Columbia Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
bdubs

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:36 pm

Wondering if CLS is soliciting applications for the JD/MBA from admitted JD students. I know they recently extended the deadline for the joint program apps to March 15.

I submitted an app for both programs in November and December respectively but haven't heard back. Wondering if they are trying to increase the applicant pool before giving me a decision.

Has anyone been contacted regarding the program?

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:46 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
Hobbes89 wrote:CLS, NYU, and Boalt for me...heavily favoring CLS though.

+1

Same, although I'm leaning NYU. After Michigan WL'd me, my hopes of leveraging money at Berkeley kinda went down the drain. I really wish NYU would get their scholarship invites out, so I could book some tickets to New York.

If I was a January VCE, should I have that brick by now?

kwais

Postby kwais » Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:48 pm

ahduth wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

+1

Same, although I'm leaning NYU. After Michigan WL'd me, my hopes of leveraging money at Berkeley kinda went down the drain. I really wish NYU would get their scholarship invites out, so I could book some tickets to New York.

I would think so. My brick came 5 days after VCE

chasgoose

Postby chasgoose » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:54 am

Did anyone attending the ASW March 3-4th get e-mailed a homework assignment????? I was so confused at first and then I realized they were going to be having the mock classes. But seriously, I was like really CLS? I haven't even sent in a deposit and you are already assigning homework?

CrashingTheGate

Postby CrashingTheGate » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:32 am

ahduth wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:

+1

Just curious, why NYU over CLS? Also, I am going to the second admitted students event - at least part of it. I have to work those days. :(

bellamy

Postby bellamy » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:47 am

chasgoose wrote:Did anyone attending the ASW March 3-4th get e-mailed a homework assignment????? I was so confused at first and then I realized they were going to be having the mock classes. But seriously, I was like really CLS? I haven't even sent in a deposit and you are already assigning homework?

Yes got mine yesterday.Will be in a contracts class with the former Dean of the UVa law school discussing lame horses.Kinda fun.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:16 pm

bellamy wrote:
chasgoose wrote:Did anyone attending the ASW March 3-4th get e-mailed a homework assignment????? I was so confused at first and then I realized they were going to be having the mock classes. But seriously, I was like really CLS? I haven't even sent in a deposit and you are already assigning homework?

Yes got mine yesterday.Will be in a contracts class with the former Dean of the UVa law school discussing lame horses.Kinda fun.

That must be Bob Scott! He was my Contracts professor. One of the best profs at the law school and a lot of fun. I think the case you're reading is Bailey v. West, right? That's the first case you read in his class.

And as for it being "homework," it's just a case to read so you can get a better sense of what a class is like :) Just read it quickly and get an idea of what's happening.

ma456

Postby ma456 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:19 pm

Got mine yesterday too. I can't believe we have homework already either...

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:50 pm

ma456 wrote:

Got mine yesterday too. I can't believe we have homework already either...

Considering that all the so-called "homework" is reading for class, I think it's a pretty good idea to give you at least a taster of what law school is actually like before you turn up there expecting to attend.

I can't go to either ASW, so I'm jealous of you all, cases or not! :wink:

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:01 pm

The homework seems like a great idea, I hope I can make the second ASW. You're sitting in on an actual class for that then? Or is it a fake class composed entirely of potential matriculants.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sat Feb 26, 2011 3:05 pm

ahduth wrote:The homework seems like a great idea, I hope I can make the second ASW. You're sitting in on an actual class for that then? Or is it a fake class composed entirely of potential matriculants.

From what I understand, it's just a class of admitted students.

Just in advance, have fun everyone and make sure to report back as much as you can!

alicen

Postby alicen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:59 pm

hi everyone, quick question: is anyone thinking of deferring or does anyone know someone who's deferred at cls? i know they have a very liberal deferral policy, but what exactly does this mean? do you have to have a good reason (employment) for deferring when you ask to? i would really like to defer, but i'm not sure i'll be employed by the deadline!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:28 pm

alicen wrote:hi everyone, quick question: is anyone thinking of deferring or does anyone know someone who's deferred at cls? i know they have a very liberal deferral policy, but what exactly does this mean? do you have to have a good reason (employment) for deferring when you ask to? i would really like to defer, but i'm not sure i'll be employed by the deadline!

I'm planning on deferring. The accepted students handbook (the brick) had an email of the person to talk to about the deferral process. I'm going to try for a two year deferral due to my associate position at an investment bank (typically two year run).

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:23 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:
alicen wrote:hi everyone, quick question: is anyone thinking of deferring or does anyone know someone who's deferred at cls? i know they have a very liberal deferral policy, but what exactly does this mean? do you have to have a good reason (employment) for deferring when you ask to? i would really like to defer, but i'm not sure i'll be employed by the deadline!

I'm planning on deferring. The accepted students handbook (the brick) had an email of the person to talk to about the deferral process. I'm going to try for a two year deferral due to my associate position at an investment bank (typically two year run).

My BF is deferring for two years. Just so you know, you have to pay the deposit and something extra (I think around $500 maybe? I can't remember now) and then after the first year I think you need to pay another $500 to show that you still intend to go. This shouldn't be too big a burden if you're at an investment bank though :)

Re: not having anything planned out. I would have a structured idea of what you're going to be doing. You want to be able to give a very good sense of what you'll be doing. So, for example, don't say "working somewhere," say you're currently interviewing with and the plan is to work at a legal aid society doing xyz work with hopes that it will provide you with xyz skills. Good luck!

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:07 pm

Anyone wanna take a look at my Scholarship Negotiation email? I'd <3 you for life!

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:30 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:

Did you consider retaking and reapplying? With two years of solid WE and a marginally higher LSAT score, seems like you might be able to get into Harvard.

Can't blame you for not wanting to go through this process again however.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:45 pm

ahduth wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:

Did you consider retaking and reapplying? With two years of solid WE and a marginally higher LSAT score, seems like you might be able to get into Harvard.

Can't blame you for not wanting to go through this process again however.

I actually have strong ties to NYC so I would probably still choose Columbia over Harvard anyway. Yale on the other hand...lol

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:47 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Anyone wanna take a look at my Scholarship Negotiation email? I'd <3 you for life!

I would. I'm not an expert by any means, though. PM it to me if you would like.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:06 am

if anyone is going to admit days on mar 2-3 i'll be dressed as a leprechaun and dancing in the lobby of jg the whole day while handing out free copies of the constitution.

moneko

Postby moneko » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 am

UnitarySpace wrote:if anyone is going to admit days on mar 2-3 i'll be dressed as a leprechaun and dancing in the lobby of jg the whole day while handing out free copies of the constitution.

man between you and the 'penguin!' yelling in the nyu thread i really think i chose the wrong asw to go to now... :P

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:59 am

Everyone who's going to ASD today and tomorrow:

Have fun and post here about EVERYTHING! I am living vicariously here so I want to hear all of your impressions, down to the tiniest little detail :mrgreen:

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:03 am

I walk into the law school at 9:20 am. They've cleared out a whole bunch of chairs and tables that used to be there. The carpet looks disgusting.

alphamoose

Postby alphamoose » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:56 am

piccolittle wrote:Everyone who's going to ASD today and tomorrow:

Have fun and post here about EVERYTHING! I am living vicariously here so I want to hear all of your impressions, down to the tiniest little detail :mrgreen:

This, please! :D

daisyduke

Postby daisyduke » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:04 pm

How is the ASW going??

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 12:11 pm

Bump!

Anyone going to report? Or is it all that much fun?? :wink:

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”