Columbia Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
marlis

New

Columbia Law Class of 2014

Post by marlis » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:07 pm

So excited for next year!!! Has anyone started to look into student housing??? Any opinions??

beleaguer

Bronze

Re: Columbia Law Class of 2014

Post by beleaguer » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:21 pm

:mrgreen: love it.

housing: not sure about anything except from past threads --> lenfest and lionsgate seem wayyyy too expensive
Last edited by beleaguer on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:17 pm

Oohhhhh yeaaaaa. Way too excited right now. Completely failing at studying for finals. Oh well...worst comes to worst I'll be going to COLUMBIA FREAKIN' LAW SCHOOL :D

bofaem

New

Post by bofaem » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:10 pm

+1 here, im pretty excited

how many people do you think have been admitted ED? facebook group exist didn't see one?

kiniru

New

Post by kiniru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:32 am

+1 here too

I'm not sure I want to do housing... I feel like I've had enough of those in UG, and its not like Columbia's housing prices are inexpensive...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:36 am

kiniru wrote:+1 here too

I'm not sure I want to do housing... I feel like I've had enough of those in UG, and its not like Columbia's housing prices are inexpensive...
I've heard they heavily subsidize the housing so it is definitely worth it. It also looka like there are options beyond your standard domitiry style.

kiniru

New

Post by kiniru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:01 pm

canuck wrote:

I've heard they heavily subsidize the housing so it is definitely worth it. It also looka like there are options beyond your standard domitiry style.
I think it depends on the type of housing.. haha I would love a studio for sure, but I'm not sure I'd do housing for dormitory style or apartment shares... (which was what I had for most of UG) There's definitely advantages to living on campus, particularly for 1L, but I also think living in the city also has its advantages too. My train of thought is since we're gonna be there for at least 3 yrs with most likely the summers, why not consider getting an apt and some furniture...? Eh, I'm putting way more thought into it than I need to right now.... lol I'm going to my TOP CHOICE for law school!! :D

krautraged

New

Post by krautraged » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

Can you guys let us know how they are notifying Accepteds? Thanks!

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:50 pm

kiniru wrote:
canuck wrote:

I think it depends on the type of housing.. haha I would love a studio for sure, but I'm not sure I'd do housing for dormitory style or apartment shares... (which was what I had for most of UG) There's definitely advantages to living on campus, particularly for 1L, but I also think living in the city also has its advantages too. My train of thought is since we're gonna be there for at least 3 yrs with most likely the summers, why not consider getting an apt and some furniture...? Eh, I'm putting way more thought into it than I need to right now.... lol I'm going to my TOP CHOICE for law school!! :D
Oh are you considering buying? I hadn't thought of that. I'll hopefully be in New York for the long run, but I don't think I can afford a mortgage and law school in one shot unfortunately.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beleaguer

Bronze

Post by beleaguer » Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:23 pm

krautraged wrote:Can you guys let us know how they are notifying Accepteds? Thanks!
we got emails with pdf attachments. so far nothing in the mail yet.

kiniru

New

Post by kiniru » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:19 pm

canuck wrote:
kiniru wrote:
canuck wrote:

Oh are you considering buying? I hadn't thought of that. I'll hopefully be in New York for the long run, but I don't think I can afford a mortgage and law school in one shot unfortunately.
oh hahaah NONONO .. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for Columbia and hoping they'll give me a good aid package.
I meant like signing a lease for an apt or something like that...

I also called the adcom office about the letters in the mail.. they said that they are supposed to be sent out but couldn't tell me if they had been, and also couldn't confirm my acceptance over the phone but confirmed that they sent me an e-mail on Tuesday... :?

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Not in, but I'm bumping to follow this thread. Congrats to all!!!!!

UnitarySpace

Bronze

Post by UnitarySpace » Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:38 pm

They don't heavily subsidize the housing.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

marlis

New

Post by marlis » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:04 pm

kiniru wrote: I also called the adcom office about the letters in the mail.. they said that they are supposed to be sent out but couldn't tell me if they had been, and also couldn't confirm my acceptance over the phone but confirmed that they sent me an e-mail on Tuesday... :?
I still don't believe it's real until I receive a physical letter that I can actually hold. It better come soon. I'd also like a nice little packet with some swag - perhaps a binder or a pen? Common Columbia, I want my vomit colored envelope!!! Please don't make me wait until February...

