William & Mary c/o 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
justadude55

Silver

Re: William & Mary c/o 2014

Post by justadude55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:26 pm

did everyone who got in apply to w&l. do u think it could potentially help u get a bigger scholarship? i know w&m is slightly higher, but do they match offers?

please don't quote.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:31 pm

I didn't apply to w&l because I knew I preferred w&m and thought their admit standards were pretty similar. Now I wish I would have for just the reason you mentioned. Oh well.

justadude55

Silver

Post by justadude55 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:45 pm

u can still.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:53 pm

I got into W & M but WL at Washington and Lee so ... haha.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:55 pm

justadude55 wrote:u can still.
Of course. But im not going to. Im so over the applications.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Snoring Meatball

Bronze

Post by Snoring Meatball » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:47 pm

I was accepted to W&L. I was pretty surprised to get any scholarship, so I'm not really inclined to battle for a bigger one.

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 29, 2010 1:29 pm

I finally got my admit packet, and was given the OOS "halfish-ride" deal--$15,000/yr renewable. Not a bad offer by any means.

bluebird22

New

Post by bluebird22 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:07 pm

Snoring Meatball wrote:Bluebird, thanks for the apartment info. Those look beautiful though and I have a dog who will come visit from time to time. I assume that people who live there drive to campus every day? Is that right? Is there parking available?
Yea! We have our own parking lot. Parking passes are pretty pricey at about $300 but its nice to never have to search for a spot.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:08 pm

Can anyone figure out why a lot of houses in Williamsburg don't have fences? I mean some do, but a lot of the ones I'm looking at on MLS don't have fences. Is it a property zoning thing? Do people just not want them? We have them all over in Texas so this is odd to me.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:50 pm

brose wrote:Can anyone figure out why a lot of houses in Williamsburg don't have fences? I mean some do, but a lot of the ones I'm looking at on MLS don't have fences. Is it a property zoning thing? Do people just not want them? We have them all over in Texas so this is odd to me.
I think its a southern thing. I don't have an explanation, maybe makes it feel more open? I live ib AZ and everyone would think you were a weirdo if you didn't have a fence, but it seems like in the south its just the opposite.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:17 pm

Yeah I even researched the zoning of specific houses t and there's nothing about fences being prohibited. I just worry about my dog because she's not afraid of cars and I'd love for her to have a doggy door and enter and exit the house as she pleases... Just an interesting thing to me to not have a fence!
Last edited by brose on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thelaststraw05

Silver

Post by thelaststraw05 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:21 pm

I think a lot of people have fenced in back yards, but unfenced front yards.

Snoring Meatball

Bronze

Post by Snoring Meatball » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:31 pm

bluebird22 wrote:Yea! We have our own parking lot. Parking passes are pretty pricey at about $300 but its nice to never have to search for a spot.
That's great. My undergrad had one parking lot seriously miles away from the heart of campus. Nice to know that I'll be able to expand the housing search a bit. $300 per semester or year? I don't really know why I'm asking-- if I end up in one of those complexes, I'll obviously be driving...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

soxfan08

New

Post by soxfan08 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:34 pm

It's $300 for the full year, and there definitely is plenty of room.
-WM 2L

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:51 pm

300 is half the price of my undergrads parking... And that parking was in garages nowhere near classes. Oh UT.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 12:18 am

Do you find many law students who have their own apartment or do most share?
I'm sure there is a mix but wondered what you see the most.

Bluebird, how close are the apartments you mentioned to the law school?

bluebird22

New

Post by bluebird22 » Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:37 pm

Emma1 wrote:Do you find many law students who have their own apartment or do most share?
I'm sure there is a mix but wondered what you see the most.

Bluebird, how close are the apartments you mentioned to the law school?
Emma,

When I was first looking for houses and apartments, I really wanted to live alone. I just couldn't find anything in my price range. Most 1 bedrooms seemed to run btw 800 and 1400 per month. While a few people do live alone, I think most people have roommates or they live with their significant other. I found my roommates at Admitted Students Weekend. As for the apartments, New Town and Steeplechase are about 3 miles away, with traffic it takes about 15 minutes to get to school. I think Sterling Manor is only 10 minute drive or so.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

runnergirl89

New

Post by runnergirl89 » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 pm

WM is high on my list but am still waiting on others.

BlakcMajikc

Silver

Post by BlakcMajikc » Mon Dec 13, 2010 7:47 pm

In at W&M and W&L and waiting on about 14 others....

We all have pretty specific interests with housing.... my first thought fortunately wasn't the fenced-inn yard, but I need a hella spacious 1 bedroom apt.

I haven't gotten a chance to visit. I was hoping W&M would pay for one (like W&L), but I will probably attend admitted students weekend and either stay for an extra day or come a day early.

Anyone hear any negatives about the school?

tlsuser

New

Post by tlsuser » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:41 pm

I see a lot of people talking about getting apartments/living off-campus; am I the only one interested in living on-campus in grad student housing?

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:15 pm

tlsuser wrote:I see a lot of people talking about getting apartments/living off-campus; am I the only one interested in living on-campus in grad student housing?
If I end up at W&M, I might choose the Gradplex. I figure it might make things simpler during 1L if I just live on campus...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

RPK34

Silver

Post by RPK34 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:20 am

tttlllsss wrote:
tlsuser wrote:I see a lot of people talking about getting apartments/living off-campus; am I the only one interested in living on-campus in grad student housing?
If I end up at W&M, I might choose the Gradplex. I figure it might make things simpler during 1L if I just live on campus...
I'm leaning towards it, if I go. Gradplex is cheap and really convenient. Literally right next to the law school/library is a huge plus.

Capitol A

Silver

Post by Capitol A » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:44 am

To those of you who have lived in the area or know the area well, does anyone have a realtor they know/trust?
I need to rent a house, and I've been looking at the link from the admitted students site, which has a lot of listings, but I'm not having much luck getting the realtors to call me back. Any suggesstions would be really helpful.

bluebird22

New

Post by bluebird22 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:56 am

Hey guys!

Congrats on getting admitted! I don't live in the gradplex but I have been in it a couple times so I will offer what limited insight I have. The gradplex is wonderful because it is not even a 5 minute walk to school/library. It's also nice because you don't have to live there in the summer, so if you get a job in a different city, you won't be paying double rent (although some apartment complexes do offer 10 month leases). Plus, you don't have to pay utilities (I think) so that's awesome.

Despite these pros, there are a number of cons that kept me away from living there. First, you don't really have any say in who you live with. You just kinda get assigned based on availability. This can be a good thing because you may get to meet people in other grad programs. However, some of the students you may be rooming with are international. This is usually great but you will have to deal with time change issues. One of my friends has a roommate who is always on the phone really late or really early because he is talking to friends or family in China, so he has a hard time sleeping. They also are really old. If you come on the tour they show you a pretty nice apartment but in reality, the furniture looks like it is straight out of the 70's.

I guess my deciding factor was that I lived pretty close to campus in undergrad so in LS, I just wanted a place I could call home and that I could go to to get away from school. I hope this helps! Happy New Year!!

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Fri Dec 31, 2010 12:21 pm

bluebird22 wrote:Hey guys!

Congrats on getting admitted! I don't live in the gradplex but I have been in it a couple times so I will offer what limited insight I have. The gradplex is wonderful because it is not even a 5 minute walk to school/library. It's also nice because you don't have to live there in the summer, so if you get a job in a different city, you won't be paying double rent (although some apartment complexes do offer 10 month leases). Plus, you don't have to pay utilities (I think) so that's awesome.

Despite these pros, there are a number of cons that kept me away from living there. First, you don't really have any say in who you live with. You just kinda get assigned based on availability. This can be a good thing because you may get to meet people in other grad programs. However, some of the students you may be rooming with are international. This is usually great but you will have to deal with time change issues. One of my friends has a roommate who is always on the phone really late or really early because he is talking to friends or family in China, so he has a hard time sleeping. They also are really old. If you come on the tour they show you a pretty nice apartment but in reality, the furniture looks like it is straight out of the 70's.

I guess my deciding factor was that I lived pretty close to campus in undergrad so in LS, I just wanted a place I could call home and that I could go to to get away from school. I hope this helps! Happy New Year!!
Wait - so they don't necessarily pair law students w/ law students?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”