Penn Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Celtic Bhoy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Celtic Bhoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:41 am

Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:51 am

Celtic Bhoy wrote:Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?


We are going to meet up to hang out after the informal reception on Thurs. There are 2-3 bars with direct view of the front door of the law school :D I have been looking at the law school from my favorite happy hour spot for more than a decade now!

Celtic Bhoy
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Celtic Bhoy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:58 am

r6_philly wrote:
Celtic Bhoy wrote:Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?


We are going to meet up to hang out after the informal reception on Thurs. There are 2-3 bars with direct view of the front door of the law school :D I have been looking at the law school from my favorite happy hour spot for more than a decade now!


Wow that's awesome! If it's an open thing, sign me up for the hang out! :)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:02 am

Celtic Bhoy wrote:
Wow that's awesome! If it's an open thing, sign me up for the hang out! :)


Sure, the more the better. We will pick somewhere to go after the reception. Just come to it and hang around. I will put my username on the name tag and wear a Penn shirt so everyone can find me :)

ksimon2007
Posts: 532
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 9:23 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby ksimon2007 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:07 am

r6_philly wrote:
Celtic Bhoy wrote:
Wow that's awesome! If it's an open thing, sign me up for the hang out! :)


Sure, the more the better. We will pick somewhere to go after the reception. Just come to it and hang around. I will put my username on the name tag and wear a Penn shirt so everyone can find me :)


I wish I could make it. I was speaking with a Penn 2L and she said ASW sold her on the school. I have a conference in D.C. that weekend. I plan to make a regular campus visit sometime soon though.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:04 pm

r6_philly wrote:
Celtic Bhoy wrote:Hey guys I guess I'm a bit late to join in here, but I just signed up for ASW and am really pumped to go! Are there any plans for a TLS meet up? Also, I've never been to Philly before. How is the bar scene around Penn?


We are going to meet up to hang out after the informal reception on Thurs. There are 2-3 bars with direct view of the front door of the law school :D I have been looking at the law school from my favorite happy hour spot for more than a decade now!


How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:14 pm

swampthang wrote:
How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.


New Deck's ok. Nothing on that block is going to be "good" on price. But it's not White Dog level. I go to Mad Mex mostly. I am not a tavern kind of guy.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:37 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.


New Deck's ok. Nothing on that block is going to be "good" on price. But it's not White Dog level. I go to Mad Mex mostly. I am not a tavern kind of guy.


Define "tavern". I ask because I recently debated this while walking by Cherry Street Tavern and an argument starting over whether tavern could refer to the amount of lighting inside.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:06 pm

swampthang wrote:
Define "tavern". I ask because I recently debated this while walking by Cherry Street Tavern and an argument starting over whether tavern could refer to the amount of lighting inside.


haha lightning, decor, and atmosphere. So patrons too. You know how a Irish Pub is an Irish Pub and a sports bar is a sports bar.

swl56
Posts: 121
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:06 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swl56 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:33 pm

so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?

TLSNYC
Posts: 509
Joined: Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:38 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby TLSNYC » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm

swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?


I have been pretty interested in 2400 Chestnut, largely cause it feels like the best compromise. It is close enough to the school that you make it there in 10 minutes, but close enough to say the Rittenhouse Square area that you could get there in 10 minutes too.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Veyron » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:38 am

swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?


University city and its not even close. You can worry about having fun as a 2L

User avatar
Excellence = a Habit
Posts: 1021
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:15 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:55 pm

swampthang wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
How is New Deck (or any of those other across-the-street bars) on prices? I went once, but I think my friend paid or I just can't remember- it looks a little classy for my blood.


New Deck's ok. Nothing on that block is going to be "good" on price. But it's not White Dog level. I go to Mad Mex mostly. I am not a tavern kind of guy.


Define "tavern". I ask because I recently debated this while walking by Cherry Street Tavern and an argument starting over whether tavern could refer to the amount of lighting inside.


This lighting question is relevant to my interests.

Also, it occured to me that I haven't yet RSVPed to the unofficial TLS get together on Thursday! I'll be there!

Lastly, I just got an email from the Penn student who will be putting me up. So if anyone else hasn't heard yet, don't fret, they didn't forget about us.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:03 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
This lighting question is relevant to my interests.

Also, it occured to me that I haven't yet RSVPed to the unofficial TLS get together on Thursday! I'll be there!

Lastly, I just got an email from the Penn student who will be putting me up. So if anyone else hasn't heard yet, don't fret, they didn't forget about us.


Haha I will give you guys a bar tour if the hosts are not?

Look for me at the unofficial reception Thur. afternoon.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:50 am

Veyron wrote:
swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?


University city and its not even close. You can worry about having fun as a 2L


I think this is a good point. Besides, it's not like UC is a ghost town or anything. Where would you reccomend in UC for maximizing safety and proximity to anything interesting when out of the library while minimizing travel time and cost? It's a tough balance to strike, but I just can't see myself paying $1,000+ for an apartment.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:52 am

swampthang wrote:
Veyron wrote:
swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?


University city and its not even close. You can worry about having fun as a 2L


I think this is a good point. Besides, it's not like UC is a ghost town or anything. Where would you reccomend in UC for maximizing safety and proximity to anything interesting when out of the library while minimizing travel time and cost? It's a tough balance to strike, but I just can't see myself paying $1,000+ for an apartment.


Near the outer rim of the Penn Public Safety's patrol zone as seen on the safety publication.

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:
swampthang wrote:
Veyron wrote:
swl56 wrote:so there was no clear answer on this on previous pages... would people recommend university city or center city for 1L? or probably the more appropriate question is where are people looking/leaning towards? and for either one, where are the most popular buildings where law students lease from?

i want to live in center city because there is more to do there, but i wonder if it's just better to live closer to the law school so i can focus on studying.... thoughts?


University city and its not even close. You can worry about having fun as a 2L


I think this is a good point. Besides, it's not like UC is a ghost town or anything. Where would you reccomend in UC for maximizing safety and proximity to anything interesting when out of the library while minimizing travel time and cost? It's a tough balance to strike, but I just can't see myself paying $1,000+ for an apartment.


Near the outer rim of the Penn Public Safety's patrol zone as seen on the safety publication.


Ok, now I just need to find this patrol map (LinkRemoved) and determine the UC equivalent of Tatooine (though sans Hutts preferably). Dang, looks like the place I was checking out is literally a block outside the PPZ. Do you think I would be bantha fodder if I were living there, r6?

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:31 pm

swampthang wrote:
Ok, now I just need to find this patrol map (LinkRemoved) and determine the UC equivalent of Tatooine (though sans Hutts preferably). Dang, looks like the place I was checking out is literally a block outside the PPZ. Do you think I would be bantha fodder if I were living there, r6?


You should be ok out to 46 or or, and 49th if you are right on/off Baltimore. Anything further is a little hairy. I do see Penn kids all over the place within and beyond the colored boundry, but ignorance is bliss? I lived at 49th and Springfield (right at SW color boundry) for years, it's not worth the discount. And this coming from a native low-income resident, not a Penn student at the time (I moved out of the city as soon as I could afford to).

User avatar
absolutazn87
Posts: 715
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 2:16 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby absolutazn87 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:36 pm

The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?

User avatar
swampthang
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Apr 16, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby swampthang » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:39 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?


Meh, I think if you're along the NW edge of the PPZ you're looking at about 1 mi. to the law school vs. say 1.5 from Rittenhouse Square. So more convenient (especially if you don't have a bike), and I would presume, cheaper. That's my big concern: balancing convenience, price, and safety. Thus, I can't see myself living much further west than 40th St.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:42 pm

absolutazn87 wrote:The thing is, most of the livable areas west of campus in UC are farther from the law school (which is at the eastern edge of campus) than places in center city. So wouldn't that make CC more convenient?


The law school is at 34th and Chestnut. It is actually just off center to the right in the patrol zone area on the map. Center city requires you to cross the bridge over the expressway and the river, which makes them about equal distance, if you stay within, or just beyond the patrol zone.

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby HeavenWood » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:44 pm

Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:07 pm

HeavenWood wrote:Are there any unofficial TLS get togethers besides Thursday? (It'll be a bit tough for me to make it by then)


Friday night dinner thing?

User avatar
The Gentleman
Posts: 670
Joined: Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:25 am

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby The Gentleman » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

I'm really looking forward to visiting Philly and meeting everyone next week! Definitely count me in for Thursday night!

And do any TLSers have plans during the day on Thursday? (lunch or something?) I'm getting into Philly around noon, so I'll have some time to kill before the evening events start.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Penn Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:21 pm

The Gentleman wrote:I'm really looking forward to visiting Philly and meeting everyone next week! Definitely count me in for Thursday night!

And do any TLSers have plans during the day on Thursday? (lunch or something?) I'm getting into Philly around noon, so I'll have some time to kill before the evening events start.


I told law monkey as well, I work at 2nd and Chestnut (old city) so I can take a late lunch around 1 or so, and we can go over to the school together. So take your pick at lunch venues.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest