Penn Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:40 pm

So...how about those scholarship rumors...

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:48 pm

TLSNYC wrote:So...how about those scholarship rumors...

For what it's worth, Penn seems to like to send emails after 4. The Levy emails went out just after 4 last Wednesday and in last year's thread, people reported getting financial aid emails at around 4:30 or so. So hold on to your hats guys! It could be coming in a little more than an hour!! please??????

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby TLSNYC » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:52 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:So...how about those scholarship rumors...

For what it's worth, Penn seems to like to send emails after 4. The Levy emails went out just after 4 last Wednesday and in last year's thread, people reported getting financial aid emails at around 4:30 or so. So hold on to your hats guys! It could be coming in a little more than an hour!! please??????


haha, I'm liking the optimism! Let's sure hope so...they've been stringing us along for a while. Penn is the only school that I am still waiting for finaid info from.

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:56 pm

TLSNYC wrote:
absolutazn87 wrote:
TLSNYC wrote:So...how about those scholarship rumors...

For what it's worth, Penn seems to like to send emails after 4. The Levy emails went out just after 4 last Wednesday and in last year's thread, people reported getting financial aid emails at around 4:30 or so. So hold on to your hats guys! It could be coming in a little more than an hour!! please??????


haha, I'm liking the optimism! Let's sure hope so...they've been stringing us along for a while. Penn is the only school that I am still waiting for finaid info from.

Yeah same! It's driving me a little crazy cuz the amount of $$ I can get from Penn basically is the only thing I still need to decide where I'm going this fall.

User avatar
Cpwilson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Cpwilson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:10 pm

This sucks. Penn is my first choice by a mile, but there's no way I'll be able to attend at sticker price, and it looks like that's what I'll have to pay. Does a 172/3.92 usually get money at Penn?

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:15 pm

Cpwilson wrote:This sucks. Penn is my first choice by a mile, but there's no way I'll be able to attend at sticker price, and it looks like that's what I'll have to pay. Does a 172/3.92 usually get money at Penn?

Yeah almost definitely! If you don't get $$, there's very little hope for the rest of us haha

User avatar
Cpwilson
Posts: 115
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Cpwilson » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:22 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:
Cpwilson wrote:This sucks. Penn is my first choice by a mile, but there's no way I'll be able to attend at sticker price, and it looks like that's what I'll have to pay. Does a 172/3.92 usually get money at Penn?

Yeah almost definitely! If you don't get $$, there's very little hope for the rest of us haha


Well I should also mention that my first score was a 163. TOTAL CHOKE.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby HeavenWood » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:16 pm

r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)


Friday night dinner thing?


Is that at a set location (or TBD)?

coveyellow
Posts: 38
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby coveyellow » Thu Mar 17, 2011 2:52 pm

They sent my financial aid decision to my dad's email address.... wtf?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:22 am

HeavenWood wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)


Friday night dinner thing?


Is that at a set location (or TBD)?


It's TBD I think you have choices, next week.

User avatar
jtemp320
Posts: 481
Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 6:27 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby jtemp320 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 2:52 pm

Just rearranged my flight, booked hotel etc all last minute but I will be at ASW!!! So excited!

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:04 pm

coveyellow wrote:They sent my financial aid decision to my dad's email address.... wtf?


Wait, that is insane.

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:15 pm

jtemp320 wrote:Just rearranged my flight, booked hotel etc all last minute but I will be at ASW!!! So excited!


Yay!

lolok
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:52 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby lolok » Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:11 pm

Just a heads up...I emailed Penn about matching UVAs scholarship offer and they said they won't be reconsidering any aid awards until the second week of April since they are still assessing the entire applicant pool for scholarship consideration. So I'd say people still waiting will hear for sure before then, if that's any consolation.

Looking forward to seeing everyone at ASW!

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby The Gentleman » Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:46 pm

I was just talking to my uncle about Penn... Here's a rough transcript of our conversation:

Uncle: "So you're visiting Penn next week?"
Me: "Ya! I'm really excited. It's my top choice so far!"
Uncle: "That's great! Happy Valley is in the middle of nowhere, but at least you can go to some Nittany Lions games! You might even meet Joe Paterno!"
Me: (Facepalm)

User avatar
khodorko
Posts: 90
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:56 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby khodorko » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:01 pm

Does anybody know how kind Penn is in terms of renegotiating scholarships from previous years?

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby law_monkey » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:12 pm

khodorko wrote:Does anybody know how kind Penn is in terms of renegotiating scholarships from previous years?


Apparently they're really adamant about the whole peer school/slightly better school thing. Basically CCN and maaayyyybe VM. Although they do say to send in all offers you're seriously considering, I think on TLS it looks like people have had better success with those schools.

User avatar
dabomb75
Posts: 376
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:56 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby dabomb75 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 pm

r6_philly wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:I'm really looking forward to visiting Philly and meeting everyone next week! Definitely count me in for Thursday night!

And do any TLSers have plans during the day on Thursday? (lunch or something?) I'm getting into Philly around noon, so I'll have some time to kill before the evening events start.


I told law monkey as well, I work at 2nd and Chestnut (old city) so I can take a late lunch around 1 or so, and we can go over to the school together. So take your pick at lunch venues.


I'm reaching town Wednesday morning to check out apartments and such so I can probably make a Thursday lunch if it's going down

texaskk
Posts: 158
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby texaskk » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Thought we'd see more movement on here post-ASW... Didn't make it out but would like to hear what other people thought!

User avatar
OutCold
Posts: 419
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 7:57 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby OutCold » Sun Mar 27, 2011 1:52 pm

texaskk wrote:Thought we'd see more movement on here post-ASW... Didn't make it out but would like to hear what other people thought!


http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147253&start=100 8)

4102011
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:00 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby 4102011 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:38 pm

And if you guys want to see pics: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&p=4221379#p4221379

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby absolutazn87 » Sun Mar 27, 2011 4:37 pm

More pics here too!!

Earlier pics of Penn with a lot more pics of the law school and the campus: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&start=350#p3920549

Pics from ASW of the lounge, law library, classrooms, and fisher fine arts library (gorgeousss): viewtopic.php?f=8&t=120572&start=575#p4223329

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:24 pm

These are some great pics and looking at them makes me all the more excited to be at Penn next year! I have a couple of quick questions, especially for current Penn students:

1. What does a typical 1L schedule look like? What are the periods in which classes are held, i.e. earliest class starts 9:05, etc Do students usually get to the law school building and end up sticking around all day?

2. How often do firm receptions or social events happen in Center City? How late do they generally last?

(I just want to get a feel for the different times that I need to be at school/CC, as I start to look at different housing options and their respective distances, etc)

3. Anyone can chime in here, I suppose: do you know if we can take loan money directly labeled for one purpose and use it for another, i.e. we get roughly 2700 for health insurance. I'm already covered under my parent's plan and was thinking of taking that money and using it to increase my monthly budget

4. Aside from rent, how much does a typical monthly budget run? Like 400-500 for food? 100-120 for transportation? (I'm wildly guessing here, so don't hold me to it.)

User avatar
Georgiana
Posts: 647
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Georgiana » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:42 pm

TLSNYC wrote:These are some great pics and looking at them makes me all the more excited to be at Penn next year! I have a couple of quick questions, especially for current Penn students:

1. What does a typical 1L schedule look like? What are the periods in which classes are held, i.e. earliest class starts 9:05, etc Do students usually get to the law school building and end up sticking around all day?

Earliest classes are at 9am and thats usually 3-4 days a week for 1Ls first semester. I don't realllly remember when the latest 1L classes are but I think they're generally done by 4:30 or 5. You'll have 12 substantive class meetings per week (three for each class) and then LW meetings (small section is mandatory, the larger section is less so...). Friday's are usually the easiest because the registrar likes to be nice sometimes :) Whether you stay all day depends on how you work, what section you're in, and how close you live to school.
TLSNYC wrote:2. How often do firm receptions or social events happen in Center City? How late do they generally last?

(I just want to get a feel for the different times that I need to be at school/CC, as I start to look at different housing options and their respective distances, etc)

hmmmm I don't really remember the timing and didn't go to many unless they were super close and that was just for a free drink. Some of the other students can probably give a better answer.
TLSNYC wrote:3. Anyone can chime in here, I suppose: do you know if we can take loan money directly labeled for one purpose and use it for another, i.e. we get roughly 2700 for health insurance. I'm already covered under my parent's plan and was thinking of taking that money and using it to increase my monthly budget

The money isn't slated for anything, they determine how much you get and give you a suggested budget, but you can spend it however works best for you. I spend way less on health insurance than they tell you to.
TLSNYC wrote:4. Aside from rent, how much does a typical monthly budget run? Like 400-500 for food? 100-120 for transportation? (I'm wildly guessing here, so don't hold me to it.)

My approach to loans was that I didn't want to have to worry about what would happen if it ran out so I never did a strict budget. I didn't need money woes on top of all the other stresses and yes, I probably have a couple thousand in loans I didn't need, but I don't regret it. That said I budgeted generally 1600/month for everything during 1L:
Rent/Utilities: 1,000
Phone/Internet (I tethered): 100
Transport: 50ish
Eating out/entertainment: 100ish
Groceries: 250ish
Other randomness: Remaining

I generally kept an extra 200 available each month just in case. Things come up. At some point you'll buy a suit, or want to travel somewhere, or want to have a nice meal, or want to rent a car, or so many other things.... As I've said many a time in threads, different people work differently. Some spend very very little and think long and hard about how much they want to take out. I like a safety net and know how much money worries can make life stressful (def did not grow up "comfortable" money-wise and saw the effect of that). I also knew I was heading to biglaw if they'd take me, had I been thinking government or PI I would have considered making different choices (but probably wouldn't have changed much).

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Veyron » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:30 pm

2. How often do firm receptions or social events happen in Center City? How late do they generally last?


Probably 10-15 a year in CC, another 10 on campus or UC. They can be at all times but never seem to go past 9. The ones in CC are usualy evening events.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest