Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
homestyle28

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:55 pm

You younguns with your concerts and music fests...when is this thread going to turn to talk of the acceptability of bringing an infant to class? Or getting spit-up out of interview suits at a moments notice?

I call ageism!

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 11, 2011 2:01 pm

homestyle28 wrote:You younguns with your concerts and music fests...when is this thread going to turn to talk of the acceptability of bringing an infant to class? Or getting spit-up out of interview suits at a moments notice?

I call ageism!

Im impressed you know how to post on a message board old man.

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Wed May 11, 2011 2:04 pm

Flips88 wrote:I'm planning on moving up Aug 1st and heading to Lollapalooza so if anyone else in here is a music festival fan, hit me up. I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends crashing at my apartment the first week I'm in Chicago :P

I'm also doin Lolla so definitely hit me up, I should be pretty welll settled in by then (moving to Chi in mid-July, woo!)

Flustercluck

Postby Flustercluck » Wed May 11, 2011 2:06 pm

splitmuch wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:You younguns with your concerts and music fests...when is this thread going to turn to talk of the acceptability of bringing an infant to class? Or getting spit-up out of interview suits at a moments notice?

I call ageism!

It's only because his kid is the E*TRADE baby...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:08 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I'm planning on moving up Aug 1st and heading to Lollapalooza so if anyone else in here is a music festival fan, hit me up. I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends crashing at my apartment the first week I'm in Chicago :P

I'm also doin Lolla so definitely hit me up, I should be pretty welll settled in by then (moving to Chi in mid-July, woo!)

Depending on when you're moving, you should hit up Pitchfork Music Festival (or as they affectionately call it: PoFoMoFo): --LinkRemoved--

It's much more indie and hipster than Lolla: see Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, TVotR

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 11, 2011 2:15 pm

Flustercluck wrote:
splitmuch wrote:

I call ageism!

It's only because his kid is the E*TRADE baby...

this is true. I dictate everything and occasionally fax things to the board.

FredFlinstone

Postby FredFlinstone » Wed May 11, 2011 3:01 pm

lawandi wrote:
FredFlinstone wrote:Wow... your summers all seem so much more interesting than mine. I just hope to get in as much basketball as I can before school starts. From what I hear, there won't be too much time to play basketball during first year law.

Lawandi, maybe I'm a noob, but what is a 0L book?

Law School Confidential, Getting to Maybe, that sort of thing... Basically books that talk about the 1L experience and give you advice.

Oh cool! That sounds like good preparation, I might read a few of those myself!

aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed May 11, 2011 3:34 pm

Flips88 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

Depending on when you're moving, you should hit up Pitchfork Music Festival (or as they affectionately call it: PoFoMoFo): --LinkRemoved--

It's much more indie and hipster than Lolla: see Fleet Foxes, Animal Collective, TVotR

I've wanted to go to Pitchfork, but the timing just doesn't work out for me. Flying to Chicago from Ft. Lauderdale isn't cheap (especially when I *should* be saving my money!)

The DMB Caravan lineup also looks pretty good...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:41 pm

aesmith wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

I've wanted to go to Pitchfork, but the timing just doesn't work out for me. Flying to Chicago from Ft. Lauderdale isn't cheap (especially when I *should* be saving my money!)

Yeah. That's the 3 days after Lolla I think. There's also North Coast Festival on Labor Day weekend. It's more of an electronica/hip hop festival

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 11, 2011 3:42 pm

aesmith wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:

Yeah if they just got rid of DMB itd be awesome.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:46 pm

splitmuch wrote:
Yeah if they just got rid of DMB itd be awesome.

:lol: QFT. If I went, I'd leave before DMB played each night

I'd like to see:
Friday: OAR, Edward Sharpe, Amos Lee, Bobby Long
Sat: Kid Cudi, Ben Folds, Dumpstaphunk
Sun: Flaming Lips, Michael Franti, Sharon Jones & the Dap kings

OH and just realized it's July 8-10, not August. Oh well. Not missing much. Cudi will be at Lolla

Remnantofisrael

Postby Remnantofisrael » Sat May 14, 2011 8:24 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:Congrats to the new admits. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the end of August.

+1

I'm planning on moving up Aug 1st and heading to Lollapalooza so if anyone else in here is a music festival fan, hit me up. I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends crashing at my apartment the first week I'm in Chicago :P

Hey man- I will likely be there. Make sure you check out Kids these Days. They are fantastic. Shameless plug.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriAvnEc ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ObNOZuutqQ

Also, who is actually in chicago right now? Need to have a grab a beer thing over the summer.

Anyone who wants info on living a bit west (wicker park, bucktown) let me know. I'm out there, with two kids, and we love it. I'd love it more if I was single. SO MUCH to do. And not yuppie and overpriced like lincoln park (that's my jealousy speaking because if I could afford a nice 3bed there, I'd prolly be there).

Its a 4 minute train and a 15 minute bus to campus, which is very doable.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun May 15, 2011 4:51 am

Are they any AJD folks still around? Good luck with your semester :-)

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun May 15, 2011 7:00 pm

I've been living in Chicago for about 3 years now.

One thing that I don't understand is how so many people are managing to get apartments in Streetersville. The NU cost of living loans are pretty tight, and I'm already deeply worried about moving to an apartment 30 minutes away on the red line where my girlfriend and I split the monthly rent of 1050. How are people able to pay 1200/mo on their own and have any money left over to eat?
Last edited by Z3RO on Sun May 15, 2011 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun May 15, 2011 7:03 pm

Z3RO wrote:I've been living in Chicago for about 3 years now.

One thing that I don't understand is how so many people are managing to get apartments in Streetersville. The NU cost of living loans are pretty tight, and I'm already deeply worried about moving to an apartment where my girlfriend and I split the monthly rent of 1050. How are people able to pay 1200/mo on their own and have any money left over to eat?

I think a lot of people use money allotted for other things like "travel" or "personal" to cover room and board. I do remember several NU 1L's posting in the winter they were having trouble making ends meet; some got part time jobs, I believe.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun May 15, 2011 7:13 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:

One thing that I don't understand is how so many people are managing to get apartments in Streetersville. The NU cost of living loans are pretty tight, and I'm already deeply worried about moving to an apartment where my girlfriend and I split the monthly rent of 1050. How are people able to pay 1200/mo on their own and have any money left over to eat?

I think a lot of people use money allotted for other things like "travel" or "personal" to cover room and board. I do remember several NU 1L's posting in the winter they were having trouble making ends meet; some got part time jobs, I believe.

That makes sense. I mean, I haven't seen the spreadsheets yet, but my own number crunching (assuming you get the 2k for a computer) says that you get 18,570 your first year to live on. If you divide this over 12 months (assuming you don't get a paid summer gig), you have 1,547 a month. 1,200 in rent only leaves you 347 for absolutely everything else, which is like 10 bucks a day.

Yikes.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun May 15, 2011 7:15 pm

Z3RO wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

That makes sense. I mean, I haven't seen the spreadsheets yet, but my own number crunching (assuming you get the 2k for a computer) says that you get 18,570 your first year to live on. If you divide this over 12 months (assuming you don't get a paid summer gig), you have 1,547 a month. 1,200 in rent only leaves you 347 for absolutely everything else, which is less than 10 bucks a day.

Yikes.

Yeah I couldn't stomach that. I'm already having massive sticker shock since I'm coming from China where I've been living like a queen on $200/month. :shock:

Hooray for a mini-commute and cheap rent !

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun May 15, 2011 7:22 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Z3RO wrote:
Eugenie Danglars wrote:

That makes sense. I mean, I haven't seen the spreadsheets yet, but my own number crunching (assuming you get the 2k for a computer) says that you get 18,570 your first year to live on. If you divide this over 12 months (assuming you don't get a paid summer gig), you have 1,547 a month. 1,200 in rent only leaves you 347 for absolutely everything else, which is less than 10 bucks a day.

Yikes.

Yeah I couldn't stomach that. I'm already having massive sticker shock since I'm coming from China where I've been living like a queen on $200/month. :shock:

Hooray for a mini-commute and cheap rent !

Oh yeah, I can't imagine. My current apartment is off the Morse redline, and we split 770/mo, which is like peanuts.

However, having gotten in off of hold gave me the opportunity to experience the abject horror of apartment shopping in DC. Makes me really appreciate how far money goes in Chicago.

I feel like I've been wrestling a bear and somebody tossed me a shotgun.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Sun May 15, 2011 7:45 pm

Z3RO wrote:I feel like I've been wrestling a bear and somebody tossed me a shotgun.

What did they toss the bear? ;)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Sun May 15, 2011 7:50 pm

Z3RO wrote:That makes sense. I mean, I haven't seen the spreadsheets yet, but my own number crunching (assuming you get the 2k for a computer) says that you get 18,570 your first year to live on. If you divide this over 12 months (assuming you don't get a paid summer gig), you have 1,547 a month. 1,200 in rent only leaves you 347 for absolutely everything else, which is like 10 bucks a day.

Yikes.

I think if you don't get a paid 1L summer gig, you can get a grant or at least additional loan to cover it.

Second of all, thank god I didn't go straight to law school after undergrad.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun May 15, 2011 8:40 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I feel like I've been wrestling a bear and somebody tossed me a shotgun.

What did they toss the bear? ;)

haha, out the window maybe?

Bumi wrote:
Z3RO wrote:That makes sense. I mean, I haven't seen the spreadsheets yet, but my own number crunching (assuming you get the 2k for a computer) says that you get 18,570 your first year to live on. If you divide this over 12 months (assuming you don't get a paid summer gig), you have 1,547 a month. 1,200 in rent only leaves you 347 for absolutely everything else, which is like 10 bucks a day.

Yikes.

I think if you don't get a paid 1L summer gig, you can get a grant or at least additional loan to cover it.

Second of all, thank god I didn't go straight to law school after undergrad.

That's good to know. All the same, I'm figuring out my budget on the assumption that I'm not getting any extra money in the summer.

I agree with you on the right-after-undergrad thing. There are just so many big ticket expenses in addition to trying to save (seat deposits, suits, computers, apartment deposits, etc) that it's gotta be really tough to orchestrate everything without some stored up capital.

sweetclementine

Postby sweetclementine » Sun May 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Coming to Northwestern! Now looking at neighborhoods and apartments. Hoping Streeterville works out if I can contribute some of my own money. Reallyyyy excited!

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Sun May 15, 2011 9:29 pm

sweetclementine wrote:Coming to Northwestern! Now looking at neighborhoods and apartments. Hoping Streeterville works out if I can contribute some of my own money. Reallyyyy excited!

Congrats! I'm super-excited too!

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Mon May 16, 2011 6:34 pm

PSA:
@tweetsbyjohann wrote:fwiw- we participate in the LSAC commitment overlap process.

I hope none of you tried to double deposit!

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon May 16, 2011 8:54 pm

Just found out that Chicago sales tax is 9.75%. O_O

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”