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:35 pm

marlis wrote:
kiniru wrote: I also called the adcom office about the letters in the mail.. they said that they are supposed to be sent out but couldn't tell me if they had been, and also couldn't confirm my acceptance over the phone but confirmed that they sent me an e-mail on Tuesday... :?
I still don't believe it's real until I receive a physical letter that I can actually hold. It better come soon. I'd also like a nice little packet with some swag - perhaps a binder or a pen? Common Columbia, I want my vomit colored envelope!!! Please don't make me wait until February...
Swag baby! Bring on the swag!

jcl76

New

Post by jcl76 » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:44 pm

So...

I got a PDF / email decision letter, but I'm nervous about withdrawing my other applications until I know this wasn't a fluke! Have you all withdrawn your other apps or are you waiting?

The admissions office won't verify my decision either way... :/

vertex

Bronze

Post by vertex » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:07 pm

jcl76 wrote:So...

I got a PDF / email decision letter, but I'm nervous about withdrawing my other applications until I know this wasn't a fluke! Have you all withdrawn your other apps or are you waiting?

I don't think you have to worry about it being a fluke. Even if they didn't mean to admit you, they did admit you. If you withdraw all your other apps and then Columbia comes back and says whoops actually we didn't mean it, I think that would not be legal... but I am not a lawyer. Yet..

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

marlis

New

Post by marlis » Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:16 pm

I was nervous about withdrawing all of my apps too, but I've taken care of it (except for Harvard - they want a signed letter to be mailed to them :roll: )
I waited a bit on NYU (you know, just in case my PDF WAS a fluke), but then I checked my status checker and it had been updated to "Application Withdrawn from Consideration". So I guess Columbia notified them before I even had the chance to (as they say they will in the acceptance letter)
Don't worry - though it may seem like a dream, I'm sure you're really in! Congrats!

im_blue

Gold

Post by im_blue » Tue Dec 07, 2010 1:09 am

vertex wrote:

I don't think you have to worry about it being a fluke. Even if they didn't mean to admit you, they did admit you. If you withdraw all your other apps and then Columbia comes back and says whoops actually we didn't mean it, I think that would not be legal... but I am not a lawyer. Yet..
http://www.law.berkeley.edu/3931.htm :lol:

canuck

Bronze

Post by canuck » Tue Dec 07, 2010 9:57 am

im_blue wrote:
vertex wrote:

http://www.law.berkeley.edu/3931.htm :lol:
I remember hearing about this massive fail a few years ago. Could you imagine all the applicants that really had no shot? They must have gone from out-of-their-mind jubilation to crushing depression.

polyester

New

Post by polyester » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:20 pm

I just checked my email. I am in complete disbelief.

How do I start withdrawing my application from places? Do I need to go on each of their websites individually?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:07 am

polyester wrote:I just checked my email. I am in complete disbelief.

How do I start withdrawing my application from places? Do I need to go on each of their websites individually?
You're in? Congrats!!!!! What is the date on your acceptance letter?

Last year when I withdrew from schools I sent emails to each admissions office.

polyester

New

Post by polyester » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:11 am

shanemahsa wrote:

Yes I got in. It said Nov 30 on the top.

So I just send them emails? Does it have to be long or can I just simply say "I would like to withdraw my application to ___ Law."?

shanemahsa

Silver

Post by shanemahsa » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:17 am

polyester wrote:
shanemahsa wrote:

Yes I got in. It said Nov 30 on the top.

So I just send them emails? Does it have to be long or can I just simply say "I would like to withdraw my application to ___ Law."?
Thanks!

I'd write:

"Dear X Admissions,

As a result of being accepted through an early decision program at another law school, I am required to withdraw all currently pending applications. Please withdraw my application from consideration.

Sincerely,
[You]
Lsac #"

(Or something like that)

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:45 am

Congratulations to everyone admitted so far! I'm tagging this thread, as I hope to join you all shortly. :D

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”