Northwestern Law Class of 2014 Forum

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Z3RO

Silver

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Post by Z3RO » Mon May 16, 2011 10:16 pm

Bumi wrote:PSA:
@tweetsbyjohann wrote:fwiw- we participate in the LSAC commitment overlap process.
I hope none of you tried to double deposit!
Yikes. I got in off of hold after already putting my first deposit down at Gtown. I just told GULC now that I want to withdraw. Do you think NU is gonna think I'm trying to double-deposit?

*Edit*

I realize now that the double-deposit thing is only relevant after June 15th, but just to cover my bases, I sent a note to NU explaining.

Protip: getting into your dream school makes you neurotic.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:31 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Just found out that Chicago sales tax is 9.75%. O_O
And apparently that's a reduced amount! One more reason to live in the burbs!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue May 17, 2011 8:34 am

Z3RO wrote:
@tweetsbyjohann wrote:fwiw- we participate in the LSAC commitment overlap process.
Yikes. I got in off of hold after already putting my first deposit down at Gtown. I just told GULC now that I want to withdraw. Do you think NU is gonna think I'm trying to double-deposit?

*Edit*

I realize now that the double-deposit thing is only relevant after June 15th, but just to cover my bases, I sent a note to NU explaining.

That is entirely credited. For almost every piece of correspondence I've sent NU, I end up sending a follow up "Did you get it" email the next day.

Eugenie Danglars

Gold

Post by Eugenie Danglars » Tue May 17, 2011 10:10 am

homestyle28 wrote:

So just because 9.75% is reduced doesn't make it good...? Wish I could live in the burbs, too!

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Tue May 17, 2011 10:12 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

So just because 9.75% is reduced doesn't make it good...? Wish I could live in the burbs, too!
Well the more fellow classmates/renters I have signed up the bigger house I can buy, how do you feel about living in an unfinished attic/basement...reasonable rates apply :) Also the burb I'm looking at is only down to 8.8%, so not exactly Vermont.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue May 17, 2011 10:18 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

Groceries are taxed at 2.25%, so if you really want to cut down on expenditures don't buy a whole lot of non-grocery items in Chicago.

Save your money and try to get a job in Skadden's Wilmington office :-)

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 am

Coming from Oregon, sales tax will be a serious culture shock for me. We don't even have to pay Washington's sales tax when we go north, if we show Oregon ID.

No one has ever given me a good reason as to why shops can't include the tax in the price marked on the tag, so you actually know what you're going to be charged. Getting up to the register and having to find extra change to pay for a $0.99 candy bar makes no sense. Just mark the price tag $1.08!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Tue May 17, 2011 11:13 am

rinkrat19 wrote:Coming from Oregon, sales tax will be a serious culture shock for me. We don't even have to pay Washington's sales tax when we go north, if we show Oregon ID.

No one has ever given me a good reason as to why shops can't include the tax in the price marked on the tag, so you actually know what you're going to be charged. Getting up to the register and having to find extra change to pay for a $0.99 candy bar makes no sense. Just mark the price tag $1.08!
You know that if that wasn't mandatory some stores would include and some wouldn't, which would turn into a major mess. So mandatory inclusion of sales taxes would have to be done by statute, which retailers generally oppose (it makes it look like prices are going up and makes it harder to compete with other tax jurisdictions).

It annoys me too though. It was nicer in Europe where VAT was included in all marked prices.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue May 17, 2011 11:40 am

Suburban cook county is still ~10%. Most of the close suburbs are in Cook. Palatine was at 10.5% a year ago.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Z3RO

Silver

Post by Z3RO » Tue May 17, 2011 11:45 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:

*Edit*

That is entirely credited. For almost every piece of correspondence I've sent NU, I end up sending a follow up "Did you get it" email the next day.
You have no idea how much better that makes me feel about my email barrages.

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:24 am

Has anyone/everyone done the shot record/health form stuff yet? I just realized it's already overdue and that might cost me $100! wish they had made this a little clearer to me!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:25 am

homestyle28 wrote:Has anyone/everyone done the shot record/health form stuff yet? I just realized it's already overdue and that might cost me $100! wish they had made this a little clearer to me!
:?: :?:

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Has anyone/everyone done the shot record/health form stuff yet? I just realized it's already overdue and that might cost me $100! wish they had made this a little clearer to me!
it's on the admitted students page under pre-matriculation checklist.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:28 am

Flips88 wrote:
+1 - I never received that form, or anything else regarding enrollment details from NU for that matter.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:29 am

They told me I'm supposed to get my admitted student portfolio thing in the mail this week, but it's yet to show up. Anything useful in there?

ETA: The pre-matriculation guide is labeled as the "AJD pre-matriculation guide"
Last edited by Flips88 on Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:31 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
isn't that for AJD's? I don't see a regular 3 year checklist anywhere.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

...Where is the pre matriculation checklist?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:34 am

Flips88 wrote:They told me I'm supposed to get my admitted student portfolio thing in the mail this week, but it's yet to show up. Anything useful in there?

ETA: The pre-matriculation guide is labeled as the "AJD pre-matriculation guide"
hopefully RC fail, but the health form says IL state law requires it

link to form: http://www-chicago.nuhs.northwestern.ed ... health.pdf

ed: A little breath of relief for fall matriculation it says due date is july 1

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:37 am

homestyle28 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:They told me I'm supposed to get my admitted student portfolio thing in the mail this week, but it's yet to show up. Anything useful in there?

I know. A couple weeks ago I asked if there was anything else I needed to do and the woman responded "That is all for now! We will send out a Pre-Matriculation Guide later this month on the admit website." So maybe the regular JD one will be up soon. Don't AJDs start earlier than us?

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:48 am

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I know. A couple weeks ago I asked if there was anything else I needed to do and the woman responded "That is all for now! We will send out a Pre-Matriculation Guide later this month on the admit website." So maybe the regular JD one will be up soon. Don't AJDs start earlier than us?
Yeah AJDs start in May I believe so the earlier deadline makes sense...But I suppose I'd better start now seeing if I can track down my shot records...do you think getting all these vaccines at once as an adult will instantly make me autistic?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:51 am

Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I think AJDs just started recently.

It seems like the administration is generally behind on a lot of things. I e-mailed them to ask about 2011-2012 tuition and COA budget, but they couldn't even give me a schedule for when it would be available (knowing how much money I can use towards housing is quickly becoming a necessary piece of information). Hopefully they get their act together now that the school year is over.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:52 am

bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:

I think AJDs just started recently.

It seems like the administration is generally behind on a lot of things. I e-mailed them to ask about 2011-2012 tuition and COA budget, but they couldn't even give me a schedule for when it would be available (knowing how much money I can use towards housing is becoming a necessary piece of information). Hopefully they get their act together now that the school year is over.
Have you not gotten your financial aid thing yet that has the COA in it?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu May 19, 2011 11:53 am

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote: I think AJDs just started recently.

It seems like the administration is generally behind on a lot of things. I e-mailed them to ask about 2011-2012 tuition and COA budget, but they couldn't even give me a schedule for when it would be available (knowing how much money I can use towards housing is becoming a necessary piece of information). Hopefully they get their act together now that the school year is over.
Yes, but mine used the 2010-2011 COA budget and said that it would be revised.

Did yours use a 2011-2012 budget?

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Mine was like bdubs but, honestly, i don't plan on borrowing any more than the 2011 allotment.

splitmuch

Silver

Post by splitmuch » Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am

bdubs wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Mine was like bdubs but, honestly, i don't plan on borrowing any more than the 2010 allotment.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”