University of Texas Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:31 pm

CMDantes wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Ummmm.... I'm looking at Financial Aid and all I'm seeing are loans - loans that add up to the full cost of attendance. Where do you check on scholarships and was there something I had to do to keep them/any possible way I could have lost them?


I'd call financial aid and they'll sort it out.


I did. And they did. The people in the financial aid office are very nice.

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby CMDantes » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:48 pm

lisjjen wrote:
CMDantes wrote:
lisjjen wrote:Ummmm.... I'm looking at Financial Aid and all I'm seeing are loans - loans that add up to the full cost of attendance. Where do you check on scholarships and was there something I had to do to keep them/any possible way I could have lost them?


I'd call financial aid and they'll sort it out.


I did. And they did. The people in the financial aid office are very nice.


+1

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby turbotong » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:57 pm

I just got the notification that they received my FAFSA on Thursday. I submitted it on March 30th or earlier...
Did anyone else have this kind of delay?
On Thursday (Apr 28) I was notified that they received my FAFSA (after I called on Wednesday to ask why they haven't sent me my financial aid package yet). Several hours later on Thursday they said I was missing a proof of citizenship. I sent that via fax first thing this (Friday) morning, and got a notification that they received that the same day.
How long do they take to process it? Why the delay?!?!

kjo731
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby kjo731 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:47 pm

CMDantes wrote:I just put down my deposit and application fee at some apartments directly north of the law school, 1 bed 1 bath. Very reasonably priced given the location and how big it is. PM for details.

It's about 15 minutes walking from the law school/25 minutes from the main gym so I figured I'd get a bike. Went to the bike shop on 24th and San Gabriel and I have my eye on this nice blue 7-speed for about 320.00.

All of this is making me really, really excited.



While we're on the subject of bikes, I would like to note that you can find a very nice bike for cheaper on Craigslist. As soon as I decided on staying in Austin and realized I'd have to bike up the Duval hill everyday I started shopping around. I ended up getting a nice vintage Trek road bike for $240 cash. I've taken it on a few test-ride loops from my current apartment to the law school and up Duval to where I'm living next year. It's definitely worth more than I paid for it. If I were you, I'd check craigslist and fb marketplace before buying from a west campus shop.

CMDantes
Posts: 420
Joined: Thu Feb 04, 2010 2:37 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby CMDantes » Sun May 01, 2011 11:28 pm

kjo731 wrote:
CMDantes wrote:I just put down my deposit and application fee at some apartments directly north of the law school, 1 bed 1 bath. Very reasonably priced given the location and how big it is. PM for details.

It's about 15 minutes walking from the law school/25 minutes from the main gym so I figured I'd get a bike. Went to the bike shop on 24th and San Gabriel and I have my eye on this nice blue 7-speed for about 320.00.

All of this is making me really, really excited.



While we're on the subject of bikes, I would like to note that you can find a very nice bike for cheaper on Craigslist. As soon as I decided on staying in Austin and realized I'd have to bike up the Duval hill everyday I started shopping around. I ended up getting a nice vintage Trek road bike for $240 cash. I've taken it on a few test-ride loops from my current apartment to the law school and up Duval to where I'm living next year. It's definitely worth more than I paid for it. If I were you, I'd check craigslist and fb marketplace before buying from a west campus shop.


Noted, appreciate the tip!

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby japes » Mon May 02, 2011 11:19 am

Anyone else buying ACL tickets tomorrow?

nonprofit-prophet
Posts: 844
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:10 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby nonprofit-prophet » Mon May 02, 2011 11:59 am

japes wrote:Anyone else buying ACL tickets tomorrow?


A few friends of mine said that there are always a ton of tickets to buy from resellers at about the same price a week or two before. That way you can buy for individual days once you know the lineups

12thman2011
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:55 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby 12thman2011 » Mon May 02, 2011 12:52 pm

"There are always a lot of fake tickets to buy the day before" would be a more accurate statement.

User avatar
japes
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 10:24 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby japes » Mon May 02, 2011 12:53 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
japes wrote:Anyone else buying ACL tickets tomorrow?


A few friends of mine said that there are always a ton of tickets to buy from resellers at about the same price a week or two before. That way you can buy for individual days once you know the lineups


This is true, though if you're getting 3-day passes (as I have for the past few years) it's probably easier to get them now. I just prefer not to deal with aftermarket tickets - especially when most people do digital print passes.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Leira7905 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:48 pm

japes wrote:Anyone else buying ACL tickets tomorrow?

I'm getting a three day pass...

onmytoes812
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby onmytoes812 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:03 pm

tag.

crit_racer
Posts: 756
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby crit_racer » Tue May 03, 2011 11:16 pm

onmytoes812 wrote:tag.


welcome!

User avatar
euphanator
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:05 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby euphanator » Wed May 04, 2011 12:01 am

Longtime lurker breaking my silence.

Hi future classmates.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Wed May 04, 2011 3:48 am

euphanator wrote:Longtime lurker breaking my silence.

Hi future classmates.


Halloo.

User avatar
Leira7905
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:42 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby Leira7905 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:03 pm

euphanator wrote:Longtime lurker breaking my silence.

Hi future classmates.


Welcome! :mrgreen:

onmytoes812
Posts: 75
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:03 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby onmytoes812 » Thu May 05, 2011 2:16 am

crit_racer wrote:
onmytoes812 wrote:tag.


welcome!

Thanks!!!


anyone still figuring out their living situation?

i'd rather have a roommate or two than live alone, since i know like 3 people in the Austin area.

i'm a girl, nonsmoker, no pets (but not opposed to one), pretty clean :)

not sure how many people are on this thread or if there's a better way to go about this, but i'm open to suggestions...

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby niederbomb » Thu May 05, 2011 10:01 am

I am thinking of taking graduate apartments because I live overseas and won't be able to visit/look for housing. Has anyone lived in these? Are they passable?

I honestly have no idea how to find a roommate long-distance. And even if I could, do normal people take a roommate and apartment sight unseen?

User avatar
niederbomb
Posts: 962
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:07 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby niederbomb » Thu May 05, 2011 10:02 am

onmytoes812 wrote:
crit_racer wrote:
onmytoes812 wrote:tag.


welcome!

Thanks!!!


anyone still figuring out their living situation?

i'd rather have a roommate or two than live alone, since i know like 3 people in the Austin area.

i'm a girl, nonsmoker, no pets (but not opposed to one), pretty clean :)

not sure how many people are on this thread or if there's a better way to go about this, but i'm open to suggestions...


+1 open to the same suggestions

turbotong
Posts: 181
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:53 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby turbotong » Fri May 06, 2011 1:33 am

For you people coming from overseas, here's an idea:
1. pick a hotel room. Move in there for 1-2 nights
2. In those two days, find an apartment guide agency or realtor, have them show u around, and pick a place to live.

Or, you can sometimes have them take photos of places and sign up for one. However, I would not trust places until you've seen them.

User avatar
bleedblue
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:39 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby bleedblue » Sun May 08, 2011 2:57 pm

Anyone moving to Austin from Minneapolis? If you are and want to talk about saving some money PM me.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby TheOcho » Wed May 18, 2011 9:44 pm

I'm still looking for apartments. Which neighborhoods are too far to consider? I've found some nice places that are reasonably priced in Northwest, but wouldn't consider it if it's a real trek. Any ideas? Gables and The Triangle seem close and really nice but I don't really wanna pay 1k+. Help appreciated.

granger
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby granger » Fri May 20, 2011 11:28 pm

Guys. Can somebody quell my fears? I just got a D in a general ed. (non-major requirement) class and I'm worried Texas might revoke my scholarship. Please tell me this doesn't happen.

kjo731
Posts: 10
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby kjo731 » Sun May 22, 2011 9:33 pm

TheOcho wrote:I'm still looking for apartments. Which neighborhoods are too far to consider? I've found some nice places that are reasonably priced in Northwest, but wouldn't consider it if it's a real trek. Any ideas? Gables and The Triangle seem close and really nice but I don't really wanna pay 1k+. Help appreciated.


Gables and the Triangle are the only big complexes in North Campus/Hyde Park. The rest of the neighborhood is full of old houses, renovated houses, and small apartment complexes. I live in a small complex right now and the rent is quite reasonable (my share is $675). The best thing to do is to visit austin and set up an appointment with an apartment locator. You won't have a parking garage or fancy security, but the rent is cheap. As far as the "how far" question goes, it depends on if you have a car, what kind of gas milage it gets and whether or not you want to pay a couple hundred dollars for a parking pass.

User avatar
lisjjen
Posts: 1242
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:19 am

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby lisjjen » Sun May 22, 2011 10:35 pm

What kind of photos are you guys submitting?

User avatar
IgnatiusJ
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:48 pm

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Postby IgnatiusJ » Sun May 22, 2011 10:48 pm

lisjjen wrote:What kind of photos are you guys submitting?


Brett Favre style. Or my senior class photo. Can't decide.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest