Columbia Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby mel2010 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 1:33 pm

agora139 wrote:hi guys! i was admitted about a week ago, and i'm wondering if/when i can expect to hear about financial/merit aid (or lack thereof). if i havent heard anything, is it a terrible idea to email in other offers?


In my opinion, you should email your other offers now and notify them of any deadlines. As far as timing, you should be getting the letter somewhat soon since they want to notify people before the May deadline. If they have already completed your award and mailed it out, you can call and they'll offer to email it usually.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:23 pm

How many of you guys are in the Class of 2014 facebook group? Do we need our own group? We could call it something like TLS @ CLS.

User avatar
misterbingley
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby misterbingley » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:24 pm

i would venture that those of us who spend enough time on the internet to be part of TLS also spend enough time on facebook to be part of the general columbia class of 2014 group

i could be wrong though

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:39 am

misterbingley wrote:i would venture that those of us who spend enough time on the internet to be part of TLS also spend enough time on facebook to be part of the general columbia class of 2014 group

i could be wrong though

I spend very little, to no time on facebook. Yet somehow I've managed to amass close to 4000 posts on this site. Go figure.

User avatar
misterbingley
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:15 am

CastleRock wrote:
misterbingley wrote:i would venture that those of us who spend enough time on the internet to be part of TLS and would join a TLS@CLS fb group also spend enough time on facebook to be part of the general columbia class of 2014 group

i could be wrong though

I spend very little, to no time on facebook. Yet somehow I've managed to amass close to 4000 posts on this site. Go figure.


i guess i should clarify.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:21 am

misterbingley wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
misterbingley wrote:i would venture that those of us who spend enough time on the internet to be part of TLS and would join a TLS@CLS fb group also spend enough time on facebook to be part of the general columbia class of 2014 group

i could be wrong though

I spend very little, to no time on facebook. Yet somehow I've managed to amass close to 4000 posts on this site. Go figure.


i guess i should clarify.

I'm just tormenting you. I have nothing better to do while waiting for hls to break my heart.

User avatar
miamiman09
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby miamiman09 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:21 pm

misterbingley wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:Just got the FinAid offer from CLS in the mail... $25k over the course of 3 years. *sigh* I know I shouldn't complain because it's something but I was really hoping for something a bit more substantial than THAT. Perhaps they meant to say $25k/year. :?

Maybe NYU will offer something more significant that will draw a bit more out of CLS...


Yeah, I still haven't gotten my NYU offer when everyone else is talking about deadlines! geez


Just got the NYU offer by email today. $25k for each of the first 2 years and then $12,500 in the third. However, if I work in public interest during my second summer then they keep it at $25k for the third year as well. Assuming I pursue the PI route as I currently plan to do, that comes out to $50k more than CLS is offering.

Already sent an email to the CLS FinAid office asking if they'll increase the amount they're offering. It would be great to have an answer back in the next 10 days. Begin holding my breath.... now.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:02 pm

miamiman09 wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:Just got the FinAid offer from CLS in the mail... $25k over the course of 3 years. *sigh* I know I shouldn't complain because it's something but I was really hoping for something a bit more substantial than THAT. Perhaps they meant to say $25k/year. :?

Maybe NYU will offer something more significant that will draw a bit more out of CLS...


Yeah, I still haven't gotten my NYU offer when everyone else is talking about deadlines! geez


Just got the NYU offer by email today. $25k for each of the first 2 years and then $12,500 in the third. However, if I work in public interest during my second summer then they keep it at $25k for the third year as well. Assuming I pursue the PI route as I currently plan to do, that comes out to $50k more than CLS is offering.

Already sent an email to the CLS FinAid office asking if they'll increase the amount they're offering. It would be great to have an answer back in the next 10 days. Begin holding my breath.... now.
Sounds like they gave you the scholarship that I let expire.

User avatar
misterbingley
Posts: 213
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:00 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby misterbingley » Wed Apr 20, 2011 5:15 pm

miamiman09 wrote:
misterbingley wrote:
miamiman09 wrote:Just got the FinAid offer from CLS in the mail... $25k over the course of 3 years. *sigh* I know I shouldn't complain because it's something but I was really hoping for something a bit more substantial than THAT. Perhaps they meant to say $25k/year. :?

Maybe NYU will offer something more significant that will draw a bit more out of CLS...


