University of Texas Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Re: University of Texas Class of 2014

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:42 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:I just had a great trip out to Austin/UT. I was really blown away by how happy and friendly all the students were, and, of course, the amazingness that is Austin. Not to mention, meeting with Dean Sager allayed a lot of my concerns about picking UT over some higher-ranked schools. The only thing that could sway me away from UT at this point would be an acceptance at Stanford, but, barring that, I think I'll be seeing y'all in the fall! (Texan slang and rhyming all in one sentence, wooo!)
Awesome! Lookin at your school list in your profile (not to sound like a creeper), I'm guessing you went to Zona. I wonder if we know each other...

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:00 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
juliachild-ish wrote:I just had a great trip out to Austin/UT. I was really blown away by how happy and friendly all the students were, and, of course, the amazingness that is Austin. Not to mention, meeting with Dean Sager allayed a lot of my concerns about picking UT over some higher-ranked schools. The only thing that could sway me away from UT at this point would be an acceptance at Stanford, but, barring that, I think I'll be seeing y'all in the fall! (Texan slang and rhyming all in one sentence, wooo!)
Awesome! Lookin at your school list in your profile (not to sound like a creeper), I'm guessing you went to Zona. I wonder if we know each other...
Haha, I am from AZ, but went to UG way on the other side of the country. I do, however, know a lot of people from back home who went to both UofA and ASU (and a few to NAU, those weirdos).

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:27 pm

juliachild-ish wrote:
nonprofit-prophet wrote:
Haha, I am from AZ, but went to UG way on the other side of the country. I do, however, know a lot of people from back home who went to both UofA and ASU (and a few to NAU, those weirdos).
ahh, well nevermind then. Totally just outed myself ::waves hello do Dean Sager::

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:00 pm

Looks like I'll be joining ya'll in the fall (assuming Michigan, Duke, or Cornell don't pull me off the WL). Can't wait!

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm

TheOcho wrote:Looks like I'll be joining ya'll in the fall (assuming Michigan, Duke, or Cornell don't pull me off the WL). Can't wait!
We're #4! We're #4! :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:07 am

Leira7905 wrote:We're #4! We're #4!
Haha, if it's any consolation, you all seem really cool.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:40 am

TheOcho wrote:Looks like I'll be joining ya'll in the fall (assuming Michigan, Duke, or Cornell don't pull me off the WL). Can't wait!
Duke and Cornell aren't worth it. Maybe Michigan...but its cold in AA

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:05 pm

bleedblue wrote:Duke and Cornell aren't worth it. Maybe Michigan...but its cold in AA
I could see Cornell not being a superior replacement to Texas, but Duke and only a maybe for Michigan? And I'm not sure if it's my self-destructive personality or what, but I kind of enjoy a little winter. Plus, I've experienced some incredibly awful winters.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Thu Apr 07, 2011 11:51 pm

TheOcho wrote:
bleedblue wrote:Duke and Cornell aren't worth it. Maybe Michigan...but its cold in AA
I could see Cornell not being a superior replacement to Texas, but Duke and only a maybe for Michigan? And I'm not sure if it's my self-destructive personality or what, but I kind of enjoy a little winter. Plus, I've experienced some incredibly awful winters.
I'm sour on winters from this particular one. But I've turned down good money from a number of t-14 for Texas. But I'm personally looking for a big city and have a SO who needs a job, making Michigan not a reasonable option. But I haven't totally ruled Michigan out yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Fri Apr 08, 2011 1:26 am

bleedblue wrote:I'm sour on winters from this particular one. But I've turned down good money from a number of t-14 for Texas. But I'm personally looking for a big city and have a SO who needs a job, making Michigan not a reasonable option. But I haven't totally ruled Michigan out yet.
I'm going to go ahead an assume UT is giving you a pretty decent scholarship? Even if I get in at one of the aforementioned schools, I'm not sure I can justify it at sticker. Texas is giving me a pretty sweet deal and the placement isn't something to scoff at. Either way, I'll be pleased. I just think some of the other environments might suit me better.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:15 pm

TheOcho wrote:
bleedblue wrote:I'm sour on winters from this particular one. But I've turned down good money from a number of t-14 for Texas. But I'm personally looking for a big city and have a SO who needs a job, making Michigan not a reasonable option. But I haven't totally ruled Michigan out yet.
I'm going to go ahead an assume UT is giving you a pretty decent scholarship? Even if I get in at one of the aforementioned schools, I'm not sure I can justify it at sticker. Texas is giving me a pretty sweet deal and the placement isn't something to scoff at. Either way, I'll be pleased. I just think some of the other environments might suit me better.
Yeah I have a hefty deal at UT. It would put me at about 50k less of debt off the bat and about 70k after 3 years of interest buildup. I'm quite debt averse and think that if I'm going for big law and don't care where I work, Texas will be a great deal for me. Plus I love Ann Arbor now and Austin is just like AA times 10.

