UC Berkeley Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Tanicius

Gold

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:16 pm

bfaiken wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
I'm pretty sure I'm coming to Berkeley either way. I just want to wait and make sure I'm not costing myself a scholarship by saying yes too early.
Then spend the $500 and keep trying because the pay off is huge.

You mean accept the school and the scholarship and continue waiting? Does Berkeley continue giving out matching scholarships past the deadline you give them on the match request?
FWIW...I have a Friday deadline as well (UVA) and got an e-mail yesterday afternoon, so I would expect that they'll be in touch with you very soon. Also fwiw, they declined to match :( Really wanted to go to Berkeley, but I can't possibly justify the cost difference. Good luck to you though, and to others attending Boalt this fall.

They just got back to me too, today: no match.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:24 pm

Sorry to hear about the matching denials :( .

Anyone yet to receive a need-based scholarship? I'm not talking about the Law Grant or general need-based aid, I'm taking about the actual need-based scholarships mentioned on the school's website. I'm curious about this . . .

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:08 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Sorry to hear about the matching denials :( .

Anyone yet to receive a need-based scholarship? I'm not talking about the Law Grant or general need-based aid, I'm taking about the actual need-based scholarships mentioned on the school's website. I'm curious about this . . .

FWD and Softs both got quite substantial ones. In the neighborhood of 10-20k a year. Circumstances had to do with estrangement.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Tanicius wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Sorry to hear about the matching denials :( .

FWD and Softs both got quite substantial ones. In the neighborhood of 10-20k a year. Circumstances had to do with estrangement.
Mine was a law grant.

However, part of my merit scholarship was a combo need/merit fellowship.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:00 pm

Tanicius wrote:
Sorry :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:07 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Tanicius wrote:
Sorry :(

I expected it. I just wanted to be sure.

powerlawyer06

Bronze

Post by powerlawyer06 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:09 pm

forward wrote:Mine was a law grant.

However, part of my merit scholarship was a combo need/merit fellowship.
I like your TAR. :D

re-applicant

Bronze

Post by re-applicant » Mon May 02, 2011 1:36 am

I'll be depositing at NYU tomorrow. Congratulations to all of you who will be attending Berkeley. It's an amazing university and you will not regret it. :)

pickedboalt

New

Post by pickedboalt » Tue May 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Hi, new to TLS. Anyone looking for a roommate yet?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Wed May 04, 2011 6:45 pm

I've basically broken my TLS addiction but just wanted to check in here now I've made a final decision. Excited to be in the Bay next year and looking forward to meeting you all.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:33 pm

jtemp320 wrote:I've basically broken my TLS addiction but just wanted to check in here now I've made a final decision. Excited to be in the Bay next year and looking forward to meeting you all.
Congrats! Looks like you had some really tough decisions. Congrats on an excellent cycle, and I have a feeling we will be quite happy in Berkeley :)

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Thu May 05, 2011 7:56 pm

fish52 wrote:
jtemp320 wrote:I've basically broken my TLS addiction but just wanted to check in here now I've made a final decision. Excited to be in the Bay next year and looking forward to meeting you all.
Congrats! Looks like you had some really tough decisions. Congrats on an excellent cycle, and I have a feeling we will be quite happy in Berkeley :)
Thanks! I was blessed with tough decisions and probably made them tougher then most people would have with all my agonizing - in the end I'm glad everything worked out the way it did really looking forward to Berkeley.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:05 pm

I got an email from Berkeley last night rescinding the need-based aid offer made to me over a month ago. They said that after "recalculating" my level of need after I updated FAFSA, I no longer qualify for ANY money. This is absolutely absurd, considering the net salary of myself and my parents combined doesn't come anywhere close to covering a year a Berkeley- and I didn't make any substantial changes to FAFSA. How horribly unethical is it to rescind an offer AFTER the deadline to accept scholarships/aid elsewhere? Is this a standard practice for Berkeley? :evil:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri May 06, 2011 12:27 pm

fish52 wrote:I got an email from Berkeley last night rescinding the need-based aid offer made to me over a month ago. They said that after "recalculating" my level of need after I updated FAFSA, I no longer qualify for ANY money. This is absolutely absurd, considering the net salary of myself and my parents combined doesn't come anywhere close to covering a year a Berkeley- and I didn't make any substantial changes to FAFSA. How horribly unethical is it to rescind an offer AFTER the deadline to accept scholarships/aid elsewhere? Is this a standard practice for Berkeley? :evil:
Wow that is absurd, after you declined other offers. Sorry! Did you call to plead your case, especially if you turned down scholarships elsewhere. Best of luck!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:49 pm

r6_philly wrote:
fish52 wrote:I got an email from Berkeley last night rescinding the need-based aid offer made to me over a month ago. They said that after "recalculating" my level of need after I updated FAFSA, I no longer qualify for ANY money. This is absolutely absurd, considering the net salary of myself and my parents combined doesn't come anywhere close to covering a year a Berkeley- and I didn't make any substantial changes to FAFSA. How horribly unethical is it to rescind an offer AFTER the deadline to accept scholarships/aid elsewhere? Is this a standard practice for Berkeley? :evil:
Wow that is absurd, after you declined other offers. Sorry! Did you call to plead your case, especially if you turned down scholarships elsewhere. Best of luck!
Thanks. I'm in contact with the FinAid office, so I won't comment on it too much more for now. Let's hope for my sake, and for the sake of Boalt, that they decide to reinstate the initial offer on which I had relied in turning down other scholarships/aid packages elsewhere. It could end up costing them quite a bit more than the initial offer if they want to make this difficult. It's a shame that financial aid offices engage in such questionable practices, to the detriment of students. ie: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... rants.html
Last edited by fish52 on Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:56 pm

jtemp320

Bronze

Post by jtemp320 » Fri May 06, 2011 3:00 pm

fish52 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Thanks. I'm in contact with the FinAid office and an attorney right now, so I won't comment on it too much more for now. Let's hope for my sake, and for the sake of Boalt, that they decide to reinstate the initial offer on which I had relied in turning down other scholarships/aid packages elsewhere. It could end up costing them quite a bit more than the initial offer if they want to make this difficult. It's a shame that financial aid offices engage in such questionable practices, to the detriment of students. ie: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... rants.html

I dealt with many many law school fin aid and admissions offices and Berkeley was about as nice acsessbile and fair as it got (just my experience). I am so sorry to hear about your grant issue and I hope everything works out for you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Fri May 06, 2011 5:42 pm

fish52 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Thanks. I'm in contact with the FinAid office, so I won't comment on it too much more for now. Let's hope for my sake, and for the sake of Boalt, that they decide to reinstate the initial offer on which I had relied in turning down other scholarships/aid packages elsewhere. It could end up costing them quite a bit more than the initial offer if they want to make this difficult. It's a shame that financial aid offices engage in such questionable practices, to the detriment of students. ie: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/01/busin ... rants.html
Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you are stressing right now :( . I'm curious, when you say you updated your FAFSA, I'm guessing you mean you actually had new information to include in your FAFSA, right? I'm curious because I was selected for verification and had to fill out a couple additional forms plus submit my tax docs, and I would flip out if they revoked my need-based aid . . .

I hope everything works out for you.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri May 06, 2011 7:41 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:
fish52 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
Sorry to hear about this. I'm sure you are stressing right now :( . I'm curious, when you say you updated your FAFSA, I'm guessing you mean you actually had new information to include in your FAFSA, right? I'm curious because I was selected for verification and had to fill out a couple additional forms plus submit my tax docs, and I would flip out if they revoked my need-based aid . . .

I hope everything works out for you.
I was absolutely stressing out. I just received an email from the FinAid office, they have decided to reinstate the grant for next year. Hopefully they have learned to add the disclaimer to award offers that changes to FAFSA will be reflected in changes to the aid offer (OR, they should wait for the finalized FAFSA information before extending offers). That way, students are aware that award offers are not final.

By "updated FAFSA," I mean that I originally filed my FAFSA forms before I had filed my taxes, so the numbers were mostly estimates. After I received my tax information I updated the FAFSA form (which it says you are supposed to do) and evidently the new numbers disqualified me from aid (I have no idea how the numbers could have changed so significantly).

Boalt has definitely redeemed itself to me by deciding to uphold my original grant offer for next year. I'm glad that it was resolved in this manner, and other avenues of reconciliation did not have to be pursued.

Also, I love Boalt. I don't know that most FinAid offices would have handled this as kindly, quickly and with the degree of dignity that Boalt did.

samueljose

New

Post by samueljose » Sat May 07, 2011 1:41 am

Congratulations on that working out for you. From my own experience, I have nothing but good things to say about the financial aid office. One thing that really stood out to me during admitted student weekend was the talk given by the dean of financial aid during the paying for law school session. Although many students were complaining about the speech being depressing and somber, I found it honest, and commendable that he went up there and told us to really evaluate our decision to pursue a legal career in light of the significant costs associated with the degree. I did not attend any other admitted student day (UCB was my first choice) but I don't know how many other financial aid directors would be so forthcoming.

On another note, I am really excited to begin this fall and I look forward to learning from all of you. Go Bears! And Sun Devils! (got to remember the alma mater)

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat May 07, 2011 2:18 am

If you guys get any weird e-mails from financial aid, follow up with them and ask a lot of questions. I'm not sure if they hired some new people or something weird is going on (someone told me they're changing the way grants and scholarships are disbursed) but lately they've been sending out an email and then changing their minds about whatever they said. I've had mass confusion getting a research grant for the summer. Basically if they tell you your grant is gone or something weird, don't give up and just try and talk with them. It might just be a massive miscommunication.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feeblemiles

Bronze

Post by feeblemiles » Tue May 17, 2011 11:08 am

Hey guys, I haven't posted much on TLS (broke my addiction a long time ago) but am a rising 3L and want to wish everyone heading to Berkeley a big congratulations. They just opened up the new building last week for a preview after graduation and it is AMAZING. You'll never really know what you were missing, but the school is about to get way nicer than it was during ASW.

Also, if anyone is still looking for summer housing. I just found out about a flexible and affordable option for this summer in a mansion in the hills above campus. Move in ASAP and out as late as mid-August. ~$800 per month. Send me a personal message if you're interested.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Tue May 17, 2011 4:49 pm

Anyone hear anything yet about Law Preview scholarships?

madison12991

New

Post by madison12991 » Fri May 20, 2011 7:17 pm

Hey all, I just finished my 2L year at Berkeley and I'm moving to the East Coast in August for a joint degree program. If you are interested in a room in North Berkeley, right around the corner from the Rose Garden, for $850/month let me know. It's not super close to the law school, but the price is right and it's got a lot of perks: right around the corner from the 65 bus, garden, porch (you can grill!), washer/dryer, etc. You'll have your own room in a big house with five housemates --none of them law students, which in my mind is a huge advantage -- who are all cool.

Message me if you're interested!

clevermoose

New

Post by clevermoose » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:25 pm

just got in on the waitlist and am now looking for housing to attend my dream school!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”