University of Texas Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
CMDantes

Bronze

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by CMDantes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:51 pm

Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I was deciding between UT and SMU pending my SMU scholarship. I just got it. SMU will cost my $50K total in tuition. UT would be $60k for me. See you in Austin.
Why would you ever go to SMU over Texas?

Burgstaller04

Silver

Post by Burgstaller04 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:56 pm

CMDantes wrote:
Burgstaller04 wrote:Well, I was deciding between UT and SMU pending my SMU scholarship. I just got it. SMU will cost my $50K total in tuition. UT would be $60k for me. See you in Austin.
Why would you ever go to SMU over Texas?
I want to practice in Dallas, and I was thinking that graduating with little to no debt (if I could get a full scholly) and not having to move for a summer gig in Dallas would be amazing

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:05 pm

How many people in here aren't from Texas? I'm looking at UT but haven't ever lived outside of Michigan. Any others never even been to texas before?

mfeller2

Bronze

Post by mfeller2 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:27 pm

bleedblue wrote:How many people in here aren't from Texas? I'm looking at UT but haven't ever lived outside of Michigan. Any others never even been to texas before?
I`m not from texas, but I`ve been there several times. I enjoyed San Antonio, Dallas was ehh, still haven`t been to Austin. Excited to go to see the city during asw, I heard 6th St. is awesome.

Anyone from Austin want to share their story of life in the city?

LawSchoolWannaBe

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolWannaBe » Sun Feb 13, 2011 10:16 pm

I'd never been to Texas before visiting for ASW a few years ago. From the Midwest. I'm staying post-graduation, by choice (had job offers elsewhere but I like it here, and in Texas generally).

The city is nice. A bit dirty, and a bit strip-mallish (like all of Texas), but I like it. Driving here blows. Too many people for the area and the people from Austin/central Texas suck at driving. Weather is good. Summer gets hot, but winter is pretty mild (they flip out about 20 degree weather, lol). Campus is also pretty nice. The law school is a walk from the undergrad area, but the union is a nice place to have lunch/check out the undergrads.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:49 am

DUDE 20 DEGREES IS HELLA COLD. ^$@(&!$@#$@
lol. Yea I'm from dallas, we average like an inch of snow a year maybe. its usually melted in 24 hours. That snow/ice during super bowl week was like a historical record.
It does hit 100+ consistently during the summer though. The worst part is when you have to get inside a black car without tinted windows...
Lol I met a guy from Michigan once. He came to do an internship at my company. It was springtime in Texas, and it hit like 65 degrees. He was like, "dude let's all go swimming" outside tomorrow, its so warm!" We all told him to wait till it hit 100.

kjo731

New

Post by kjo731 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:17 pm

mfeller2 wrote:
bleedblue wrote:How many people in here aren't from Texas? I'm looking at UT but haven't ever lived outside of Michigan. Any others never even been to texas before?
I`m not from texas, but I`ve been there several times. I enjoyed San Antonio, Dallas was ehh, still haven`t been to Austin. Excited to go to see the city during asw, I heard 6th St. is awesome.

Anyone from Austin want to share their story of life in the city?

I'm originally from Houston but I'm currently finishing up my undergrad degree at UT. I've been accepted into UT law for the fall and am seriously considering staying here. I've lived in Austin for 4 years now and I absolutely love it. Sure, the city's roads are still that of a town. I-35 was not designed for as many people as live here. Austinites drive like grandmas in the opinion of most Houston drivers, but it reflects the relaxed pace of the city.

Austin, in my opinion is best in this time of year. It's not too hot for long bike rides around Hyde Park and down to the capitol. When it gets a bit warmer, you can go play capture the flag on the capitol grounds at night. Pedernales Falls is great for camping. Hamilton Pool isn't too far out of town if you like hiking and swimming. In summer, the Greenbelt and Barton Springs are open. They're natural swimming holes in the middle of the city. From campus, it's about a 20 minute drive out to the hills to watch the sunset from Mount Bonnell.

Austin has a great music scene. We've got ACL in October, Fun Fun Fun Fest in November, SXSW during UT's spring break in March, Eeyore's birthday in April, etc. Great bands come through Austin year round.

Obviously, in law school we won't have time for a lot of these things, but they're great on weekends and during breaks. The area north of campus has a bunch of really awesome coffee shops. I spend a lot of time in them and frequently see law students with stacks of constitutional law books switching back and forth between coffee and beer. As far as quality of life goes, Austin is great. The only reason I'm considering leaving is that I want to experience a place that has seasons.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Thu Feb 17, 2011 9:02 pm

HEY GUYS!!
I'm was accepted, and probably going to go there. I might head down there for a campus visit this Sunday/Monday since I have Monday off for presidents' day. Anyone wana join me?
Post up and PM me if you want to meet !

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:21 pm

Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

texaskk

Bronze

Post by texaskk » Thu Feb 24, 2011 5:51 pm

awilson11 wrote:Posting this in all the UT forums I have tagged so sorry if you see it a few times...
Where is a good place to stay for the OMV on April 8? Should I stay near the law school or closer to 6th Street? I want to go out on 6th Street at night, definitely, and I don't know what I would do at the law school beyond Friday... Also, I would prefer it to be reasonably cheap. Any recommendations? Thanks!

As far as hotels, there are not many options around the campus area... They built a new building on the southwest corner (opposite from the law school, which is northeast corner) a year or 2 ago called the "AT&T Conference Center," which has hotel rooms in it but I'm not sure whether they're open to the general public (its where speakers stay when they come to conferences, etc. ) and the rooms are apparently pretty pricey...

Most of the hotels are in the downtown area, which is a few miles south from campus, and many of these are in close proximity to 6th/4th streets, which is where most of the bars are. Though they are also probably in the higher end as far as price goes, you'd be within walking/short taxi distance of any places you wanted to go out at night and there are frequent buses running between downtown/campus. If you are looking for a "budget" type hotel, you'll probably have to go a little further from the center of the city, which is mainly surrounded by residential areas, so you'll be closer to the suburbs by the time you'd get to any hotels outside of the downtown area. I wouldn't recommend staying way out there because the public transportation (capital metro bus system) isn't great outside of central Austin and you'd be pretty isolated.

Your best bet may be to use Priceline or something to try to get a good deal on a hotel somewhere in the area between MLK and Riverside (N/S) and Lamar and I-35 (W/E) ( hope that's clear, if I could draw a big square on here it would make more sense...)

kjo731

New

Post by kjo731 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:13 pm

Awilson11:

The AT&T Conference Center is open to the public but pretty expensive if you're not affiliated with the university, and specifically with the business school. It's primarily for alumni, speakers and the like. Transport to/from 6th street is pretty easy. There are tons of taxis, bicycle rickshaws and public buses known as night owls that run all over the city. Night owls are the buses in the 400s. Service routes are on http://www.capmetro.org. Don't bother driving to 6th street, even if you have a DD. There's no parking.

If you're brave, it's also possible to hitchhike down to 6th street, especially if you're coming from within 2 miles of campus. If you happen to find a place to stay near campus, say around 17th street or so, you can easily walk back to the hotel.

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:18 pm

kjo731 wrote:Awilson11:

The AT&T Conference Center is open to the public but pretty expensive if you're not affiliated with the university, and specifically with the business school. It's primarily for alumni, speakers and the like. Transport to/from 6th street is pretty easy. There are tons of taxis, bicycle rickshaws and public buses known as night owls that run all over the city. Night owls are the buses in the 400s. Service routes are on http://www.capmetro.org. Don't bother driving to 6th street, even if you have a DD. There's no parking.

If you're brave, it's also possible to hitchhike down to 6th street, especially if you're coming from within 2 miles of campus. If you happen to find a place to stay near campus, say around 17th street or so, you can easily walk back to the hotel.
Yea I looked into the conference center, wayyyy too expensive. I think I would rather stay downtown, close to 6th street and where I am going to be going out, since I am going to be there from Wed. to Sun. and the OMV is only Friday. I like the idea of staying around 17th street, since I think I am going to be going to a concert at the Frank Erwin Center, which is near that (on Google Maps)

pcthenls

Bronze

Post by pcthenls » Fri Feb 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Hi All and Congrats!

Texas is by far my top choice and I am so happy to have been accepted. The hard part is coming to terms with the fact that I didn't and probably won't receive any aid and I am out of state. I know a previous poster who attends UT said she/he would not have paid sticker. Anyone else considering paying sticker? Texas seems like one of a few schools I would actually feel more ok about paying full price. I am very VERY debt averse though. Maybe it's because my dad is a financial planner and has scared me to death about taking out so much in loans.

Austin is amazing though! I went to ACL festival in 2007 and fell in love! Saw Bob Dylan play on 6th street at Stubbs! Can't imagine a better place to end up even if I am studing too much to see any live music.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Earl Grey

New

Post by Earl Grey » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:05 pm

I was wondering how others found out that they got into UT for this fall. I got a phone call on Friday and I am waiting on my letter. For me, the financial offer is going to play a huge role because I am from out of state (California) and definitely cannot afford to pay out-of-state tuition.

kjo731

New

Post by kjo731 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Earl Grey wrote:I was wondering how others found out that they got into UT for this fall. I got a phone call on Friday and I am waiting on my letter. For me, the financial offer is going to play a huge role because I am from out of state (California) and definitely cannot afford to pay out-of-state tuition.
I got a call from the Dean, oddly enough it went straight to voicemail because I have terrible service on UT's campus. Notification about financial aid comes about a week or so after admission. One of the people in the financial aid office told me that the cut-off for the first round of merit scholarship offers was a 168 on the LSAT and something like a 3.5 GPA. UT does have an appeal for scholarships. If you get offers from other schools, you can send in an appeal with the copies of the original offer letters and UT will reconsider you for merit scholarships. At least that's the way I understand the process and that's the route that I intend to take.

