Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Fri May 06, 2011 6:17 am

FredFlinstone wrote:LOL. Typo...

Eugenia, you really don't mind taking a bus to school every day? And if it's before 9, do you just plan on staying on campus the entire day... or what? I'm just curious because I've been debating whether to live near campus or not. :?


I don't mind. I like having some space between home and school. Also I'm going to be living with someone, and we needed a mutually convenient location (blue line and a way to NU). And yes, I'm planning to bring a lunch and stay for the day most days. I don't do too well with crazy hours, and this seems the best way to keep things sane.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 8:20 am

cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra


That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.


Yeah :( and yeah! :D

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Fri May 06, 2011 12:23 pm

Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

Homestyle - it'll depend on where you want to live, but if you're buying don't restrict yourself to the immediate environs. Prices are a LOT cheaper as you get further away. I live in Lake County, which gives an automatic drop in property tax (although still twice as much as my parents pay in Arizona) and sales tax. Public transportation means you can get to the city from damn near anywhere. You're in a fantastic position to be buying property right now, as the market is glutted with short sales and the like. Hell, if you want to live further north than me (but close to the same train line that I take) I've got friends trying to sell their house for around $110k. Perfect for a small family!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 12:35 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

Homestyle - it'll depend on where you want to live, but if you're buying don't restrict yourself to the immediate environs. Prices are a LOT cheaper as you get further away. I live in Lake County, which gives an automatic drop in property tax (although still twice as much as my parents pay in Arizona) and sales tax. Public transportation means you can get to the city from damn near anywhere. You're in a fantastic position to be buying property right now, as the market is glutted with short sales and the like. Hell, if you want to live further north than me (but close to the same train line that I take) I've got friends trying to sell their house for around $110k. Perfect for a small family!


I'm hoping to keep the commute under an hour via transit. But I do think that it's a good time to buy in Chitown for sure. Hard to imagine that homes that have dropped ~40% of value can drop much more. and from a cash flow perspective we're looking at ~1300/month all told to buy 3-4 beds, and you just can't find apartments with that kind of space for that price.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby cubswin » Fri May 06, 2011 1:39 pm

ArghItsBlarg wrote:Dude, my commute is an hour and a half each way. Berwyn is nothing.

Homestyle - it'll depend on where you want to live, but if you're buying don't restrict yourself to the immediate environs. Prices are a LOT cheaper as you get further away. I live in Lake County, which gives an automatic drop in property tax (although still twice as much as my parents pay in Arizona) and sales tax. Public transportation means you can get to the city from damn near anywhere. You're in a fantastic position to be buying property right now, as the market is glutted with short sales and the like. Hell, if you want to live further north than me (but close to the same train line that I take) I've got friends trying to sell their house for around $110k. Perfect for a small family!


It's over an hour, with 2 transfers. I'd certainly call that something, even if your commute is worse.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:10 pm

cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra


That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.

Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:13 pm

While I'm not saying it's nothing, at least there's a solid 1/2 hour on 1 train, I'm hoping that makes for easier commuting.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Fri May 06, 2011 2:14 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra


That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.

Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|


No, i have had really good Mexican food in the Lakeview area. You could also do upscale Mexican at Topolobampo, but that is not an every day thing :-)

I would like suggestions for what current Chicagoans think is the "best" Mexican in the city.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SMA22 » Fri May 06, 2011 2:51 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
cubswin wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:Looking out around Berwyn, it's a working class neighborhood with affordable prices and lower property taxes. Also serviced by both the El and Metra


That's going to be quite a commute. But you can get some epic Mexican food in Berwyn.

Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|


No, i have had really good Mexican food in the Lakeview area. You could also do upscale Mexican at Topolobampo, but that is not an every day thing :-)

I would like suggestions for what current Chicagoans think is the "best" Mexican in the city.


I love anything down in Pilsen foodwise :D

FredFlinstone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby FredFlinstone » Fri May 06, 2011 2:52 pm

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
I don't mind. I like having some space between home and school. Also I'm going to be living with someone, and we needed a mutually convenient location (blue line and a way to NU). And yes, I'm planning to bring a lunch and stay for the day most days. I don't do too well with crazy hours, and this seems the best way to keep things sane.


Ahh... I see I see. Sounds like a good way to make sure you stay on top of your case summaries too!

User avatar
EarlCat
Posts: 610
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby EarlCat » Fri May 06, 2011 10:32 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Is the corollary of this that one must commute an hour out of downtown to find decent Mexican food in Chicago? :|


I like Su Casa, which is pretty close to school.

Also, for those of you who don't want to commute to school, rent my apartment (LinkRemoved).

FredFlinstone
Posts: 20
Joined: Thu May 05, 2011 4:11 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby FredFlinstone » Mon May 09, 2011 2:10 am

This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby lawandi » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 am

FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?


Read a couple 0L books, find housing, figure out parking and gym membership, maybe buy some warm jackets (yuck).
Most of all... RELAX and mentally prepare myself!

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2314
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:21 am

FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?


Dude, I've got a long to do do list

1) sell my house
2) buy a house
3) find childcare
4) Move
5) Get settled in
6) Get nerdy with MS Onenote
7) Reduce caffeine intake
8) drop 10 lbs
...

well it looks better typed out than when it's consuming space in my head.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon May 09, 2011 9:25 am

For me:
1) Finish Peace Corps service
2) Move back to America
3) Relearn English
4) Get tested for exotic diseases
5) Move to Chicago
Rock on!`

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13640
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 09, 2011 9:29 am

FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?

1)Inca Trail to Macchu Pichu in 3 weeks
2)Find an apartment in Chicago
3)Spend lots of time with friends this summer
4)Move to Chicago
5)Lollapalooza (ETA: I will probably have at least 5 people crashing on my floor the first weekend I'm living in Chicago for this. 8) )
6)Be a groomsman in a wedding
7)Start classes
8 )????
9)Profit

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Mon May 09, 2011 10:07 am

  • Finish or transfer all my projects off to other people at my job
  • Hang out constantly with my girlfriend at the river
  • Get an apartment in Chicago
  • Buy a jacket
  • Get rid of 2/3 of my possessions so I can fit in said apartment.
  • Move
  • Get broken up with by aforementioned girlfriend because she doesn't want to date long distance
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Buy books
  • Drink

ArghItsBlarg
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Mon May 09, 2011 10:16 am

Crap, Onenote. I forgot I have to learn that. Time to get my nerd on!

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SMA22 » Mon May 09, 2011 11:31 am

Bumi wrote:
  • Finish or transfer all my projects off to other people at my job
  • Hang out constantly with my girlfriend at the river
  • Get an apartment in Chicago
  • Buy a jacket
  • Get rid of 2/3 of my possessions so I can fit in said apartment.
  • Move
  • Get broken up with by aforementioned girlfriend because she doesn't want to date long distance
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Drink
  • Buy books
  • Drink


Minus the whole breakup stuff, I'll generally be doing what you're doing...

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 12:34 pm

FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?


  • Vaction in Turkey for 3 weeks!
  • Find a renter for my place
  • Rent a place in Chicago
  • Quit working (July cannot come soon enough)
  • Law Preview (yes, i'm that crazy)
  • Move to Chicago
  • Party hardy for 3-4 weeks (how serious is orientation?)
  • Stop messing around and start classes

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby splitmuch » Mon May 09, 2011 1:12 pm

bdubs wrote:
FredFlinstone wrote:This forum is so dead...

What's on everyones to-do list this summer?


  • Vaction in Turkey for 3 weeks!
  • Find a renter for my place
  • Rent a place in Chicago
  • Quit working (July cannot come soon enough)
  • Law Preview (yes, i'm that crazy)
  • Move to Chicago
  • Party hardy for 3-4 weeks (how serious is orientation?)
  • Stop messing around and start classes


What is law preview?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13640
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 09, 2011 1:14 pm

splitmuch wrote:
What is law preview?

It's like a one week crash prep course for law school that some people (*cough* gunners *cough*) do

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 1:18 pm

Flips88 wrote:
splitmuch wrote:
What is law preview?

It's like a one week crash prep course for law school that some people (*cough* gunners *cough*) do


Yeah, it's a combination of gunnerishness and terror that is driving me to take it.

http://www.lawpreview.com/

SHarry3666
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:13 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SHarry3666 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:24 pm

There's a scholarship to Law Preview for Northwestern Admits sponsored by Latham & Watkins (http://www.lawpreview.com/latham-watkins). The application deadline is tomorrow -- 5/10. It seems like all you need to do to qualify is matriculate at NWU in the fall:

Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship Criteria
To be eligible to become a Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship recipient, applicants must be enrolled to begin classes at New York University School of Law, Northwestern University School of Law or University of Chicago Law School in the fall of 2011. Online applications are available and will be accepted now until May 10, 2011. A selection panel will evaluate all completed applications, and scholarship recipients will be notified via email by June 1, 2011.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Mon May 09, 2011 3:27 pm

SHarry3666 wrote:There's a scholarship to Law Preview for Northwestern Admits sponsored by Latham & Watkins (http://www.lawpreview.com/latham-watkins). The application deadline is tomorrow -- 5/10. It seems like all you need to do to qualify is matriculate at NWU in the fall:

Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship Criteria
To be eligible to become a Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship recipient, applicants must be enrolled to begin classes at New York University School of Law, Northwestern University School of Law or University of Chicago Law School in the fall of 2011. Online applications are available and will be accepted now until May 10, 2011. A selection panel will evaluate all completed applications, and scholarship recipients will be notified via email by June 1, 2011.


"The Latham & Watkins Law Preview Scholarship program is among several firm initiatives designed to promote diversity in the legal profession." -- I would think twice about spending time on an app unless you are a minority, particularly one of the under represented type.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest