UC Berkeley Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:32 pm

clone22 wrote:I keep hearing that berk has decent need based financial aid, but on their website it talks about how berk expects you to take out the first $44K of cost in loans first year, and first $40K in loans for the last two years. Does that mean the rest will be given in grant aid? Does berk definitely not give a greater percentage of need based aid in grants instead of loans? If anyone could chime in, it would be very useful, because $130K in debt seems to be much more manageable than $210K (the full 3 year COA).


You can get a picture of aid given out by looking at the ABA profile document from LSAC. I guess we will wait for a package to be awarded. I have no idea what the time line is, but it seems to be later than other schools.

User avatar
IzziesGal
Posts: 764
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:11 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby IzziesGal » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:38 pm

clone22 wrote:I keep hearing that berk has decent need based financial aid, but on their website it talks about how berk expects you to take out the first $44K of cost in loans first year, and first $40K in loans for the last two years. Does that mean the rest will be given in grant aid? Does berk definitely not give a greater percentage of need based aid in grants instead of loans? If anyone could chime in, it would be very useful, because $130K in debt seems to be much more manageable than $210K (the full 3 year COA).


I received a substantial need-based grant my 1L year (20k+) and I know of others who are receiving need-based grants in the 20-26k range. As a 2L, it got chopped down a little bit because I became a resident, so things evened out cost-wise (almost everyone becomes a resident as a 2L). Your need-based grants are separate from your loans. You will apply on a separate website (Need Access or Need Based Access, something like that) and you can provide commentary about your situation (for example, if you come from a single-parent home, if your parents' income is substantially low and thus they cannot help you, if you have children or other dependents that you provide for, if you're significant other is in school full-time as well, etc.) You will need to provide all of this info regardless of whether or not you are financially independent from your parents. I have never heard of what you said about needing to take out the first 44k etc. I applied for financial aid (loans) and need-based aid simultaneously. When I got my grant, the balance of what I owed just fell into my loans. Fyi, I didn't find out about the grant until I visited for admitted student's day in April.

As far as 1L and 2L go, if you meet the criteria, you should be set. Not sure what happens as a 3L if you're at a firm. This is actually something I am worried about right now. I'll be working in biglaw this summer, and I am not sure if my grant will be in jeopardy because of the substantial sum we get paid over the 10 weeks. I'll let you know when I find out. :D

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:05 am

Recently finished up the matching aid app. The site says decisions are rolling but looking back at last years thread it looks like the vast, vast majority of people got no response at all until mid to late April. Anyone know when they first begin making matching aid decisions?

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby sarahh » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:49 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Recently finished up the matching aid app. The site says decisions are rolling but looking back at last years thread it looks like the vast, vast majority of people got no response at all until mid to late April. Anyone know when they first begin making matching aid decisions?

This is pretty late. Are people only submitting it if they are fairly certain they want to go the school? I am not sure if I should apply for the matching scholarship.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby rundoxierun » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:38 pm

sarahh wrote:
tkgrrett wrote:Recently finished up the matching aid app. The site says decisions are rolling but looking back at last years thread it looks like the vast, vast majority of people got no response at all until mid to late April. Anyone know when they first begin making matching aid decisions?

This is pretty late. Are people only submitting it if they are fairly certain they want to go the school? I am not sure if I should apply for the matching scholarship.


Im applying but I might end up not holding out to hear back. I cant possibly reasonably afford to attend without the match.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:41 pm

tkgrrett wrote:Im applying but I might end up not holding out to hear back. I cant possibly reasonably afford to attend without the match.


I think you should probably just submit an offer that covers much of your COA, and state that you would need something similar. I think last year people found out the week after ASW, so you have like 2 weeks to respond. I am in a similar situation, although my options are not as sexy as yours lol

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby clone22 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:49 pm

IzziesGal wrote:
clone22 wrote:I keep hearing that berk has decent need based financial aid, but on their website it talks about how berk expects you to take out the first $44K of cost in loans first year, and first $40K in loans for the last two years. Does that mean the rest will be given in grant aid? Does berk definitely not give a greater percentage of need based aid in grants instead of loans? If anyone could chime in, it would be very useful, because $130K in debt seems to be much more manageable than $210K (the full 3 year COA).


I received a substantial need-based grant my 1L year (20k+) and I know of others who are receiving need-based grants in the 20-26k range. As a 2L, it got chopped down a little bit because I became a resident, so things evened out cost-wise (almost everyone becomes a resident as a 2L). Your need-based grants are separate from your loans. You will apply on a separate website (Need Access or Need Based Access, something like that) and you can provide commentary about your situation (for example, if you come from a single-parent home, if your parents' income is substantially low and thus they cannot help you, if you have children or other dependents that you provide for, if you're significant other is in school full-time as well, etc.) You will need to provide all of this info regardless of whether or not you are financially independent from your parents. I have never heard of what you said about needing to take out the first 44k etc. I applied for financial aid (loans) and need-based aid simultaneously. When I got my grant, the balance of what I owed just fell into my loans. Fyi, I didn't find out about the grant until I visited for admitted student's day in April.

As far as 1L and 2L go, if you meet the criteria, you should be set. Not sure what happens as a 3L if you're at a firm. This is actually something I am worried about right now. I'll be working in biglaw this summer, and I am not sure if my grant will be in jeopardy because of the substantial sum we get paid over the 10 weeks. I'll let you know when I find out. :D


Thanks, you give me hope. I was a little depressed at thinking I'd have to settle for a T2 that gave me a full ride.

pkt63
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby pkt63 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:14 pm

Got my instructions for the Admitted Students Website and logged on! The optional reading list? Yeah, I know we are all Type A....so I'm sure you all will obsessive compulsively read every last one of those things in the next 6 months, just like me, right? Seriously though, they look interesting, but there's a lot.

I feel like I am definitely going to Berkeley now. I mean, I am still waiting on two very serious potential competetitors, but since they lag, they are missing out on valuable time to build their brand in my head, like Berkeley is doing! Oh, woe is them when they finally admit me and then I just can't get myself to seriously consider them because I am already too psychologically "at" Berkeley Law. Poor, poor Columbia and Harvard. I hope they will be able to console themselves. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, Berekely has always been a very strong contender for me regardless of decision date, so it's exciting to be checking stuff out!

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby jtemp320 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:19 pm

Excited to be in here with you all. Considering CLS and NYU as well and waiting for HYS decisions but have always loved Berkeley and felt like it would be a great fit for me. I'll be at the April 8-9 ASW.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby clone22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:39 am

Quick question for IzziesGal or any current student, any vibe on how the OCI is coming along this year? Are people happy with how they're placing?

Also, anyone going to asw from south florida? want to do a mini get together/0L bar review to celebrate?
cheers

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:19 am

pkt63 wrote:Got my instructions for the Admitted Students Website and logged on! The optional reading list? Yeah, I know we are all Type A....so I'm sure you all will obsessive compulsively read every last one of those things in the next 6 months, just like me, right? Seriously though, they look interesting, but there's a lot.

I feel like I am definitely going to Berkeley now. I mean, I am still waiting on two very serious potential competetitors, but since they lag, they are missing out on valuable time to build their brand in my head, like Berkeley is doing! Oh, woe is them when they finally admit me and then I just can't get myself to seriously consider them because I am already too psychologically "at" Berkeley Law. Poor, poor Columbia and Harvard. I hope they will be able to console themselves. :mrgreen:

Seriously, though, Berekely has always been a very strong contender for me regardless of decision date, so it's exciting to be checking stuff out!


Just ordered 5 of the books from that list (Amazon Prime kicks ass). I'm 99% sure I will be in Berkeley come the fall, so hopefully I see you there!

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 am

clone22 wrote:
IzziesGal wrote:
clone22 wrote:I keep hearing that berk has decent need based financial aid, but on their website it talks about how berk expects you to take out the first $44K of cost in loans first year, and first $40K in loans for the last two years. Does that mean the rest will be given in grant aid? Does berk definitely not give a greater percentage of need based aid in grants instead of loans? If anyone could chime in, it would be very useful, because $130K in debt seems to be much more manageable than $210K (the full 3 year COA).


I received a substantial need-based grant my 1L year (20k+) and I know of others who are receiving need-based grants in the 20-26k range. As a 2L, it got chopped down a little bit because I became a resident, so things evened out cost-wise (almost everyone becomes a resident as a 2L). Your need-based grants are separate from your loans. You will apply on a separate website (Need Access or Need Based Access, something like that) and you can provide commentary about your situation (for example, if you come from a single-parent home, if your parents' income is substantially low and thus they cannot help you, if you have children or other dependents that you provide for, if you're significant other is in school full-time as well, etc.) You will need to provide all of this info regardless of whether or not you are financially independent from your parents. I have never heard of what you said about needing to take out the first 44k etc. I applied for financial aid (loans) and need-based aid simultaneously. When I got my grant, the balance of what I owed just fell into my loans. Fyi, I didn't find out about the grant until I visited for admitted student's day in April.

As far as 1L and 2L go, if you meet the criteria, you should be set. Not sure what happens as a 3L if you're at a firm. This is actually something I am worried about right now. I'll be working in biglaw this summer, and I am not sure if my grant will be in jeopardy because of the substantial sum we get paid over the 10 weeks. I'll let you know when I find out. :D


Thanks, you give me hope. I was a little depressed at thinking I'd have to settle for a T2 that gave me a full ride.


IzziesGal, are you sure about the numbers you have reported here? I ask because the admitted students packet that was sent out contains different information. The need-based aid seems to top out at about $17,500 for in-state students. Also, Berkeley doesn't appear to be using Need Access anymore.

As for calculating need-based aid for 2010 and 2011, the school assumes a base loan amount of $46,500 (first year students). This figure will likely go up for 2011-2012 as tuition goes up. I think a crude calculation for need-based awards might look something like this:

COA - Base Loan Amount - EFC/Student Contribution= Potential Need-Based Grant
$66K - $46K - $0 (assuming broke family/student)= $20K<---above amount mentioned in viewbook so reduced to $17.5K?

Am I missing something here? I'm by no means an expert in this; I'm just trying to figure this out based off available information.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:46 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
IzziesGal, are you sure about the numbers you have reported here? I ask because the admitted students packet that was sent out contains different information. The need-based aid seems to top out at about $17,500 for in-state students. Also, Berkeley doesn't appear to be using Need Access anymore.

As for calculating need-based aid for 2010 and 2011, the school assumes a base loan amount of $46,500 (first year students). This figure will likely go up for 2011-2012 as tuition goes up. I think a crude calculation for need-based awards might look something like this:

COA - Base Loan Amount - EFC/Student Contribution= Potential Need-Based Grant
$66K - $46K - $0 (assuming broke family/student)= $20K<---above amount mentioned in viewbook so reduced to $17.5K?

Am I missing something here? I'm by no means an expert in this; I'm just trying to figure this out based off available information.


The financial aid website now looks different than when I applied. I think this is new info for this year. So it looks like you are right.

COA - $46k - student asset contribution (% of asset + 20% of 2010 AGI over $40k) - $2000 (summer earning before law school if any) - parent contribution = grant eligibility.

I do like that they don't reduce your grant eligibility if you obtain law school or outside awards/scholarships. Although, they could just not give any merit scholarships?

I can't find a max grant amount on the page, so I don't know if there is or not. Viewbook may not be the most up to date info: http://www.law.berkeley.edu/192.htm

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:51 am

Figured it out.

66058 - 46500 - 2000 ~ 17500 -- they expect you to work and count that summer contribution.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby clone22 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:03 pm

On a side note, can anyone comment on the parking situation? How much of a pain in the ass would it be to commute and park on campus? Are the garages far away? etc. Any current students chiming in would be welcome

sarahh
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 2:36 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby sarahh » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:22 pm

clone22 wrote:On a side note, can anyone comment on the parking situation? How much of a pain in the ass would it be to commute and park on campus? Are the garages far away? etc. Any current students chiming in would be welcome


Personally, I would rather poke out my eye with a pencil than try to find parking in downtown Berkeley. You cannot count on finding parking on the street. I did see a a garage or two not too far from the law school when I visited a few weeks ago. Here is the UC Berkeley parking page:

http://pt.berkeley.edu/

JeremyPaul
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 am

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby JeremyPaul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:12 pm

hey folks!! i'm a joint degree student (J.D., Ph.D.) at berkeley and will be starting my law school coursework in the fall. since i'm already on campus, i thought i might be able to help with some questions.

as for parking, it's a mess. getting a two hour on street spot is pretty easy, but i hear anything more than that is a nightmare. unless you're also a dean of the college or something. which i'm assuming most 1Ls aren't...

as for matching, i think it's worth being prepared for the worst. a good friend of mine was offered a full-ride at NYU, but enrolled at berkeley instead. berkeley offered her $0. mind you, this was in spring 2005, when tuition was a lot less, which meant berkeley already had a lower sticker than other schools and also that the campus had less funds to redistribute between students. i think now that they've raised tuition, they also have more cash on hand for scholarships. essentially, by applying for scholarships we're asking for that the rich kid sitting next to us in con law to foot the bill for the rest of us... here's hoping!

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:17 pm

JeremyPaul wrote:hey folks!! i'm a joint degree student (J.D., Ph.D.) at berkeley and will be starting my law school coursework in the fall. since i'm already on campus, i thought i might be able to help with some questions.

as for parking, it's a mess. getting a two hour on street spot is pretty easy, but i hear anything more than that is a nightmare. unless you're also a dean of the college or something. which i'm assuming most 1Ls aren't...

as for matching, i think it's worth being prepared for the worst. a good friend of mine was offered a full-ride at NYU, but enrolled at berkeley instead. berkeley offered her $0. mind you, this was in spring 2005, when tuition was a lot less, which meant berkeley already had a lower sticker than other schools and also that the campus had less funds to redistribute between students. i think now that they've raised tuition, they also have more cash on hand for scholarships. essentially, by applying for scholarships we're asking for that the rich kid sitting next to us in con law to foot the bill for the rest of us... here's hoping!



Thanks for the info. So on the school site they offer parking permits. Where can you park with those permits? I am used to paying high prices for garages, so there is no sticker shock or anything - as long as the option is there.

Your friend - is she happy with her decision? Would she do it again? Also I don't know qualitatively the difference between the 2 schools back then.

JeremyPaul
Posts: 65
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 2:05 am

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby JeremyPaul » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:50 pm

first, apologies on my quote etiquette. don't really have that posting to forums thing down yet.

in terms of parking, this map shows you where students are allowed to be. doesn't look too far, but i can imagine the lots fill up. the closest one to the law school only has 45 spaces! and it's shared by wayyyy more people than that. http://www.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&h ... e365c&z=16

as for NYU vs Berkeley, i'd say my friend regrets it and i don't think i would have made the same choice. a full ride! at a top ranked school!? even if i thought Berkeley was the best match for me, 100k of debt wouldn't be worth it.

pkt63
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:06 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby pkt63 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:10 pm

I know from the applicants thread that there are lots of new admits this week. Welcome to the Class of Thread and looking forward to learning more about Boalt with all my potential classmates!

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby pixytree » Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:05 am

I was under the impression that Berk and UVA students came out with the lowest debt ~75k...Think I read this on the TLS UVA profile. Are students who don't receive merit scholarships really expected to take out $46k in loans each year? I would love to go to Berk, but this would kill my hopes. On another note... having to wait until the end of April to find out about grants/scholarships is insane.

clone22
Posts: 354
Joined: Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:38 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby clone22 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:05 pm

pixytree wrote:I was under the impression that Berk and UVA students came out with the lowest debt ~75k...Think I read this on the TLS UVA profile. Are students who don't receive merit scholarships really expected to take out $46k in loans each year? I would love to go to Berk, but this would kill my hopes. On another note... having to wait until the end of April to find out about grants/scholarships is insane.

The base loan drops to about 40.6K for 2nd and 3rd year students. But yea, here's to hoping that we won't have to take out 130K of debt. On the other hand, at least 50% make it into the Vault 250 firms, and the IBR is the most generous of any law school so far, so I can't imagine boalties end up debt peons too frequently.

rundoxierun
Posts: 1893
Joined: Wed Dec 03, 2008 1:46 am

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby rundoxierun » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:42 pm

pixytree wrote:I was under the impression that Berk and UVA students came out with the lowest debt ~75k...Think I read this on the TLS UVA profile. Are students who don't receive merit scholarships really expected to take out $46k in loans each year? I would love to go to Berk, but this would kill my hopes. On another note... having to wait until the end of April to find out about grants/scholarships is insane.


Yep, that sounds about right. Boalt used to be crazy cheap in the early 2000s but then came along constant UC tuition increases. It really shocked me to find that is a common expectation among top schools that students will take out at least 40k/yr in debt. Even HYS assigns about a 40-46k loan package to all admitted students regardless of income before they decide on how much in grants to award.

User avatar
Marshall Eriksen
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby Marshall Eriksen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:49 pm

.
Last edited by Marshall Eriksen on Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
pixytree
Posts: 175
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:35 pm

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Postby pixytree » Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:37 pm

tkgrrett wrote:
pixytree wrote:I was under the impression that Berk and UVA students came out with the lowest debt ~75k...Think I read this on the TLS UVA profile. Are students who don't receive merit scholarships really expected to take out $46k in loans each year? I would love to go to Berk, but this would kill my hopes. On another note... having to wait until the end of April to find out about grants/scholarships is insane.


Yep, that sounds about right. Boalt used to be crazy cheap in the early 2000s but then came along constant UC tuition increases. It really shocked me to find that is a common expectation among top schools that students will take out at least 40k/yr in debt. Even HYS assigns about a 40-46k loan package to all admitted students regardless of income before they decide on how much in grants to award.


wow. this really changes things for me. I was hoping their need based fin aid would be much better. Haven't received my package yet so I don't know if I got merit aid, but that full T3 scholly is looking better and better




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest