Duke Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
dannyde7

Bronze

Re: Duke Law Class of 2014

Post by dannyde7 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 am

delusional wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:
r6_philly wrote:
dannyde7 wrote:Just got back from the NYC reception. Had an awesome time. Ended up getting hammered with a bunch of alums and 0Ls and going out to a bar after. Thought I'd let the TLS world know.
I planned to go but my son was sick so I had to stay home with him. Double bummed because he is sick and I couldn't go.

How was Cravath? And did you meet the other TLSers there?

Cravath was great. It's a mammoth building. There was a lot of food and wine and beer. Not all of the alums there worked at Cravath-- most worked at firms from all over the city. I don't think I met any TLSers, but who knows. I definitely didn't ask people if they spent time on TLS while I was at the event.
Was in Manhattan a few weeks back. Walked past Cravath, and my thoughts were OMFG what a freaking awesome looking building. Two weeks later, I got into Duke, and got the email, but I didn't RSVP because I didn't think there was a chance that I could leave work early, and trek into the city. Just my luck, I ended up working in Manhattan on Thursday, but it was too late to RSVP by the time I found out.
yea dude you missed a crazy law school dance party

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:50 pm

My status checker updated to scholarship decision mailed 2/23. So apparently they're mailing it tomorrow but updated it today. I'm a little nervous because this will probably determine how much Duke stays on my list.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:54 pm

As with Monkey, scholarship being mailed tomorrow... this is a big one for me. Duke with any money at all easily becomes #1 choice (as if it weren't already...).

I assume if they're mailing it, there will be something in it, not just loans???

edited for vagueness

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 9:56 pm

law_monkey wrote:My status checker updated to scholarship decision mailed 2/23. So apparently they're mailing it tomorrow but updated it today. I'm a little nervous because this will probably determine how much Duke stays on my list.
mr_toad wrote:Scholarship form also for tomorrow... this is a big one for me. Duke with any money at all easily becomes #1 choice (as if it weren't already...).
When were your scholarship forms received?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:01 pm

Late December.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:18 pm

mr_toad wrote:Late December.
Same for me. I don't know if an actual letter signifies money or not since no one on here has posted what no money looks like. This is also my first T14 money notification, so I have no idea what to expect.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:29 pm

I would imagine it will be our complete financial aid package, right? Or do you think it would just be a letter that says yes/no/how much?

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:35 pm

mr_toad wrote:I would imagine it will be our complete financial aid package, right? Or do you think it would just be a letter that says yes/no/how much?
I'm pretty sure it includes everything (scholarships and loans, both merit- and need-based). Also good to see some movement on the scholarship front. I know they didn't start reviewing those forms until mid January, so hopefully things are picking up now. (Mine was received two days ago...)

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:39 pm

mr_toad wrote:I would imagine it will be our complete financial aid package, right? Or do you think it would just be a letter that says yes/no/how much?
Most other schools I have talked to are only doing merit scholarships or merit/need grants at this point. Unless COA has been announced for next year it isn't possible to have a full package.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:40 pm

beachbum wrote:
I'm pretty sure it includes everything (scholarships and loans, both merit- and need-based). Also good to see some movement on the scholarship front. I know they didn't start reviewing those forms until mid January, so hopefully things are picking up now. (Mine was received two days ago...)
Aaahhh I'm so nervous. But I don't think it'll have everything since I just sent in my Need Access and FAFSA. I don't think they would've decided that quickly, but then who knows. I mean we had to fill in financial info on that form, but would they really decide all that without the complete financial picture that the other documents give?

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:42 pm

Duke doesn't take Need Access, but your point is well taken. I think bdubs is right and it'll just be scholly info.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:50 pm

mr_toad wrote:Duke doesn't take Need Access, but your point is well taken. I think bdubs is right and it'll just be scholly info.
Oh yeah that's right. I had to look into so much financial aid stuff I can't keep anything straight anymore! :P

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Tue Feb 22, 2011 10:52 pm

bdubs wrote:
Most other schools I have talked to are only doing merit scholarships or merit/need grants at this point. Unless COA has been announced for next year it isn't possible to have a full package.
Ah, good call. You're probably right.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

farrellaroonie

New

Post by farrellaroonie » Tue Feb 22, 2011 11:58 pm

My status checker was updated today to "scholarship decision mailed" as well (after going to "decision made" earlier in the day). I submitted my form in late December. Right now I am between Duke and Michigan, and some good money could make me a smiling blue devil.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 12:40 am

farrellaroonie wrote:My status checker was updated today to "scholarship decision mailed" as well (after going to "decision made" earlier in the day). I submitted my form in late December. Right now I am between Duke and Michigan, and some good money could make me a smiling blue devil.
It's actually driving me a little crazy that it's in order of submission date so there's no pattern to say whether or not getting a letter now is a good thing haha.

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:39 pm

farrellaroonie wrote:My status checker was updated today to "scholarship decision mailed" as well (after going to "decision made" earlier in the day). I submitted my form in late December. Right now I am between Duke and Michigan, and some good money could make me a smiling blue devil.
Ugh I've completely forgotten my pw for the duke status checker (it was the first school I apped to and I got in quickly) so I'm just going to be playing Mailbox Surprise for the next week or so.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:42 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
Ugh I've completely forgotten my pw for the duke status checker (it was the first school I apped to and I got in quickly) so I'm just going to be playing Mailbox Surprise for the next week or so.
Well at least you know they're going in order, so if you submitted late December now would be the time to start watching.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:44 pm

law_monkey wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
Well at least you know they're going in order, so if you submitted late December now would be the time to start watching.
Oh wait! There's a pw retrieval option. But of course I've managed to lock myself out for 30 mins because I tried every other password first. Sigh. Life fail.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:51 pm

whathojeeves wrote:
law_monkey wrote:
whathojeeves wrote:
Oh wait! There's a pw retrieval option. But of course I've managed to lock myself out for 30 mins because I tried every other password first. Sigh. Life fail.
Haha I did that when I tried to log on to get my tax documents right in the middle of filling out my FAFSA. It was so annoying since I finally had time to work on it, and then I couldn't answer any of the questions for half an hour. :oops:

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:20 pm

I got the scholarship notice on my online status too. I hope all of us get huuuge amounts of money haha. Also just registered for the ASW and diversity reception! Excited to meet everyone

whathojeeves

Bronze

Post by whathojeeves » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:22 pm

Okay, so apparently they haven't sent mine out yet. Blurgh. Hopefully soon though, as I sent it during the break and it processed early Jan.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Feb 23, 2011 6:29 pm

lakerfanimal wrote:I got the scholarship notice on my online status too. I hope all of us get huuuge amounts of money haha. Also just registered for the ASW and diversity reception! Excited to meet everyone
Yeah I don't know because no one's said if they didn't get anything (which is completely understandable). But since every admitted student gets a form I'm sure some people get nothing. :(

lakerfanimal

Bronze

Post by lakerfanimal » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:08 pm

law_monkey wrote:
lakerfanimal wrote:I got the scholarship notice on my online status too. I hope all of us get huuuge amounts of money haha. Also just registered for the ASW and diversity reception! Excited to meet everyone
Yeah I don't know because no one's said if they didn't get anything (which is completely understandable). But since every admitted student gets a form I'm sure some people get nothing. :(
That's true, but I'm staying optimistic because looking at LSN from last year, it seems like almost everyone gets something from there. Many of the accepted students that didn't have any money by their name didn't list money for anywhere else either.. I'm guessing they probably got something too :)

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:15 pm

LSN has weird data for Duke. I mean, if you look at the graph, they've only accepted about 25 people with <170s, out of about 185 acceptances. At that ratio, it would make sense if almost everyone got some money seeing as how the sub-median LSATs seem to be very under-represented on LSN.

mr_toad

Silver

Post by mr_toad » Wed Feb 23, 2011 7:18 pm

Last year's data shows only 32 sub 170 acceptances out of the first two pages (~200 acceptances, not ranked). Clearly the higher LSATs are over-represented, and it would seem logical that a higher percentage of such people would enjoy scholarship offers than is perhaps the norm. Right?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”