Columbia Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:48 pm

Ship87 wrote:Just paid my deposit the other day; when will we be able to register a CLS email?? When do we get a CUID or whatever we need?


You can find your CUID on your acceptance letter and Financial Aid letter (I believe this is what you're referring to)

Has anyone else sent in their housing app?

User avatar
Ship87
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri May 21, 2010 9:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby Ship87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah I have that # but I can't register an email with it, I need some other number

EDIT: I need a UNI. Where/how/when do we get one?

kiniru
Posts: 37
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 8:24 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kiniru » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 pm

you have to look up your uni by searching for your name through the website they give you

the uni is like your initials and some random number combination... it's your new email address.

I thought their email system looked pretty old/clunky but it might've been coz of the shitty computer I was on at the time haha

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:04 pm

kiniru wrote:you have to look up your uni by searching for your name through the website they give you

the uni is like your initials and some random number combination... it's your new email address.

I thought their email system looked pretty old/clunky but it might've been coz of the shitty computer I was on at the time haha


I really hope they have some way to forward emails. I remember my undergrad let you bypass their email system altogether to send it to your personal account.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kwais » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:56 pm

viking138 wrote:
kwais wrote:
lastch2 wrote:hey guys! just checking in, decided i'm definitely coming to columbia in the fall :D planning on living at the arbor, anyone else??


I am interested because the price is right, but I keep hearing that the commute sucks. What are your thoughts?


Hi guys, I lived there for fall term and half of winter term. The apartments are very nice, the maintenance and front desk guys are very helpful and friendly, but the commute does suck. Someone said somewhere that they had a friend who had issues getting to campus for class -- should not be a problem if you plan ahead, but that means being outside waiting for the shuttle (which is actually a large van with one door) about 5 minutes before its stated leaving time. You also want to plan to take the shuttle at least 40 minutes before classes start because it can take up to 30 minutes if there is traffic on the Henry Hudson Parkway or if someone wants to go to the medical center (there are quite a few med students at the Arbor).

The shuttle drivers are nice enough but OMG most of them drive TERRIBLY. Seriously, there were so many near-accidents, people wrote letters quite often but I do not think Columbia has any plans to get new drivers or anything. It's really bumpy and it's 14 people scrunched into a van.

The shuttle runs infrequently in the evenings (more like once an hour) and stops at 10:45, so it's quite packed throughout the evening. You have to walk a mile to get to the subway and it's in a much less nice area (Bronx rather than Riverdale). The shuttle runs once an hour on Saturdays and stops at 7:30pm, and it doesn't run at all on Sundays. Also, in bad weather, there can be issues getting to class because all the vans are in NJ and they have to get across the GW bridge so if it's closed, the shuttle might not run.

I loved my apartment itself, but the shuttle and commute got to be too much, especially for my boyfriend who was working in midtown, so we moved to the Upper West Side (not Columbia housing) when he got a raise in January. Very happy with our decision, even though the rent is higher.

Final note, I cook a lot so this wasn't an issue for me, but if you plan on getting take out very often, the options around the Arbor are pretty much terrible and are expensive (it's a very old community, tons of rest homes up there). It wasn't an issue for most of the term but come finals when I cooked less it was a bit annoying.

Wow, that's a lot, sorry! Just some stuff I wish I had known before I moved there, though.


thanks so much for the response. I keep asking and keep getting answers very similar to this. Seems to be the consensus. Is it fair to say that grocery shopping is better in Riverdale than in Morningside?

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hoping » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:08 pm

hey..has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships?! I have not hear a/t from them abt $.. should I let them know abt my nyu offer?? if so who do i email?!

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bhan87 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:16 pm

hoping wrote:hey..has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships?! I have not hear a/t from them abt $.. should I let them know abt my nyu offer?? if so who do i email?!


Email the office of financial aid with copies of your award letters. I was able to get a matched / raised offer from a NYU schollie

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hoping » Sun Apr 10, 2011 10:18 pm

bhan87 wrote:
hoping wrote:hey..has anyone had any luck negotiating scholarships?! I have not hear a/t from them abt $.. should I let them know abt my nyu offer?? if so who do i email?!


Email the office of financial aid with copies of your award letters. I was able to get a matched / raised offer from a NYU schollie

lol i just pm'ed you! did you send your nyu offer before you received anything form cls? and would you mind pm'ing me the letter you sent cls about nyu's offer?!

User avatar
vertex
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:22 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby vertex » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:39 am

bhan87 wrote:
kiniru wrote:you have to look up your uni by searching for your name through the website they give you

the uni is like your initials and some random number combination... it's your new email address.

I thought their email system looked pretty old/clunky but it might've been coz of the shitty computer I was on at the time haha


I really hope they have some way to forward emails. I remember my undergrad let you bypass their email system altogether to send it to your personal account.


They do. I enrolled a while ago and got my Columbia email address and just set it to forward to my gmail.

viking138
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby viking138 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:14 am

kwais wrote:
viking138 wrote:
kwais wrote:
lastch2 wrote:hey guys! just checking in, decided i'm definitely coming to columbia in the fall :D planning on living at the arbor, anyone else??


I am interested because the price is right, but I keep hearing that the commute sucks. What are your thoughts?


Hi guys, I lived there for fall term and half of winter term. The apartments are very nice, the maintenance and front desk guys are very helpful and friendly, but the commute does suck. Someone said somewhere that they had a friend who had issues getting to campus for class -- should not be a problem if you plan ahead, but that means being outside waiting for the shuttle (which is actually a large van with one door) about 5 minutes before its stated leaving time. You also want to plan to take the shuttle at least 40 minutes before classes start because it can take up to 30 minutes if there is traffic on the Henry Hudson Parkway or if someone wants to go to the medical center (there are quite a few med students at the Arbor).

The shuttle drivers are nice enough but OMG most of them drive TERRIBLY. Seriously, there were so many near-accidents, people wrote letters quite often but I do not think Columbia has any plans to get new drivers or anything. It's really bumpy and it's 14 people scrunched into a van.

The shuttle runs infrequently in the evenings (more like once an hour) and stops at 10:45, so it's quite packed throughout the evening. You have to walk a mile to get to the subway and it's in a much less nice area (Bronx rather than Riverdale). The shuttle runs once an hour on Saturdays and stops at 7:30pm, and it doesn't run at all on Sundays. Also, in bad weather, there can be issues getting to class because all the vans are in NJ and they have to get across the GW bridge so if it's closed, the shuttle might not run.

I loved my apartment itself, but the shuttle and commute got to be too much, especially for my boyfriend who was working in midtown, so we moved to the Upper West Side (not Columbia housing) when he got a raise in January. Very happy with our decision, even though the rent is higher.

Final note, I cook a lot so this wasn't an issue for me, but if you plan on getting take out very often, the options around the Arbor are pretty much terrible and are expensive (it's a very old community, tons of rest homes up there). It wasn't an issue for most of the term but come finals when I cooked less it was a bit annoying.

Wow, that's a lot, sorry! Just some stuff I wish I had known before I moved there, though.


thanks so much for the response. I keep asking and keep getting answers very similar to this. Seems to be the consensus. Is it fair to say that grocery shopping is better in Riverdale than in Morningside?



Nope, I wouldn't say so. The Key Foods is the only grocery store within feasible walking distance (there's a stop and shop somewhere but it's about a mile away I think, only going to work if you have a car). I bought a lot of products that ended up being past their expiration date (I'd never had to look at that before so wasn't paying attention when I first moved there). I ended up using FreshDirect mainly, which has a flat $5.99 delivery fee and, honestly, its produce is SO much better than the Key Food that I never really went to Key Food after the first few months. Prices are comparable, too.

Something I didn't mention before is that it can be hard having friends over, too, since the shuttle drivers are not supposed to let non-residents on board without a resident accompanying them, so getting friends to and from the Arbor is difficult.

The apartments--and kitchens in particular--really are quite nice. I'm just not sure it's worth it given the commute and location, especially if you have a significant other who is commuting below Columbia (my BF ended up commuting about 2 hours a day to get to midtown).

hoping
Posts: 155
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:53 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hoping » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:15 pm

if there was no mention of merit aid in an acceptance package..does that mean that i am not eligible for any aid?

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:06 pm

No, I got my package later.

User avatar
hellome
Posts: 237
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 8:41 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hellome » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:14 pm

i just got my dinky financial aid offer...
but since i'm desperate, i'll take it!

after we tell Columbia that we'll take the money, i'm guessing i have to w/draw from other schools?
what about those schools that haven't given us a decision yet?

thanks in advance!

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 pm

What should I know about looking for apartments near cls? For instance, is Harlem really as bad as it's reputation?

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:07 am

Do the housing app

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:28 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Do the housing app

I don't know that I want to. It's pricey, and to be honest, I'm not all that interested in living with 2 or 3 other people.

bhan87
Posts: 850
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:08 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bhan87 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:22 am

CastleRock wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Do the housing app

I don't know that I want to. It's pricey, and to be honest, I'm not all that interested in living with 2 or 3 other people.


Good luck finding a cheap studio that isn't in the middle of cracktown.

Btw, the prices Columbia charges is cheaper than most of the places in the direct vicinity.

WestOfTheRest
Posts: 1412
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:10 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby WestOfTheRest » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:24 am

bhan87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Do the housing app

I don't know that I want to. It's pricey, and to be honest, I'm not all that interested in living with 2 or 3 other people.


Good luck finding a cheap studio that isn't in the middle of cracktown.

Btw, the prices Columbia charges is cheaper than most of the places in the direct vicinity.

Cheap is obviously a relative term. I've actually found a place that looks alright, but I'm not 100% on the area, although I doubt it's that bad.

chasgoose
Posts: 715
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby chasgoose » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:54 am

CastleRock wrote:
bhan87 wrote:
CastleRock wrote:
Non-Chalant1 wrote:Do the housing app

I don't know that I want to. It's pricey, and to be honest, I'm not all that interested in living with 2 or 3 other people.


Good luck finding a cheap studio that isn't in the middle of cracktown.

Btw, the prices Columbia charges is cheaper than most of the places in the direct vicinity.

Cheap is obviously a relative term. I've actually found a place that looks alright, but I'm not 100% on the area, although I doubt it's that bad.


Well one annoying thing about Harlem is that below 125th St. There is actually a not insignificant vertical distance between Harlem and Columbia (aka Columbia is on a cliff of sorts overlooking Morningside Park). Living in Harlem seems like it would end up being a giant PITA every day even if it's technically close.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:20 am

I'm in! See you all next year :D!

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kwais » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:50 pm

Hey guys, when is that first deposit deadline?
Also, the NYU thread is already gearing up for the Dean's Cup basketball game. We have to keep pace.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:26 pm

Yeah I was the one who started the deans cup stuff.

User avatar
redsoxfan2495
Posts: 273
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:13 am

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:44 pm

I wonder if either school would be tempted to admit a borderline applicant if they had D1 basketball on their resume.

User avatar
kwais
Posts: 1683
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby kwais » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

Non-Chalant1 wrote:Yeah I was the one who started the deans cup stuff.


so what team are you on? (funny way to ask which law school you will attend?)

User avatar
hiddenfist
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby hiddenfist » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:28 pm

I called the financial aid office today every hour on the hour from 9-5.

Nothing.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest