and I'm definitely going to be looking for somewhere to train when I get out to DC. I have been asking my professor to give me a list of the schools that he would recommend I go to. He's been getting me fired up, saying there's a lot of great ones. There's a chance I might have a car out there as well. Actually it's pretty likely. I'll keep you posted.

Nice man, i've been looking around a lot online and it seems like there are a ton of good schools in the area, the only problem would be transportation. I was hoping that i could continue to train even while in law school, if i could bum a ride that would be awesome.

swiftdittrich

Postby swiftdittrich » Wed May 18, 2011 8:41 pm

DAisaka09 wrote:Nice man, i've been looking around a lot online and it seems like there are a ton of good schools in the area, the only problem would be transportation. I was hoping that i could continue to train even while in law school, if i could bum a ride that would be awesome.

Oh most definitely you can get a ride - unless you grind your forearm into dudes' necks while you try to pass haha. Training is one of the few parts of my life I'm hoping to keep intact during school as well.

Marionberry wrote:
Quitting my job in two weeks, selling my car, packing up my belongings, getting married, honeymoon in Hawaii, then driving halfway across the country in a Ryder truck to DC. It's gonna be epic.

That is definitely going to be epic. Congratulations on everything!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed May 18, 2011 8:50 pm

swiftdittrich wrote:That is definitely going to be epic. Congratulations on everything!

Thanks! It's definitely exciting. It's gonna be two months full of radical positive life changes. I'm pretty stoked.

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed May 18, 2011 10:44 pm

swiftdittrich wrote:Hey gang, I'm happy to join this thread. Unless I get into Penn, (got lots of family in Philly) I'll be joining you lot at GULC and fired up to do so.

FlanAl wrote:
constellations wrote:i'm excited for this california contingent!

FlanAl wrote:any of the accepted students interested in trying to go surf a bit next year

YES

where in california are you from? if you're in the neighborhood we could try and meet up before we head out there. on that note are there any other prospective gulc's from san diego or california in general?

I am from San Diego and a surfer! I feel like I should be involved in this conversation. I'm in OB, where do you stay Flan?

DAisaka09 wrote:Are any of you guys do any BJJ/Judo/Submissions Wrestling? I'm excited to move to a part of the country that has such a huge bjj community and a lot of good schools Team Lloyd Irvin, Ryan Hall, etcetera but i'm worried about having time to train (school comes first) and having transportation. Do you know if GULC's fitness center offers any classes/if there are any clubs?

Woah, looks like I'm in good company! I currently train in San Diego and I'm definitely going to be looking for somewhere to train when I get out to DC. I have been asking my professor to give me a list of the schools that he would recommend I go to. He's been getting me fired up, saying there's a lot of great ones. There's a chance I might have a car out there as well. Actually it's pretty likely. I'll keep you posted.

I'm still not sure about this one... I am kind of interested in the history stuff so I might go with that. I also heard from an alum that it makes for good conversation during interviews.

just across the bridges in crownpoint. are you an sd native?

swiftdittrich

Postby swiftdittrich » Thu May 19, 2011 12:22 am

FlanAl wrote:just across the bridges in crownpoint. are you an sd native?

Ya man! 92106/7 since day 1 (minus a few wayward college years in LA of all places)

ajcollege

Postby ajcollege » Thu May 19, 2011 11:14 am

Marionberry wrote:
swiftdittrich wrote:

I'm basically doing the exact same thing, except my honeymoon is in Europe and I don't think Boston -> DC would count as "halfway across the country".

Congrats, Marionberry!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 am

ajcollege wrote:
I'm basically doing the exact same thing, except my honeymoon is in Europe and I don't think Boston -> DC would count as "halfway across the country".

Congrats, Marionberry!

Likewise! Where are ya'll going in Europe? We had considered it, but I decided I would rather opt for a low intensity honeymoon amidst all the other stress that this summer/fall is gonna bring.

ajcollege

Postby ajcollege » Fri May 20, 2011 9:56 am

We have a cruise planned - ports of call in Spain, Italy, and France. Nice part is the all-inclusiveness. And I hear you on the stress - between moving, wedding, and law school, my plate is very very full.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Sat May 21, 2011 8:21 pm

So, are you guys choosing curriculum A or B, and why?

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Sun May 22, 2011 3:35 pm

anybody else living in gewirz get their room assignments today? im in one of the "renovated" apartments, a 2 bedroom on the 9th floor! did anyone happen to call and ask what the renovations entailed?

dk8

Postby dk8 » Sun May 22, 2011 8:59 pm

What's goin on 2014,

I'm a rising 2L at GULC and may have a couple of rooms for rent. I'm a 15 minute walk from school in a safe neighborhood, and the rent is less than $1000 a month. If you're not staying in Gewirz, this is a good option. PM me if interested.

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 am

almostfamous wrote:anybody else living in gewirz get their room assignments today? im in one of the "renovated" apartments, a 2 bedroom on the 9th floor! did anyone happen to call and ask what the renovations entailed?

Edit: Got my assignment. I'm in a renovated room as well, no idea what that means. I'm hoping it's worth the rent increase!

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Tue May 24, 2011 2:48 pm

I called the office, theyre redoing the flooring in all the renovated apartments along with the kitchens and the bathrooms (new countertops, cabinets, sink, and updating all the appliances). the furniture will probably stay the same though (or at least the type, she said something about them redoing every other floor).

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Tue May 24, 2011 5:45 pm

almostfamous wrote:I called the office, theyre redoing the flooring in all the renovated apartments along with the kitchens and the bathrooms (new countertops, cabinets, sink, and updating all the appliances). the furniture will probably stay the same though (or at least the type, she said something about them redoing every other floor).

Thanks for the info. New bathrooms and kitchens sound great. The appliances I saw on the tour were a little outdated.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue May 24, 2011 5:56 pm

I have a surefire method for selecting between GULC's curriculum A and B.

1. Do you ever drink things out of mason jars?
2. Do you own a pair of converse sneakers in every color?
3. Have you already google searched for info on DC organic farmer's markets?
4. When you go shopping do you always carry some sort of canvas bag in lieu of a regular shopping bag?
5. Do you still think that you're actually going to law school to "help people"?

If you've answered yes to more than three of these, I strongly suggest curriculum B. ;)

Postby 02122015 » Tue May 24, 2011 7:24 pm

My Gewirz room is one being renovated this summer... and it needs it. Stuff was starting to fall apart... dripping faucets, very dated cabinets, etc. TBH, on the very last morning before I moved out, I was cleaning the kitchen sink and the faucet fell off and water sprayed everywhere... :roll:

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Tue May 24, 2011 8:59 pm

Hey so there isn't anything in the email (a couples weeks ago with deadlines etc. from cornblatt) about this june 1st financial aid deadline. I'm not sure if I read it correctly but does this mean we have to have all of our loan stuff taken care of by the 1st (MPN, counseling session etc.). If we do this can we still get loans to go to a different school? thanks

RTFM

Postby RTFM » Wed May 25, 2011 12:26 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey so there isn't anything in the email (a couples weeks ago with deadlines etc. from cornblatt) about this june 1st financial aid deadline. I'm not sure if I read it correctly but does this mean we have to have all of our loan stuff taken care of by the 1st (MPN, counseling session etc.). If we do this can we still get loans to go to a different school? thanks

Where are you seeing the June 1st financial aid deadline? (And great question.)

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 am

dk8 wrote:What's goin on 2014,

I'm a rising 2L at GULC and may have a couple of rooms for rent. I'm a 15 minute walk from school in a safe neighborhood, and the rent is less than $1000 a month. If you're not staying in Gewirz, this is a good option. PM me if interested.

pm sent

FlanAl

Postby FlanAl » Wed May 25, 2011 11:10 am

on the admitted students page when you click on enrolling and then click on deadlines its the second to last thing on the june 1st deadlines.

clearfire

Postby clearfire » Wed May 25, 2011 11:11 am

FlanAl wrote:Hey so there isn't anything in the email (a couples weeks ago with deadlines etc. from cornblatt) about this june 1st financial aid deadline. I'm not sure if I read it correctly but does this mean we have to have all of our loan stuff taken care of by the 1st (MPN, counseling session etc.). If we do this can we still get loans to go to a different school? thanks

I was told that you can get the loans at another school even after you have filled out the MPNs etc. I actually did the whole process for a different school before deciding to attend GULC.

RTFM wrote:Where are you seeing the June 1st financial aid deadline? (And great question.)

Go to the admitted students website, then highlight "Enrolling" and go down and click on "Deadlines"

Mike12188

Postby Mike12188 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:23 am

When I go to do the Entrance Counseling under the school drop down it only has Georgetown University and not the law school. Anyone else have this problem?

extra

Postby extra » Wed May 25, 2011 11:37 am

Mike12188 wrote:When I go to do the Entrance Counseling under the school drop down it only has Georgetown University and not the law school. Anyone else have this problem?

That is not a problem. I selected Georgetown University and my Entrance Counseling has been posted to myaccess as complete.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”