Northwestern Law Class of 2014

(housing, friendships, future exams, all things 2014)
rinkrat19

Re: Northwestern Law Class of 2014

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun May 01, 2011 3:38 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Do you live in Streeterville or farther from school?

River West. The 66 runs all night and drops me off a block from my place. I could never live in Streeterville. It's too busy, too packed, and way too friggin expensive.

I had assumed most people lived in neighboring areas with cheaper rent, except for wealthy people who aren't concerned with price. But I was really surprised with how many people (almost every current student I talked to at ASW) said that most people without families live in Streeterville for 1L year.

Is it just because they don't know better coming in, or are there any benefits besides the short commute? Is it valuable to live in a relatively concentrated population of fellow students? Is 1L such a shock to the system that eliminating the commute is worth more than just the 20-30 minutes you save?

I don't care so much about nightlife, but I would definitely not mind being able to walk to campus.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun May 01, 2011 3:45 pm

rinkrat19 wrote:Is it just because they don't know better coming in, or are there any benefits besides the short commute? Is it valuable to live in a relatively concentrated population of fellow students? Is 1L such a shock to the system that eliminating the commute is worth more than just the 20-30 minutes you save?

Anecdotal from classmates I know living in Streeterville: 1/2 would do it that way again, 1/2 wouldn't. Proximity to school is obviously the biggest plus. The largest drawback: you live in this little 5 block bubble where you get out for an event with friends and then go right back to the bubble. I don't know how I could decompress living like that. You should definitely try to make some friends outside of school.

1L is not that hard. Seriously. Most of the suffering is self inflicted. Of course, if you are insanely determined to be lawl review and top of your class, ymmv.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:00 pm

bjsesq wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:Is it just because they don't know better coming in, or are there any benefits besides the short commute? Is it valuable to live in a relatively concentrated population of fellow students? Is 1L such a shock to the system that eliminating the commute is worth more than just the 20-30 minutes you save?

Anecdotal from classmates I know living in Streeterville: 1/2 would do it that way again, 1/2 wouldn't. Proximity to school is obviously the biggest plus. The largest drawback: you live in this little 5 block bubble where you get out for an event with friends and then go right back to the bubble. I don't know how I could decompress living like that. You should definitely try to make some friends outside of school.

1L is not that hard. Seriously. Most of the suffering is self inflicted. Of course, if you are insanely determined to be lawl review and top of your class, ymmv.

Know anyone that live in the university housing? It seems pretty expensive for what I'm guessing is not that great a place. I'm mostly interested in an unfurnished place because frankly I could not handle sleeping in a twin bed.

Right now, I'm seeing places available for June 1 and July 1. Am I going to have to wait a little longer for Aug 1 leases to show up?

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Sun May 01, 2011 4:01 pm

Flips88 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Know anyone that live in the university housing? It seems pretty expensive for what I'm guessing is not that great a place. I'm mostly interested in an unfurnished place because frankly I could not handle sleeping in a twin bed.

Right now, I'm seeing places available for June 1 and July 1. Am I going to have to wait a little longer for Aug 1 leases to show up?

I'm assuming you are talking about Abbot House, and I'm sorry but I don't know anyone living there. I wish I could give you more information.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:13 pm

bjsesq wrote:I'm assuming you are talking about Abbot House, and I'm sorry but I don't know anyone living there. I wish I could give you more information.

No problem. Thanks for all your other insight.

Eugenie Danglars

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Sun May 01, 2011 10:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:Right now, I'm seeing places available for June 1 and July 1. Am I going to have to wait a little longer for Aug 1 leases to show up?

I just finished up extensive apt hunting with my roommate (he needs it Jul1), and I didn't see a single place listed for Aug 1. I'm sure some are negotiable, though.

Also, the Student Space realtor was kind of a joke. He sent us properties that didn't match the requirements we sent him and that were almost twice as expensive as the better places we found on our own. Renter beware. :-)

Aine

Postby Aine » Mon May 02, 2011 1:58 am

bjsesq wrote:Proximity to school is obviously the biggest plus. The largest drawback: you live in this little 5 block bubble where you get out for an event with friends and then go right back to the bubble. I don't know how I could decompress living like that. You should definitely try to make some friends outside of school.

