Duke Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
beachbum

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby beachbum » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:44 pm

jrose5 wrote:
beachbum wrote:I'll just leave this here: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921

Feel free to add your name so we can beat those dirty Virginians.

Done.

Right on, glad to have you on board.

mikunta

Postby mikunta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 8:56 pm

jrose5 wrote:
mikunta wrote:
jrose5 wrote:
mikunta wrote:Hey,

So the deadline is quickly approaching and I need to send in my deposit. Gonna overnight it tomorrow via FedEx. Was wondering if anyone knew the exact address (I dont have time to mess it up). I know I got a letter or something that had it but I cant seem to find it at the moment. This is what I have from the website:

Office of Admissions
Duke University School of Law
210 Science Drive
Duke Box 90393
Durham NC 27708-0393

I seem to remember them saying if it's UPS/FedEx it doesn't need the Box # ? Or am I way off? Just wondering since I don't want this to get screwed up lol

I just sent mine and that looks right. The guy at the post office didn't include PO Box #.

Thanks bro. Just sent mine. BTW I'm assuming your SN is a Jalen Rose reference? Dicey to attend Duke over Mich if it is haha

It's funny because my SN is not a Jalen Rose reference. I made my SN well before I even heard about the controversy, though I actually did end up narrowing my choice down to Duke vs. Michigan.
Glad to be attending Duke next year! It was a hard decision to make, but I'm confident I made the right choice.

Ah damn. I thought it had to be. He wore 5 at Michigan. And the whole fab five thing. Oh well

TUP

Postby TUP » Thu Apr 28, 2011 6:57 pm

Count me in. It was a really tough decision vs UCLA at $25k less COA, but I think keeping my options open is the better choice. Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

itimgtd

Postby itimgtd » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:18 pm

Hey guys, I'm about to send my deposit, just trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Is it ok if I make the check out to "Duke University School of Law Office of Admissions"?

mikunta

Postby mikunta » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:33 pm

itimgtd wrote:Hey guys, I'm about to send my deposit, just trying to make sure I'm not making a mistake. Is it ok if I make the check out to "Duke University School of Law Office of Admissions"?

I wrote Duke Law School on mine and they accepted it so Im sure you're fine.

TUP wrote:Count me in. It was a really tough decision vs UCLA at $25k less COA, but I think keeping my options open is the better choice. Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

I wonder how many people this cycle chose between UCLA and Duke. It seems to be coming up a lot on TLS

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Thu Apr 28, 2011 7:47 pm

25k seems like nothing to me right now

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 9:01 pm

TUP wrote:Count me in. It was a really tough decision vs UCLA at $25k less COA, but I think keeping my options open is the better choice. Looking forward to meeting you all in August!

UCLA with substantial scholly was also an option for me. I think a lot of people just blanket the T14s and toss in a few highly ranked T14s like UT and UCLA, so I'm sure tons of people had these 2 options to choose from.

itimgtd

Postby itimgtd » Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:17 pm

Sent my deposit in, so officially joining you guys. I'm on a couple waitlists at schools that I'd take if offered, but I don't have my hopes up for that to happen.

I'll definitely be leaning on this thread to guide my transition to Durham... thanks for all the help in advance!

TUP

Postby TUP » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:41 pm

What is everyone looking at for apartments? Based on prior year threads, it seems like Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular 1L location.

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:19 pm

TUP wrote:What is everyone looking at for apartments? Based on prior year threads, it seems like Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular 1L location.

i think im going with the lofts at lakeview, but based on the admitted students fb page, it seems as though pinnacle and alexan garrett will both have a good law student showing. I was tempted by alexan garrett, but decided to go with proximity to the law school (3 min vs 12 min drive).

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Fri Apr 29, 2011 7:29 pm

Anyone know where the cheapest place to live is? What about the closest? Sorry, I really need to start researching all this....

TUP

Postby TUP » Mon May 02, 2011 11:35 am

nihilism is key wrote:
TUP wrote:What is everyone looking at for apartments? Based on prior year threads, it seems like Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular 1L location.

i think im going with the lofts at lakeview, but based on the admitted students fb page, it seems as though pinnacle and alexan garrett will both have a good law student showing. I was tempted by alexan garrett, but decided to go with proximity to the law school (3 min vs 12 min drive).

Is that why this thread is so unused compared to some other classes?

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 02, 2011 12:12 pm

TUP wrote:
nihilism is key wrote:

Is that why this thread is so unused compared to some other classes?

It could be, though it seems the admitted students group is mostly a bunch of current students trying to sublet their apartments. I'm not sure why our thread here doesn't get much use, but it is what it is. Also, love the new avatar.

PureEnergy

Postby PureEnergy » Mon May 02, 2011 4:15 pm

I have been reading for a long time (and am super ashamed to admit it). However, decision is made. And I'm going to Duke!

PureEnergy

Postby PureEnergy » Mon May 02, 2011 4:18 pm

according to the DeNovo, Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular. The facebook page makes it seem that way too. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Pinnacle next year and would love to have everyone else there too. The thought of living with a bunch of law students sounds absolutely terrible and unbearably obnoxious, and thus I choose it wholeheartedly. And yes, I am already a self-hating lawyer.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:24 pm

PureEnergy wrote:according to the DeNovo, Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular. The facebook page makes it seem that way too. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Pinnacle next year and would love to have everyone else there too. The thought of living with a bunch of law students sounds absolutely terrible and unbearably obnoxious, and thus I choose it wholeheartedly. And yes, I am already a self-hating lawyer.

I'm sure there will be lots of other graduate students if it's the best option. No worries.

DorianGray89

Postby DorianGray89 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Where are summer starters living this summer?

PureEnergy

Postby PureEnergy » Mon May 02, 2011 4:33 pm

jrose5 wrote:
PureEnergy wrote:according to the DeNovo, Pinnacle Ridge is the most popular. The facebook page makes it seem that way too. I'm pretty sure I'll be in Pinnacle next year and would love to have everyone else there too. The thought of living with a bunch of law students sounds absolutely terrible and unbearably obnoxious, and thus I choose it wholeheartedly. And yes, I am already a self-hating lawyer.

I'm sure there will be lots of other graduate students if it's the best option. No worries.

Haha, in case I wasn't clear, I actually want to live with law students, which is why I think I'll be there.

bep244

Postby bep244 » Mon May 02, 2011 5:04 pm

Pinnacle was apparently the most popular spot for current 1Ls, but there are a bunch of us starting this fall that are living in the Alexan Garrett also. It has only been open a year which is why they said alot of people starting last fall didn't even know about it. Plus, after the housing tour during ASW, my soon-to-be roomie and I liked the feel of AG more and have already filled out an application there. Based on all the facebook posts, I think most of our class will be pretty split between AG and Pinnacle, so you should have alot of law students either place.

PureEnergy

Postby PureEnergy » Mon May 02, 2011 5:12 pm

It's on bep244.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Mon May 02, 2011 6:10 pm

bep244 wrote:

Pinnacle was apparently the most popular spot for current 1Ls, but there are a bunch of us starting this fall that are living in the Alexan Garrett also. It has only been open a year which is why they said alot of people starting last fall didn't even know about it. Plus, after the housing tour during ASW, my soon-to-be roomie and I liked the feel of AG more and have already filled out an application there. Based on all the facebook posts, I think most of our class will be pretty split between AG and Pinnacle, so you should have alot of law students either place.

+1, looks like there should be a good group of law students in both. I'll be in AG.

StickyIcky

Postby StickyIcky » Mon May 02, 2011 6:45 pm

Anyone know how incoming 1L's can apply for the MA program, or whom to contact about that? Along those lines, anyone know much about the MA in economics?

itimgtd

Postby itimgtd » Mon May 02, 2011 7:41 pm

Hey guys,

Was I supposed to inform Dean Hoye or someone else at Duke that I'm on a few waitlists and might end up switching if I am admitted, or is that just assumed?

nihilism is key

Postby nihilism is key » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 pm

itimgtd wrote:Hey guys,

Was I supposed to inform Dean Hoye or someone else at Duke that I'm on a few waitlists and might end up switching if I am admitted, or is that just assumed?

I believe its assumed.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:51 pm

nihilism is key wrote:
itimgtd wrote:Hey guys,

I believe its assumed.

I scanned the scholarship letters to make sure we're not required to withdraw from WLs... thankfully, no.
..and now I feel utterly disloyal to Duke.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”