Columbia Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
cardinals1989

Silver

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:28 am

moneko wrote:
+1, although money could also be an issue :/
Totally agree with this. The prices are starting to scare me, too.

jdstl

Bronze

Post by jdstl » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:41 pm

cardinals1989 wrote:
moneko wrote:
Cardinals, are you from St. Louis? If so, I have to ask, where did you go to high school?

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:08 pm

jdstl wrote:
cardinals1989 wrote:
moneko wrote:
Cardinals, are you from St. Louis? If so, I have to ask, where did you go to high school?
PM'd.

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Bronze

Post by TrustMeI'mAnActress » Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Checking in! So excited!

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:01 pm

So excited. Only the cost is bumming me out too. Does anyone know how NeedAccess works? Specifically, does parents income automatically disqualify you even if you are 27 and have been demonstrably independent for 6 years? Either way, can't wait.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:36 pm

kwais wrote:So excited. Only the cost is bumming me out too. Does anyone know how NeedAccess works? Specifically, does parents income automatically disqualify you even if you are 27 and have been demonstrably independent for 6 years? Either way, can't wait.
I don't know. I'm 28 and when I talked to financial aid they did not care AT ALL that my parents gave me no financial support and hadn't for the last ten years.

ma456

New

Post by ma456 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 7:25 pm

I went to visit the campus today since the weather was so warm out here. Everyone looks so nice, I am getting really pumped for the ASP (I'm going to the first one)! I would post pics but the only one I took is of me waving awkwardly at the camera in front of the building. That said, while Greene is kind of toaster-y on the outside, it seemed much nicer on the inside. Can't wait to meet all you ASP #1-ers.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:39 pm

For those of you guys who have recently got scholarship offers from other schools, have you started negotiating yet? Chicago came out with offers today, and I think Columbia has been up to entertaining offers from NYU/Chi.

Or should I wait until April? hmmmm.

cyxdev17

New

Post by cyxdev17 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:For those of you guys who have recently got scholarship offers from other schools, have you started negotiating yet? Chicago came out with offers today, and I think Columbia has been up to entertaining offers from NYU/Chi.

Wondering about this too. Please be generous, Columbia.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

viking138

Bronze

Post by viking138 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 10:27 pm

For those interested in need-based aid, just want to let everyone know that I didn't get my need-based scholarship offer until mid-April. I received $50k over three years based on me being straight out of undergrad and my parents' combined annual income being about the median national income.

PM me if you want more details :)

cyxdev17

New

Post by cyxdev17 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Do you guys happen to know about Chicago? I got my financial package today and I'm not sure if it's merit or need based. I'm hoping to be able to get the same or similar from Columbia but I don't think I qualify for much need-based aid.

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Bronze

Post by TrustMeI'mAnActress » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:18 pm

What are the items you receive from Columbia after being admitted? VCE, Admitted Student Handbook...? Is there anything else? Someone mentioned a New York guide.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:27 pm

TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:What are the items you receive from Columbia after being admitted? VCE, Admitted Student Handbook...? Is there anything else? Someone mentioned a New York guide.
VCE, Handbook, and "Inside New York" which is a guidebook to the City - really nice.

Apparently there is also a "brick" of materials in a separate mailing as well but I haven't gotten that yet

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TrustMeI'mAnActress

Bronze

Post by TrustMeI'mAnActress » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:28 pm

jtemp320 wrote:
TrustMeI'mAnActress wrote:What are the items you receive from Columbia after being admitted? VCE, Admitted Student Handbook...? Is there anything else? Someone mentioned a New York guide.
VCE, Handbook, and "Inside New York" which is a guidebook to the City - really nice.

Apparently there is also a "brick" of materials in a separate mailing as well but I haven't gotten that yet
Awesome!! Thanks. :D

kwais

Gold

Post by kwais » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:46 pm

Got the brick today. It is outstanding.

starrydreamz3

Silver

Post by starrydreamz3 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:48 pm

Just got another letter from the dean encouraging me to attend the accepted students day and enroll at Columbia. Came in a small white envelope.

Geesh they really are gunning for their prospective students. I'm semi impressed.

cardinals1989

Silver

Post by cardinals1989 » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:47 pm

starrydreamz3 wrote:Just got another letter from the dean encouraging me to attend the accepted students day and enroll at Columbia. Came in a small white envelope.

Geesh they really are gunning for their prospective students. I'm semi impressed.
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chasgoose

Silver

Post by chasgoose » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:26 am

cardinals1989 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:Just got another letter from the dean encouraging me to attend the accepted students day and enroll at Columbia. Came in a small white envelope.

+1
Same here. Although at first I thought it was a late rejection letter telling me my acceptance was a mistake lol...

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:38 am

cyxdev17 wrote:
starrydreamz3 wrote:For those of you guys who have recently got scholarship offers from other schools, have you started negotiating yet? Chicago came out with offers today, and I think Columbia has been up to entertaining offers from NYU/Chi.

+1 Should we wait until we hear back from Columbia (see the 1st offer) before we start negotiating and mentioning other offers (such as Chicago)?

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:44 am

hellome wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:

+1 Should we wait until we hear back from Columbia (see the 1st offer) before we start negotiating and mentioning other offers (such as Chicago)?
No - don't wait, especially since CLS has a limited amount of FinAid to distribute, and leveraged $$ will count as need-based regardless of your financial status. Fill out your financial aid application forms ASAP (you must do this even if you're certain that you won't qualify for need-based aid). After you submit that, send CLS's FinAid office an email briefly outlining your situation, how CLS is your top choice but money is a factor, and you received scholarship offers from X-schools, etc. Importantly, ATTACH PDFs of your other scholly offer letters to that email.

Hey-O

Silver

Post by Hey-O » Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:21 pm

Lem37 wrote:
hellome wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:

No - don't wait, especially since CLS has a limited amount of FinAid to distribute, and leveraged $$ will count as need-based regardless of your financial status. Fill out your financial aid application forms ASAP (you must do this even if you're certain that you won't qualify for need-based aid). After you submit that, send CLS's FinAid office an email briefly outlining your situation, how CLS is your top choice but money is a factor, and you received scholarship offers from X-schools, etc. Importantly, ATTACH PDFs of your other scholly offer letters to that email.
This advice is gold. Thanks. I will do this in the next few days.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

KG_CalGuy

Bronze

Post by KG_CalGuy » Sun Feb 20, 2011 3:46 pm

Lem37 wrote:
Absolutely follow Lem's advice. I successfully leveraged a large scholarship at a non-peer institution to get a small amount of grant money from CLS. It wasn't much, but it was something.

hellome

Bronze

Post by hellome » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:15 pm

Lem37 wrote:
hellome wrote:
cyxdev17 wrote:

Thank you! These are the moments that I really appreciate TLS <3

Lem37

Bronze

Post by Lem37 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:38 pm

Is anyone coming to "Mondays at Columbia" tomorrow?

chrischristie

New

Post by chrischristie » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

Lem37 wrote:Is anyone coming to "Mondays at Columbia" tomorrow?
got a link with more info?

are there any more after this one?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”