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Are you at Michigan now? If so, I hope you're watching the game tonight.

bleedblue

Bronze

Post by bleedblue » Sat Apr 09, 2011 5:12 pm

TheOcho wrote:Are you at Michigan now? If so, I hope you're watching the game tonight.
I am and I am. I almost went, my girlfriend lives in MN and her house is about 1.5 miles from the Excel Center. But too much to do sadly. Go blue!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:51 pm

Did anyone else get their financial aid award yet? I'm pretty sure mine is at least 15k more than what I'll need. Anyone else have similar results?

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Wed Apr 13, 2011 8:39 am

TheOcho wrote:Did anyone else get their financial aid award yet? I'm pretty sure mine is at least 15k more than what I'll need. Anyone else have similar results?
If you get a small scholarship, does that reduce the amount you can take it in loans? I'm a bit worried that my financial aid award will make it difficult to buy groceries.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:15 am

nonprofit-prophet wrote:
TheOcho wrote:Did anyone else get their financial aid award yet? I'm pretty sure mine is at least 15k more than what I'll need. Anyone else have similar results?
If you get a small scholarship, does that reduce the amount you can take it in loans? I'm a bit worried that my financial aid award will make it difficult to buy groceries.
This is how financial aid looked for me with my small scholly: They took the total cost of attendance for the year as listed here http://www.utexas.edu/law/finaid/costs/ which is 47,712 for in state. This includes tuition PLUS room, board, supplies, and transportation. Then they subtracted my small scholly ($7000/yr) to equal 40,712. Then they took out whatever the expected family contribution would be. In my case, that amount is $0.00 because I'm a single mom. Then, they divided that amount by two and came up with this amount per semester that I would need: $20356. The financial aid package included subsidized, unsubsidized, and grad plus loans to cover the full amount for each semester should I choose to accept all the loans. I'm assuming that if any grant $$ is released by the school (which may or may not happen), then those qualifying for need-based aid would get that money in lieu of some of the loan money.

I'm sure someone will let me know if I'm wrong on any of that. :wink:

japes

Bronze

Post by japes » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:18 pm

I'll be putting down my seat deposit tomorrow! Excited to see y'all this fall.

Those of you already in Austin, we should meet up for drinks? I'm in atx most weekends. Shoot me a pm.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:19 pm

I got an out of state tuition waiver and a 10k/yr dean's scholarship and they still were estimating 30k/semester in loans. That seems excessive to me. Am I missing something? I don't think I'll need near that.

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:21 pm

TheOcho wrote:I got an out of state tuition waiver and a 10k/yr dean's scholarship and they still were estimating 30k/semester in loans. That seems excessive to me. Am I missing something? I don't think I'll need near that.
That DOES sound strange...... especially since their own website says that you CAN'T borrow more than their estimated budget allows.... could it be an error of some sort?

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:30 pm

juliachild-ish

Bronze

Post by juliachild-ish » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:52 am

Leira7905 wrote:
TheOcho wrote:I got an out of state tuition waiver and a 10k/yr dean's scholarship and they still were estimating 30k/semester in loans. That seems excessive to me. Am I missing something? I don't think I'll need near that.
That DOES sound strange...... especially since their own website says that you CAN'T borrow more than their estimated budget allows.... could it be an error of some sort?
Yeah, something's funky about my budget too. I got a full ride and they're saying I need to take out about $20,000 a semester in loans, unless I'm reading it totally wrong. I'm going to give them a call in a few days to try and sort it out.

Put down my deposit though! How exciting!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

turbotong

Bronze

Post by turbotong » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:22 am

Hey,

Does anyone who went to ASD remember the names of the 2 recent faculty members that the dean hired from the group of "musketeers" that he wanted?

TheOcho

Bronze

Post by TheOcho » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:25 am

Leira7905 wrote:
That's a good question. I'm going to total what I think I'll need for the semester when I find an apartment (hopefully soon) and just decline anything over that. Maybe it has something to do with having an EFC of zero on the FAFSA?

I thought it was particularly strange to have such high loan amounts considering they are in some state of ambiguity with the state budget, are they not?

Leira7905

Bronze

Post by Leira7905 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:29 pm

TheOcho wrote:
Leira7905 wrote:
That's a good question. I'm going to total what I think I'll need for the semester when I find an apartment (hopefully soon) and just decline anything over that. Maybe it has something to do with having an EFC of zero on the FAFSA?

I thought it was particularly strange to have such high loan amounts considering they are in some state of ambiguity with the state budget, are they not?
I have an EFC of zero as well, and the loan amounts they offered me were the cost of attendance minus scholly... That's all you're allowed to borrow. Cost of attendance for in-state is 47,712. (See my post above). I think something is wacky with your financial aid if they've given you in-state tuition, plus schollys, and your loans total more than the difference between that and the cost of attendance. I would double check with them to make sure there wasn't some sort of error.

Edit: Are you getting in-state tuition? If your paying OOS tuition, then the extra loan money would make sense..

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 1:43 pm

turbotong wrote:Hey,

Does anyone who went to ASD remember the names of the 2 recent faculty members that the dean hired from the group of "musketeers" that he wanted?
At the OMV he didn't give their names, only that they are from Northwestern.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”