Yeah, I still haven't gotten my NYU offer when everyone else is talking about deadlines! geez


Just got the NYU offer by email today. $25k for each of the first 2 years and then $12,500 in the third. However, if I work in public interest during my second summer then they keep it at $25k for the third year as well. Assuming I pursue the PI route as I currently plan to do, that comes out to $50k more than CLS is offering.

Already sent an email to the CLS FinAid office asking if they'll increase the amount they're offering. It would be great to have an answer back in the next 10 days. Begin holding my breath.... now.


I got my nyu offer today too. cls gave me more so i'm sticking with them. good luck though!

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hellome » Wed Apr 20, 2011 9:53 pm

this may be a silly question but
when we enroll online, can we pay the deposit by credit card?
i'm abroad and transferring money costs money :roll:

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:04 pm

hellome wrote:this may be a silly question but
when we enroll online, can we pay the deposit by credit card?
i'm abroad and transferring money costs money :roll:
Yes, you can use a credit card.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hellome » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:21 pm

redsoxfan2495 wrote:
hellome wrote:this may be a silly question but
when we enroll online, can we pay the deposit by credit card?
i'm abroad and transferring money costs money :roll:
Yes, you can use a credit card.


Sweet, thank you :D

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Just deposited, see you all in August. :D

That was one hell of a tough decision. Choices between good options are just as tough as choices between bad ones. I think I hovered over the submit button for ten minutes before clicking. It feels good to make it official though.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby cardinals1989 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:50 pm

Very likely I will be depositing here early next week. What is Columbia's policy on riding WL's again?

User avatar
mel2010
Posts: 271
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby mel2010 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:54 am

cardinals1989 wrote:Very likely I will be depositing here early next week. What is Columbia's policy on riding WL's again?

CLS website wrote:We recognize that choosing a law school can sometimes be overwhelming; however, out of consideration for and fairness to the rest of our applicant pool, we cannot support the practice of placing deposits at multiple law schools. Therefore, if you decide to hold a place at Columbia, we ask that you refrain from doing the same at other law schools. Should we discover that a candidate has made commitments to multiple law schools, Columbia reserves the right to revoke our offer of admission.

To me that means as long as you are not depositing elsewhere (e.g. just riding the WL) you're fine.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hellome » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:45 am

mel2010 wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:Very likely I will be depositing here early next week. What is Columbia's policy on riding WL's again?

CLS website wrote:We recognize that choosing a law school can sometimes be overwhelming; however, out of consideration for and fairness to the rest of our applicant pool, we cannot support the practice of placing deposits at multiple law schools. Therefore, if you decide to hold a place at Columbia, we ask that you refrain from doing the same at other law schools. Should we discover that a candidate has made commitments to multiple law schools, Columbia reserves the right to revoke our offer of admission.

To me that means as long as you are not depositing elsewhere (e.g. just riding the WL) you're fine.


+1
I actually called and asked - schools that haven't given us a decision and WLs are fine.

User avatar
cardinals1989
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sat Jun 19, 2010 1:04 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby cardinals1989 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:53 am

hellome wrote:
+1
I actually called and asked - schools that haven't given us a decision and WLs are fine.


Nice. Thanks for that info-really helpful!

User avatar
miamiman09
Posts: 72
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:11 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby miamiman09 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:32 am

Can anyone who has tried to negotiate aid with CLS this year give me an idea of how long it took to get back a response (positive or negative)? Particularly if you sent in a competing offer after receiving the initial CLS offer. Post or PM would be greatly appreciated!!!

jman77
Posts: 510
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:33 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby jman77 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:11 am

miamiman09 wrote:Can anyone who has tried to negotiate aid with CLS this year give me an idea of how long it took to get back a response (positive or negative)? Particularly if you sent in a competing offer after receiving the initial CLS offer. Post or PM would be greatly appreciated!!!


3 days in my case...

champsound
Posts: 342
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby champsound » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:14 pm

Deposited. Boom. Cycle over. See you in August.

Signing off of TLS for good now. You can still PM me about stuff and I will still be peaking around any Harvard waitlist news.

User avatar
BrightLine
Posts: 259
Joined: Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:15 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby BrightLine » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Deposited!

See you in August 8)

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kwais » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:44 am

Deposited!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What a long strange trip it's been. See you in August

bendurnotes4me
Posts: 77
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:36 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bendurnotes4me » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:55 am

nice grateful dead reference

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kwais » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:00 pm

bendurnotes4me wrote:nice grateful dead reference


thanks. Hoping there will be others at CLS whose musical taste extend beyond Lil Wayne and Katy Perry.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:32 pm

Deposited!




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest