Duke Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
DallasCowboy

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

No. I'm in post-callback or OCI limbo at a few firms. I rolled the dice and haven't applied to judges because you are obliged to accept if offered. 1Ls w/offers are hush-hush at this point out of respect for others, so I don't know the extent of employment here.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:No. I'm in post-callback or OCI limbo at a few firms. I rolled the dice and haven't applied to judges because you are obliged to accept if offered. 1Ls w/offers are hush-hush at this point out of respect for others, so I don't know the extent of employment here.

Gotya. Good luck

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm

you are not obliged to accept anything if offered. Its pretty late to be waiting for a summer offer.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 pm

don't worry mranon, I still applied to everything but judges. If I end up an RA or something, so be it.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 am

So is it pretty easy to nab an RA spot if you blank with firms?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 am

Blindc1rca wrote:Dean's Scholly 67,500 what up y'all!

Did they list a mailing on your status checker related to your scholarship notification?

whathojeeves

Postby whathojeeves » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 pm

bdubs wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:Dean's Scholly 67,500 what up y'all!

Did they list a mailing on your status checker related to your scholarship notification?

I want to know this too! I haven't looked at my Duke thing in ages, I wonder where I put that login email...

Edit: Never mind, just read the site properly "Scholarship notifications will be mailed on a rolling basis"

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 pm

I definitely played this video on loop after getting the acceptance call from Dean Hoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdG_fey4_ow

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

So everyone has the following right

- welcome packet sent
- scholarship form received

And people with offers also have
- scholarship letter?

Correct?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Got a letter and law journal today. Still no scholarship info though....

arism87

Postby arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:So everyone has the following right

- welcome packet sent
- scholarship form received

And people with offers also have
- scholarship letter?

Correct?

Yeah, my scholarship form was received in December, then last week my status finally changed to "Decision made", then Tuesday to "Scholarship decision mailed"-- it came today.

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

beachbum wrote:Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?

I can't even add Duke as an option yet ... you are already on housing? lol

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 am

Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 am

dannyde7 wrote:Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.

I planned to go but my son was sick so I had to stay home with him. Double bummed because he is sick and I couldn't go.

How was Cravath? And did you meet the other TLSers there?

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.

I planned to go but my son was sick so I had to stay home with him. Double bummed because he is sick and I couldn't go.

Cravath was great. It's a mammoth building. There was a lot of food and wine and beer. Not all of the alums there worked at Cravath-- most worked at firms from all over the city. I don't think I met any TLSers, but who knows. I definitely didn't ask people if they spent time on TLS while I was at the event.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 am

dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Cravath was great. It's a mammoth building. There was a lot of food and wine and beer. Not all of the alums there worked at Cravath-- most worked at firms from all over the city. I don't think I met any TLSers, but who knows. I definitely didn't ask people if they spent time on TLS while I was at the event.

That's why code words are important!

dannyde7

Postby dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

law_monkey wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Pshaw! Did you go?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 am

dannyde7 wrote:
Pshaw! Did you go?

No. I wish!!! But I'm in LA. :(

maw

Postby maw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 am

beachbum wrote:Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?

I'm looking in to Pinnacle Ridge. It's a bit early, but I want to be prepared to look at apartments during ASW.

r6_philly

Postby r6_philly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 am

law_monkey wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If I went I'd put my username on the name tag lol

I really wanted to check out Cravath. I have only been to smaller firms in the city, always wanted to check out a biglaw office. I may drive down to the DC one.

I may also go to the Penn's NYC reception but that idea sounds stupid :roll:

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:58 pm

thecilent wrote:So is it pretty easy to nab an RA spot if you blank with firms?

Looks like we had 17 1ls do that last year. Everyone got something.

Good choice. That is prob the #2 most popular spot, plus just right down the street from Pinnacle.

forward

Postby forward » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

In yesterday via email. How long does Duke typically take with $ offers after the scholarship form is submitted?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

From LSN the people who seem to have heard already were people admitted very early, i.e., September - December 1. Only about 10% of admitted students on LSN have posted any scholly information. FWTW. I submitted my scholly form in late December and have heard nothing, but my numbers aren't auto-scholly numbers anyway (kind of 50-50, I think).

delusional

Postby delusional » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Was in Manhattan a few weeks back. Walked past Cravath, and my thoughts were OMFG what a freaking awesome looking building. Two weeks later, I got into Duke, and got the email, but I didn't RSVP because I didn't think there was a chance that I could leave work early, and trek into the city. Just my luck, I ended up working in Manhattan on Thursday, but it was too late to RSVP by the time I found out.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”