Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
Flustercluck

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flustercluck » Tue May 10, 2011 8:31 pm

casterfield wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Today's discussion adds to my long list of things people should tell you when you choose wrestling over basketball in Jr. High: Nobody every "pickup" wrestles. But if we form an IM team, I'm down for being the spunky 6th man who comes off the bench to play pesky D with fouls to give :) But my old man body will likely only hold up for about half a season!

I actually feel ya on the lack of pickup games, I was water polo all through high school...

Do you still play polo? We should start a team.

It's been years, but I'm up for it if we can get something together, especially considering it'll give me even more motivation to drop that extra 10-15 pounds that've been hanging around since dealing with the LSAT and apps last fall...

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Tue May 10, 2011 11:31 pm

bdubs wrote:
lawandi wrote:Am I insane for wanting to bring a road bike with me to Chicago? I want to exercise by riding the bike trail alongside Lake Michigan. How bad is Chicago weather, really?

I willl be bringing my bike and will definitely ride with whoever is going out! I have a few moderately cold weather bike clothes too, so i will try to stretch the season out as much as possible

Great! I was hoping to find someone to explore the bike trails with me.

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Wed May 11, 2011 7:42 am

Flustercluck wrote:
casterfield wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Today's discussion adds to my long list of things people should tell you when you choose wrestling over basketball in Jr. High: Nobody every "pickup" wrestles. But if we form an IM team, I'm down for being the spunky 6th man who comes off the bench to play pesky D with fouls to give :) But my old man body will likely only hold up for about half a season!

I actually feel ya on the lack of pickup games, I was water polo all through high school...

It's been years, but I'm up for it if we can get something together, especially considering it'll give me even more motivation to drop that extra 10-15 pounds that've been hanging around since dealing with the LSAT and apps last fall...

I know NU has a team in Evanston. If not, maybe there's a city team? I played on a city team in NYC and it was really fun.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 11, 2011 8:26 am

casterfield wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:
casterfield wrote:
Flustercluck wrote:I actually feel ya on the lack of pickup games, I was water polo all through high school...

I know NU has a team in Evanston. If not, maybe there's a city team? I played on a city team in NYC and it was really fun.

Water polo looks like those nightmareish lifeguarding classes I had to take, where the "Struggling Vicitm" just keeps pulling you under...I'd be sorely tempted to take some junk shots if that happened to me.

aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am

Hi everyone. After surviving the ambiguity of the Northwestern "Hold" status, I'm in! Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation week.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:41 am

aesmith wrote:Hi everyone. After surviving the ambiguity of the Northwestern "Hold" status, I'm in! Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation week.

Congrats! Feel free to bring some sauvignon blanc to orientation :)

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed May 11, 2011 11:45 am

aesmith wrote:Hi everyone. After surviving the ambiguity of the Northwestern "Hold" status, I'm in! Looking forward to meeting you all at orientation week.

Congrats! Let me welcome you to the 2014 thread by summarizing what you've missed:
  • The scholarship application is a pain
  • The admit weekends were fun
  • Apartments in streeterville are expensive
  • But some places that are not streeterville are far away
  • Not everyone looks like their avatar
  • Can you play basketball

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:51 am

Bumi wrote:

Congrats! Let me welcome you to the 2014 thread by summarizing what you've missed:

Don't worry. For people admitted off hold they tell you straight up there's no money so the scholarship application is useless haha

aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed May 11, 2011 11:53 am

Flips88 wrote:
Bumi wrote:

Don't worry. For people admitted off hold they tell you straight up there's no money so the scholarship application is useless haha

Accurate statement. I received that lovely email this morning.

Good to know the application was a pain, though...makes me feel a bit better about not having to do it. :D

Unfortunately, I am not a basketball player. However, I am an avid SCUBA diver... Not such a useful hobby in the Midwest, but tons of fun here in South Florida. If anyone is currently in the South Florida area and wants to do some diving before heading north, let me know!

