GULC Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
hipstermafia

Silver

Re: GULC Class of 2014

Post by hipstermafia » Sun Jul 17, 2011 8:40 pm

clearfire wrote:Did any current students bring a car registered out of state? It looks like DC requires you to buy a "reciprocity permit" and for students the cost is $338/year. Am I understanding the DC DMV website correctly?
it's difficult to even qualify for one of these permits and they are meant to be temporary, just switch your tags to dc unless you have parking where you can get away with out of state tags (underground, alley, etc.)

Splitt3r

Bronze

Post by Splitt3r » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:31 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
clearfire wrote:Did any current students bring a car registered out of state? It looks like DC requires you to buy a "reciprocity permit" and for students the cost is $338/year. Am I understanding the DC DMV website correctly?
it's difficult to even qualify for one of these permits and they are meant to be temporary, just switch your tags to dc unless you have parking where you can get away with out of state tags (underground, alley, etc.)
I actually have one and it was pretty easy to get. You just have to live on a street that has permitted parking (which means if you're living in Gewirz, you're out of luck.) However, if you're living in a row house or something of that nature on a street that has permit parking, it's not a big deal and can save you a big hassle and perhaps expense if you're still on your parents insurance.

I actually stopped by to see if anyone coming to GULC in the fall was still looking for housing this late in the game. I have a house on capitol hill that currently has a vacant room that I'm trying to find someone for. It's a really nice house, and is about three blocks from the metro/appropriate bus lines. PM for details.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:20 am

Anyone else in Section 1 here?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:46 am

Splitt3r wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
I actually have one and it was pretty easy to get. You just have to live on a street that has permitted parking (which means if you're living in Gewirz, you're out of luck.) However, if you're living in a row house or something of that nature on a street that has permit parking, it's not a big deal and can save you a big hassle and perhaps expense if you're still on your parents insurance.
it looks like there is a student permit that is renewable, i was thinking you would have to use the six month visitor one that is not renewable. i stand corrected!

My car insurance did not go up nearly that much after i moved to dc though, so it might be worth looking into both of those options if you're going to be here for 3 years.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:57 pm

Does everyone in the 1L class have Fridays off? College is over, but Thirsty Thursday, anyone? :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Whiskeyjack

New

Post by Whiskeyjack » Thu Jul 21, 2011 5:09 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:Does everyone in the 1L class have Fridays off? College is over, but Thirsty Thursday, anyone? :P

Yes, please.

I was so happy when I visited and discovered that there is a liquor store right across the street from campus.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:07 pm

Here's the link for the Social Scene facebook page, so you all can get updates on where Bar Review is. I've never heard of Thirsty Thursdays, but this way your drinking needs will be fulfilled. --LinkRemoved--

For me, it was the inverse. I drank less all of 1L year than I did in any year since I was 18. YMMV.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:28 pm

volsi wrote:Here's the link for the Social Scene facebook page, so you all can get updates on where Bar Review is. I've never heard of Thirsty Thursdays, but this way your drinking needs will be fulfilled. --LinkRemoved--

For me, it was the inverse. I drank less all of 1L year than I did in any year since I was 18. YMMV.
Thanks for the link. I don't plan on drinking to college levels, but it would be nice to have at least some time away from the library.

Another question, x-posted in another forum: Does anyone know how sketch the area around campus is? I know there's a homeless shelter and drug rehab center next door. I'll be living in Gewirz without a car, so that means a lot of walking around at night/to ATMs.

law4vus

Silver

Post by law4vus » Tue Jul 26, 2011 5:40 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
volsi wrote: Another question, x-posted in another forum: Does anyone know how sketch the area around campus is? I know there's a homeless shelter and drug rehab center next door. I'll be living in Gewirz without a car, so that means a lot of walking around at night/to ATMs.
Not going to GULC but I've lived in/near DC my entire life.

The area around campus isn't great, as with most of the area immediately surrounding Capitol Hill. It is in NW DC, but it borders some of the less desirable areas and there tends to be a lot of crime there, especially around Union Station at night. I'd be pretty careful walking around at night in that area and I think heading to an ATM at night around there might not be the best idea. I'm not saying you'll get shot walking down the street or anything (like in Southeast) but just be careful/smart about it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jul 26, 2011 8:24 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
volsi wrote:Here's the link for the Social Scene facebook page, so you all can get updates on where Bar Review is. I've never heard of Thirsty Thursdays, but this way your drinking needs will be fulfilled. --LinkRemoved--

Thanks for the link. I don't plan on drinking to college levels, but it would be nice to have at least some time away from the library.

Another question, x-posted in another forum: Does anyone know how sketch the area around campus is? I know there's a homeless shelter and drug rehab center next door. I'll be living in Gewirz without a car, so that means a lot of walking around at night/to ATMs.
The campus block feels really safe. Guards patrol the area at all times of the day and night. However, the homeless shelter is next door and does often have police officers, ambulances, and fire trucks there dealing with issues of some sort. The area beside it also becomes a shanty town during rainstorms. I lived in the dorm and never felt unsafe, but also didn't walk that way at night. It is pretty apparent which areas are bad if you walk them during the day and can know to avoid them at night. I walked to Union Station quite often and never had a problem except the occasional person on the street begging for this and that. I have heard sometimes they were hostile with people but I never had a problem.

The worst thing is when people are basically passed out on the sidewalk and rolling around. That was always in Chinatown though.

The campus has a few atms too.

DouglasDevelopment

New

Post by DouglasDevelopment » Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:44 pm

Last edited by DouglasDevelopment on Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NewIvy

New

Post by NewIvy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 3:19 am

Well, it's better than my current home in Columbia Heights. We've had at least 4 shootings within a mile of my group house in the past month with at least 3 fatalities. The two nearest my house (within 4 blocks) were between the hours of 5 and 7 PM. Someone tried to break into the house next door in broad daylight. No one even bothers to count the muggings. Rumor has it that a man is cruising along on a bike near Target and pulling a gun lately.

Moving to Gallery Place in a few weeks. I know it's not the suburbs, but it's a lot better than Columbia Heights.

Bottom line: you're moving to DC. You need to pay attention to when and where you are walking to stay safe.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 am

I live in SW (Near the Waterfront metro) and I walk home from school all the time. It really depends on which route you take. I usually head down E towards the Judicary Square Metro and then walk by the courts, which have a police presence at all times. Similarly, walking down F street towards Union Station is quite safe because that's the block with all the bars.
The school block has excellent security and I've never felt unsafe there. Also, no need to stay at the library that late - there's plenty of time to get everything done, at least first semester.

I actually feel most unsafe late at night in the Gallery Place metro station. 16 year old girl threatened to beat me up because I wouldn't lend her my cell phone.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Platinum

Post by 02122015 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:27 pm

volsi wrote: I actually feel most unsafe late at night in the Gallery Place metro station. 16 year old girl threatened to beat me up because I wouldn't lend her my cell phone.
I'm gonna second this. Of the big transfer Metro stations, only L'Enfant has more stories like this.

gators88

New

Post by gators88 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:15 am

Hi guys, I know I already spammed your Facebook page, but if anyone is looking for housing still in DC, there is one bedroom available in an awesome 4br house in the U street area. We just got approved for the lease so we are scrambling to find a 4th.

Your roommates would be 3 pretty interesting 2L guys. We are pretty social, have some parties, go to bar reviews but we all care about school and all managed to do pretty well last year. I'm from FL, the other two guys are from LA.

If you are interested send me a PM and I can tell you more about the place. Also feel free to pass this on to friends. The house is awesome and we need to find a 4th within a week or so if we want to take the lease.

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:10 pm

Just wanted to share a heads-up for any Mac owners who are looking to purchase Parallels at the discounted price available to Georgetown students. I just tried purchasing Parallels Desktop 6.0 through the e-academy website (for a link, go through the Georgetown IST site here). When I went to check-out, I got a message saying I was ineligible, even though I appeared to meet all the requirements. I called e-academy, and they said it's a problem with their system. Incidentally, I wasn't the first person to call with the same issue. They're working on a fix. So if you tried to buy Parallels at a student discount and were told you were ineligible, don't rush out and pay full price. Wait a day or so and try again.

Another random tip, this time for anyone looking to run MS Office 2010 on multiple machines. I asked the support desk at e-academy whether the MS Office 2010 license I purchased through e-academy could be used on multiple machines (in my case, a desktop and a laptop). To my surprise, he said yes; just reuse the same activation key. I haven't tried it yet, but if I ever get Parallels working on my Air, I'll let you know if this tip works.

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:40 am

Thanks for the replies, everyone.

Also, in case anyone hasn't joined yet: http://www.facebook.com/groups/137680072971262/

Most sections have FB groups set up as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:39 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:
Most sections have FB groups set up as well.
I didn't know there were FB groups set up for each section. How would I find them? I tried searching in FB and didn't find anything.

Whiskeyjack

New

Post by Whiskeyjack » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:55 am

The individual section groups are all linked to on the wall of the primary group that Wiseguy posted.

musicfor18

Silver

Post by musicfor18 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:53 am

Whiskeyjack wrote:The individual section groups are all linked to on the wall of the primary group that Wiseguy posted.
Got it. Thank you!

Sandrew

New

Post by Sandrew » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 pm

For those in Section 4, are you planning to attend orientation on Tuesday of next week? It looks from the calendar that there's not much going on Tuesday besides a couple of tours, both of which we'll be able to take advantage of later in the week. Unless I'm reading this schedule wrong, I'm thinking I'll be starting my orientation with the service project on Wednesday morning.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

temperance

New

Post by temperance » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:45 pm

Sandrew wrote:For those in Section 4, are you planning to attend orientation on Tuesday of next week? It looks from the calendar that there's not much going on Tuesday besides a couple of tours, both of which we'll be able to take advantage of later in the week. Unless I'm reading this schedule wrong, I'm thinking I'll be starting my orientation with the service project on Wednesday morning.
That's my read of the schedule as well, and I'm not planning on attending anything before Wednesday's service project either.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:45 pm

I am getting very nervous about starting gulc since I only got in the low 160's on the lsat. I am attending, but have read that there are students there (2 and 3L students...and I"m guessing 1L's as well) with double majors in economics and astrophysics, people with triple majors from Stanford, etc.
I'm scared I'll flunk out or end up at the bottom of the class Does anyone else have the jitters?
But, I do have a high gpa from an ivy (not in astrophysics or anything math/science oriented)
Any thoughts are appreciated.

volsi

Bronze

Post by volsi » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:49 am

masterthearts wrote:I am getting very nervous about starting gulc since I only got in the low 160's on the lsat. I am attending, but have read that there are students there (2 and 3L students...and I"m guessing 1L's as well) with double majors in economics and astrophysics, people with triple majors from Stanford, etc.
I'm scared I'll flunk out or end up at the bottom of the class Does anyone else have the jitters?
But, I do have a high gpa from an ivy (not in astrophysics or anything math/science oriented)
I went to a city college (one step above community college) and majored in creative writing. I'm fine. You will be too. The people here are great. Remember to breathe.

masterthearts

Bronze

Post by masterthearts » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:41 am

volsi wrote:
masterthearts wrote:I am getting very nervous about starting gulc since I only got in the low 160's on the lsat. I am attending, but have read that there are students there (2 and 3L students...and I"m guessing 1L's as well) with double majors in economics and astrophysics, people with triple majors from Stanford, etc.
I went to a city college (one step above community college) and majored in creative writing. I'm fine. You will be too. The people here are great. Remember to breathe.
I really appreciate the encouragement..and the student that doubled majored in PS and astrophysics is a gewirz RA, so is the Stanford student with the triple major.
It's scary to think that tests are graded on a curve and I will be compared to geniuses. I really appreciate your kind words.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”