Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Eugenie Danglars

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:05 pm

D-hops wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm torn between my love for their waffle fries and my distaste for the way they put personal beliefs into business.

Quite frankly, their chicken sandwich and waffle fries outweigh any religious or homophobic corporate ideals. It's not like I am working there.

Yeah, I only feel guilty til I take the first bite. ;-)

Aine

Postby Aine » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:04 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:I'm torn between my love for their waffle fries and my distaste for the way they put personal beliefs into business.

Quite frankly, their chicken sandwich and waffle fries outweigh any religious or homophobic corporate ideals. It's not like I am working there.

Speaking of food, I was just in North India and had some wonderful momos --and thought of our proposed TLS meetup in Nepal. SO DELICIOUS.

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:02 am

lawandi wrote:
SMA22 wrote:Just got an email from Latham & Watkins; I got a Law Preview scholly--any of you gunners, see you there... Any other winners?

I did!! So excited! "Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholar" will look nice on our resumes too. What class are you taking? I'm doing the June one at USC.

Awesome, congrats :D I'm taking it in Chi in July; we'll have to compare notes after we're finished and offer our opinions up. I decided in April that in spite of my intrigue on whether the course would make me feel better starting classes, I had a hard time parting with the money and decided not to attend. It was like LSAT prep all over again, you know?

When I got the email, I was thrilled--I have to admit, I do feel good about attending, and I don't feel like a sucker because if it's not helpful, we didn't pay! Not sure they can make me a wunderkind, but it should be fun :lol:

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 10:08 am

Aine wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:
D-hops wrote:

Speaking of food, I was just in North India and had some wonderful momos --and thought of our proposed TLS meetup in Nepal. SO DELICIOUS.

I have no idea what the hell a momo is, but the way you describe them, I'm tempted to hop a plane and meet you in Nepal. Yummy...

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sat Jun 04, 2011 5:00 pm

SMA22 wrote:I have no idea what the hell a momo is

We talked about it a dozen or two pages ago in this thread. It's one of these guys:

SMA22

Postby SMA22 » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:51 pm

Bumi wrote:

We talked about it a dozen or two pages ago in this thread. It's one of these guys:

Wonder if Chick-Fil-A would consider deep frying that guy...

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:53 pm

SMA22 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Pretty sure that thing's Biblically unclean, so no.

Aine

Postby Aine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 4:17 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Pretty sure that thing's Biblically unclean, so no.

LOL

Aine

Postby Aine » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:32 am

On a less hilarious note, does anyone know where on the financial aid offer it lists your expected contribution? Trying to figure out if 1. they don't expect me to contribute anything or 2. I'm missing something.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:15 pm

Aine wrote:On a less hilarious note, does anyone know where on the financial aid offer it lists your expected contribution? Trying to figure out if 1. they don't expect me to contribute anything or 2. I'm missing something.

Yeah, it's basically meaningless. Mine was something like 11k, but you just end up borrowing that as GradPlus.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Aine wrote:On a less hilarious note, does anyone know where on the financial aid offer it lists your expected contribution? Trying to figure out if 1. they don't expect me to contribute anything or 2. I'm missing something.

Define "expected." If what you are "expected" to contribute means you don't get loans for that amount, it doesn't exist AFAIK. But there is an expected contribution that is calculated so that they can compare us based on how poor we all are.

Aine

Postby Aine » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:01 am

Bumi wrote:

Define "expected." If what you are "expected" to contribute means you don't get loans for that amount, it doesn't exist AFAIK. But there is an expected contribution that is calculated so that they can compare us based on how poor we all are.

Wait but then why is my total loan amount 1k less than the COA?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 am

Aine wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Sometimes they make mistakes, they could have left off your computer funds from the offered loan amounts. When I first got my financial aid accept/decline the amounts were all messed up.

miazdc

Postby miazdc » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:57 am

Sorry to derail this thread, but:

I'll be a 1L at Loyola this fall, and I'm looking for a roommate (or roommates?). I've heard too much about law school classes being like high school, and thus I'd rather not live with a fellow-Loyolan. If anyone is interested in looking for apartments together, PM me.

Basic stats:
-23 yr old female
-looking for a place on the red line (or possible brown), don't want to go too far north (nothing past lakeview-ish?)
-low cost is the most important (<650 hopefully?)
-I'm open about pretty much everything else

Thanks!

Aine

Postby Aine » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:05 am

bdubs wrote:
Aine wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Sometimes they make mistakes, they could have left off your computer funds from the offered loan amounts. When I first got my financial aid accept/decline the amounts were all messed up.

Thanks, bdubs. That student loan quiz was AWFUL by the way, a part of me died on each page.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 am

Aine wrote:Thanks, bdubs. That student loan quiz was AWFUL by the way, a part of me died on each page.

At some point I realized there was no penalty for a wrong answer, so as far as my quiz results can indicate, federal loans have an interest rate of 100.7% but never actually have to be repaid.

Aine

Postby Aine » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:Thanks, bdubs. That student loan quiz was AWFUL by the way, a part of me died on each page.

At some point I realized there was no penalty for a wrong answer, so as far as my quiz results can indicate, federal loans have an interest rate of 100.7% but never actually have to be repaid.

Ha I was gchatting with a 3L friend while taking it, and he told me he'd taken a .gov quiz where you had to take it over again until you got EVERY ANSWER CORRECT. So I was actually reading all the information and making a point to answer them correctly. Sigh.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:06 am

The answers are all "true" or "all of the above"...Silly government. I love how it tests your knowledge as little as possible.

mango2281

Postby mango2281 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:02 am

Joining the NU '14 crew! Anyone from Boston?

Only a couple months left before orientation, during which I need to
a. finish my masters thesis so I can actually graduate before moving on to law school
b. get married
c. find a decent place to live in Chicago and haul all my stuff (divided between Korea and Boston) there
d. have fun with new hobbies - I'm taking tennis and guitar lessons :) Hopefully I'll get good enough to play for stress relief as opposed to getting more stressed at my ineptitude, which tends to happen when I play golf lol

On a related note, do you guys think it's possible to go on a belated honeymoon during winter break? Do people generally take the few weeks off, or do people start gunning for second semester?

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 pm

mango2281 wrote:On a related note, do you guys think it's possible to go on a belated honeymoon during winter break? Do people generally take the few weeks off, or do people start gunning for second semester?

Good luck on getting yourself ready for law school! Sounds like you're busy!

My take on this is that a honeymoon is exactly what you want to do during winter break. This would be an excellent question for the questions/challenges thread though. My sense is that you'll be wiped out after first semester finals and you need to relax and get your sanity back.

I think the only thing you'd really want to do is start working on 1L summer jobs.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:57 pm

Looking for apartment recommendations/tips (1br, cat friendly, within 30 mins of school by public transit). Endlessly scouring padmapper is gonna be fun.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:25 pm

Welcome, Mango! :-) Are you in Asia now? I'd love to add another to our (mine and Aine's) crew!

Good luck with getting everything done, and best wished for your wedding. I leased a place in the Noble Square area- it's very close along the 66 bus route, and stuff is much cheaper and still nice than right by school.

Hannibal

Postby Hannibal » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Congrats BK! Holy shit.

Aine

Postby Aine » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:19 am

mango2281 wrote:Joining the NU '14 crew! Anyone from Boston?

No but lived there for a few years. Loved it. One year in Fenway and one in Brookline --worked in the Financial District. Miss it :) you there now, or asia?

bk1

Postby bk1 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:31 pm

I'm having trouble accessing the admitted student site. Anybody else?

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”