GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Sandrew

New

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by Sandrew » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:21 am

masterthearts wrote:I am getting very nervous about starting gulc since I only got in the low 160's on the lsat. I am attending, but have read that there are students there (2 and 3L students...and I"m guessing 1L's as well) with double majors in economics and astrophysics, people with triple majors from Stanford, etc.
I'm scared I'll flunk out or end up at the bottom of the class Does anyone else have the jitters?
But, I do have a high gpa from an ivy (not in astrophysics or anything math/science oriented)
Any thoughts are appreciated.
It's okay to be nervous. If it makes you feel any better, I'm antsy too, and I have pretty good numbers. But try not to get hung up on what other people accomplished before law school. In about a week, we'll all be back at square one.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:30 am

Sandrew wrote: It's okay to be nervous. If it makes you feel any better, I'm antsy too, and I have pretty good numbers. But try not to get hung up on what other people accomplished before law school. In about a week, we'll all be back at square one.
+1

I'm nervous, too. For me, it's mostly about balancing meeting people, joining groups, finding a study group, etc, with family obligations, as I have a baby daughter at home who needs her daddy! At 32, I'm also older than most students, I imagine.

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:06 am

musicfor18 wrote: For me, it's mostly about balancing meeting people, joining groups, finding a study group, etc, with family obligations, as I have a baby daughter at home who needs her daddy! At 32, I'm also older than most students, I imagine.
I hear you. I'm 31, about to end an 8-year career, newly married, burning my savings, and just moved to a new city where my wife and I know precisely zero other people. After academic concerns, I think I'm most worried about the social aspect of being a non-traditional law student, to be honest. But I gotta believe there will be enough of us thirtysomethings at Georgetown for us to find and befriend one another. And I'm sure I'll find common ground with a few young people too.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Sandrew wrote:
musicfor18 wrote: For me, it's mostly about balancing meeting people, joining groups, finding a study group, etc, with family obligations, as I have a baby daughter at home who needs her daddy! At 32, I'm also older than most students, I imagine.
I hear you. I'm 31, about to end an 8-year career, newly married, burning my savings, and just moved to a new city where my wife and I know precisely zero other people. After academic concerns, I think I'm most worried about the social aspect of being a non-traditional law student, to be honest. But I gotta believe there will be enough of us thirtysomethings at Georgetown for us to find and befriend one another. And I'm sure I'll find common ground with a few young people too.
I'm 23 and am thinking most in gewirz will be newly out of college. Yes, my common ground with you is that we are both scared. I know I cannot possibly compete with people like the RA at gewirz who double majored in Poli Sci and astrophysics.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:54 pm

Free drinks on MSpeat and Volsi!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:27 am

D. H2Oman wrote:Free drinks on MSpeat and Volsi!
I'm so much of a party you don't even need alcohol. Girl, please.

In all seriousness guys - yeah there are Stanford people and triple majors and all that. But law school takes a different kind of intelligence than undergrad, by far. Time management, ability to manage anxiety, prioritization, networking - that's what you'll need to succeed as an attorney and that's actually what law school teaches you. You're not competing with some superstar RA, you're mostly competing with yourself.

Some of the biggest "geniuses" on paper in my section were the people who completely froze up when called on for a simple fact recitation. Different skill sets.

Non-traditional students have a lot of success here. I'm 27 and I'm friends with both 21 year olds and 34 year olds and everything in between.

and I'm sure I speak for MSPeast when I say that if any of you have any questions, to feel free to bug us. You guys start orientation next week? Feel free to PM me. I'll be happy to host a table in the cafe sometime next week too. I live off campus (and recommend it) but I'm around.

johndhi

Bronze

Post by johndhi » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:39 pm

I can vouch for Volsi being right :)

I'm a 2L who found TLS very helpful in my first year here. If any if you (especially section 3ers) have questions, feel free to PM.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Jul 17, 2012 2:46 pm

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 3&t=189522

EIW thread for GULCers. I won't post mine until a few are up to make sure that mine remains anonymous (anonymous feature doesn't help when everyone knows your first)

sunshine111

New

Post by sunshine111 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:04 pm

Anyone looking to sublet a 2-BR in DC this summer? PM me!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

swtlilsoni

Bronze

Post by swtlilsoni » Sun Feb 03, 2013 10:06 pm

hey did anyone have rosa brooks for international law?
Please PM me or let me know! thanks

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”