Has anyone used the Student Space for apartment hunting?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed May 11, 2011 1:29 pm

I also recently got in from Hold. I'm so happy that I don't have to move now.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed May 11, 2011 1:31 pm

Congrats to the new admits. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the end of August.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 11, 2011 1:33 pm

aesmith wrote:Has anyone used the Student Space for apartment hunting?

There are some comments earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate: they are decent, but their Streeterville/Gold Coast/Lincoln Park fetish gets a bit old.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 11, 2011 1:34 pm

bjsesq wrote:

There are some comments earlier in this thread, but I'll reiterate: they are decent, but their Streeterville/Gold Coast/Lincoln Park fetish gets a bit old.

I just used craigslist

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:35 pm

bdubs wrote:Congrats to the new admits. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the end of August.

+1

I'm planning on moving up Aug 1st and heading to Lollapalooza so if anyone else in here is a music festival fan, hit me up. I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends crashing at my apartment the first week I'm in Chicago :P

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm

splitmuch wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I just used craigslist

I absolutely hate CL in Chicago. All of the annoying listing agents clog up the postings and it is impossible to find things listed by real people.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed May 11, 2011 1:36 pm

Z3RO wrote:I also recently got in from Hold. I'm so happy that I don't have to move now.

Awesome. Welcome to the class. Can I move in with you?

Ha just kidding. But no seriously can I?

aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed May 11, 2011 1:37 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:Congrats to the new admits. Looking forward to meeting everyone at the end of August.

+1

I'm planning on moving up Aug 1st and heading to Lollapalooza so if anyone else in here is a music festival fan, hit me up. I think I'll have like 4 or 5 friends crashing at my apartment the first week I'm in Chicago :P

That is my plan too! I am hoping that my stuff arrives right around August 1st so that I can unpack before Lolla.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:40 pm

aesmith wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

+1

That is my plan too! I am hoping that my stuff arrives right around August 1st so that I can unpack before Lolla.

Have you been before?

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Wed May 11, 2011 1:40 pm

Bumi wrote:
Z3RO wrote:I also recently got in from Hold. I'm so happy that I don't have to move now.

Awesome. Welcome to the class. Can I move in with you?

Ha just kidding. But no seriously can I?

Haha, well I actually live with my girlfriend so it's not my decision alone.

Thanks to everybody else. Super excited to meet all of you at orientation. Until then, I'll be working working working...

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 pm

bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

I just used craigslist

I absolutely hate CL in Chicago. All of the annoying listing agents clog up the postings and it is impossible to find things listed by real people.

I actually ended up finding one through a listing agent. The process was somewhat annoying but I ended up getting a nice place 5 blocks from campus for just over 3k (its a 3 br).

I also may be there for lolla.

Bumi

Postby Bumi » Wed May 11, 2011 1:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
splitmuch wrote:I just used craigslist

I add "-ginger -jake" in all of my searches. I am so tired of seeing their faces.

splitmuch

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 11, 2011 1:49 pm

Bumi wrote:
bdubs wrote:

I add "-ginger -jake" in all of my searches. I am so tired of seeing their faces.

hahahahha

EDIT: As much as alot of those listing agents were annoying, I will give props to John from 33realty, he gets shit done. If you are still looking I'd recommend checking out their site.
Last edited by splitmuch on Wed May 11, 2011 1:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aesmith

Postby aesmith » Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 pm

Flips88 wrote:
aesmith wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

+1

Have you been before?

I went to Lolla last year for all 3 days. I am really looking forward to it again this year.

Have you gone before?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:52 pm

aesmith wrote:
I went to Lolla last year for all 3 days. I am really looking forward to it again this year.

Have you gone before?

I've gone '06, '08, '09, '10. I'm excited to go to 2011 as a Chicago resident.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:55 pm

Bumi wrote:
bdubs wrote:

Eugenie recommended it in another thread by there's http://www.domu.com/ which seems much less of a clusterfuck than craigslist. I think I'm going up July 1st to look at places before picking one because I don't trust craigslist postings.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”