UC Berkeley Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Blindc1rca

Bronze

Re: UC Berkeley Class of 2014

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:19 pm

Berkeley has been my dream school since I was 10 years old. I sent in my matching scholarship application a few weeks ago... still waiting on a response. If I go to Berkeley it will be over at least NYU, Penn (with possible $$$$), Michigan $, Duke $$, and Northwestern $$$.

Someone tell me that I'd be making the right decision!

I want NorCal and I want PI. $$-wise if Berkeley doesn't come back with an offer my heart would still be there. I don't know what I'd do. Aaagh. I got 9k/yr need-based at UCLA... does that bode well for Berkeley? I'm @ both 75ths, but I'm sure that won't matter...

Berkeley please give me some merit $ I love you forever.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:21 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:Berkeley has been my dream school since I was 10 years old. I sent in my matching scholarship application a few weeks ago... still waiting on a response. If I go to Berkeley it will be over at least NYU, Penn (with possible $$$$), Michigan $, Duke $$, and Northwestern $$$.

I want NorCal and I want PI. $$-wise if Berkeley doesn't come back with an offer my heart would still be there. I don't know what I'd do. Aaagh. I got 9k/yr need-based at UCLA... does that bode well for Berkeley? I'm @ both 75ths, but I'm sure that won't matter...

I have to imagine you'll at least get some need-based from Cal if you got it from UCLA.

Blindc1rca

Bronze

Post by Blindc1rca » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:36 pm

yea...but still...9k/year vs. the other options. At least I have no UG debt. I keep telling myself that the pros of being in the Bay, where I want to work, at one of the best programs for PubInt/EnviroLaw outweighs my other money offers to some extent... but who am I kidding?? Why do I have to love Berkeley so much???

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:40 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:yea...but still...9k/year vs. the other options. At least I have no UG debt. I keep telling myself that the pros of being in the Bay, where I want to work, at one of the best programs for PubInt/EnviroLaw outweighs my other money offers to some extent... but who am I kidding?? Why do I have to love Berkeley so much???
I'm facing pretty much the same crisis of conscience. Won't make a decision until I visit, that's for sure.

BackToTheOldHouse

Silver

Post by BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:41 pm

Blindc1rca wrote:yea...but still...9k/year vs. the other options. At least I have no UG debt. I keep telling myself that the pros of being in the Bay, where I want to work, at one of the best programs for PubInt/EnviroLaw outweighs my other money offers to some extent... but who am I kidding?? Why do I have to love Berkeley so much???
Do you have a low EFC? Don't feel obligated to answer if you feel it's TMI. I ask because I think this might end up having an impact on one's need-based aid award . . .

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:43 am

Blindc1rca wrote:Berkeley has been my dream school since I was 10 years old. I sent in my matching scholarship application a few weeks ago... still waiting on a response. If I go to Berkeley it will be over at least NYU, Penn (with possible $$$$), Michigan $, Duke $$, and Northwestern $$$.

If you're doing PI, you have LRAP anyway, so you could potentially never pay a penny on your loans. If you aren't sure that you want to do PI, then taking Penn with $$$ seems like the safer choice.

But, if you are sure that you want to do PI and you think you can live by the LRAP requirements, I think Berkeley would be an obvious choice for you. Aside from NYU, none of those other schools even come close to Boalt's PI street cred. And Bay Area >>> NYC. But, I have a feeling that ASW will help you (all of us) make up your (our) minds.

santisuk

New

Post by santisuk » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:35 am

Just checking in. I'm 99% sure about Berkeley-- attending ASW for that last 1%. This was a total surprise acceptance and my dream school so I'd be an idiot to turn it down. Also planning on PI and banking on that LRAP (since my numebrs are near the bottom of the class and have no shot at scholarships). Got some great money from other schools but this seems like an investment worth making.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 1:13 pm

Why is Berkeley such a great school, Dean Tom, the location, the atmosphere, the scholarship.... I just love this school. Sucks I have to withdraw :( .

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:12 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Why is Berkeley such a great school, Dean Tom, the location, the atmosphere, the scholarship.... I just love this school. Sucks I have to withdraw :( .
lucky you! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:16 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:Why is Berkeley such a great school, Dean Tom, the location, the atmosphere, the scholarship.... I just love this school. Sucks I have to withdraw :( .
You don't HAVE to!

Seriously tho, best of wishes and I'm sure Berkeley would have been the better to have you.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 2:42 pm

pkt63 wrote:
You don't HAVE to!

Seriously tho, best of wishes and I'm sure Berkeley would have been the better to have you.
See even the people going to Berkeley rock. This is the best thread with the most down to earth, cool people on this site. I've asked current Berkeley students things about the school and they go out of their way to help me. One guy did some substantial research (including calling people) just to answer a hypothetical question I asked. Dean Tom does a great job of assembling a class full of intelligent as well as great people.

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:16 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
pkt63 wrote:
You don't HAVE to!

See even the people going to Berkeley rock. This is the best thread with the most down to earth, cool people on this site. I've asked current Berkeley students things about the school and they go out of their way to help me. One guy did some substantial research (including calling people) just to answer a hypothetical question I asked. Dean Tom does a great job of assembling a class full of intelligent as well as great people.
You can always do your 3L at Boalt as one of the few HLS/Boalt exchange students!

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:21 am

Hey future Boalties,

I'm here both to tell you that you totally should come to Berkeley, and to try and convince you to live in i-house. It's across the street, meals are provided. No buying furniture, cooking, dealing with landlords, utilities, or any of that stuff. It's about half undergraduate/half graduate and half international/half American students.

Really, the best part about living here is the social scene. You get to meet other graduate students, and Berkeley has lots of brilliant, cool people in other fields that you otherwise wouldn't meet. A lot of the law students here also begin really close friendships. It's a lot like a small family that helps you keep your sanity, especially during 1L year. For anybody interested in working abroad and making friends with connections in other countries or if you just want a network of free places to stay when you try and make your way through Europe spending $20 a day, it's fantastic for meeting people for those purposes, too.

For admitted students day, some of the law students in i-house are going to try and give people a tour and maybe swipe some people in for a free meal if you're interested in living here. I'll post more details later. We can't get 100 of you in for free meals though, so if you're interested in living here and want to come check it out, it's probably best to send me a PM.

For anyone who wants to find out more about costs/food, the website is http://www.ihouse.berkeley.edu.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

pkt63

Bronze

Post by pkt63 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:05 pm

Very excited to see the more detailed agenda for ASW. The only disappointment is the breakout sessions. I want to go to at least two of the sessions for each time slot...

fish52

Bronze

Post by fish52 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:32 am

pkt63 wrote:Very excited to see the more detailed agenda for ASW. The only disappointment is the breakout sessions. I want to go to at least two of the sessions for each time slot...
I think some of them (at least the FinAid session) will be video taped and put up on the ASW.

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:28 pm

So.... are we planning anything bar review-like but on friday or saturday evenings? If not, we should.

cheers

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:29 pm

clone22 wrote:So.... are we planning anything bar review-like but on friday or saturday evenings? If not, we should.

cheers
Friday! I plan to leave out Sat evening, a lot of other people might as well.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

clone22

Bronze

Post by clone22 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:39 pm

r6_philly wrote:
clone22 wrote:So.... are we planning anything bar review-like but on friday or saturday evenings? If not, we should.

cheers
Friday! I plan to leave out Sat evening, a lot of other people might as well.
Let's do it. Alternatively, the ASW schedule now shows that there will be party-type events both friday and saturday nights.

r6, I just recognized you on the fb group.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:48 pm

clone22 wrote:
r6_philly wrote: Let's do it. Alternatively, the ASW schedule now shows that there will be party-type events both friday and saturday nights.

r6, I just recognized you on the fb group.
:D you didn't recognized me :lol:

Now if I can just figure out a way to recognize you and everyone else!

Shaggier1

Silver

Post by Shaggier1 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:45 pm

So.... are we planning anything bar review-like but on friday or saturday evenings? If not, we should.

cheers
I am pretty sure there are parties planned both nights. Word should spread, but if you don't hear anything, just ask current students are the activities fair

Jureyes82

New

Post by Jureyes82 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:58 am

Hi Everyone!
I've also been accepted to Berkeley recently. I was very surprised as it was quite a reach for me. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend ASW because I'm currently in Europe. I hope everyone had a great time and I'm excited to meet folks soon!

Have any of you started talking about housing? I know it's quite early to look. Also, I was trying to find the Facebook group for our class, but was unable to find it. Have any of you joined?

Thanks,
jeAnne

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:58 pm

FB:

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 2887515635

There are a few people talking housing there.

Tanicius

Gold

Post by Tanicius » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:07 pm

Well, I'm coming. See you all in August!

Kiwi917

Bronze

Post by Kiwi917 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:04 pm

Cycle over - excited to finally join this thread. Can't wait to meet everyone in August!

jinxmelucky22

New

Post by jinxmelucky22 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:59 am

how do I get into the berkeley 2014 fb page? It says 'closed group' and I want in! I want to find some other single ladies cuz I won't know anyone when I move out there.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”