Columbia Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
vertex

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby vertex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:28 pm

I bet the whole day is so much fun and then at night they all party together so nobody has a chance to update us. I hear the ASW and Orientation are the funnest parts of law school.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:02 pm

vertex wrote:I bet the whole day is so much fun and then at night they all party together so nobody has a chance to update us. I hear the ASW and Orientation are the funnest parts of law school.

Hate you ;p

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Someone should live tweet the whole thing. 8)

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:24 pm

piccolittle wrote:
vertex wrote:I bet the whole day is so much fun and then at night they all party together so nobody has a chance to update us. I hear the ASW and Orientation are the funnest parts of law school.

Hate you ;p

Yeah they are probably busy getting cold called in the mock class, mock blue booking and signing loan forms....

paaaaaaarty :lol:

jk cant wait for ASW #2!

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:42 pm

jtemp320 wrote:jk cant wait for ASW #2!

:D Me either!

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:45 pm

alphamoose wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:jk cant wait for ASW #2!

:D Me either!

Whooo! ASW 2!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:04 pm

Ya +1 for the combined CLS/NYU end of March trip.

vertex

Postby vertex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:59 pm

ASW #2! I can't wait!

Picco you should come!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:00 pm

We need to establish a code to recognize TLSers. Like...a phrase or a button. =D

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:30 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:We need to establish a code to recognize TLSers. Like...a phrase or a button. =D

We really should.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:35 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:We need to establish a code to recognize TLSers. Like...a phrase or a button. =D

Yeah it should be "retake" or "hold on to your hats" or...

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:03 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtemp320

Postby jtemp320 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:07 pm

alphamoose wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

But we can't just keep going around saying that.. or maybe we could because people would think we're odd and stay away from us. Then we would all be left being outcasts together :D

Ah you're right we should find a "code" or "phrase" that will identify us as members of an internet forum but not make people think we are odd and stay away from us. :lol:

Yeah maybe we should just introduce ourselves to each other the regular way...

HG2014

Postby HG2014 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:13 pm

Hey everyone,

I finally caved and created a profile, because I wanted to share an important insight from Columbia's Admitted Student Days today. I'm deciding between Columbia and NYU, and have been pretty on the fence for the last month or so. I know that I want to do public interest law, so the conventional wisdom is NYU, but I wanted to keep an open mind, especially since Columbia presents itself as basically being able to match NYU in terms of public interest/human rights opportunities and resources.

I enjoyed all of the events over the past two days. The faculty and current students were super friendly and helpful, I loved Morningside Heights and the Columbia area. I thoroughly enjoyed the classes I sat in on and especially the mock class I took- the professor was engaging and supportive.

However, I sat next to a current student at lunch, who said that she came into law school unsure of her direction and since then has decided to pursue public interest. When I told her that I already know I want to do public interest, she said point blank- "Go to NYU." She said that even though Columbia markets itself as being supportive of public interest, that in truth they are not that supportive, and the public interest-oriented students complain all the time. I was very grateful for her candidness, as sometimes it's hard to sift through the marketing to determine what's really going on.

I don't want to take the word of one student as representing the opinions of all CLS students, but I thought it was interesting that a current student who was at an event to convince me to come to Columbia, still said that given my interests, I should go to NYU. This being said, if I were not set on public interest, I would be delighted with Columbia and its offerings.

Just wanted to throw that out there for those of you who are interested in PI. I'd love to hear other opinions on the matter.

Lem37

Postby Lem37 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:29 pm

HG2014 wrote:Hey everyone,

I finally caved and created a profile, because I wanted to share an important insight from Columbia's Admitted Student Days today. I'm deciding between Columbia and NYU, and have been pretty on the fence for the last month or so. I know that I want to do public interest law, so the conventional wisdom is NYU, but I wanted to keep an open mind, especially since Columbia presents itself as basically being able to match NYU in terms of public interest/human rights opportunities and resources.

I enjoyed all of the events over the past two days. The faculty and current students were super friendly and helpful, I loved Morningside Heights and the Columbia area. I thoroughly enjoyed the classes I sat in on and especially the mock class I took- the professor was engaging and supportive.

