Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
arism87

Silver

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by arism87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:27 pm

r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
beachbum wrote: If you don't mind me asking, what was your total (merit-based) scholarship amount?
67.5k.

sorry read the question wrong
Yeah, that's kinda underwhelming given your stats/background. But if you don't want it, feel free to send it my way.
I know, it is a little underwhelming. I am grateful to get anything, just can't look at the letter and get excited about it with UVA in mind. I am not sure negotiating would do anything given the starting point. And it took me so long to get accepted ... I guess I will try to send it your way? :mrgreen:
Are going to try to negotiate? I can't decide if I should

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:06 pm

arism87 wrote:
Do you know how receptive they are to negotiations? They would have to up it quite a bit and I don't know if it's even possible.

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:13 pm

r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Do you know how receptive they are to negotiations? They would have to up it quite a bit and I don't know if it's even possible.
Yeah I've never heard either way, but looking at LSN it doesn't look likely. (It's been awhile since I looked, I might not be remembering correctly)

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:14 pm

r6_philly wrote:
thecilent wrote:I got 20k/year for a deans scholly.

So don't understand: I didn't get any need-based aid? Just the merit-scholly?
Did you get a 4-page letter. If you also had loans and a budget, most likely you will not get need-based. I am a little confused though, the letter says they will evaluate in May - but that's after the deposit deadlines. I don't think I (or anyone) can count on getting any, so I am just going to take it as merit only. Maybe I will email them.
Yeah I got the 4-page letter thing. Definitely let me know if you email them about that.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 pm

arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
Yeah I've never heard either way, but looking at LSN it doesn't look likely. (It's been awhile since I looked, I might not be remembering correctly)
I've heard of them raising amounts before so I think it is possible, but agree with you that it does seem a bit unlikely. Both of you should try though, since you have potentially more attractive options on the table anyway. I sent correspondence in today so we'll see what happens. I'll PM you both if I get a response.. But you both should try too :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:00 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:
arism87 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
arism87 wrote:
I've heard of them raising amounts before so I think it is possible, but agree with you that it does seem a bit unlikely. Both of you should try though, since you have potentially more attractive options on the table anyway. I sent correspondence in today so we'll see what happens. I'll PM you both if I get a response.. But you both should try too :)
Ooo please let me get a PM if they respondd

arism87

Silver

Post by arism87 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:15 pm

lakerfanimal wrote: I've heard of them raising amounts before so I think it is possible, but agree with you that it does seem a bit unlikely. Both of you should try though, since you have potentially more attractive options on the table anyway. I sent correspondence in today so we'll see what happens. I'll PM you both if I get a response.. But you both should try too :)
Thanks, please do! I <3 the south, I'd love to check Duke out

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:07 am

Based on what you all are getting, it looks like I can expect a bunch of loans and a "go get 'em, tiger!". Ah well, I'm gonna keep my hopes unreasonably high until I actually get the bad news.

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:01 am

thecilent wrote: Ooo please let me get a PM if they respondd
Certainly sir. Np Aris!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:03 am

lakerfanimal wrote:
Certainly sir. Np Aris!!
Hope you get it! I am going to ask about the need based aid and matching as well, but not yet. Waiting on Penn's offer still.

champsound

Bronze

Post by champsound » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:59 am

Just like r6 yesterday, I got the scholarship letter in the mail with $67.5k/3yr as well. Same package as described. It looks like need aid won't be given until May. There's a link to a financial aid handbook on their site that is not very useful. http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/financial/handbook

sonervous88

Bronze

Post by sonervous88 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 am

r6_philly wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:
Certainly sir. Np Aris!!
Hope you get it! I am going to ask about the need based aid and matching as well, but not yet. Waiting on Penn's offer still.
when our penn's offers supposed to go out? i'm getting so anxious to just make a decision and be done with this lol

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:12 pm

sonervous88 wrote:
when our penn's offers supposed to go out? i'm getting so anxious to just make a decision and be done with this lol
"next week" is TCR :lol:

But seriously they told me they are meeting again this week. So hope?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:39 pm

champsound wrote:Just like r6 yesterday, I got the scholarship letter in the mail with $67.5k/3yr as well. Same package as described. It looks like need aid won't be given until May. There's a link to a financial aid handbook on their site that is not very useful. http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/financial/handbook
Yeah I found my letter last night and it said the FAFSA hasn't been reviewed yet. I think they based it off the numbers we put on that form, but there could be other need aid coming.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:44 pm

law_monkey wrote:
champsound wrote:Just like r6 yesterday, I got the scholarship letter in the mail with $67.5k/3yr as well. Same package as described. It looks like need aid won't be given until May. There's a link to a financial aid handbook on their site that is not very useful. http://www.law.duke.edu/admis/financial/handbook
Yeah I found my letter last night and it said the FAFSA hasn't been reviewed yet. I think they based it off the numbers we put on that form, but there could be other need aid coming.
Yes but we aren't going to make a decision based on something that could be coming in May.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:03 pm

r6_philly wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
Yes but we aren't going to make a decision based on something that could be coming in May.
Yeah that's what sucks about it. But people who are leaning Duke anyway can possibly have hopes of more need-based aid. Not guaranteed, but it's also not completely out of the question.

StickyIcky

New

Post by StickyIcky » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:19 pm

Hey everyone,

Just got into Duke, weighing it against GULC and Cornell, but leaning towards Durham.

Anyone know what the political/social culture is like? I'm liberal and from the Boston/NY area, and although I'm not close minded (I have some conservative/libertarian leanings as well), I'd honestly say I would prefer to be around people who think likewise with me, especially on social norms (gay marriage, minority rights, etc).

Also, anyone know what the weed culture is like?

Really excited though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:48 pm

StickyIcky wrote:Also, anyone know what the weed culture is like?
haha, I had a feeling this question was coming.

As far as political ideologies, I've heard that there's a pretty good representation from both sides. I definitely wouldn't worry about being stuck in a conservative think-tank, though I imagine Duke is considerably more conservative than, say, Berkeley.

FWIW, I'm socially liberal and will be at Duke in the fall. And I'm certainly not the only one.

ela7117

New

Post by ela7117 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:08 pm

StickyIcky wrote:Hey everyone,

Just got into Duke, weighing it against GULC and Cornell, but leaning towards Durham.

Anyone know what the political/social culture is like? I'm liberal and from the Boston/NY area, and although I'm not close minded (I have some conservative/libertarian leanings as well), I'd honestly say I would prefer to be around people who think likewise with me, especially on social norms (gay marriage, minority rights, etc).

Also, anyone know what the weed culture is like?

Really excited though.
Durham is very chill, tons of liberal, laid back people live in the area. Sure, its no Cali, but there are tons of outdoor enthusiasts and all your social entertainment habits can be satisfied. Check out the Duke Coffeehouse on East Campus for a little counterculture

StickyIcky

New

Post by StickyIcky » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:30 am

ela7117 wrote: Durham is very chill, tons of liberal, laid back people live in the area. Sure, its no Cali, but there are tons of outdoor enthusiasts and all your social entertainment habits can be satisfied. Check out the Duke Coffeehouse on East Campus for a little counterculture
Beautiful, thanks so much.

forward

Bronze

Post by forward » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 pm

"Scholarship Decision Mailed" status appeared. I assume if you aren't getting any cash they don't send you a letter... right?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:13 pm

forward wrote:"Scholarship Decision Mailed" status appeared. I assume if you aren't getting any cash they don't send you a letter... right?
Nah, I think they send you a letter regardless of what you're getting.

But I also just got the letter mailed status (dated 3/14), so we'll see what happens. Good luck to both of us.

Edit: Form was received 2/21.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:55 pm

So apparently Duke offers tons of free and heavily-discounted software to students, including Microsoft Office and McAfee VirusScan. You'll need your NetID (i.e. you'll have to send in your acceptance and tuition deposit), but once you have it you can save lots of money on software.

http://oit.duke.edu/comp-print/software/index.php

There's also a laptop recommendation guide for incoming students. Some highlights: 1) Get a DVD drive, 2) If you're buying a Windows-based machine, opt for the Professional (or Ultimate) version over the Home version, 3) Duke computer repair services Apple, Dell, and Lenovo computers, and 4) There's some good deals on new laptops in the Duke computer store.

http://www.law.duke.edu/computing/incomingstudents

Dunno how much of this is common sense, but I didn't know about it (and found it useful), so hopefully it helps.

Edit: Also, ACC CHAMPS! Suck it, UNC!

tipler4213

Silver

Post by tipler4213 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 pm

Joining this as I worry about aid. I got the 54k offer a week or so ago with the 4-page letter. Are we in agreement that this means no need-based aid and that I will be 150k in debt?

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:13 pm

tipler4213 wrote:Joining this as I worry about aid. I got the 54k offer a week or so ago with the 4-page letter. Are we in agreement that this means no need-based aid and that I will be 150k in debt?
I assume so, although they have not responded to my questions. I wonder why you got the 54k offer, as I remember we have pretty much the same numbers right?

Adding up the 3 years, minus the scholarship, makes you really want to take a fullride + stipend offer from a a T30 school doesn't it? :)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”