Ah this is what I'm struggling with. I love the idea of living close to school (not a morning person, massively forgetful, etc) but I also hate the thought of being surrounded by nothing but stressed out law students all the time.

Gahhh decisions decisions.

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 02, 2011 8:16 am

Aine wrote:
bjsesq wrote:Proximity to school is obviously the biggest plus. The largest drawback: you live in this little 5 block bubble where you get out for an event with friends and then go right back to the bubble. I don't know how I could decompress living like that. You should definitely try to make some friends outside of school.

Ah this is what I'm struggling with. I love the idea of living close to school (not a morning person, massively forgetful, etc) but I also hate the thought of being surrounded by nothing but stressed out law students all the time.

I don't understand what you mean, btw have you started outlining yet? ;)

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Mon May 02, 2011 8:29 am

Eugenie Danglars wrote:Also, the Student Space realtor was kind of a joke. He sent us properties that didn't match the requirements we sent him and that were almost twice as expensive as the better places we found on our own. Renter beware. :-)

They are nice guys, but their emphasis on Gold Coast/Lincoln Park/Streeterville is a bit much.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:10 am

I've decided that I won't live in Streeterville. I'm going to wait a few weeks to keep searching so more August 1st lease opening will be posted, but I'm going to try to live somewhere very near to a red line stop. I'll be mailing my deposit during my lunch break today!

Aine

Postby Aine » Mon May 02, 2011 2:26 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:

Ha what do you think I've been doing with my deferral?

homestyle28

Postby homestyle28 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:29 pm

Aine wrote:
homestyle28 wrote:
Aine wrote:

Ha what do you think I've been doing with my deferral?

Oh yeah me too, totally...I actually spent the entire year posing as a 1l at a local school, this way the classes will all be review for me...

this'll be funnier in a few months when I try to pull the "yeah I've been studying" bit while at the same time watching hulu in class :)

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Mon May 02, 2011 2:41 pm

We need more representation in the TLS CO 2014 thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921&start=500

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon May 02, 2011 2:44 pm

bdubs wrote:We need more representation in the TLS CO 2014 thread

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=125921&start=500

BOOM.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Mon May 02, 2011 6:23 pm

Just accepted!!! This is completely unexpected, as I'm a splitter coming straight out of UG. I have a lot to learn about where to live, etc...

Aine

Postby Aine » Tue May 03, 2011 2:08 am

lawandi wrote:Just accepted!!! This is completely unexpected, as I'm a splitter coming straight out of UG. I have a lot to learn about where to live, etc...

Congrats & welcome!! Check out the housing survey on the admitted students website, it should help a little :)

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstudent/

fjsms

Postby fjsms » Tue May 03, 2011 11:28 am

Aine wrote:

It's so dependent on personal preference. I've lived in the downtown of a medium-sized urban area for the past 4 years. I barely leave a 1-mile radius, walk to work and can see my home from my office window- but this actually makes it easier for me to work/life balance and compartmentalize. It's easy for me to "get away" on the weekend, because doing something as simple as getting in my car and driving (even to, say, Target) is a change in routine. If I have to take care of something at home during the day, I can do so with little interruption. And, like you mentioned, I never worry too much about forgetting something. I spend less time commuting, so I get more time with my SO and for various activities. I know Chicago well, and there are some great neighborhoods, but I will be living in Streeterville. The benefits of living close (including, IMO, the reduced stress) justify the cost/smaller space for me.
Just wanted to give an alternative view.

lawandi

Postby lawandi » Tue May 03, 2011 6:51 pm

Aine wrote:
lawandi wrote:Just accepted!!! This is completely unexpected, as I'm a splitter coming straight out of UG. I have a lot to learn about where to live, etc...

Congrats & welcome!! Check out the housing survey on the admitted students website, it should help a little :)

https://www.law.northwestern.edu/newstudent/

Thanks! I want to find a roommate via the facebook group, but no one has verified my membership yet :/. I guess the group managers are in finals...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:44 pm

Question: does anyone feel it's necessary to visit Chicago and check out apartments before signing a lease? I know it's the prudent thing to do as a renter, but it's cost a pretty penny to do so. Any thoughts?

kobebeef

Postby kobebeef » Tue May 03, 2011 11:55 pm

I actually dropped two deposits at northwestern and gulc and i'm having trouble deciding. To those that attended ASW, how helpful was it for you in deciding to attend? To those that had the two options, what made you ultimately choose NU? I'm planning on visiting next week and I was wondering who I can speak to or where I can visit that can help me make a decision: (ie. faculty you spoke to, visiting the downtown area, checking out the living situation, persuasiveness of their admissions dept. etc) Something to replicate the ASW experience.

