Fordham Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
OnceUponAMemo
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:03 pm

katie96 wrote:Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!


Gem and NYC Law were pretty spot on with their responses above. I'm almost surprised to hear that 40% of students get aid and I'm curious if that is merit only or total need based + merit scholarships. Overally, it felt that the majority of people were paying full price or very close to it.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:40 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:I can't find mine :shock: I hope it's because they didn't put up the evening students as of yet.....


Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. But I'm evening and mine's posted. There's a little step by step above for how to find it. My first try didn't show anything but I went about it differently and did find it.


I just found my section 11, but no schedule uggh!

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby JenDarby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:57 pm

OnceUponAMemo wrote:
katie96 wrote:Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!


Gem and NYC Law were pretty spot on with their responses above. I'm almost surprised to hear that 40% of students get aid and I'm curious if that is merit only or total need based + merit scholarships. Overally, it felt that the majority of people were paying full price or very close to it.

These responses make me feel greedy for trying to get more money, multiple times out of Fordham. Where other schools increased my merit aid just by finding out I had deposited multiple places, Fordham turned all my negotiations down. I suppose I should be grateful for what I received.

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby JenDarby » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:01 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:
blacklawboss wrote:I can't find mine :shock: I hope it's because they didn't put up the evening students as of yet.....


Sorry to be a Debbie Downer. But I'm evening and mine's posted. There's a little step by step above for how to find it. My first try didn't show anything but I went about it differently and did find it.

Mine is NOT posted yet for the record (and yes, I know exactly where to go). They weren't supposed to be up until Monday so I'm sure it's just a process.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby Gemini » Fri Aug 12, 2011 2:03 pm

JenDarby wrote:Mine is NOT posted yet for the record (and yes, I know exactly where to go). They weren't supposed to be up until Monday so I'm sure it's just a process.


:(

OnceUponAMemo
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Fri Aug 12, 2011 3:23 pm

JenDarby wrote:
OnceUponAMemo wrote:
katie96 wrote:Hi guys - congrats to all the incoming 1Ls at Fordham :D I am applying this cycle & am wondering if most of you are attending at sticker, because I hear Fordham is pretty stingy with money (not to bash the school at all, they just do not have a lot of it to give, from what I understand). I'm curious because with my numbers & desire to be in NYC, Fordham seems like a good match. Thanks!


Gem and NYC Law were pretty spot on with their responses above. I'm almost surprised to hear that 40% of students get aid and I'm curious if that is merit only or total need based + merit scholarships. Overally, it felt that the majority of people were paying full price or very close to it.

These responses make me feel greedy for trying to get more money, multiple times out of Fordham. Where other schools increased my merit aid just by finding out I had deposited multiple places, Fordham turned all my negotiations down. I suppose I should be grateful for what I received.


I dunno, at least you tried. I was an idiot for not trying (and not discovering TLS until later) and I think they may have offered more if I had tried to leverage higher ranked acceptances I had no interest in attending. I've talked to a few people this year who just asked and did receive something extra, even if it was minor, maybe an extra 2.5k/yr. I think they applied pretty early on though so that may have played into it.

knicks1234
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby knicks1234 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:29 pm

I was going to order my textbooks off Amazon the other day, but on the Fordham website it recommended waiting until your professors start posting their syllabi online. Anyone have any insight on whether it is really necessary to wait?

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby Gemini » Sat Aug 13, 2011 8:06 pm

knicks1234 wrote:I was going to order my textbooks off Amazon the other day, but on the Fordham website it recommended waiting until your professors start posting their syllabi online. Anyone have any insight on whether it is really necessary to wait?


I really, really hope that's not true. I've bought most of mine already.

OnceUponAMemo
Posts: 138
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 4:25 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby OnceUponAMemo » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:49 am

Gemini wrote:
knicks1234 wrote:I was going to order my textbooks off Amazon the other day, but on the Fordham website it recommended waiting until your professors start posting their syllabi online. Anyone have any insight on whether it is really necessary to wait?


I really, really hope that's not true. I've bought most of mine already.


I saw this same line last year that we should wait and think its bogus/an attempt to get you to buy books from the bookstore. We asked why during orientation and the response was you might not be in that class. But really, everything was final except for legal writing. Your legal writing teacher might change also as I think for each section, everyone has the same teacher listed, but the legal writing class is capped at 18 people so there are 2 teachers for each section. I still bought my books off amazon for cheap ahead of time and would recommend others do as well. I also bought all new books thinking I wouldn't want someone else's notes and wanted to have it all be my own. This was dumb though and a waste of money. You can usually find used books with very little markings that are a lot cheaper.

jrock12
Posts: 265
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:47 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby jrock12 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 10:03 am

Just throwing this out there in case anyone has any interest--I'm looking to sell a bunch of my old casebooks/supplements. I purchased all of the below books new. My 1LE year (Property, Crim Law, Torts, Contracts) I underlined in casebooks with a pencil. My 2LE (Civ Pro, Con Law, Corporations) I highlighted. I did not brief cases/take notes in the margins. All of the supplements have no markings in them, and are in/pretty close to new condition.

PM me if interested. Prices are very very negotiable.

Legal Research/Writing
Plain English for Lawyers (Fifth Edition)
Basic Legal Research (Fourth Edition)
Legal Reasoning and Legal Writing (Sixth Edition)

Criminal Law
Criminal Law Casebook (Dressler - Fourth Edition)
Crim Law E&E (Fourth Edition, Singer and la Fond)
High Court Case Summaries - Criminal Law (Keyed to Dressler's Casebook)

Torts
Torts Casebook (Goldberg, Sebok, Zipursky - Second Edition)
Torts E&E (Third Edition, Glannon)

Contracts
Contracts Casebook (Calamari, Perillo, Bender - Fifth Edition)
Contracts Hornbook (Perillo - Sixth Edition)
Black Letter Outlines - Contracts (Calamari and Perillo—very useful if have Bender--I found this to be much more useful/easier to follow than the hornbook, and its authored by the same professors as the casebook/hornbook)
Legalines - Contracts (Keyed to Calamari's Casebook)
High Court Case Summaries - Contracts (Keyed to Fuller's Casebook)

Property
Property Casebook (Dukeminier - Sixth Edition)
Gilbert's Property (Krier--This is in pretty poor condition--purchased used from Amazon)
High Court Case Summaries - Property (Keyed to Dukeminier's Casebook)

Constitutional Law
Constitutional Law Casebook (Rotunda - Ninth Edition)
Constitutional Law Treatise (Chemerinksy - Third Edition - This is a must have for ConLaw--If I could do it all over again, I would not have bought/read the casebook at all and would have just used this for the class)
Casenote Legal Briefs - Constitutional Law (Keyed to Rotunda)
Emannual Crunchtime - Constitutional Law

Civil Procedure
Civil Procedure Casebook (Marcus, Redish - Fifth Edition)
Civil Procedure E&E (Glannon - Sixth Edition--excellent supplement for CivPro)

Corporations
Business Associations (Klein, Ramseyer, and Bainbridge - Seventh Edition)

NY Criminal Procedure
NY Pretrial Criminal Procedure (Marks - Second Edition)

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby blacklawboss » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:17 pm

Just joined New York sports club I hope I won't hate it.

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby LS-boundNYC » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:58 pm

Has anyone had syllabi posted yet? One of mine bans laptops during class! I would so prefer to type notes than to write them. :evil:

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby blacklawboss » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:08 am

To rent, buy, or used? what's the consensus?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby JenDarby » Fri Aug 19, 2011 11:52 am

blacklawboss wrote:To rent, buy, or used? what's the consensus?

I went with new for the first semester, shopped around online and found "good" deals compared to the bookstore. I figure I can see how I manage without a book with highlighting etc and go from there for the next semesters.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby Gemini » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:47 pm

Just gotta do a PSA of how much I <3 blacklawboss. That is all. :mrgreen:

mezzoitaliano702
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:32 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby mezzoitaliano702 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:13 pm

LS-boundNYC wrote:Has anyone had syllabi posted yet? One of mine bans laptops during class! I would so prefer to type notes than to write them. :evil:


where did you find the syllabi? where were they posted?

LS-boundNYC
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:58 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby LS-boundNYC » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:03 pm

mezzoitaliano702 wrote:
LS-boundNYC wrote:Has anyone had syllabi posted yet? One of mine bans laptops during class! I would so prefer to type notes than to write them. :evil:


where did you find the syllabi? where were they posted?


Right here: --LinkRemoved--

There only seem to be a few up, though.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby MrAnon » Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:09 pm

knicks1234 wrote:I was going to order my textbooks off Amazon the other day, but on the Fordham website it recommended waiting until your professors start posting their syllabi online. Anyone have any insight on whether it is really necessary to wait?


Total bookstore scam. Buy the books on amazon, preferably used.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby NYC Law » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:03 pm

MrAnon wrote:
knicks1234 wrote:I was going to order my textbooks off Amazon the other day, but on the Fordham website it recommended waiting until your professors start posting their syllabi online. Anyone have any insight on whether it is really necessary to wait?


Total bookstore scam. Buy the books on amazon, preferably used.


This.

Does the bookstore do deferments? I think I still might just get them there since online prices have gone up anyway, and I dont want to risk getting the books late.

User avatar
nicole88
Posts: 118
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 7:50 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby nicole88 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:23 pm

I ordered mine on Barnes and Noble, it was cheaper than the bookstore and even Amazon. They came within one week.

User avatar
eaglemuncher
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby eaglemuncher » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:04 pm

I remember this was being discusses recently, so if anyone is interested, I was able to take a look at the McMahon Hall Gym today. It had a lot of machines. Only free weights were a few dumbells, probably no higher than 20 lbs. I think I am gonna have to join the NYSC, I really am not excited about paying $80 a month though.

User avatar
blacklawboss
Posts: 522
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:22 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby blacklawboss » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:41 am

eaglemuncher wrote:I remember this was being discusses recently, so if anyone is interested, I was able to take a look at the McMahon Hall Gym today. It had a lot of machines. Only free weights were a few dumbells, probably no higher than 20 lbs. I think I am gonna have to join the NYSC, I really am not excited about paying $80 a month though.


find someone with a corp rate. I pay 73 a month, not much difference, but every bit helps....As far as books, I'm renting from bookstore. Chegg doesn't have all of my books on their site, and after shipping its all the same

User avatar
eaglemuncher
Posts: 171
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 6:21 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby eaglemuncher » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 pm

So...how is everyone liking orientation?

User avatar
JenDarby
Posts: 13289
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby JenDarby » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:24 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:So...how is everyone liking orientation?

I would have liked it a lot more if I had left at 2.

User avatar
Gemini
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2010 9:23 pm

Re: Fordham Class of 2014

Postby Gemini » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:43 pm

JenDarby wrote:
eaglemuncher wrote:So...how is everyone liking orientation?

I would have liked it a lot more if I had left at 2.


This. Right after the tours would have been good.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest