Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
protein

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by protein » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:39 pm

confirmed via email... by 5:30 on Friday

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:43 pm

protein wrote:confirmed via email... by 5:30 on Friday
Happy weekend to us!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:44 pm

thickfreakness wrote: I got screwed out of 2 SA opportunities last year because of the late grade release. Employers don't really like waiting until February to get grades when other schools they hire from release grades in late December.
You know, I really like it here, but for such a great school we seem to do a lot of things to completely needlessly screw our own students over.

Good luck 1Ls. I know this shit isn't fun.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:45 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
Happy weekend to us!
Just went and bought a fifth of Jack. It's gonna get drunk, one way or the other.

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:48 pm

beachbum wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:
Happy weekend to us!
Just went and bought a fifth of Jack. It's gonna get drunk, one way or the other.
already have a fifth of grey goose waiting in the freezer... for better or worse

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

protein

Bronze

Post by protein » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:30 pm

grades coming out today at 5:30

class is going to be empty

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 pm

Anyone know some tentative grade cut-offs?

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:03 pm

They're up!
Interested if any 2L could weigh in on class rank estimates.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:04 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Anyone know some tentative grade cut-offs?
Wait, are grades out? Too nervous to check...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:05 pm

O, they are sure up.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:19 pm

QO: I don't know how you can guesstimate our class rank (there doesn't seem to be any information regarding cutoffs) but give us some guesses! Top 40/33/25/10%.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:28 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:QO: I don't know how you can guesstimate our class rank (there doesn't seem to be any information regarding cutoffs) but give us some guesses! Top 40/33/25/10%.
+1, also very curious

DorianGray89

Bronze

Post by DorianGray89 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:15 pm

Yeah, how can you guestimate?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:19 pm

DorianGray89 wrote:Yeah, how can you guestimate?
I don't know but one person claimed they could.

We do have a grade distribution guidelines page on the website. But there is discrepancy within each range so it seems pretty impossible.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:03 pm

For my year, 3.7+ was excellent and relatively competitive for 1L summer jobs. Summer jobs are still dependent on a good ground game (e.g., if you're starting to send stuff now it's still possible you won't get an SA especially if you haven't lined anything up in your home market or aren't from Alabama). 3.5 and 3.6 were still very good, less competitive for SAs this summer but great for next summer. Just keep it up and don't let it drop. 3.2-3.4 is where much of our class was (especially after Spring grades). Don't panic, things will be a bit harder next summer if you stay where you are (especially if you're below 3.3), but not in a seriously problematic way. The fewer other factors you have working for you (URM status, serious and relevant work experience, good conversation skills, connections to the market, personal connections, a really well thought out job-search plan), the more you need to fix things. Below a 3.2 is trickier. Few people want to talk about this, so I have less information. Generally, there aren't many ways to get more than a few tenths below median, so the number of 3.0+-.1ish GPAs is small, but I've heard this varies a lot from year to year.

For my year, a lot of people moved around after the Spring term. People who did well often did less well, and people who did poorly often improved a lot. Rumor has it that our median was a 3.2 and that a sizable percentage of the class was between 3.2 and 3.4. Remember that the median is only enforced on a class-by-class basis, so with as few grades as we have, there's a fair likelihood that the median moves above or below 3.3.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:06 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:

We do have a grade distribution guidelines page on the website. But there is discrepancy within each range so it seems pretty impossible.
It's impossible at Duke. We have no cutoffs (and don't try to use the latin-honors cutoffs; those do not include 1L grades), and without that information you're not going to figure it out short of collecting lots of GPAs. Word is that the career center feeds the real numbers to employers around OCI.

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:54 pm

quakeroats wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

It's impossible at Duke. We have no cutoffs (and don't try to use the latin-honors cutoffs; those do not include 1L grades), and without that information you're not going to figure it out short of collecting lots of GPAs. Word is that the career center feeds the real numbers to employers around OCI.
Wait, what? Any idea what the cum laude cutoff for 2L + 3L grades typically is? I'm assuming the median of 2L + 3L grades is probably 3.4 or even higher, right?

quakeroats wrote: For my year, a lot of people moved around after the Spring term. People who did well often did less well, and people who did poorly often improved a lot. Rumor has it that our median was a 3.2 and that a sizable percentage of the class was between 3.2 and 3.4. Remember that the median is only enforced on a class-by-class basis, so with as few grades as we have, there's a fair likelihood that the median moves above or below 3.3.
You're a 3L, right? Or am I mistaken? But yeah this was the rumor for our year too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:08 am

los blancos wrote:
Wait, what? Any idea what the cum laude cutoff for 2L + 3L grades typically is? I'm assuming the median of 2L + 3L grades is probably 3.4 or even higher, right?
This was from xoxo:
"for class of 2006:

high honors - 3.724

honors - 3.592

for class of 2008:

high honors - 3.746

honors - 3.598"

los blancos wrote:
You're a 3L, right?
Nope.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:46 pm

quakeroats wrote:For my year, 3.7+ was excellent and relatively competitive for 1L summer jobs. Summer jobs are still dependent on a good ground game (e.g., if you're starting to send stuff now it's still possible you won't get an SA especially if you haven't lined anything up in your home market or aren't from Alabama). 3.5 and 3.6 were still very good, less competitive for SAs this summer but great for next summer. Just keep it up and don't let it drop. 3.2-3.4 is where much of our class was (especially after Spring grades). Don't panic, things will be a bit harder next summer if you stay where you are (especially if you're below 3.3), but not in a seriously problematic way. The fewer other factors you have working for you (URM status, serious and relevant work experience, good conversation skills, connections to the market, personal connections, a really well thought out job-search plan), the more you need to fix things. Below a 3.2 is trickier. Few people want to talk about this, so I have less information. Generally, there aren't many ways to get more than a few tenths below median, so the number of 3.0+-.1ish GPAs is small, but I've heard this varies a lot from year to year.

For my year, a lot of people moved around after the Spring term. People who did well often did less well, and people who did poorly often improved a lot. Rumor has it that our median was a 3.2 and that a sizable percentage of the class was between 3.2 and 3.4. Remember that the median is only enforced on a class-by-class basis, so with as few grades as we have, there's a fair likelihood that the median moves above or below 3.3.
Based on your limited data, where do the GPAs you mentioned put a person in their class (e.g. 3.5, 3.6, 3.7)?

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:07 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:
quakeroats wrote:For my year, 3.7+ was excellent and relatively competitive for 1L summer jobs. Summer jobs are still dependent on a good ground game (e.g., if you're starting to send stuff now it's still possible you won't get an SA especially if you haven't lined anything up in your home market or aren't from Alabama). 3.5 and 3.6 were still very good, less competitive for SAs this summer but great for next summer. Just keep it up and don't let it drop. 3.2-3.4 is where much of our class was (especially after Spring grades). Don't panic, things will be a bit harder next summer if you stay where you are (especially if you're below 3.3), but not in a seriously problematic way. The fewer other factors you have working for you (URM status, serious and relevant work experience, good conversation skills, connections to the market, personal connections, a really well thought out job-search plan), the more you need to fix things. Below a 3.2 is trickier. Few people want to talk about this, so I have less information. Generally, there aren't many ways to get more than a few tenths below median, so the number of 3.0+-.1ish GPAs is small, but I've heard this varies a lot from year to year.

Based on your limited data, where do the GPAs you mentioned put a person in their class (e.g. 3.5, 3.6, 3.7)?
There's really no way to tell. Best guess is 3.7 is 10-20% 3.6 is 20-30% and 3.5 is 30-40%. It probably varies widely from year to year at this point as there's only one semester of data.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:39 pm

So basically:

3.5+: high-five, bro
3.4: decent shot at Biglaw
3.3: some shot at Biglaw
3.2: iffy
3.1 and below: abandon ship

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Breezin

New

Post by Breezin » Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:12 pm

Last edited by Breezin on Thu May 10, 2012 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:40 am

For CCN, I want to say that your competitive. For H, I don't think so. 3.7 - 3.8, based on what is in this thread and what I have gathered from other people, is probably somewhere between 8 - 15% percent.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:55 am

lawyerwannabe wrote:For CCN, I want to say that your competitive. For H, I don't think so. 3.7 - 3.8, based on what is in this thread and what I have gathered from other people, is probably somewhere between 8 - 15% percent.
I'll second this, although a great resume/background/recs might swing the pendulum in your favor for H (which I believe takes a pretty large transfer class). But, unless you're unhappy here, why transfer? You have great grades and, assuming you don't bomb this semester, you're going to have your pick of jobs at OCI. CCN isn't going to give you appreciably better job prospects, and it'll add a lot in COL expenses. H might be worth it if you want to teach, or if you're shooting for the absolute top jobs/clerkships.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:32 pm

Breezin wrote:Is 3.7-3.8 competitive for xfer to H/CCN? I plan to stay at Duke but I'm paying sticker now. Think it's possible to get $?
Perhaps, but there's no reason to. There's no job you can't get if you maintain that GPA, and you'd always have the mark of a transfer on your resume if you moved. If you have a strong academic bent the only possible way transferring makes sense is Yale, and that may hurt your chances at several law firms that can read between the lines. Right now you've got an clear path to law review and any of the high-prestige litigation positions. Why trade being at the top of the class for second-class status?

As for money, you might be able to get some. That's the only real reason to feign transferring.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”