Penn Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:00 am

sem5117 wrote:
Haha, I live in State College currently...second safest town in the U.S...thus why I am concerned.


Judging from the lack of safety alerts this semester, it is very safe on campus. There are parts of Philly that is very dangerous, but you should have no reason venturing into those areas. Ask a native before renting too far off campus.

sem5117
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby sem5117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:16 am

r6_philly wrote:
sem5117 wrote:
Haha, I live in State College currently...second safest town in the U.S...thus why I am concerned.


Judging from the lack of safety alerts this semester, it is very safe on campus. There are parts of Philly that is very dangerous, but you should have no reason venturing into those areas. Ask a native before renting too far off campus.


Thanks for all your advice. :D One more thing, when do you suggest starting to look for housing off-campus? Does it tend to fill up quickly?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:49 am

sem5117 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
sem5117 wrote:
Haha, I live in State College currently...second safest town in the U.S...thus why I am concerned.


Judging from the lack of safety alerts this semester, it is very safe on campus. There are parts of Philly that is very dangerous, but you should have no reason venturing into those areas. Ask a native before renting too far off campus.


Thanks for all your advice. :D One more thing, when do you suggest starting to look for housing off-campus? Does it tend to fill up quickly?


If you want to live where the other students do, yes the good/less costly ones fill up quickly. If you just want to be in the city, it isn't hard to find decent ones anytime partly because most out of town students don't know where to look other than the usual areas. It should be easier to find off-campus housing this coming year because they just reopened a bridge to center city after years of reconstruction so there are more area to choose from (some areas are too far before due to the bridge detour). So you can add Graduate Hospital area to your search. There are decent apartments to be had on Spruce/Pine/Lombard/South/Bambridge all the way down to front street if you don't mind not living right near campus. The new South Street made them all much more accessible.

Start looking now though, get an idea of how much and where you want to be. Make plans.

jjpp
Posts: 14
Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby jjpp » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:42 pm

In ED. So very happy.

sem5117
Posts: 30
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:57 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby sem5117 » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:55 pm

jjpp wrote:In ED. So very happy.


Congrats! :D

Cassius Sterling
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Cassius Sterling » Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:46 pm

Where do most of the law students live who come straight out of undergrad?

User avatar
achilles
Posts: 160
Joined: Mon Sep 20, 2010 2:08 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby achilles » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:31 pm

thanks so much r6, that was EXACTLY what I needed. I think I'll print out a map and highlight these areas. Do you happen to know where most of the law students live? I suppose that's more of a question for current law students. I think I'd rather live near the school or other law students since I don't know anyone in philly. And I'm still holding out hope that I can bring my car and find reasonable parking

User avatar
Dex
Posts: 93
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Dex » Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:54 pm

Popping in this thread to say hi.

I'm sure this will grow when the RD decisions start coming in.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:18 pm

achilles wrote:thanks so much r6, that was EXACTLY what I needed. I think I'll print out a map and highlight these areas. Do you happen to know where most of the law students live? I suppose that's more of a question for current law students. I think I'd rather live near the school or other law students since I don't know anyone in philly. And I'm still holding out hope that I can bring my car and find reasonable parking


One of the best part about Penn is that all the grad programs are so close to each other (with the same id you can go use resources in any Penn grad buildings). Our grad student center try very hard to run social programs for all the grad students. half of students in one of my classes are from other grad programs, and we socialize and become friends. 1L is a bit more insulated, but you can make friends outside of law school if you want. For 2L and onward, take some classes in other grad schools and you will make plenty of new friends, it's great for networking too.

As for car, on campus parking is very expensive, but there are some private lots you can rent within walking distance (5 blocks or so) so you can keep your car at a reasonable price. Philly center city is small enough that walk/shuttle/bus/train/cab is enough, but have a car is great if you want to go explore the surrounding area and go shopping. Prices are very high in the city but much more reasonable even just 10 minutes drive away, for everything. Or just make friends with natives :D

Cassius Sterling
Posts: 15
Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Cassius Sterling » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:15 pm

Does anyone know where I can buy a Penn Law sweatshirt? ...The bookstore website does not work well at all for law school apparel

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:07 pm

Cassius Sterling wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy a Penn Law sweatshirt? ...The bookstore website does not work well at all for law school apparel


They have them in the bookstore. I think in both gray and blue. There are 2 kinds of t shirts as well. Maybe you can call the book store and see if they can ship it for you if you can't go in person.

There are also other Penn Law stuff in the bookstore. Wharton and law get more school specific stuff. More Wharton though.

penn0Ler
Posts: 20
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby penn0Ler » Mon Dec 13, 2010 12:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Cassius Sterling wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy a Penn Law sweatshirt? ...The bookstore website does not work well at all for law school apparel


They have them in the bookstore. I think in both gray and blue. There are 2 kinds of t shirts as well. Maybe you can call the book store and see if they can ship it for you if you can't go in person.

There are also other Penn Law stuff in the bookstore. Wharton and law get more school specific stuff. More Wharton though.
r6_philly wrote:
Cassius Sterling wrote:Does anyone know where I can buy a Penn Law sweatshirt? ...The bookstore website does not work well at all for law school apparel


They have them in the bookstore. I think in both gray and blue. There are 2 kinds of t shirts as well. Maybe you can call the book store and see if they can ship it for you if you can't go in person.

There are also other Penn Law stuff in the bookstore. Wharton and law get more school specific stuff. More Wharton though.


Zazzle has hundreds of customizable Penn Law items. I bought a Penn Law jacket on here, and it came out great.

http://www.zazzle.com/pennlawstore

User avatar
mez06
Posts: 349
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby mez06 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:02 pm

In today by email :)

czelede
Posts: 689
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:54 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby czelede » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:44 pm

Also coming to say hi! I was admitted last Friday (RD) and will likely end up attending.

Some housing advice would be appreciate if any Philly dwellers have the time - I'm thinking I want to live in Center City, but as a female that will likely be living alone safety is a huge concern for me. I have a dog, which means I need to be walking her outside at least 30min to an hour everyday - obviously sometimes this will be after dark, in the winter. What areas would you recommend to stay in or away from? And is ASW early enough to start looking for apartments, or should I begin my hunt now?

r6, thanks so much for being so helpful in this thread thus far :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:49 pm

czelede wrote:Also coming to say hi! I was admitted last Friday (RD) and will likely end up attending.

Some housing advice would be appreciate if any Philly dwellers have the time - I'm thinking I want to live in Center City, but as a female that will likely be living alone safety is a huge concern for me. I have a dog, which means I need to be walking her outside at least 30min to an hour everyday - obviously sometimes this will be after dark, in the winter. What areas would you recommend to stay in or away from? And is ASW early enough to start looking for apartments, or should I begin my hunt now?

r6, thanks so much for being so helpful in this thread thus far :)


I think you want to look and get an idea on the area you want to live in so you can start to search for listings right after you decide to attend. I have single female classmates that live in center city, and anywhere in center city is pretty much safe, you just have to like the scene around each of the neighborhoods. Also getting a roommate/splitting an apartment may be good idea too.

There are lots of great choices around campus if you don't mind spending a bit more. But it's fairly cheap (even the costlier ones) compared to Berkeley and NYC.

Law school is at 34th and Walnut. Anywhere east all the way to the river but within 3-4 blocks N/S of walnut is safe. West I would go as far as 45-46th between Walnut and Baltimore. Maybe I will make a map and post it.

User avatar
wackyjack22
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby wackyjack22 » Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:48 pm

In on Friday and after a few days of research it looks like I'm heading to Philly! Has anyone started apartment hunting yet? I've looked at stuff online and have found a few things I like but I've recruited my parents to help me look during ASW in March. Will March be too late, though?

caneman13
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby caneman13 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:27 pm

wackyjack22 wrote:In on Friday and after a few days of research it looks like I'm heading to Philly! Has anyone started apartment hunting yet? I've looked at stuff online and have found a few things I like but I've recruited my parents to help me look during ASW in March. Will March be too late, though?


March won't be too late. When i got my apartment, they said the majority of the leases were going to become available in May, June, and July. So in March you could still look at those apartments whose leases have not yet ended.

User avatar
wackyjack22
Posts: 76
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby wackyjack22 » Mon Dec 27, 2010 1:32 am

caneman13 wrote:
wackyjack22 wrote:In on Friday and after a few days of research it looks like I'm heading to Philly! Has anyone started apartment hunting yet? I've looked at stuff online and have found a few things I like but I've recruited my parents to help me look during ASW in March. Will March be too late, though?


March won't be too late. When i got my apartment, they said the majority of the leases were going to become available in May, June, and July. So in March you could still look at those apartments whose leases have not yet ended.



This is great news! I want to look in March and hopefully move at the beginning of July. Something about the idea of having to settle into a big city after 20+ years in a city that is so small it doesn't sell alcohol (in California!) and gets mail on Sundays makes me think I might experience a bit of initial culture shock. 8 weeks should be plenty to squish this right? Haha.

User avatar
slax
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:01 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby slax » Thu Dec 30, 2010 4:49 pm

Made a facebook group. Feel free to join. There is a page too run by Penn students, but it's not great for seeing other members or chatting.

Group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 59179&ap=1

Page: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/page ... 8558769404

Happy new year!

glacierfrost
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby glacierfrost » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

Anyone visiting or will be in the area from 1/30-2/1?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:50 am

glacierfrost wrote:Anyone visiting or will be in the area from 1/30-2/1?


I am always in the area lol

glacierfrost
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:58 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby glacierfrost » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:47 am

Nice.....PM me if you'd be down to get a beer or something

rachellevick
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014 - Official Admitted Students Page

Postby rachellevick » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:16 pm

Hey all,
My name is Rachel Levick and I am the chair of Penn Law's Post-Acceptance Committee. We are tasked with facilitating the transition to Penn Law for recently accepted students. To aid in discussion and to create a forum for your questions and discussions, we have created a Facebook page for your class: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Penn-Law- ... 8558769404

Please "like" the page and join in the discussion! Any questions you may have, ranging from classes to Admitted Students Weekend and Preview Day to housing to the Socratic Method - all will be answered by current Penn Law students, who are members of the Post-Acceptance Committee.

Looking forward to hearing from you and meeting you all at Admitted Students Weekend or Preview Day!

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:09 pm

Checking in here

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:24 pm

bdubs wrote:Checking in here


Yay! Congrats! And join the super awesome FB group! :)




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest