Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed May 04, 2011 7:23 am

Aine wrote:
Depends what kind of law you want to get into. I spoke with Prof Sarah Schrup (who runs the appellate advocacy program) and she won me over. NU has such great clinics! I also loved walking along Michigan Ave, having an overpriced but delicious lunch at the cafe in the new wing of the art museum, and exploring the city a little on my own.


Thanks for sharing! I'm already committed and all, but it's nice to be reassured by people who've seen the school in the flesh (in the stone?). :D

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SMA22 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:45 am

Aine wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Question: does anyone feel it's necessary to visit Chicago and check out apartments before signing a lease? I know it's the prudent thing to do as a renter, but it's cost a pretty penny to do so. Any thoughts?


I will definitely be visiting to apartment hunt. There's so much you can't see in a few crappy photos on craigslist or whatever.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I may try to visit on 4th of july weekend so I have a long weekend to look at a handful of places and pick one. I saw one place online that listed the bedroom size as 6'x13'. wtf is up with that?


Yeah it worries me too. I'm on the other side of the globe at the moment, and will be until a few weeks before orientation. I've asked family to look at apartments for me. Do you have any friends/family in Chicago? Maybe you could do the same?

If you're living in one of the big Streeterville complexes though, I think you're probably safe. I get the impression all of those apartments are pretty much the same, and minus the fancy furniture, look pretty much the same in person as they do online.



+1, Streeterville was all pretty generic and straightforward. Other neighborhoods, yeah, it's worth the visit.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:47 am

SMA22 wrote:
+1, Streeterville was all pretty generic and straightforward. Other neighborhoods, yeah, it's worth the visit.

K. Looks like I should book a visit sometime then. Gotta spend money to spend money. wait, that's not how the saying goes

kobebeef
Posts: 52
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:43 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby kobebeef » Wed May 04, 2011 10:48 am

Aine wrote:
kobebeef wrote: To those that attended ASW, how helpful was it for you in deciding to attend?


Very, but that's no use to you now! :)

kobebeef wrote:I was wondering who I can speak to or where I can visit that can help me make a decision: (ie. faculty you spoke to, visiting the downtown area, checking out the living situation, persuasiveness of their admissions dept. etc) Something to replicate the ASW experience.


Depends what kind of law you want to get into. I spoke with Prof Sarah Schrup (who runs the appellate advocacy program) and she won me over. NU has such great clinics! I also loved walking along Michigan Ave, having an overpriced but delicious lunch at the cafe in the new wing of the art museum, and exploring the city a little on my own.


I think that's what I'll do. Thanks! It's refreshing to talk to prospectives that are actually excited about their choice.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Wed May 04, 2011 10:52 am

Flips88 wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
+1, Streeterville was all pretty generic and straightforward. Other neighborhoods, yeah, it's worth the visit.

K. Looks like I should book a visit sometime then. Gotta spend money to spend money. wait, that's not how the saying goes

I'll probably be doing this too. I'm just worried that I'll go up there in early June to find an apartment and still all of the apartments are available for July only, so I'd have to then go up AGAIN in July to get a place. I think if that happens give up on being choosy and move into McClurg.

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 10:55 am

Bumi wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
+1, Streeterville was all pretty generic and straightforward. Other neighborhoods, yeah, it's worth the visit.

K. Looks like I should book a visit sometime then. Gotta spend money to spend money. wait, that's not how the saying goes

I'll probably be doing this too. I'm just worried that I'll go up there in early June to find an apartment and still all of the apartments are available for July only, so I'd have to then go up AGAIN in July to get a place. I think if that happens give up on being choosy and move into McClurg.

Yeah I'm going on a trip abroad at the end of May/early June. I'll get back on the 7th and look for places online during mid and late June and narrow it down to 5 or 6 places to visit. Fly out the 30th, come back on the 4th with a place hopefully locked down.

User avatar
SMA22
Posts: 275
Joined: Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:42 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SMA22 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:02 am

Flips88 wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
SMA22 wrote:
+1, Streeterville was all pretty generic and straightforward. Other neighborhoods, yeah, it's worth the visit.

K. Looks like I should book a visit sometime then. Gotta spend money to spend money. wait, that's not how the saying goes

I'll probably be doing this too. I'm just worried that I'll go up there in early June to find an apartment and still all of the apartments are available for July only, so I'd have to then go up AGAIN in July to get a place. I think if that happens give up on being choosy and move into McClurg.

Yeah I'm going on a trip abroad at the end of May/early June. I'll get back on the 7th and look for places online during mid and late June and narrow it down to 5 or 6 places to visit. Fly out the 30th, come back on the 4th with a place hopefully locked down.


You guys will probably be okay; some of the units were requiring 60 days notice for moves now. I got my place in early April for a mid-June move. There were units open for a July move already when I went. Even if you find a building you like and they don't have a unit available just yet, they can call you when one opens up. For the most part, nothing changes but the view out the window depending on what floor you're on, so you'll likely be okay. But yes, spend money to spend money pretty much sums it up.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Wed May 04, 2011 11:07 am

SMA22 wrote:You guys will probably be okay; some of the units were requiring 60 days notice for moves now. I got my place in early April for a mid-June move. There were units open for a July move already when I went. Even if you find a building you like and they don't have a unit available just yet, they can call you when one opens up. For the most part, nothing changes but the view out the window depending on what floor you're on, so you'll likely be okay. But yes, spend money to spend money pretty much sums it up.


As long as I don't talk myself into doing something crazy, like renting an apartment for July when I can't move in earlier than August 4th or so, I at least won't be spending TOO money to spend money.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed May 04, 2011 11:12 am

I am on the waitlist at one building in streeterville that didn't charge me any fees to put my name down (they are on the high end of rents though). If you are nervous about a place I would see if you can do that.

I think i'm actually going to end up living with a friend in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. Anyone else thinking of doing the red line thing every day?

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 11:26 am

bdubs wrote:I am on the waitlist at one building in streeterville that didn't charge me any fees to put my name down (they are on the high end of rents though). If you are nervous about a place I would see if you can do that.

I think i'm actually going to end up living with a friend in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. Anyone else thinking of doing the red line thing every day?

Yeah I'm planning on Lakeview or Lincoln Park near the red line. I'd rather pay $900 a month in rent there than $1200 a month in Streeterville

User avatar
SemperLegal
Posts: 1333
Joined: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby SemperLegal » Wed May 04, 2011 11:55 am

bdubs wrote:I am on the waitlist at one building in streeterville that didn't charge me any fees to put my name down (they are on the high end of rents though). If you are nervous about a place I would see if you can do that.

I think i'm actually going to end up living with a friend in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. Anyone else thinking of doing the red line thing every day?


Wrigleyview's rent has seduced me, especially considering the fact we get free transit passes

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Wed May 04, 2011 12:22 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:I am on the waitlist at one building in streeterville that didn't charge me any fees to put my name down (they are on the high end of rents though). If you are nervous about a place I would see if you can do that.

I think i'm actually going to end up living with a friend in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. Anyone else thinking of doing the red line thing every day?

Yeah I'm planning on Lakeview or Lincoln Park near the red line. I'd rather pay $900 a month in rent there than $1200 a month in Streeterville


I would rather live closer, based on my experience as an undergrad living various distances from school. I'll definitely take the red line up there to drink with you guys, though.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:16 pm

Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed May 04, 2011 1:17 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Doesn't work for new admit netIDs.
Last edited by bdubs on Wed May 04, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Wed May 04, 2011 1:18 pm

Bumi wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
bdubs wrote:I am on the waitlist at one building in streeterville that didn't charge me any fees to put my name down (they are on the high end of rents though). If you are nervous about a place I would see if you can do that.

I think i'm actually going to end up living with a friend in the Lakeview/Wrigleyville area. Anyone else thinking of doing the red line thing every day?

Yeah I'm planning on Lakeview or Lincoln Park near the red line. I'd rather pay $900 a month in rent there than $1200 a month in Streeterville


I would rather live closer, based on my experience as an undergrad living various distances from school. I'll definitely take the red line up there to drink with you guys, though.


Yeah I felt the same way in undergrad. Nothing was better than napping between classes.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 04, 2011 1:19 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Don't post that online.

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Wed May 04, 2011 1:21 pm

bdubs wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Doesn't work for new admit netIDs.


If you're looking for numbers, Brian Leiter has some good stuff.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:23 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Don't post that online.


Would PM-ing it be ok, if a current student were willing? I'm committed to NU and won't spread the data around.


Aine wrote:If you're looking for numbers, Brian Leiter has some good stuff.

I've seen the total clerkships/Art III clerkship numbers, but I was interested in seeing which specific courts NU students were placed in.
Last edited by rinkrat19 on Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby bjsesq » Wed May 04, 2011 1:26 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Don't post that online.


Would PM-ing it be ok, if a current student were willing? I'm committed to NU and won't spread the data around.

Sure, I can email it to you at your n-law address. PM it to me and I'll get it to you asap.

User avatar
rinkrat19
Posts: 13918
Joined: Sat Sep 25, 2010 5:35 am

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 04, 2011 1:27 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Hey, kids! Can someone with a netID access this spreadsheet for me and post or PM me the results? (Also, does anyone see a problem with doing that? I don't want to get anyone--especially myself!--in trouble.)

I was looking for a list of which clerkships NU students have gotten in recent years, and this looked like the likeliest suspect, but my poor little deferred self can't access it.

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/career ... a_2010.xls

If it doesn't work for new admits with netIDs, I assume a current student can get to it.


Don't post that online.


Would PM-ing it be ok, if a current student were willing? I'm committed to NU and won't spread the data around.

Sure, I can email it to you at your n-law address. PM it to me and I'll get it to you asap.

I don't have an N-law addy, because I'm deferred to 2012. No netID yet. (Edit: So I guess you could say I'm not technically "committed" to NU, except by my own plans and the $1500 in seat deposits I've sent in so far.)

User avatar
Flips88
Posts: 13671
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 4:00 pm

I just received my financial aid package. 0 aid and expected to contribute $3,000 myself, which coincidentally is my entire savings account. Thanks NU! :roll:

splitmuch
Posts: 968
Joined: Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:27 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby splitmuch » Wed May 04, 2011 4:38 pm

Flips88 wrote:I just received my financial aid package. 0 aid and expected to contribute $3,000 myself, which coincidentally is my entire savings account. Thanks NU! :roll:



+1

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Bumi » Wed May 04, 2011 5:21 pm

Flips88 wrote:I just received my financial aid package. 0 aid and expected to contribute $3,000 myself, which coincidentally is my entire savings account. Thanks NU! :roll:


Sorry about the 0 aid. But I'm assuming that $3000 is your EFC and that your spreadsheet looks pretty much like mine looks. They will still loan you that $3000 in grad plus loans to get you up to the expected COA of $77k, so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. They deduct the "Total Resources" from the estimated COA to get the Total Need number which I think is used in calculations (% of demonstrated need met by grants, etc) but isn't a number that really impacts you in real life.

User avatar
Eugenie Danglars
Posts: 2353
Joined: Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:04 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Wed May 04, 2011 6:51 pm

Bumi wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I just received my financial aid package. 0 aid and expected to contribute $3,000 myself, which coincidentally is my entire savings account. Thanks NU! :roll:


Sorry about the 0 aid. But I'm assuming that $3000 is your EFC and that your spreadsheet looks pretty much like mine looks. They will still loan you that $3000 in grad plus loans to get you up to the expected COA of $77k, so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. They deduct the "Total Resources" from the estimated COA to get the Total Need number which I think is used in calculations (% of demonstrated need met by grants, etc) but isn't a number that really impacts you in real life.


Yeah, I was curious about that $3000...I don't have it. After two years in the Peace Corps after putting myself through college- no $3000 lying around lol

User avatar
Aine
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:54 pm

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby Aine » Thu May 05, 2011 1:17 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:
Bumi wrote:
Flips88 wrote:I just received my financial aid package. 0 aid and expected to contribute $3,000 myself, which coincidentally is my entire savings account. Thanks NU! :roll:


Sorry about the 0 aid. But I'm assuming that $3000 is your EFC and that your spreadsheet looks pretty much like mine looks. They will still loan you that $3000 in grad plus loans to get you up to the expected COA of $77k, so you don't have to use it if you don't want to. They deduct the "Total Resources" from the estimated COA to get the Total Need number which I think is used in calculations (% of demonstrated need met by grants, etc) but isn't a number that really impacts you in real life.


Yeah, I was curious about that $3000...I don't have it. After two years in the Peace Corps after putting myself through college- no $3000 lying around lol


You're doing such a great thing though --the Peace Corps is an impressive commitment.




Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest