Duke Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
stewie27
Posts: 149
Joined: Sat Apr 10, 2010 12:46 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby stewie27 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:50 am

beachbum wrote:$8k/year!!! As an ED'er with borderline numbers! Holy shit this just made my day. I haven't read all the paperwork yet (too excited), but I'm thinkin this is probably based a lot on need. Still, Duke had zero incentive to give me anything. Hot damn. I'll drink to that.


Congrats, beachbum!

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby beachbum » Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:41 pm

stewie27 wrote:
beachbum wrote:$8k/year!!! As an ED'er with borderline numbers! Holy shit this just made my day. I haven't read all the paperwork yet (too excited), but I'm thinkin this is probably based a lot on need. Still, Duke had zero incentive to give me anything. Hot damn. I'll drink to that.


Congrats, beachbum!


Thanks! I still can't believe it.

User avatar
Bosque
Posts: 1585
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby Bosque » Tue Mar 22, 2011 3:52 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:So what's the deal with cars? if you don't have one, what do you do?


You buy one.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:40 pm

If I want to submit a peer school aid offer--how do I do so? I would skim the forum, but I am at work and that takes too long with the boss here...

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:44 pm

tipler4213 wrote:If I want to submit a peer school aid offer--how do I do so? I would skim the forum, but I am at work and that takes too long with the boss here...


Read the first post here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Edit: Basically, I would write an email explaining that you have other offers, attach offer, etc.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:46 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:If I want to submit a peer school aid offer--how do I do so? I would skim the forum, but I am at work and that takes too long with the boss here...


Read the first post here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Edit: Basically, I would write an email explaining that you have other offers, attach offer, etc.


yeah, gotcha. But what address? the financial aid one?

User avatar
whathojeeves
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 5:39 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:14 pm

tipler4213 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:If I want to submit a peer school aid offer--how do I do so? I would skim the forum, but I am at work and that takes too long with the boss here...


Read the first post here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Edit: Basically, I would write an email explaining that you have other offers, attach offer, etc.


yeah, gotcha. But what address? the financial aid one?


Yes.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby tipler4213 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:32 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
tipler4213 wrote:If I want to submit a peer school aid offer--how do I do so? I would skim the forum, but I am at work and that takes too long with the boss here...


Read the first post here viewtopic.php?f=22&t=79373

Edit: Basically, I would write an email explaining that you have other offers, attach offer, etc.


yeah, gotcha. But what address? the financial aid one?


Yes.


Sweet, thanks!

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby thecilent » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:40 pm

Has anyone who sent in peer-offers heard anything back yet? Plz PM if you need to.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:57 pm

Bosque wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:So what's the deal with cars? if you don't have one, what do you do?


You buy one.


TITCR

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby DorianGray89 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:18 pm

Bosque wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:So what's the deal with cars? if you don't have one, what do you do?


You buy one.


Thanks!

User avatar
thickfreakness
Posts: 1056
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:39 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby thickfreakness » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:59 pm

Bosque wrote:
DorianGray89 wrote:So what's the deal with cars? if you don't have one, what do you do?


You buy one.


If you're a badass you can steal one.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:03 pm

So what did you guys think of Autocrat of the Armchair? It was an interesting choice of an article to send, I feel.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby mr_toad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:05 pm

jrose5 wrote:So what did you guys think of Autocrat of the Armchair? It was an interesting choice of an article to send, I feel.


If you're gonna start a conversation on that, tell us why you found it interesting...

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:12 pm

mr_toad wrote:
jrose5 wrote:So what did you guys think of Autocrat of the Armchair? It was an interesting choice of an article to send, I feel.


If you're gonna start a conversation on that, tell us why you found it interesting...


It was a little confrontational.

edit: Ok, that and, I wasn't sure exactly why we were being sent an article of the nature. Not that I think they shouldn't have.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby mr_toad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:15 pm

Confrontational for sure: he was taking on Posner... but the points he made were on target, I thought. It's good to take on iconoclasts, and I thought that it was actually nice to see that the guy who is at least nominally in charge of the law school is out there making intellectually courageous arguments. The things he criticized about Posner's book were the very same things I preach to my freshman composition students... support your assertions, broaden your evidence base, don't assume that your anecdotes can be generalized.

jrose5
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby jrose5 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:22 pm

mr_toad wrote:Confrontational for sure: he was taking on Posner... but the points he made were on target, I thought. It's good to take on iconoclasts, and I thought that it was actually nice to see that the guy who is at least nominally in charge of the law school is out there making intellectually courageous arguments. The things he criticized about Posner's book were the very same things I preach to my freshman composition students... support your assertions, broaden your evidence base, don't assume that your anecdotes can be generalized.


I agree with the points Dean Levi made, but it's hard not to (who would be against evidence-backed theories and sound statistical analyses?). But I am always hesitant to say I agree with one side until I have heard the adversary. Dean Levi quotes many passages from Posner's book, but statements taken out of context can easily be misconstrued.

In any case, it was an interesting read. I haven't gotten anything like it from my other law schools. It did a nice job of selling Duke Law as an academic institution, not solely a professional school.

User avatar
mr_toad
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:08 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby mr_toad » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:26 pm

jrose5 wrote:
mr_toad wrote:Confrontational for sure: he was taking on Posner... but the points he made were on target, I thought. It's good to take on iconoclasts, and I thought that it was actually nice to see that the guy who is at least nominally in charge of the law school is out there making intellectually courageous arguments. The things he criticized about Posner's book were the very same things I preach to my freshman composition students... support your assertions, broaden your evidence base, don't assume that your anecdotes can be generalized.


I agree with the points Dean Levi made, but it's hard not to (who would be against evidence-backed theories and sound statistical analyses?). But I am always hesitant to say I agree with one side until I have heard the adversary. Dean Levi quotes many passages from Posner's book, but statements taken out of context can easily be misconstrued.

In any case, it was an interesting read. I haven't gotten anything like it from my other law schools. It did a nice job of selling Duke Law as an academic institution, not solely a professional school.


I love it, and our brief exchange makes me even more excited about next year... most people I know just roll their eyes when I start talking about things like this.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:32 pm

Is someone doing a write up for ASW? I am missing it, would love to find out what people think.

User avatar
arism87
Posts: 1311
Joined: Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:46 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby arism87 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:33 pm

r6_philly wrote:Is someone doing a write up for ASW? I am missing it, would love to find out what people think.


Me too! I was signed up to go but at the last minute couldn't make it :(

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Is someone doing a write up for ASW? I am missing it, would love to find out what people think.


Me too! I was signed up to go but at the last minute couldn't make it :(


I am at Penn's :oops:

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby beachbum » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:34 pm

r6_philly wrote:Is someone doing a write up for ASW? I am missing it, would love to find out what people think.


A big +1 to this. Instead of hanging out in Durham, I'm stuck with (post-spring break) midterms and a Saturday morning "assessment center." Weak.

r6_philly
Posts: 10707
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby r6_philly » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:35 pm

beachbum wrote:
r6_philly wrote:Is someone doing a write up for ASW? I am missing it, would love to find out what people think.


A big +1 to this. Instead of hanging out in Durham, I'm stuck with (post-spring break) midterms and a Saturday morning "assessment center." Weak.


I am writing 2 papers due tomorrow right now ...

User avatar
DorianGray89
Posts: 346
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby DorianGray89 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:46 pm

Just got back from Duke's ASW and I loved it. It was better than what I expected. Everyone was really nice, especially the students. They (students) went out of their way to makes us feel comfortable and to answer every question we had. I had a couple of students at the bar just come up to me out of nowhere and ask "Do you have any last minute questions? What is your biggest worry about Duke and how can I help?" They were great. They all love Duke, and you could tell it was genuine.

All the professors I met were really nice. One of them told the group of students I was with that if we had any questions or were having trouble deciding between schools to email him. They were all very approachable and seemed to enjoy their time at Duke. The mock class was pretty cool as well (they obvs showcase the best professors, but still, I was impressed).

The Law School building is really nice. It was renovated a couple of years ago so it looks brand new. Duke itself is a beautiful campus, with great weather.

Durham, for me at least, is a small town, but the law students make the most of it. Everyone is from somewhere else, and a lot of them come from big cities so they try to really make the most of it.

It was really nice. Loved it. And I'm definitely strongly considering Duke. If you have any specific questions PM me.

User avatar
beachbum
Posts: 2766
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:35 pm

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby beachbum » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:50 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Just got back from Duke's ASW and I loved it. It was better than what I expected. Everyone was really nice, especially the students. They (students) went out of their way to makes us feel comfortable and to answer every question we had. I had a couple of students at the bar just come up to me out of nowhere and ask "Do you have any last minute questions? What is your biggest worry about Duke and how can I help?" They were great. They all love Duke, and you could tell it was genuine.

All the professors I met were really nice. One of them told the group of students I was with that if we had any questions or were having trouble deciding between schools to email him. They were all very approachable and seemed to enjoy their time at Duke. The mock class was pretty cool as well (they obvs showcase the best professors, but still, I was impressed).

The Law School building is really nice. It was renovated a couple of years ago so it looks brand new. Duke itself is a beautiful campus, with great weather.

Durham, for me at least, is a small town, but the law students make the most of it. Everyone is from somewhere else, and a lot of them come from big cities so they try to really make the most of it.

It was really nice. Loved it. And I'm definitely strongly considering Duke. If you have any specific questions PM me.


Fantastic, thanks for the write-up.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest