Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
beachbum

Gold

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by beachbum » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:19 pm

Real Madrid wrote:Have they mentioned the incoming class medians at orientation yet? I'm going to be applying this fall and would be really interested to know. Thanks!
I doubt they changed much. I've heard the class size is smaller, so it was probably easier to maintain medians.

Also, Duke is awesome. You should come.

Also, I'm already procrastinating on my reading. Off to a good start over here in Durham.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:25 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:Can I where jeans tomorrow to ASW!?!?!? 2Ls and 3Ls let me know!
Been two years since I did this, but I am pretty sure you can. I don't think it is business casual for the rest of the week.

Also, 1Ls, I am curious. How big did they say your class was?

TheFactor

Silver

Post by TheFactor » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:34 pm

beachbum wrote:
Real Madrid wrote:Have they mentioned the incoming class medians at orientation yet? I'm going to be applying this fall and would be really interested to know. Thanks!
I doubt they changed much. I've heard the class size is smaller, so it was probably easier to maintain medians.

Also, I'm already procrastinating on my reading. Off to a good start over here in Durham.
+1 to Duke's awsomeness and to the procrastinating.

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:42 pm

beachbum wrote:

Seriously considering EDing. :D

It's pretty much a toss-up right now between Duke and Michigan as to my favorite. We'll see. :D

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:34 am

Real Madrid wrote:
beachbum wrote:

Seriously considering EDing. :D

It's pretty much a toss-up right now between Duke and Michigan as to my favorite. We'll see. :D
Hmm, four seasons and BBQ vs frozen tundra and Brady Hoke? Easy call to me, bro.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:03 am

I don't think they actually said a total class number, but I think Dean Hoye said there were 174 fall starters, and I think there were ~38 summer starters... so 212?

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:12 pm

stewie27 wrote:I don't think they actually said a total class number, but I think Dean Hoye said there were 174 fall starters, and I think there were ~38 summer starters... so 212?
Sounds about right. I'll find out for sure when we have the fall DBA budget meeting, but I thought I would see what they told y'all.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Bosque wrote:
stewie27 wrote:I don't think they actually said a total class number, but I think Dean Hoye said there were 174 fall starters, and I think there were ~38 summer starters... so 212?
Sounds about right. I'll find out for sure when we have the fall DBA budget meeting, but I thought I would see what they told y'all.
It says 212 in the story about the class on our site.

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:25 pm

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:47 pm

Interesting that LSAT and GPA ranges are down. 17.9% clerkships? Wow. Isn't that much higher than normal? And 15.5% PI???

wfc

New

Post by wfc » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:19 pm

Last edited by wfc on Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:15 am

2Ls / 3Ls: Is the green zone lot that we are supposed to park in (as 1Ls) immediately on the right as soon as you enter campus on Science Dr.? I want to make sure because multiple green zones are listed. Thanks.

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:44 am

yeah thats the option usually. if u fail at that there is one across from the gym (on the roundabout) and the unlucky one way yonder up Duke University. Protip: if you start at 11, you might end up in the far lot, so get there early.

Note that you can park way down in the science dr. pit

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:10 pm

2Ls and 3Ls: Tips for Weiner, Richman, and Andrussier?

Thanks!

lawyerwannabe

Silver

Post by lawyerwannabe » Sun Aug 21, 2011 1:33 pm

jrose5 wrote:2Ls and 3Ls: Tips for Weiner, Richman, and Andrussier?

Thanks!
As a 1L, how about spelling your professors names correctly. :D

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:28 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:2Ls / 3Ls: Is the green zone lot that we are supposed to park in (as 1Ls) immediately on the right as soon as you enter campus on Science Dr.? I want to make sure because multiple green zones are listed. Thanks.
As a two year veteran of the Green Zone (finally out this year! Go Whitford!), I can tell you that you are going to grow to hate that place. We share that lot with the business school (and I think a few other grad students, maybe some hospital workers too), and they don't limit the number of passes sold like they do the Chemistry and Whitford lots. So it ends up over capacity quite often. We also get kicked out for all the games, but that is typical of most parking.