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:58 pm

In at UT on Friday, OOS though and waiting on the scholarship offer. Currently live in the Midwest but have driven through Texas a couple times. If anyone could give some more insight into the city of Austin (never been) and the housing situation I would appreciate it.

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:45 pm

clearfire wrote:In at UT on Friday, OOS though and waiting on the scholarship offer. Currently live in the Midwest but have driven through Texas a couple times. If anyone could give some more insight into the city of Austin (never been) and the housing situation I would appreciate it.
Culturally it's a liberal oasis in the middle of a particularly red state. The nightlife and music scene are awesome. If you want a preview of the music scene, check out showlistaustin.com. There's lots of outdoorsy stuff to do - Zilker Park, the green belt, etc. If you run out of things to do, you are not trying hard enough. Trust me. If you'll be in town for ASW during spring break, catch a couple of shows or films at sxsw.

Housing is fairly cheap - the Hyde Park neighborhood just north of campus is in bike distance and you can probably find housing in the $500-600/person range. If you want to be closer there are a few complexes in North Campus for a bit more. A buddy of mine stays on 29th and San Jacinto and pays $1k plus bills for an efficiency, but he's right across the street from campus and right nextdoor to a bar. Just stay away from west campus - it's expensive and full of drunk undergrads.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clearfire

Bronze

Post by clearfire » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:58 am

Thanks japes, just trying to get a feel for it, hoping I get enough money to make it worth a serious consider..

rupret1

Bronze

Post by rupret1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:22 pm

A friend of mine recommended a hostel in Austin. It's on the south bank of ladybird lake just east of I-35. $20/night and my friend said it's clean and the people were nice. I'm not above staying at a hostel, but I'm not sure if this is going to be close enough to not be a burden getting to/from campus for ASD events. Anyone local have any insight?

Here's a link to the hostel's website. --LinkRemoved-- Seems like there's a bus stop pretty nearby. How late do these bus routes run?

jhw123

New

Post by jhw123 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:15 am

Hey,

Don't really have much to say other than I'm most likely attending UT next year. I love Austin and UT seems great; I look forward to meeting some of you guys in August and would be happy to talk Texas with anyone who feels the need. Why is this board so empty?

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:33 am

That's cuz there are at least 2 other UT threads....
I think the longest one is in the Acceptances -> UT (actually I think there are 2 UT threads there)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RxBandit26

New

Post by RxBandit26 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:15 pm

Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.

akili

Gold

Post by akili » Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:33 pm

RxBandit26 wrote:Does anyone know what it does, or does not, mean that there is no mention of a scholarship in my acceptance packet? I know schools often send scholarships separately, but I'm concerned that there is no mention of it in the packet.
Scholarship comes after.

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:20 am

w00t1!!!
You guys hear?? UT made it to the top14!!!

Jdazz87

New

Post by Jdazz87 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:00 am

pcthenls wrote:Hi All and Congrats!

Texas is by far my top choice and I am so happy to have been accepted. The hard part is coming to terms with the fact that I didn't and probably won't receive any aid and I am out of state. I know a previous poster who attends UT said she/he would not have paid sticker. Anyone else considering paying sticker? Texas seems like one of a few schools I would actually feel more ok about paying full price. I am very VERY debt averse though. Maybe it's because my dad is a financial planner and has scared me to death about taking out so much in loans.

Austin is amazing though! I went to ACL festival in 2007 and fell in love! Saw Bob Dylan play on 6th street at Stubbs! Can't imagine a better place to end up even if I am studing too much to see any live music.
I'm in the same boat...

I'm highly considering paying sticker, unless by some act of God Emory offers full tuition or something to make up for drop to #30...I'm not highly debt averse, but would say I am to a certain extent. But you do what you have to, I guess. I'm too vain and would rather take however many years to pay off UT debt than go to a #30-50 school. To each his own.

Seems like the biggest aversion people have to Austin is the traffic, but having lived in LA for 4 years of undergrad and Orange County (read: not much better) the other 19, I think Austin will be a nice break.

All in all, I'll most likely be seeing you guys next year. Let the fun begin!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”