I really wish I went to their ASW!

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:10 am

Flips88 wrote:Question: does anyone feel it's necessary to visit Chicago and check out apartments before signing a lease? I know it's the prudent thing to do as a renter, but it's cost a pretty penny to do so. Any thoughts?

I will definitely be visiting to apartment hunt. There's so much you can't see in a few crappy photos on craigslist or whatever.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Wed May 04, 2011 12:12 am

rinkrat19 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Question: does anyone feel it's necessary to visit Chicago and check out apartments before signing a lease? I know it's the prudent thing to do as a renter, but it's cost a pretty penny to do so. Any thoughts?

I will definitely be visiting to apartment hunt. There's so much you can't see in a few crappy photos on craigslist or whatever.

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I may try to visit on 4th of july weekend so I have a long weekend to look at a handful of places and pick one. I saw one place online that listed the bedroom size as 6'x13'. wtf is up with that?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed May 04, 2011 12:39 am

kobebeef wrote:I actually dropped two deposits at northwestern and gulc and i'm having trouble deciding. To those that attended ASW, how helpful was it for you in deciding to attend? To those that had the two options, what made you ultimately choose NU? I'm planning on visiting next week and I was wondering who I can speak to or where I can visit that can help me make a decision: (ie. faculty you spoke to, visiting the downtown area, checking out the living situation, persuasiveness of their admissions dept. etc) Something to replicate the ASW experience.

I really wish I went to their ASW!

I currently live in DC and have family in Chicago. I had actually been to both campuses before ASWs, but I went anyway.

I would say that NU has a much more personal feel, the ASW was smaller (even though there was only one to GULCs 2 or 3) and the people were more friendly. GULC had a larger admit to student ratio (probably 20 admits per 1 student involved) whereas NU seemed to have more like 5 admits for every student.

GULC's area doesn't compare much to NUs. The area of DC that GULC is in is pretty dead, you have to walk for several blocks to even get to an area that is inhabited by people. NU is in a neighborhood of high rise condo and apartment buildings, very close to Michigan Ave which is basically the 5th Ave of Chicago.

I believe you have a much larger cost difference than I had to face, but from the feel of the schools I certainly like NU a lot better.

Disclaimer: I also knew a couple of GULC law grads who had a tough time on the job market that made me a little hesitant. I also know a few who were rockstars and got amazing firm and government positions. Both extremes are well represented in a class that large.

Aine

Postby Aine » Wed May 04, 2011 6:02 am

Flips88 wrote:
rinkrat19 wrote:

Yeah that's what I'm afraid of. I may try to visit on 4th of july weekend so I have a long weekend to look at a handful of places and pick one. I saw one place online that listed the bedroom size as 6'x13'. wtf is up with that?

Yeah it worries me too. I'm on the other side of the globe at the moment, and will be until a few weeks before orientation. I've asked family to look at apartments for me. Do you have any friends/family in Chicago? Maybe you could do the same?

If you're living in one of the big Streeterville complexes though, I think you're probably safe. I get the impression all of those apartments are pretty much the same, and minus the fancy furniture, look pretty much the same in person as they do online.

Aine

Postby Aine » Wed May 04, 2011 7:00 am

kobebeef wrote: To those that attended ASW, how helpful was it for you in deciding to attend?

Very, but that's no use to you now! :)

kobebeef wrote:I was wondering who I can speak to or where I can visit that can help me make a decision: (ie. faculty you spoke to, visiting the downtown area, checking out the living situation, persuasiveness of their admissions dept. etc) Something to replicate the ASW experience.

Depends what kind of law you want to get into. I spoke with Prof Sarah Schrup (who runs the appellate advocacy program) and she won me over. NU has such great clinics! I also loved walking along Michigan Ave, having an overpriced but delicious lunch at the cafe in the new wing of the art museum, and exploring the city a little on my own.

Return to “TLS Class of 2014 Forum”