The lot immediately to your right when you enter science drive is the green zone. The road is called Frank Bassett Drive. If you don't see any spots on the drive (and unless you get there before 8:30, you probably wont) keep going and head down the hill on the right, which is where the real parking lot is. If that is full (and between 10:30 and 12:30 there is a good chance it will be), you have a couple options. You can check the small lot on Towerview, but that usually fills up before the main lot does. You can also go check the overflow lot, which is across the street from what you would probably describe as the main entrance to the university. That is a pretty long hike to the law school, and I have never had any luck with the shuttle that is supposed to run over there. Besides, I have seen it at capacity too.

But most of the time if you cannot find a spot you are already running later than you would like, and you don't have time to check those lots and hike all the way back. For those instances, you have a few more options. You can park in the pay lot on science drive. I know people that parked there pretty much all year without paying and didn't get a ticket. However, that is risky, and I would suggest paying if you take that option. A marginally less risky option is parking in the Washington Duke parking lot across Cameron Blvd. Students are not supposed to park there, but the lot is never full and they don't seem to police it. In either of those options, I highly suggest you remember to take off your parking permit, it makes it less obvious. And of course, be prepared to possibly pay a ticket.

Finally, if you don't want to go all the way to the overflow lot and you don't want to chance the other two lots, you can try the Al Buehler Trail dirt lots. There is one East of Science Drive on Cameron, and one West. Those are perfectly legal to park in, although they too are a bit of a hike. But they tend to be empty during the middle of the day when you would need them.

And those are your options as a 1L or an unlucky 2L who loses the parking lottery. You can take some comfort in all the exercise you will be getting walking to and from you car though! And remember, if you have class after 5:30 next year you can park in the law lot behind the building.

Jericwithers

Gold

Post by Jericwithers » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:35 pm

Bosque wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:2Ls / 3Ls: Is the green zone lot that we are supposed to park in (as 1Ls) immediately on the right as soon as you enter campus on Science Dr.? I want to make sure because multiple green zones are listed. Thanks.
As a two year veteran of the Green Zone (finally out this year! Go Whitford!), I can tell you that you are going to grow to hate that place. We share that lot with the business school (and I think a few other grad students, maybe some hospital workers too), and they don't limit the number of passes sold like they do the Chemistry and Whitford lots. So it ends up over capacity quite often. We also get kicked out for all the games, but that is typical of most parking.

The lot immediately to your right when you enter science drive is the green zone. The road is called Frank Bassett Drive. If you don't see any spots on the drive (and unless you get there before 8:30, you probably wont) keep going and head down the hill on the right, which is where the real parking lot is. If that is full (and between 10:30 and 12:30 there is a good chance it will be), you have a couple options. You can check the small lot on Towerview, but that usually fills up before the main lot does. You can also go check the overflow lot, which is across the street from what you would probably describe as the main entrance to the university. That is a pretty long hike to the law school, and I have never had any luck with the shuttle that is supposed to run over there. Besides, I have seen it at capacity too.

But most of the time if you cannot find a spot you are already running later than you would like, and you don't have time to check those lots and hike all the way back. For those instances, you have a few more options. You can park in the pay lot on science drive. I know people that parked there pretty much all year without paying and didn't get a ticket. However, that is risky, and I would suggest paying if you take that option. A marginally less risky option is parking in the Washington Duke parking lot across Cameron Blvd. Students are not supposed to park there, but the lot is never full and they don't seem to police it. In either of those options, I highly suggest you remember to take off your parking permit, it makes it less obvious. And of course, be prepared to possibly pay a ticket.

Finally, if you don't want to go all the way to the overflow lot and you don't want to chance the other two lots, you can try the Al Buehler Trail dirt lots. There is one East of Science Drive on Cameron, and one West. Those are perfectly legal to park in, although they too are a bit of a hike. But they tend to be empty during the middle of the day when you would need them.

And those are your options as a 1L or an unlucky 2L who loses the parking lottery. You can take some comfort in all the exercise you will be getting walking to and from you car though! And remember, if you have class after 5:30 next year you can park in the law lot behind the building.
5 or 5:30 for law lot access?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Sun Aug 21, 2011 2:44 pm

Jericwithers wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Pretty sure on the books it says 5:30, but I have got in as early as 4:45 before.

Also I had some friends start showing up and getting into the law lot before school for finals my 1L year. First semester everyone who did that turned out ok, but second semester they were caught and got tickets. In case anyone else comes up with the same brilliant plan, just thought I would let you know the success rate.

Although doing that for a take home if you were planning on writing it at home might not be a bad idea.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:14 pm

Bosque wrote:
Jericwithers wrote:
Bosque wrote:

Pretty sure on the books it says 5:30, but I have got in as early as 4:45 before.

Also I had some friends start showing up and getting into the law lot before school for finals my 1L year. First semester everyone who did that turned out ok, but second semester they were caught and got tickets. In case anyone else comes up with the same brilliant plan, just thought I would let you know the success rate.

Although doing that for a take home if you were planning on writing it at home might not be a bad idea.
A friend of mine used to get to school early in the morning so he could park in the law lot. It worked for a long time and then he got caught. After one ticket in three months he figured he'd just keep doing it, but after the first one he got a second and third within a week or two and the fines were higher. If you want to park someone closer than the green zone, your best bet is the visitor lot. Fines are only $50ish and they don't patron it that often. Unfortunately, they close it for basketball and other events pretty often.

jrose5

Silver

Post by jrose5 » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:19 pm

lawyerwannabe wrote:

Thanks!
Wiener.

My friend's last name is Weiner, and I just assumed it was the same name. Interesting.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Mon Aug 22, 2011 5:38 pm

jrose5 wrote:
lawyerwannabe wrote:

Thanks!
Wiener.

My friend's last name is Weiner, and I just assumed it was the same name. Interesting.
He pronounces it just like Oscar Mayer.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

stewie27

Bronze

Post by stewie27 » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:07 am

I still have a question about parking. I've asked some people in real-life and got weird/conflicting answers... hoping faceless people on the internet will know more.
With a green pass, you can park in other lots on weekends/evenings, correct? Are the gates still down at those times/does swiping your green pass in the card thing open it?

thickfreakness

Silver

Post by thickfreakness » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:47 am

stewie27 wrote:I still have a question about parking. I've asked some people in real-life and got weird/conflicting answers... hoping faceless people on the internet will know more.
With a green pass, you can park in other lots on weekends/evenings, correct? Are the gates still down at those times/does swiping your green pass in the card thing open it?
Swipe your student ID and you can get into the law lot anytime on the weekend, or after 5 on weekdays. Football and basketball games mess that up sometimes, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.

Bosque

Gold

Post by Bosque » Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:04 pm

thickfreakness wrote:
stewie27 wrote:I still have a question about parking. I've asked some people in real-life and got weird/conflicting answers... hoping faceless people on the internet will know more.
Swipe your student ID and you can get into the law lot anytime on the weekend, or after 5 on weekdays. Football and basketball games mess that up sometimes, but otherwise you shouldn't have any problems.
As for the other lots, it depends on the lot. I know you can use you green zone pass to swipe into the parking structure by the chapel weekends/evenings. There are few other lots you can do this with too (I know of one on East campus and I think you can swipe into the lot in front of the gym, not sure about the others). I know there are some lots you can't swipe into, usually anything like the law lot that is specific to a building.

mikunta

New

Post by mikunta » Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Is the general consensus that the womens law students club outlines are pretty solid? Or no?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”