Columbia Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
mcweanis

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby mcweanis » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:07 pm

absolutely zero.
Last edited by mcweanis on Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

amorfati

Postby amorfati » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:38 pm

LinzerTorte wrote:
delusional wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
delusional wrote:Were you the girl with TLS on her Blackberry?

That could POSSIBLY have been me? I had it open for a quick second.

Top right side of the lecture room?

ETA: There's really no need for two simultaneous conversations by the same people about the same thing, except in different topics.

PS ETA: Maaaaan all you guys are young.

Don't know when you graduated, but I found one 04 and I was one of the only 08s that I saw at the whole thing.

I'm an '08 and I was there! Actually, I felt like there were a fair number of '08s... though I was somewhat surprised at the number of very young looking prospectives (especially '11s). No offense to them, of course, just not what I was anticipating!

So did many of you open up about being a TLS addict? I'll admit I did to a few people, though not that many. Moxiepostulate and I did have some good chats though! But other than that I don't feel like I really met any TLSers...

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 am

mcweanis wrote:i thought our prof (dubler) seemed pretty cool but the whole theme of the class was waaay simplistic and dumbed down even for a 0L. like, WHOA, its hard to legally define a family! shocking!

I was in that one too. I was the one who said that the unmarried couple could get married to resolve their situation in the Hann case.
And yeah I thought it was kind of simplistic but was hoping that's just her teaching style.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:40 am

LinzerTorte wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:So what did you guys think of your mock classes?

My professor (Burnett, Chinese Exclusion Acts) was definitely dialing it up to 11 for the occasion, but I was pretty entertained.

I was in Burnett's. Really loved it. Actually, I loved all of the professors that I saw and listened to except for the 1st Amendment class I sat in on for Thursday. That was boring as all hell. But man, Burnett could put on a show.

bistduverrueckt

Postby bistduverrueckt » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:22 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

My professor (Burnett, Chinese Exclusion Acts) was definitely dialing it up to 11 for the occasion, but I was pretty entertained.

I was in Burnett's. Really loved it. Actually, I loved all of the professors that I saw and listened to except for the 1st Amendment class I sat in on for Thursday. That was boring as all hell. But man, Burnett could put on a show.

I guess she didn't tone it down like the guy you were sitting near at lunch said she might? I'm excited to maybe have her next year.

cardinals1989

Postby cardinals1989 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:28 am

bistduverrueckt wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

I guess she didn't tone it down like the guy you were sitting near at lunch said she might? I'm excited to maybe have her next year.

No, she did not tone it down at all. She went all out. And I would love to have her as a professor, especially because I am fascinated by con law and legal history, which are her specialties.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 9:09 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:

No, she did not tone it down at all. She went all out. And I would love to have her as a professor, especially because I am fascinated by con law and legal history, which are her specialties.

I have Burnett. She was not putting on a show, that's just her -- and she's AMAZING. My favorite class by far, even in its hour (2:50-4:10pm = kiss of death). I've never even felt sleepy in her class, though. Con Law can be incredibly dry and boring but she makes it very entertaining. <3 her.

LinzerTorte

Postby LinzerTorte » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:06 am

amorfati wrote:
LinzerTorte wrote:
delusional wrote:
bistduverrueckt wrote:That could POSSIBLY have been me? I had it open for a quick second.

Top right side of the lecture room?

ETA: There's really no need for two simultaneous conversations by the same people about the same thing, except in different topics.

PS ETA: Maaaaan all you guys are young.

Don't know when you graduated, but I found one 04 and I was one of the only 08s that I saw at the whole thing.

I'm an '08 and I was there! Actually, I felt like there were a fair number of '08s... though I was somewhat surprised at the number of very young looking prospectives (especially '11s). No offense to them, of course, just not what I was anticipating!

So did many of you open up about being a TLS addict? I'll admit I did to a few people, though not that many. Moxiepostulate and I did have some good chats though! But other than that I don't feel like I really met any TLSers...

StarryDreamz and I hung out just about the entire time, and that only happened because I was pretty drunk Thursday night and I asked her directly. There were some others who I thought might have been TLSers based on some biographical stuff but I wasn't sure and didn't want to ask in the harsh light of day!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:12 am

LinzerTorte wrote:StarryDreamz and I hung out just about the entire time, and that only happened because I was pretty drunk Thursday night and I asked her directly. There were some others who I thought might have been TLSers based on some biographical stuff but I wasn't sure and didn't want to ask in the harsh light of day!

Linzer it was awesome hanging out with you!

AND TWIN??? We were in the same class? 170 3.96 need to represent more.

Anyway I was thoroughly impressed and very sad that I'm deferring and won't be classmates with all the very cool people I met.

Verisimi

Postby Verisimi » Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:24 am

I had Burnett also. I'm kind of sad that this whole thing was such a whirlwind that I didn't really get to see anyone.

I really REALLY wish that Columbia had sent out their aid packets yesterday so that I would be able to actually think on it during this weekend instead of still being in the same place that I was during both visitations. All of the schools I visited were great. I'm seriously starting to consider throwing a die (but not really :) )

WestOfTheRest

Postby WestOfTheRest » Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:54 pm

Verisimi wrote:I had Burnett also. I'm kind of sad that this whole thing was such a whirlwind that I didn't really get to see anyone.

I really REALLY wish that Columbia had sent out their aid packets yesterday so that I would be able to actually think on it during this weekend instead of still being in the same place that I was during both visitations. All of the schools I visited were great. I'm seriously starting to consider throwing a die (but not really :) )

The aid thing is starting to irritate me.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:39 pm

I can't find the place in last year's thread when FinAid came out. I know CLS released it during the day of NYU's deadline, but anyone have any idea what time during the day it was?

Hobbes89

Postby Hobbes89 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:41 pm

I took a peek at last year's thread, people started reporting receiving emails around 4:30PM...kinda late :(

mcweanis

Postby mcweanis » Sun Apr 03, 2011 9:42 pm

wtf are all the nyu people supposed to do??

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:02 pm

mcweanis wrote:wtf are all the nyu people supposed to do??

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Apr 03, 2011 10:27 pm

Hobbes89 wrote:I took a peek at last year's thread, people started reporting receiving emails around 4:30PM...kinda late :(

Columbia sends out finaid by email? How unlike them. So we should start receiving them tomorrow?

Hobbes89

Postby Hobbes89 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:52 pm

delusional wrote:
Hobbes89 wrote:I took a peek at last year's thread, people started reporting receiving emails around 4:30PM...kinda late :(

Columbia sends out finaid by email? How unlike them. So we should start receiving them tomorrow?

From what I understand, people who sent in NYU offers last year got their offers on the deadline by email, otherwise they were indeed snail mailed.

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:02 am

So we just have to reply to NYU's before the end of the day today (4/4)? Like, before midnight?

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:03 am

linky link?

Hobbes89

Postby Hobbes89 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:06 am

Ship87 wrote:

linky link?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97781&hilit=columbia+financial+aid+award+date&start=350

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:13 am

Hobbes89 wrote:
Ship87 wrote:

linky link?

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97781&hilit=columbia+financial+aid+award+date&start=350

Thank you very much. Did anybody else who emailed CLS with their NYU award not get any response at all? I'm a little bit worried my two emails were lost in the shuffle, I guess we'll see tomorrow. In 24 hours I'll know for sure which law school I'm going to..

whirledpeas86

Postby whirledpeas86 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:15 am

Hey, does anyone know the username/password to the admitted students website? I can't remember and I still need to sign up for the Columbia mini-ASW 2 mondays from now!!

ETA: Nvm, found it!

vertex

Postby vertex » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:17 pm

Today's the big day for financial aid awards! Everyone hold on to your hats!

redsoxfan2495

Postby redsoxfan2495 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:04 pm

vertex wrote:Today's the big day for financial aid awards! Everyone hold on to your hats!
I just got accepted last week and only recently sent in the last of my financial aid stuff. Does anyone have an idea of how much longer someone in my situation will have to wait?

moneko

Postby moneko » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:21 pm

bistduverrueckt wrote:
mcweanis wrote:i thought our prof (dubler) seemed pretty cool but the whole theme of the class was waaay simplistic and dumbed down even for a 0L. like, WHOA, its hard to legally define a family! shocking!

I was in that one too. I was the one who said that the unmarried couple could get married to resolve their situation in the Hann case.
And yeah I thought it was kind of simplistic but was hoping that's just her teaching style.

also had dubler and yeah... definitely seemed more simplistic than my UG classes, but i figured she might've been dumbing it down cause it was a mock class??

in other news, just got CLS' finaid award (went in at asw and talked to them about nyu's deadline). 20k less than nyu's offer.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”