However, I sat next to a current student at lunch, who said that she came into law school unsure of her direction and since then has decided to pursue public interest. When I told her that I already know I want to do public interest, she said point blank- "Go to NYU." She said that even though Columbia markets itself as being supportive of public interest, that in truth they are not that supportive, and the public interest-oriented students complain all the time. I was very grateful for her candidness, as sometimes it's hard to sift through the marketing to determine what's really going on.

I don't want to take the word of one student as representing the opinions of all CLS students, but I thought it was interesting that a current student who was at an event to convince me to come to Columbia, still said that given my interests, I should go to NYU. This being said, if I were not set on public interest, I would be delighted with Columbia and its offerings.

Just wanted to throw that out there for those of you who are interested in PI. I'd love to hear other opinions on the matter.

As a current student who works in human righs and unfortunately wasn't at this particular event, I have to disagree. But that's just my opinion.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:18 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
alphamoose wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

But we can't just keep going around saying that.. or maybe we could because people would think we're odd and stay away from us. Then we would all be left being outcasts together :D

Ah you're right we should find a "code" or "phrase" that will identify us as members of an internet forum but not make people think we are odd and stay away from us. :lol:

Yeah maybe we should just introduce ourselves to each other the regular way...

Alright the phrase is...

"So are you excited to be in Morningside Heights this fine morning?"

It doesn't matter if it is not, in fact, a "fine morning". I will say regardless, and in a large group. I will wait for someone to break out laughing, then I will buy that fine gentleman (or lady) a shot at the bar.

=D

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:30 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vertex

Postby vertex » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:05 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

It doesn't matter if it is not, in fact, a "fine morning". I will say regardless, and in a large group. I will wait for someone to break out laughing, then I will buy that fine gentleman (or lady) a shot at the bar.

=D

I like it! Bonus points if we're in the East Village around midnight and you ask if I'm excited to be in Morningside Heights this fine morning?

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Fri Mar 04, 2011 11:00 am

vertex wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

=D

I like it! Bonus points if we're in the East Village around midnight and you ask if I'm excited to be in Morningside Heights this fine morning?

Haha I love it too but there is no way I am saying that to every random person I meet. With my luck I'll meet like 3 TLSers and scare the rest of my future classmates...

I vote for like a baseball cap that says "Hold on to this hat!" or something... It's like giving out our secret code without looking like total weirdos ;)

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Last edited by alphamoose on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

moneko

Postby moneko » Fri Mar 04, 2011 4:56 pm

alphamoose wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

nooo but that's the fun of it! trying to work 'hold on to your hats' into a normal conversation... :P

"did you hear about the student organizational events tonight? i heard that you should *ahem* hold onto your hats, cause it's going to be epic"
"look at that handle of tequila! hold onto your hats... i'm going to destroy it!" etc :)

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:02 pm

Ship87

Postby Ship87 » Fri Mar 04, 2011 5:37 pm

alphamoose wrote:Anyone that went to asw care to share their thoughts on the last two days? :D

..Pretty please?

I'll share some thoughts. I had a great time Wednesday and Thursday. I got into the city around 1 and after registration I went to my host's house which was right across from Warren hall. The first day wasn't too structured. There were some faculty chat sessions and a campus tour and in between I sat in on an antitrust class. I actually met a fellow TLSer in the elevator on the way to registration haha. During the evening there was a welcome reception with an open bar and food which was a nice chance to socialize with admitted/current students. After that there were after hours events and several of the clubs had parties in/around the law school. The mid west society had a keg in one of the classrooms and then a bunch of other clubs were in a bar down the street. I thoroughly enjoyed playing flipcup in the Columbia Law School classroom :D.

The second day was more structured with panels, mock classses, and faculty discussions/presentations. Unfortunately I couldn't be there for the PILF Auction but I heard it was fun.

So my general impression of the place was that it was much more laid back than I was expecting. Also, everybody there is very impressive from the current to the admitted students. My host was really nice and my law school tour guide was pretty hilarious. The midwest society people were laid back and fun as expected. The profs sat with us at lunch and the ones I sat with were very engaging and very friendly. In the end I very much enjoyed my visit. I'll be going to NYU's later in March so that will give me something to compare it to, but Columbia seemed like a great place with great people to spend the next 3 years. My $0.02 and anecdotes.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:49 pm

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Mar 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Are we going to be screwed if we skip out around noon on the second day to go to NYU's? Trying to figure out how to negotiate that transition.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”