Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
DallasCowboy

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:31 pm

No. I'm in post-callback or OCI limbo at a few firms. I rolled the dice and haven't applied to judges because you are obliged to accept if offered. 1Ls w/offers are hush-hush at this point out of respect for others, so I don't know the extent of employment here.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:34 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:No. I'm in post-callback or OCI limbo at a few firms. I rolled the dice and haven't applied to judges because you are obliged to accept if offered. 1Ls w/offers are hush-hush at this point out of respect for others, so I don't know the extent of employment here.
Gotya. Good luck

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:35 pm

you are not obliged to accept anything if offered. Its pretty late to be waiting for a summer offer.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:49 pm

don't worry mranon, I still applied to everything but judges. If I end up an RA or something, so be it.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:06 am

So is it pretty easy to nab an RA spot if you blank with firms?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:30 am

Blindc1rca wrote:Dean's Scholly 67,500 what up y'all!
Did they list a mailing on your status checker related to your scholarship notification?

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:21 pm

bdubs wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:Dean's Scholly 67,500 what up y'all!
Did they list a mailing on your status checker related to your scholarship notification?
I want to know this too! I haven't looked at my Duke thing in ages, I wonder where I put that login email...

Edit: Never mind, just read the site properly "Scholarship notifications will be mailed on a rolling basis"

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:25 pm

I definitely played this video on loop after getting the acceptance call from Dean Hoye.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdG_fey4_ow

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:27 pm

So everyone has the following right

- welcome packet sent
- scholarship form received

And people with offers also have
- scholarship letter?

Correct?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:18 pm

Got a letter and law journal today. Still no scholarship info though....

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 6:24 pm

r6_philly wrote:So everyone has the following right

- welcome packet sent
- scholarship form received

And people with offers also have
- scholarship letter?

Correct?
Yeah, my scholarship form was received in December, then last week my status finally changed to "Decision made", then Tuesday to "Scholarship decision mailed"-- it came today.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:13 pm

Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:52 pm

beachbum wrote:Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?
I can't even add Duke as an option yet ... you are already on housing? lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:25 am

Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:26 am

dannyde7 wrote:Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.
I planned to go but my son was sick so I had to stay home with him. Double bummed because he is sick and I couldn't go.

How was Cravath? And did you meet the other TLSers there?

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:31 am

r6_philly wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.
I planned to go but my son was sick so I had to stay home with him. Double bummed because he is sick and I couldn't go.

Cravath was great. It's a mammoth building. There was a lot of food and wine and beer. Not all of the alums there worked at Cravath-- most worked at firms from all over the city. I don't think I met any TLSers, but who knows. I definitely didn't ask people if they spent time on TLS while I was at the event.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:36 am

dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Cravath was great. It's a mammoth building. There was a lot of food and wine and beer. Not all of the alums there worked at Cravath-- most worked at firms from all over the city. I don't think I met any TLSers, but who knows. I definitely didn't ask people if they spent time on TLS while I was at the event.
That's why code words are important!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dannyde7

Bronze

Post by dannyde7 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:39 am

law_monkey wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Pshaw! Did you go?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:49 am

dannyde7 wrote:
Pshaw! Did you go?
No. I wish!!! But I'm in LA. :(

maw

New

Post by maw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:26 am

beachbum wrote:Well, barring an incredible showing by Addington or Woodstone tomorrow, it looks like I'll be living in Alexan Garrett starting this summer. I guess its a little soon for this, but anyone else looking at housing yet?
I'm looking in to Pinnacle Ridge. It's a bit early, but I want to be prepared to look at apartments during ASW.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 am

law_monkey wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

If I went I'd put my username on the name tag lol

I really wanted to check out Cravath. I have only been to smaller firms in the city, always wanted to check out a biglaw office. I may drive down to the DC one.

I may also go to the Penn's NYC reception but that idea sounds stupid :roll:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:58 pm

thecilent wrote:So is it pretty easy to nab an RA spot if you blank with firms?
Looks like we had 17 1ls do that last year. Everyone got something.
Good choice. That is prob the #2 most popular spot, plus just right down the street from Pinnacle.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

In yesterday via email. How long does Duke typically take with $ offers after the scholarship form is submitted?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:29 pm

From LSN the people who seem to have heard already were people admitted very early, i.e., September - December 1. Only about 10% of admitted students on LSN have posted any scholly information. FWTW. I submitted my scholly form in late December and have heard nothing, but my numbers aren't auto-scholly numbers anyway (kind of 50-50, I think).

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:51 pm

dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:

Was in Manhattan a few weeks back. Walked past Cravath, and my thoughts were OMFG what a freaking awesome looking building. Two weeks later, I got into Duke, and got the email, but I didn't RSVP because I didn't think there was a chance that I could leave work early, and trek into the city. Just my luck, I ended up working in Manhattan on Thursday, but it was too late to RSVP by the time I found out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”