Duke Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dabbadon8

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby dabbadon8 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:02 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Besides classes, is everyone done reading A Civil Action? I am about a 100 pages away from polishing it off then it is on to the other readings for LEAD week.

I am just going to read the summary. They said it was optional. Was considering reading it but I ended up spending the time doing LEEWS. Going to do the reading for LEAD week this weekend once I get my apt more settled.

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Fri Aug 12, 2011 4:03 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Question: Should we bring laptops to orientation? Any need for them?

No. No need for them.

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Fri Aug 12, 2011 6:52 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Besides classes, is everyone done reading A Civil Action? I am about a 100 pages away from polishing it off then it is on to the other readings for LEAD week.

I've also got about 100 pages left. I think it could have been about 200 pages shorter, but I guess it was worth the read considering how much time I have right now.

thickfreakness

Postby thickfreakness » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:37 pm

TheFactor wrote:Section 4 FTW.

Civpro (Sachs)
Con Law (Blocher)
Torts (Coleman)

Blocher is the shit. Don't buy a supplement for his class. Just go to all of them.

If you have the Yeazell casebook, the Emanuel outline keyed to that book is rather helpful. Otherwise, I don't think a supplement is that necessary for CivPro.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:27 pm

QuailMan wrote:

I've also got about 100 pages left. I think it could have been about 200 pages shorter, but I guess it was worth the read considering how much time I have right now.

Ya. Just finished the book and completely agree with the sentiment that the book could have been substantially shorter than it ultimately was. The back end definitely seemed to drag on and feel repetitious.

Now onto the the LEAD week readings (and maybe a little more GTM if I am feeling really ambitious :) ).

Bosque

Postby Bosque » Sun Aug 14, 2011 1:40 pm

All y'alls: the mentors are out. If you didn't get an email from me and you think you filled out the survey, that means something went wrong. If you shoot me an email I will take care of it asap.

(By the way, the mentors would be the people to ask for candid opinions about professors if y'all still want that. Just saying.)

Hope you all are excited about school starting up soon! You've got three weeks till you go from cocky and joyful to anxious and crazy. Enjoy it!

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 14, 2011 5:08 pm

Since I know a bunch of 2L and 3L students visit this thread every once in a while, I would like some input as to what supplements are best for the following classes:

- Property (Wiener)
- Contracts (Richman)
- CivPro (Jones)
- LARW

Thanks in advance.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Sun Aug 14, 2011 7:27 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Since I know a bunch of 2L and 3L students visit this thread every once in a while, I would like some input as to what supplements are best for the following classes:

- Property (Wiener)
- Contracts (Richman)
- CivPro (Jones)
- LARW

Thanks in advance.

For Weiner's Property, supplements are nearly useless. Weiner teaches the same way every year and cares very little about what many property classes spend a lot of time on (RAP, Estates in land, etc.), at least in the sense most other law students would recognize. He's very concerned about policy and your ability to construct novel arguments that at times sound like trips to crazy town. Get several of the old outlines floating around and be very sensitive to his hypotheticals and what he finds interesting about particular questions. Go to office hours and start talking about the exam a month or so in so you get the idea of what he's looking for. His take on a good exam was very different from my other profs, so it's good to get it straight from him.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:59 pm

quakeroats wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:Since I know a bunch of 2L and 3L students visit this thread every once in a while, I would like some input as to what supplements are best for the following classes:

- Property (Wiener)
- Contracts (Richman)
- CivPro (Jones)
- LARW

Thanks in advance.

For Weiner's Property, supplements are nearly useless. Weiner teaches the same way every year and cares very little about what many property classes spend a lot of time on (RAP, Estates in land, etc.), at least in the sense most other law students would recognize. He's very concerned about policy and your ability to construct novel arguments that at times sound like trips to crazy town. Get several of the old outlines floating around and be very sensitive to his hypotheticals and what he finds interesting about particular questions. Go to office hours and start talking about the exam a month or so in so you get the idea of what he's looking for. His take on a good exam was very different from my other profs, so it's good to get it straight from him.

Thanks, this is awesome.

And to anyone who knows: are we supposed to bring anything to orientation tomorrow? Printouts of the readings, notebook, supplies, etc?

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:02 pm

Any advice on whether supplements (E&E's, hornbooks, etc.) are necessary or helpful for the following classes??

Civ pro - Sachs
Torts - Coleman

wonderfilled

Postby wonderfilled » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:09 pm

TheFactor wrote:Any advice on whether supplements (E&E's, hornbooks, etc.) are necessary or helpful for the following classes??

Civ pro - Sachs
Torts - Coleman

I'm gonna say yes for Sachs, seeing as how he posted the Glannon E&E supplement as a recommended book...

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:11 pm

wonderfilled wrote:
TheFactor wrote:Any advice on whether supplements (E&E's, hornbooks, etc.) are necessary or helpful for the following classes??

Civ pro - Sachs
Torts - Coleman

I'm gonna say yes for Sachs, seeing as how he posted the Glannon E&E supplement as a recommended book...

Yeah, already ordered that one. Was wondering about hornbooks for his class. Sorry for the confusion.

dresq

Postby dresq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:28 pm

Civ pro - Sachs
Torts - Coleman

No need for any supplements for Coleman. She is really clear on what you need to know.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Mon Aug 15, 2011 7:51 pm

Re: supplements.

I think a fair number of law students are anti-supplement. I used a supplement in every single 1L doctrinal class. I found them helpful, except in crim[1]. (As with everything, more than one method works and you should go out and buy them just because I found them useful). I found the E&E series helpful, as it includes questions and answers. With that said, DO NOT STUDY SOMETHING JUST BECAUSE IT'S IN A SUPPLEMENT. The thing that is useful about a supplement is precisely that it covers something your prof already covered in a slightly different way. Your goal is to go back over the material you covered, refresh your memory and make sure you understand the stuff your prof taught. If your prof didn't cover it, do not waste your time with it. If their explanation doesn't help you understand it, forget about the supplement and go to your main materials.

With that said supplements are often very unhelpful in critical areas of the law that will come up on exams. For example in torts the concept of "proximate cause" can be a big issue for exam questions. Supplements aren't going to make this concept clear, because this concept isn't clear. The cases you read will be much better to understand and to use by way of comparison for a "proximate cause" issue.

Again, plenty of students studied differently than I did and did great. Do not follow some wrote guideline if it doesn't feel like it's working for you.

AND DO NOT STRESS OUT ABOUT EXAMS YET. YOU HAVE A LONG WAY TO GO.

1: Criminal law as Professor Buell teaches it is mainly statutory interpretation. Cases, and policy analysis are relevant, but only provide guidelines to aid in interpreting and understanding criminal statutes. Consequently, I thought supplemental materials were essentially useless for that class.

wfc

Postby wfc » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Last edited by wfc on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

two

Postby two » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:43 pm

Is there a fridge in the law school for students to use?

dresq

Postby dresq » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:49 pm

two wrote:Is there a fridge in the law school for students to use?

Yes. In the back locker area.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:42 am

two fridges!

If you are taking property with Wiener, I wish you well. I'm not sure what can prepare you other than studying the man behind the madness.

poprox

Postby poprox » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:58 pm

haha, I thought you said you did well in prop....

but he's right, gl figuring out Weiner's idea of a great exam answer

stewie27

Postby stewie27 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:08 pm

I have Wiener for Prop... now I'm worried. Care to elaborate more on what's up/weird about him?

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 6:39 pm

Any suggestions on the best supplements for Property (Wiener) and Contracts (Richman) would be appreciated. My CivPro teacher recommended supplements and my writing class recommended a styles book so I am all set for those. Thanks in advance.

Reedie

Postby Reedie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:08 pm

wfc wrote:I appreciate the insight about profs. Anyone have any experience with Purdy or DeMott? Thanks

I had DeMott and enjoyed her class. Several other 2L's who have been in this thread had DeMott as well. so you can talk to them. I used the E&E supplement, and I found it fairly effective. But don't just rely on that, as several torts concepts are not easily summarized. It's also worth paying attention to areas where there is more than one relevant legal standard and you need to keep track of the different ways courts look at tort issues (not the kind of thing a supplement usually does well). If she uses the same case book, the organization of the book itself could use some work, so plan on spending some time having to sort through the notes for what is relevant and what is not.

lawyerwannabe

Postby lawyerwannabe » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Can I where jeans tomorrow to ASW!?!?!? 2Ls and 3Ls let me know!

Real Madrid

Postby Real Madrid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:33 pm

Have they mentioned the incoming class medians at orientation yet? I'm going to be applying this fall and would be really interested to know. Thanks!

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:00 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Have they mentioned the incoming class medians at orientation yet? I'm going to be applying this fall and would be really interested to know. Thanks!

nah bro

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”