Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
DallasCowboy

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:31 pm

then you get to have the fun of trying to out people this fall!

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:06 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:then you get to have the fun of trying to out people this fall!
Went whole 1L without outing losblancos. So disappointing.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:56 pm

is it not the guy in section 2 who always wears soccer uniforms?

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Probably, never met him though.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:13 pm

Haha, can't wait. Honestly, I don't understand why people are so hesitant to out themselves IRL. I think it'd be cool to meet up with a bunch of TLSers and finally put some faces to the names (er, screen names). As long as people aren't nerding it up IRL ("hey, did you see what crazy shenanigans went down in the lounge last night?!"), I think it'd be fine.

Also, I imagine I'm painfully easy to out. So there's that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:42 am

1L ended up not being nearly as bad as I thought, FWIW. Maybe I just built up a tolerance.

QuailMan

New

Post by QuailMan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:23 pm

DallasCowboy wrote:then you get to have the fun of trying to out people this fall!
O man, I turned right to this page and thought you were talking about outing people as gay and I thought maybe Duke's not such a safe space (and also wondered whats so gay about wearing soccer uniforms).

tlslsnlsp

Bronze

Post by tlslsnlsp » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:42 am

Hey guys, I know I asked this a couple pages back but is there anyone else out there who heard back from Duke after trying to negotiate scholarship amounts? I sent Duke an email listing my other offers 10 days ago and still haven't heard back. I don't want to send a "um can you guys hurry up please" email if I don't have to, but the April 29 deadline for the other schools I'm mainly considering are coming up............

when do you guys think I should pull the trigger and politely ask them to hurry up?

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:23 am

Hey guys, would you happen to know if there's any way to send in the deposit besides mailing a check?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:38 am

jrose5 wrote:Hey guys, would you happen to know if there's any way to send in the deposit besides mailing a check?
You might e-mail them about it, but it looks like they only accept checks and money orders. They don't accept credit cards.

From admitted students site:

"In order to enroll in the 2011 entering class, a non-refundable enrollment deposit of $500 must be received in the Office of Admissions by the date specified in your acceptance letter. Include your name and LSAC Account number or birthdate (mm/dd) on the check or money order made payable to Duke Law School. We are unable to accept credit card payments. The non-refundable enrollment deposit will be credited toward your first semester tuition. Please note that the submission of your tuition deposit indicates that you intend to enroll at Duke Law School. If you submit your tuition deposit to Duke, you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted."

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:45 am

beachbum wrote:
jrose5 wrote:Hey guys, would you happen to know if there's any way to send in the deposit besides mailing a check?
You might e-mail them about it, but it looks like they only accept checks and money orders. They don't accept credit cards.

From admitted students site:

"In order to enroll in the 2011 entering class, a non-refundable enrollment deposit of $500 must be received in the Office of Admissions by the date specified in your acceptance letter. Include your name and LSAC Account number or birthdate (mm/dd) on the check or money order made payable to Duke Law School. We are unable to accept credit card payments. The non-refundable enrollment deposit will be credited toward your first semester tuition. Please note that the submission of your tuition deposit indicates that you intend to enroll at Duke Law School. If you submit your tuition deposit to Duke, you must withdraw from all other law schools to which you have been admitted."
Thanks! that's what I thought, too.

Looking more and more like Duke (over Michigan) everyday.

masochist

Bronze

Post by masochist » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:22 pm

jrose5 wrote:

If you come to Duke, I will buy you a drink.

What will you get if you go to Michigan? Nothing!

There is only one rational choice here.

DOOOOOOK

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:39 pm

masochist wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

DOOOOOOK
This sounds about right to me. Also, Michigan is cold.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 1:15 pm

beachbum wrote:
masochist wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

DOOOOOOK
I like Duke for a variety of reasons... such as small class size, resourcefulness in patent law/biotech law (the field I'm interested in)... and of course warm weather.

Is it just me, or do people tend to be especially enthusiastic about Michigan? It's almost bizarre. I realize it used to be no. 3 and a lot of law firm partners (esp. the older ones) still think it's up there, but if you look at employment statistics Duke and Michigan don't really differ at all (neither do a lot of the other non-HYSCCN T14). But other reasons they cite ("Dean Zearfoss is the best," or, "The campus is amazingly beautiful") seem quite subjective.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:05 pm

jrose5 wrote:
beachbum wrote:
masochist wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

DOOOOOOK
I like Duke for a variety of reasons... such as small class size, resourcefulness in patent law/biotech law (the field I'm interested in)... and of course warm weather.

Is it just me, or do people tend to be especially enthusiastic about Michigan? It's almost bizarre. I realize it used to be no. 3 and a lot of law firm partners (esp. the older ones) still think it's up there, but if you look at employment statistics Duke and Michigan don't really differ at all (neither do a lot of the other non-HYSCCN T14). But other reasons they cite ("Dean Zearfoss is the best," or, "The campus is amazingly beautiful") seem quite subjective.
Meh, I think there's just a larger group of Michigan (and UVA, for that matter) students on TLS than there are Duke students. (Which is to be expected since they have double our class size). And their enthusiasm kinda breeds upon itself, to the point where you can get a pretty one-sided view of certain schools.

But with that said, Michigan really does have a gorgeous law building. And it's definitely awe-inspiring when seen in pictures/on a tour, but I think the architecture would be a little too stuffy/old-school for me to spend 3 years there. At least, when compared to the natural light and more open/modern feel of Duke (which also has incredible law facilities).

And Dean Z is great; I like her general attitude/openness, and I enjoy reading her blog every once in a while. But we have some pretty awesome deans/faculty too (Hoye, Levi, et al).

It's really a personal fit decision between these two schools. And I think you'll definitely hear more pro-Mich sentiments on TLS just due to the larger group of Mich students/0Ls. But when I sat down to compare Michigan and Duke (and Penn and UVA, for that matter), it became abundantly clear that Duke was the school for me. I hope you'll make the same choice, but you really can't go wrong with either of these schools.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:58 pm

We are enthusiastic about Duke. We would just rather gchat or study with each other than post on TLS. The small class size is awesome- you will know everyone. Plus, people in Ann Arbor are always cooped up in a snowstorm with nothing better to do. Since I learned so much from TLS, I feel obligated to give back.

I drank the UVA kool-aid at Duke's expense because of forum trolling. I know where you are coming from.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Apr 22, 2011 4:59 pm

You can satisfy your desire for campus beauty when you walk 2 minutes to the main part of campus. The gym looks like a castle.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

mikunta

New

Post by mikunta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 3:26 am

Hey,

So the deadline is quickly approaching and I need to send in my deposit. Gonna overnight it tomorrow via FedEx. Was wondering if anyone knew the exact address (I dont have time to mess it up). I know I got a letter or something that had it but I cant seem to find it at the moment. This is what I have from the website:

Office of Admissions
Duke University School of Law
210 Science Drive
Duke Box 90393
Durham NC 27708-0393

I seem to remember them saying if it's UPS/FedEx it doesn't need the Box # ? Or am I way off? Just wondering since I don't want this to get screwed up lol

dukejd2012

New

Post by dukejd2012 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:54 am

Hi all,

Current Duke 2L here. Congrats on getting in! Please let me know if I can answer any questions.

And now, for the real devious reason I am here:

I was wondering whether there were any summer starters here who might like to sublet my apartment over the summer. I know for some of you finding a place under such short notice is a bit intimidating; subletting for the summer would give you plenty of time to "shop around" for an apartment while rendering you more able to focus on the start of school (rather than being distracted by, say, buying furniture and getting cable service).

I've got a nice, well-furnished one-bedroom at a place called Woodstone. http://www.gardenviewrealty.com/WOODSTONE/
It's convenient to Duke as well as close to everything you need (grocery stores, etc.). I'm really just looking to break even for the summer, so I would be happy to rent the place out to you below what I actually pay.

If you're interested or have more questions, feel free to contact me @ cubrunner@gmail.com. Thanks.

itimgtd

New

Post by itimgtd » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:40 pm

Checking in.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:22 pm

mikunta wrote:Hey,

So the deadline is quickly approaching and I need to send in my deposit. Gonna overnight it tomorrow via FedEx. Was wondering if anyone knew the exact address (I dont have time to mess it up). I know I got a letter or something that had it but I cant seem to find it at the moment. This is what I have from the website:

Office of Admissions
210 Science Drive
Duke Box 90393
Durham NC 27708-0393

I seem to remember them saying if it's UPS/FedEx it doesn't need the Box # ? Or am I way off? Just wondering since I don't want this to get screwed up lol
I just sent mine and that looks right. The guy at the post office didn't include PO Box #.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mikunta

New

Post by mikunta » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:30 pm

jrose5 wrote:

Office of Admissions
210 Science Drive
Duke Box 90393
Durham NC 27708-0393

I just sent mine and that looks right. The guy at the post office didn't include PO Box #.
Thanks bro. Just sent mine. BTW I'm assuming your SN is a Jalen Rose reference? Dicey to attend Duke over Mich if it is haha

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:35 pm

I'll just leave this here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=125921

Feel free to add your name so we can beat those dirty Virginians.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:38 pm

mikunta wrote:
jrose5 wrote:

Office of Admissions
210 Science Drive
Duke Box 90393
Durham NC 27708-0393

Thanks bro. Just sent mine. BTW I'm assuming your SN is a Jalen Rose reference? Dicey to attend Duke over Mich if it is haha
It's funny because my SN is not a Jalen Rose reference. I made my SN well before I even heard about the controversy, though I actually did end up narrowing my choice down to Duke vs. Michigan.
Glad to be attending Duke next year! It was a hard decision to make, but I'm confident I made the right choice.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:39 pm

beachbum wrote:I'll just leave this here: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=125921

Feel free to add your name so we can beat those dirty Virginians.
Done.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”